Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 24-09-2006, 01:12 PM   #1
pacemaker1
Starter Motor

Default XR5 Head unit

If its here in this thread i'm sorry for my ignorance I could not find it, but my question is this,
Will the head unit out of an XR5 fit into my 05 ls lx sedan? I want the in dash stacker and it just looks better.

pacemaker1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2006, 01:53 PM   #2
Stugots
2006 Focus LX Hatch

Looking at the brochure, I'd say yes. Also it seems the XR5 does not have steering wheel mounted controls. If it XR5's SONY could fit, I wonder whether the controls could be (easily) intergrated with the head unit.
Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2006, 05:14 PM   #3
orsest170
WRC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots
Looking at the brochure, I'd say yes. Also it seems the XR5 does not have steering wheel mounted controls. If it XR5's SONY could fit, I wonder whether the controls could be (easily) intergrated with the head unit.
The XR5 does have the steering wheel mounted controls ;)
orsest170 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2006, 06:28 PM   #4
raymon81

Yep it does fit but good luck in finding out the price, i remember the Sony headunit being a 4digit price :( i have a 2006 zetec and all i done was hook up a monoblock amp and sub to the standard unit and it sounds fantastic.
raymon81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2006, 07:12 PM   #5
BlackLS

They look fantastic, and have RDS to boot.

My gripe is that apparently they aren't any more better sounding than the standard headunit.

The cheapest way would to search on ebay .uk or .de for anyone in the UK selling their Sony 6000 headunit (make sure its for the new focus, the old one had a different shape)

Also for heaps of Focus accessories, search on ebay .de "Focus II" You'll have to decypher german, but a word with puff at the end of the word has something to do with exhaust.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2006, 10:26 PM   #6
Stugots
2006 Focus LX Hatch

Quote:
The XR5 does have the steering wheel mounted controls
Is that it on the left near the outside of the wheel?
Old 24-09-2006, 10:37 PM   #7
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

I have read some comments about the Sony headunit not being that great - lack in connections and power. Does look good though, blends in well with the interior. As mentioned, it would not be cheap...out of curiousity, I asked a local dealer for a price (knew it would be an interesting price tag)...they didn't have a price for the Sony headunit, but they said the standard CL/LX headunit brand new was over $2000!! Ford Spare Parts are good for a laugh

You can buy a facia here >>>> http://www.nexxia.co.uk/Car_Stereo_f...ford/focus.htm

Would allow you to fit any single DIN headunit...the price of good headunits are also very competitve atm too.
Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2006, 11:01 PM   #8
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Russ#Es#
I have read some comments about the Sony headunit not being that great - lack in connections and power. Does look good though, blends in well with the interior. As mentioned, it would not be cheap...out of curiousity, I asked a local dealer for a price (knew it would be an interesting price tag)...they didn't have a price for the Sony headunit, but they said the standard CL/LX headunit brand new was over $2000!! Ford Spare Parts are good for a laugh

You can buy a facia here >>>> http://www.nexxia.co.uk/Car_Stereo_f...ford/focus.htm

Would allow you to fit any single DIN headunit...the price of good headunits are also very competitve atm too.
Buy 11 std units or get another Focus.
Old 24-09-2006, 11:14 PM   #9
raymon81

If only u guys were in melbourne, i could show u how loud and clear the standard deck sounds with just an amp and sub hooked up to it, its awesome everybody that has heard it was surprised by just how good it sounds. Would have been good if the deck was mp3 compatibility or even have an option of a 6cd but oh well **** happens
Old 24-09-2006, 11:20 PM   #10
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ROFL. What kind of idiot would pay 2g for a standard unit? Aftermarket will always be better
Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2006, 11:21 PM   #11
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

For sure :hihi:

You could (maybe) understand if the CL/LX headunit was actually good, but its not. Its ok for a factory unit (and not a factory premium unit), but when you compare it to a base model Pioneer/Sony/Alpine, its looking a little shakey...
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles

Old 24-09-2006, 11:56 PM   #12
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymon81
If only u guys were in melbourne, i could show u how loud and clear the standard deck sounds with just an amp and sub hooked up to it, its awesome everybody that has heard it was surprised by just how good it sounds. Would have been good if the deck was mp3 compatibility or even have an option of a 6cd but oh well **** happens
Mate I've done this, as well as had a DVD, screen and digital TV tuner, and to regular people it does sound good. But to people who can tell within 2 secs of a track playing if it was a downloaded mp3 or burnt from the original CD its shyte, comparable qual to a $70 headunit from Strathfield Car Radio.
Old 24-09-2006, 11:58 PM   #13
raymon81

well the feedback that i have got on the Sony Unit is that its pretty crap. i speak to alot of people who own xr5s and even STs overseas and most of them want to change it to an aftermarket unit but then u would have to buy a fascia. To me a fascia kinda wrecks the appearence so thats why i really wanted to just keep the standard unit in my zetec and hook up the amp and sub to it. Ok its no alpine or pioneer but any monoblock amplifier gives out heaps of power and will make your standard unit sound much louder and clearer. Im quiet happy with the speakers too. I used to own a mazda 3 sp23 ( till it got written off) and must say the focus unit is much better.
Old 24-09-2006, 11:59 PM   #14
BlackLS

Was that with the Bose system?
Old 25-09-2006, 12:04 AM   #15
BlackLS

For those that don'e want the facia adaptor, think about having a LCD moulded into the dash like:
from

to
Old 25-09-2006, 12:17 AM   #16
raymon81

you would still need a fascia for a lcd screen anyway, the focus unit is just too large, you would still have another 2-3cm from each side to fill.
Old 25-09-2006, 12:19 AM   #17
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

...or for those that do want to take the facia option...

