Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 08-01-2020, 10:43 AM   #1
superyob
Banned

Default Boss DS1 distortion pedal

If you are not a guitarist, this will not interest you.

Does this pedal work well with single coils? Can it deliver a bluesy sound? Or is the Boss blues driver a better option?

Yes, I know the difference between distortion and overdrive...
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2020, 11:10 AM   #2
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Re: Boss DS1 distortion pedal

You want the “brown sound”?

You’re asking others to hear as you through your ears when you play, it’s not possible.

Can you borrow or hire to compare? And why not the 808, or for that matter the FuzzFace?

I think the DS-1 is more resaleable if you don’t like it.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2020, 02:50 PM   #3
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wouldn't use it for blues. I never found it a nice pedal stock but modded it worked well for heavier stuff or lead.
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-01-2020, 05:50 PM   #4
superyob
Banned

Have you ever used a tube screamer CB? The DS1 caught my eye as it is a cheap distortion pedal, but I am inclined to go for a blues driver. I do have all these effects built into my Boss Katana but managing the sounds via the FS6 foot switch can be a bit unwieldy.
Old 08-01-2020, 05:58 PM   #5
CJR09
RPO 77

I second an 808 - or better yet a ts9

If you have not heard of chappers and the captain from Anderton's fame check them out on you tube - they do a screamer or weaner soundoff for killer blues tone on a stock vintage strat

Q: If you have tried to sell it three times now and it is still not sold, do you think it might be over-priced?

A: It is over priced - just like all the other falcon coupes for sale!!

CJR09 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-01-2020, 06:02 PM   #6
CJR09
RPO 77

Thought it was you with the katana

Imo Katana and ts9 is all you need

Q: If you have tried to sell it three times now and it is still not sold, do you think it might be over-priced?

Old 08-01-2020, 06:04 PM   #7
CJR09
RPO 77

Dial in a sweet plexi twin reverb or blues breaker tone and use the ts9 for boost - home and hosed

Old 08-01-2020, 06:07 PM   #8
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Years ago (before Analog Man, even!), yes, had an original on extended loan. Overarching memory is lots of gain. It seemed to make the sort of sounds many people were aspiring to.

I’d warrant my taste is very different to yours, though. So my comments are heavily prejudiced.
Old 08-01-2020, 06:45 PM   #9
CJR09
RPO 77

You have to bear in mind you are not using the 808 or ts9 as the pedal as it was intended - using it as boost almost the reverse of how you would normally usd it

Max the level
Tone 12 oclock
Gain zero

Old 08-01-2020, 10:10 PM   #10
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I bought a delay pedal from Aldi once, not bad for $25...
Old 09-01-2020, 04:32 PM   #11
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I’ve just seen what the asking price on original TS-808 units, has got to! Unbelievable!
Old 09-01-2020, 05:17 PM   #12
superyob
Banned

Sooooooo the question must be asked CB and others, are modelling amp effects as good as an actual pedal? My katana comes close with compression; not so much my Vox vt20x. Although phasers seem to work well in both...
Old 09-01-2020, 05:21 PM   #13
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I have no valid opinion on that. Never owned or fooled with one.
Old 10-01-2020, 07:36 PM   #14
CJR09
RPO 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I’ve just seen what the asking price on original TS-808 units, has got to! Unbelievable!
Crazy aye

Never liked them as the pedal they were designed to be but used as a boost for cutting the mix unreal

Old 10-01-2020, 08:11 PM   #15
CJR09
RPO 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
Sooooooo the question must be asked CB and others, are modelling amp effects as good as an actual pedal? My katana comes close with compression; not so much my Vox vt20x. Although phasers seem to work well in both...

Just my opinion - which doesnt count for much

I think they can be - have to be all over dialling them in - you will never be able to emulate all pedals - BUT - horses for courses

As a working muso or naffing around at home playing covers straight up - why would you use anything else?

Easy to get a variety of tones at the flick of a few buttons - my opinion is katana is one of the best - certainly best value for money

I use a pod farm which is old tech now but some of the library's available are pretty impressive how close you can get some tones

Would love to have a krack at a kemper - do you use the tone studio as well?

Old 03-03-2020, 01:35 PM   #16
J Arthur Rank

I'll chime in and say not really - I think if you are chasing something bluesy, the hard clipping from a ds1 or similar won't deliver what you want, even if you don't crank the gain.

I've never liked the sound of them, even with humbuckers. Just my opinion though
J Arthur Rank is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2020, 04:22 PM   #17
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Arthur Rank View Post
I'll chime in and say not really - I think if you are chasing something bluesy, the hard clipping from a ds1 or similar won't deliver what you want, even if you don't crank the gain.

I've never liked the sound of them, even with humbuckers. Just my opinion though
Yeah, I was considering the DS1 as a cheap distortion pedal but I don't think I would use it much as it's not really a sound I use much. I like overdrive much better.

How about a Blues Driver? These have caught my eye recently and I would love to take one for a run with my CV60s Strat...
Old 03-03-2020, 07:04 PM   #18
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

What about a little all-valve, point-to-point wired amp, albeit with master? Like a Princeton Reverb or AC12, with added master volume.
Old 03-03-2020, 08:56 PM   #19
J Arthur Rank

You're talking my language there CB I've got a wee little Ac4, the handwired one and it is bloody great - still way too loud for a bedroom/house though.

Back to the Bluesdriver - if you can pick one up on the cheap I would say have a crack but like tubescreamers, there are so many clones and/or slight variations on these circuit designs that you'd fare just as well with a cheapie.

I've currently got a Nux Horseman for nice overdrive by itself or boosting the Vox and an Xvive Golden Brownie for the cranked distortion sound I dig. Neither pedal was very dear.
J Arthur Rank is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2020, 08:51 AM   #20
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I’d personally like this:

Shame it’s a mock-up. :p