Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-09-2006, 12:53 PM   #1
ADSXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default drive.com.au at it again!

http://www.smh.com.au/news/news/good...e#contentSwap2

After publishing the video on there website claiming the SS-V wins by default because of the gearbox breakage of the XR8, they now publish this.

I like the bit where the drive.com.au testers crash both Falcon's, award the win to the SS-V and then publish this statement

"Although it didn't complete the journey, the Falcon XR8's failure to finish in no way affected the outcome of this test"

They are getting caught up in there own lies. In the video it wins by default, now they claim would not have made a difference.

Lets put the shoe on the other foot, would the VE win if it was put on the back of a tow truck 200km west of Bourke? I DONT THINK SO!

Old 08-09-2006, 12:56 PM   #2
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Holdenbiased.drive.com Bah!

The Xr8 died, warranty was declined, it does not deserve to win!
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2006, 01:01 PM   #3
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well that article was alot better than their video and at least they can back some of their statements up...still doesnt explain the fairmont and the lack of trans fluid trail and other things 'doctored' in that video

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2006, 01:01 PM   #4
ADSXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
Holdenbiased.drive.com Bah!

The Xr8 died, warranty was declined, it does not deserve to win!
Not saying it should, but the SS-V cannot claim a victory to cars that testers crash.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:39 PM   #5
HSE2

Since when does the XR6T have 550nm?
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2006, 02:15 PM   #6
Nappa
Impressive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2
Since when does the XR6T have 550nm?

I guess it shows the calibre of the drive.com journo's, the XR6T puts our 480Nm, the F6 does 550Nm......
Old 08-09-2006, 02:29 PM   #7
MRJUCY
Fordless

I read the story in the paper this morning, I was amazed at the various ridiculous ways of describing the Falcons as failing when simply they crashed both of them & have no one to blame but themselves.

Saying the car picked the rock up is right up their with the paper years ago saying Packer's horse fell from under him playing polo rather then the simple truth that he fell off. They also say the SS has around 100mm more clearance then the XR8 if that's true the SS would have to have a ride height similar to the Territory.

I'll have to remember if I ever crash into a bus it wasn't my fault it was Ford's fault that my car wasn't tall enough to drive over it.
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2006, 02:37 PM   #8
WASP
Whipple Induced

The 100mm ride height difference between the SS-V and the XR8 explains why the VE looks like it sits so high. Spoils the effect of the wide wheel arches.

Seriously though despite these annoying articles, Ford really need to pull their finger out on their V8's.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:51 PM   #9
b2tf
not here much anymore

What a joke of an article. This sums it up for me:-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive Article
the XR8 was never designed for these conditions and we were testing the car beyond its calling in life. Nor would an XR8 owner be likely to drive his or her car on these roads.
That there is enough to ask the question why the hell would you be testing 3 cars on such a road? Substantial damage to 2 Fod vehicles yet no mention of how much repair will cost them, yet they ***** and moan that had they used Holden spare rims they were $947 each.

I for one hope they got a fairly massive bill to get those cars back up to scratch, thats some of the most irresponsible "testing" I've ever heard of. I bet these morons were the type who used to borrow Dad's Commodore Executive and see how well it pulled donuts in the back paddock.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:58 PM   #10
Ruger
Bseries Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive.com.au
245kW of power and a whopping 550Nm of torque)
wrong.

Quote:
Commodore SS. It has the best combination of power, economy, equipment and value.
they didnt mention anything about economy apart from the xr6t being better off than the xr8. and where is the mention of equipment in the review id seriously like a comparo of the 'ss' and xr8's equipment levels and well see who comes out on top.

Quote:
And despite just having one rather large exhaust
its actually twin pipes to a single tip there matey.

Quote:
The side mirrors are bigger than those on the previous Commodore but the testers felt they could be bigger again,
its a sports car isnt it? truck mirrors dont suit sports cars. i own a ba and have never had a problem with mirrors. id hate to think what they would say about the m3

'sports cars' belong on the road not in the bush bloody idiots.

i think half of holdens billion dollars they poured into the ve went into the drive.com.au journos
that review is total rubbish

Only those that attempt the absurd achieve the impossible.

Serviced and maintained by Mascot Auto Repairs
Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2006, 03:05 PM   #11
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nappa
I guess it shows the calibre of the drive.com journo's, the XR6T puts our 480Nm, the F6 does 550Nm......

Its hard to take them seriously when they say things like this because they say it in such a way that it makes their opinions and conclusions appear as though they are based on facts that aren't correct.

When the BA was launched I wrote a review where I stated that the steering had become too sensitive for the chassis especially in the XT. Under some circumstances it can make the rear of the car feel disassociated to the front. Apart from one journo no one else commented much about it until now. The reason I bring this up is the as the sport variants don't suffer as much as the lower models yet last week the lower models were tested and this directness wasn't comment on. :

I have made my feelings on the Boss engines crystal clear. This is what happens when you stand still for too long. If Ford does act they have ****ed off every owner that purchased a full model and not a series and if they don't react the product remains irrelevant to all but extreme loyalists.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2006, 03:10 PM   #12
xe351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Drive really need to get some drivers who 'can' drive
xe351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2006, 03:11 PM   #13
Abacus
Life's a Gas

That was a disgraceful article. They take three hi-po road cars, prang two of them, and come up with a verdict based on the the one that performed better in an environment the vehicles were not designed for.

What were they thinking? It seems that the extremes some journalists will go to to conclude that Holden's billion dollar baby is more than a billion dollar catch-up are downright ridiculous.