...plus the services of http://www.aquadip.com.au/gallery1.html

=

I'll be doing all the silver bits inside (CD/HVAC Controls facia, gearshift surround, air vent accents, etc)

BTW BlackLS, that would look good in an LS

Old 25-09-2006, 12:19 AM   #18
raymon81

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
Was that with the Bose system?
Nah mate was just the standard unit. The bose system came as a package with the leather seats for $3500. Too much for my liking.
Old 25-09-2006, 01:09 AM   #19
orsest170
WRC Fanatic

Quote:
Is that it on the left near the outside of the wheel?
You can't actually see it in that photo, but it is there, hiding behind the spoke on the left side of the steering wheel, under the indicator stalk (which has the trip computer controls on it).

I'd agree that there is room for improvement, but it is still one of the best sounding factory units I have heard - definitely not worth 2 grand though!!
orsest170 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2006, 02:42 PM   #20
pacemaker1
Starter Motor

The reason why I was chasing this head unit was so I could still use remote on the stering column. I know I can replace the head unit with something else but it would render the remote useless. I rang a ford dealer this morning for a price on one and they quoted me $2638, and the best part was the fright.
pacemaker1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2006, 02:46 PM   #21
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pacemaker go to some dedicated car audio places (not crap like strathfield) and talk to the guys. There are several unit that will accept steering wheels controls.
Old 25-09-2006, 02:52 PM   #22
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

The option I'm looking at for my LX is removing the steering wheel control and replacing the steering column trim from the LX with the CL (that doesn't have the steering wheel controls). Would make for a factory look.

Most good headunits come with a remote (better than the factory one) so I should be covered there.

Old 25-09-2006, 08:13 PM   #23
Marshy79

I have to say the Sony unit in the XR5 isnt really that crash hot.
I struggle to find the correct "sound" i am looking for.
Sure the thing looks sexy. But its just not worth the cash investment if you were looking to install one.

If you are round Melb's South East I could show you the Sony unit in the XR5 so you could judge for yourself.
Lucky the growl of the XR5 makes sure you hardly listen to the stereo!
Marshy79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2006, 08:15 PM   #24
Marshy79

The steerwheel controls are here as circled behind the steering wheel.
Its a massive fat stalk that took a little getting used to. But its functional.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg steering wheel.jpg (24.6 KB, 44 views)
Old 25-09-2006, 09:27 PM   #25
Stugots
2006 Focus LX Hatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshy79
I have to say the Sony unit in the XR5 isnt really that crash hot.
I struggle to find the correct "sound" i am looking for.
Sure the thing looks sexy. But its just not worth the cash investment if you were looking to install one...
Is it possible the speakers or general cabin acoustics are part of the problem? Maybe some better speakers will make all the difference. You'd think by now the in-dash CD players are at a point where they should be pretty sorted for sound quality.
Old 25-09-2006, 09:35 PM   #26
raymon81

Quote:
Is it possible the speakers or general cabin acoustics are part of the problem? Maybe some better speakers will make all the difference. You'd think by now the in-dash CD players are at a point where they should be pretty sorted for sound quality.
The speakers are fine in most cars, when u just change a headunit, u will be surprised by how clear ur standard speakers can be.
Old 25-09-2006, 10:09 PM   #27
BlackLS

Quote:
Remember the head unit is a mass produced piece of crap. There not bad for quality low down but turn it up and they probably only have something like 15rms - crap sound.

The speakers? No good, probably based of a paper plate. Get some good splits, and even with the standard head unit it will sound a lot better. Amplify them and your cheering.

If you had to do one or the other Id go amp'ed speakers first then the deck.
Old 25-09-2006, 10:50 PM   #28
raymon81

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
Remember the head unit is a mass produced piece of crap. There not bad for quality low down but turn it up and they probably only have something like 15rms - crap sound.

The speakers? No good, probably based of a paper plate. Get some good splits, and even with the standard head unit it will sound a lot better. Amplify them and your cheering.

If you had to do one or the other Id go amp'ed speakers first then the deck.
Im with you dude, amp and even sub it too first and see how u go. LIke i told u i done that to my standard deck in my zetec and it fukn sounds good
Old 25-09-2006, 11:04 PM   #29
Marshy79

I thought the XR5 already had splits in it? Cause its got speakers in the front doors, and its also got some up on the pillar as well. You can see them in the pics of the dash, up in the corners.

The stereo isnt that bad... but... you need to go through the settings to find the best sound for different types of music. I find I tend to quickly change between the "rock" setting and "optimised all". And I find that cranking it then changes the way the sound is all over again.

Wouldnt mind finding out what the standard headunit sounds like with different speakers. Might look into that myself.

I find you can get lots of bass out of the current setup... or very bright higher freq's, but not that nice mix. But I am very narky about sound quality. I wouldnt play guitar without a good valve amp as it is (or on a cruddy cheapo guitar).
Old 26-09-2006, 01:55 AM   #30
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Power output has nothing to do with the quality of sound. 15W RMS isn't bad for a headunit as most aftermarket headunits are only pumping out 18W RMS. But thats easily enough to pump 100db. 99.99% of the time your gonna be playing well under 85DB and for 99.99% of speakers that requires less than 1watt of power so even the stock unit has more than enough power. Thats not it's problem. The focus does have splits in it.

The stock units on the focus and fiesta are pretty decent for a stock system but have major shortcomings. They along with all stock systems only have mid range. They don't play low and they don't play high.

Changing all your speakers and adding amps will give you better sound and may play louder but your having the major disadvantage of double amping the signal (adding noise and distortion to the signal). And the amps used in headunits are relativly crap so your starting signal already puts you at a disadvantage. This is why RCA's are important.

In my opinion the best value for money upgrade for the system would be a new headunit and a good quality set of splits for the front. Get your doors sound deadend while your at it too.