The only real criticism of the Falcons I agree with is the mirrors. They are too small, and they always have been. Ford should be able to design a decent sized mirror that won't look out of place.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2006, 03:38 PM   #14
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

I can understand the criticism they made of the Fords steering being too sensitive at highway speeds, and following the camber of the road too much. It takes getting used to.

However the environment these 'sports' cars were subject to, is totally unreasonable and not a test or comparison at all. Really not valid for drawing any conclusions on.

I suggest the SS was just lucky that it didnt get damaged as well.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2006, 03:45 PM   #15
The Monty
Just slidin'

And to think I almost forgave them after the last incident. Idiots. I can not take a single written thing by them seriuosly any more.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:46 PM   #16
BTTB
Free XD

If I want to know how each of these cars performs... I'll test them myself :eclipsee_

: I don't need some pencil pushing knobjockey to tell me what I like

Especially one from drive.com.au :
BTTB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2006, 03:54 PM   #17
davro_xr6
HRN13 (formerly X-Rated)

Could the fact they crashed the falcons be due to the fact that they're used to driving homo-doors and aren't used to a superior car with more power??

And could the wholly biased review be based on the fact the holden financially back drive.com?? Hmmmmm - the aussie public ain't stupid...

The way I see it - with the introduction of the VE, the homo-door boys are only playing catch up - they always have been, and will continue to do so with the introduction of ford's new number in a year or so. In my opinion they started to play the catch up game when ford brought out the beastie Phase 3 GTho... Although I am ford biased, I can still appreciate a good car, and from what I have seen of the cars Holden have produced over the last 6-8 years, they are a far cry from a good car - unless of course someone decides to put $10k of aftermarket equipment under the hood... Even with the VL they had to use a skyline motor to make the car any good... And even still today, in the V8 supercars, there's ford components in engine and driveline... Sorry, just got me a little stirred up after the article, as I'm sure it did with others...
Upgrades so far... : 2003 BA XT n/a 6 - Lowered 3" - Lovell Lowered Race Springs front & Rear - Pedders Sports Rider Shocks front and Rear - 18" x 8.5" AMG Akuza Mags - Pacemaker Headers - 2.5" Redback exhaust system - High flow cat - cat back - no muffler - Quck shifter kit - Typhoon CAI - custom stereo & boot install - Bonnet decal :
davro_xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2006, 04:00 PM   #18
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

what a load of crap...nothing but praise for the SS, except the rattle that "magically" dissapeared.
How can they complain about the size of the XR6 rims, for being too small, XR8 for not "feeling" right but praise the SS's 19's? i would have thought on those roads that the 19's would be alot worse... but these "experts" see it a different way...

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2006, 04:33 PM   #19
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Actually cant beleive they took these type of cars to those places. Did that trip from Tibboburra to Camerons Corner in the ol' diesel land Cruiser and got stuck there for a couple of days as we got a bit stuck! The damage is what would be expected up there with those type of cars ..........the Commodore, especially with 19' rims was just absolutley lucky! All 3 should have been bought back on a trailer. These drive journo's have no respectability at all.....twits.

"We test the Hyandai Getz & Daihatsu Charade at Heathcote & se if we can crack 13 seconds!" Next week in Drive.crap.au

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2006, 04:44 PM   #20
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can't crash two cars and say "The cars failed to finish"

The DRIVER failed to finish. SImple as that. Which means you need to get two drivers who at least have their learners and then let them have a rip!

Fact is that Holden has bought their praise, or sucked them down.

Drive.com.au is a site I don't even touch. I'd prefer to do my taxes.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2006, 05:32 PM   #21
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Many of the points made for an against each car are, in isolation, quite justified.

Dumb *** place to do the testing though. I dont think the conclusion is incorrect unfortunately, it just isnt reached in a very scientific way. And I dont things are quite as 'clear' as they imply, they seem to be basing that decision on Holdens revised pricing and rebadging.

I was left quite curious as to why the sump on the Ford trans is plastic? Not a fan of that sort of cost cutting....

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2006, 06:04 PM   #22
Franky
Bring back the Phase

Since when has Ford ever won a comparison on Drive.com.au?

I wouldn't be suprised to see a commodore in each of the journalists driveways. Even the BA couldn't win a comparison and it was car of the year and loved by critics everywhere.
Franky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2006, 06:18 PM   #23
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Drive has got to be the biggest pile of crap ever. The fact that idiots like Joshua Dowling draw breath in this world sickens me. The reason he found the commodore so comfortable was because he had the cushioning of wads of hundred dollar bills in his back pocket. This is the exact same sort of trash that was printed about the 380 and how superior it was to the ford. Net result; Mitsubishi will close its Australian plant and ditch the 380 entirely.
The fact that these idiots are paid to drive cars is equally offensive, and crashing whilst thrashing two cars because the drivers love holden is an absolute farce. Sales figures will tell the story, and thankfully Toyota are going to kill Holden in the fleet deals. Then where will Holden be? With over 70% of the VZ selling to fleets, what market are they now going to occupy? Most fords are sold to private buyers, and hopefully Ford will discount to smash Holden. Billion dollar baby?
More like Billion dollar ***** up.
BTW, with their reference to plastic as being somewhat inferior, maybe they should take a closer look at the amount of plastic used by Holden. Whilst at it, look where the Holden plastic comes from ahem Korea ahem.
Why don't they take their BA front, 380 rear, camry sides copying asses and do a parent company suicide dive into receivership.

Holden mean a really great deal to Korea, and Sweet FA to Australia.

Quote: