Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-01-2010, 08:53 PM   #1
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Default The State Governments plan to crush hoons' cars after third offence.

Quote:
State Government says it will match part of opposition plan to crush hoons' cars after third offence
Matthew Johnston From: Herald Sun January 22, 2010 12:15PM

obHoon war has broken out in state political ranks with the government announcing it will move to crush unroadworthy or dangerous cars if hoon drivers are caught on a third offence.

Earlier today, the opposition announced if it was elected in November it would crush hoons’ cars after three offences, and would increase the impoundment penalty for a first offence from two days to 30 days.

The Brumby Government’s full anti-hoon policy will be released later this year, but Transport Accident Commission Minister Tim Holding said some cars would be crushed.

“Our Government will implement a new regime for repeat hoon driving offenders, which will result in repeat hoon offenders having their cars confiscated to be sold or crushed,” Mr Holding said.

Earlier this week, Premier John Brumby said he would seek advice on road safety issues and said everything was on the table – including crushing cars.

It is unclear whether that advice has been received.

Eighteen months ago Police Minister Bob Cameron said the idea of crushing cars was “irresponsible” and populist.

Mr Holding said cars could be sold to cover debts if a driver was driving someone else’s car, and remaining proceeds would go towards road safety. Only the most dangerous or unroadworthy cars would be crushed to send a message.

The government will also look at increasing the impoundment penalty for a first offence from two days to seven days.

Opposition Leader Ted Baillieu said it was time to crack down on hoons who put people’s lives at risk.

“Victorians need a strong zero tolerance approach to hoon driving,” Mr Baillieu said.

“This means tough laws which increase impoundment times, force hoon drivers to take safe driving training, and forfeit and crush vehicles of the worst repeat offenders.”

The Opposition’s police would introduce new anti-hoon laws, including:

- A 30-day impoundment for a first hoon offence, and requirement that a safe driving course is completed by offenders;

- Up to three months impoundment for a second offence;

- Crushing of vehicles for a third offence after parts are stripped and sold.

Mr Baillieu said the money raised from selling car parts would help the program run as cost neutral, with any excess money put into the TAC and Police budgets.

He said the tougher laws would act in a similar way to current anti-hoon measures where police can apply to courts to have vehicles confiscated.

Mr Baillieu said a key part of the program would be driver re-education.

The Opposition and Government say they will not crush cars if they are owned by third parties.

Mr Baillieu said forfeiture of a car would not occur if the “registered operator or owner of a vehicle can prove the offence was committed without their knowledge or consent".

Impounding would not occur in cases of stolen or hired vehicles either.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vic...-1225822477807

chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2010, 09:03 PM   #2
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

$500 penalty for one, $60,000 for another.

Why don’t we crush houses where a pill press is found because clearly the offence was committed in that abode.

MORONS.

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2010, 10:16 PM   #3
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNR8D
Why don’t we crush houses where a pill press is found because clearly the offence was committed in that abode.

MORONS.
They tend to take the house and everything else bought with the money they made from the drugs.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2010, 10:19 PM   #4
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

I still favour permanent confiscation and sale to go to funding for road trauma victims.
jpd80 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2010, 10:39 PM   #5
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCPWSF
They tend to take the house and everything else bought with the money they made from the drugs.
game set and match.. again!

Old 22-01-2010, 10:58 PM   #6
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Yeah cause crushing cars is going to stop the one of person - doesnt the government listen to their own police forces :togo: : :

I am so over the government not doing the proper research before they act - then after crushings cars does not work then what are they going to do???

And i quote:-
Quote:
Vic anti-hoon laws working: Overland January 20, 2010

AAP

Victoria's top cop says the state's anti-hoon laws are working, despite a high speed crash that killed five teenagers on the weekend.

Since the fatal crash, there have been a spate of incidents involving youths who have continued to flout the law by speeding, doing burnouts and crashing a car while driving unlicensed.

But police commissioner Simon Overland on Wednesday said there has been little reoffending by hoons who have had their cars impounded under the laws.

"The hoon laws are working," he told ABC radio.

"After we take a car off someone for the first time the recidivism rate after that is about two per cent.

"That says to me that it is having an impact."

His comments appear to contradict statements made by the state's top traffic cop deputy commissioner Ken Lay, who on Monday said there had been an increase in the deaths of young male drivers.

"We're doing some evaluations now to try and understand the road safety benefits (of the anti-hoon laws)," he said.

"But .. last year there was an increase in the deaths of 18 to 20-year-olds.

"This hasn't been the panacea."

Since the anti-hoon legislation was introduced two-and-a-half-years ago, police have seized almost 10,000 cars.

Crushing cars could be another way of solving the hoon problem, Mr Overland said.

"That is ultimately a matter for government, if it works and there is evidence I am all for it," he said.

"It has been suggested to me that the psychological blow top the owner of the car to see it crushed ... is a way of making a point.

"I think we really need to look at the evidence and be guided by that."

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2010, 11:10 PM   #7
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorted
Yeah cause crushing cars is going to stop the one of person - doesnt the government listen to their own police forces :togo: : :

I am so over the government not doing the proper research before they act - then after crushings cars does not work then what are they going to do???

READ and comprehend what's proposed before blabbering nonsense...

3 strikes is warning enough.

Old 23-01-2010, 12:05 AM   #8
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorted

I listened to interview , its the one were he said drag racing is a stupid sport (the legal kind) . I got quite annoyed .

An on the crushing cars thing i think we make have a few more high speed chases on our hands.
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2010, 11:19 PM   #9
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Brumby / Balieu etc dont get it. They are applying their educated middle class standards, to a young and dumb problem.

i had an encounter a dumb a$$ radio fitter at work one day about a year ago.

Him and his mates had got onto the impound car program and came up with solution to the impounded car / unroadworthy sticker problem..

The buy $500 bombs and do burnouts with them and if they get caught they just abandon them.

At no point does it cross their small minds to do the right thing.

Crushing cars will make headlines but will not solve the problem.
Old 23-01-2010, 05:26 AM   #10
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCPWSF

In some cases they may get it all, they wouldnt always though
ED Classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2010, 08:51 AM   #11
BA SR FALCON

Default Too True.. Courts Are To Raise Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNR8D
$500 penalty for one, $60,000 for another.

MORONS.
Not do what we pay them to or want from them... POWER CORRUPTS
2 mill for bullyed a kid, what about the kids kept in the brothers CARE ! as wards ECT they got offerd 80k then had it cut in half.. $40 k for your childhood your cherry in some cases.. WA GOVERNMENT U SUCK !
At least do what u said u would for them,after all its our money !
BA SR FALCON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2010, 09:55 PM   #12
Mansal

About bl o o dy time I say!
Mansal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2010, 10:05 PM   #13
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Out of interest is there any time limit between offences? What if the third offence is 2o years after the first?
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2010, 10:06 PM   #14
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You deserve to have your car crushed if you've received 2 fines and warnings it will happen. In the past week, we have seen what irresponsible drivers can do. Drunk, P-Plater with 5 passengers, speeding, killing himself and 4 others. That bloke was a hoon, and where did it get him. 6 feet under.

Time to get tough. And if it means crushing their car. Then they have no-one else to blame but themselves. Demerit point loss or fines are not enough to stop these clowns from reoffending. Jail time should also be part of the deal.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2010, 11:47 PM   #15
chrisfpv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
You deserve to have your car crushed if you've received 2 fines and warnings it will happen. In the past week, we have seen what irresponsible drivers can do. Drunk, P-Plater with 5 passengers, speeding, killing himself and 4 others. That bloke was a hoon, and where did it get him. 6 feet under.

Time to get tough. And if it means crushing their car. Then they have no-one else to blame but themselves. Demerit point loss or fines are not enough to stop these clowns from reoffending. Jail time should also be part of the deal.
Have to agree with everything said above.

You'd think people would think about the consequences of there actions, but some people just don't want to hear about it and don't care. Car crushing in my opinion is only one step forward in the right direction to stopping "hoon" driving.

If drivers get to the point where there car is in line to be crushed, they shouldn't have there licence.
Old 24-01-2010, 04:39 PM   #16
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Quote:

Well said, if they insist on driving so dangerously and acting stupid they should be punished hard
Old 24-01-2010, 07:15 PM   #17
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUF_302
Well said, if they insist on driving so dangerously and acting stupid they should be punished hard
Yes, via license suspentions or jail time.

Whats the point of crushing some idiot's car when he can go out buy another one and do the same?

Also, the problem should be looked at from a addicion point of view, just as drugs or alcohol.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2010, 11:27 PM   #18
reece1
reece1

Quote:

what happens when your son or daughter is driving the family car and it gets crushed cause of their actions
reece1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2010, 12:40 AM   #19
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
Originally Posted by reece1
what happens when your son or daughter is driving the family car and it gets crushed cause of their actions
I would have thought it would only be if the person driving the car owned it? I mean they already stated that cars subject to finance agreements are exempt from this.

I mean, what if the apprentice at the mechanics gets done in your car on a "test drive"?
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2010, 03:27 PM   #20
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reece1
Well they should have learn't the 1st time they were caught, or the 2nd, or the 3rd, oppp's no wait, that's crush time.
Anyway they have more than enough warning's, if they can not learn within this time frame, then crush I say.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2010, 10:21 PM   #21
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I say they strip the cars and donate the parts to schools, at my school we have a big auto room with car hoists and lots of engines people have donated to the school for the kids to take apart and build again, the school bought 2 new Alloytech engines too.
Old 22-01-2010, 10:21 PM   #22
Kryton

The time limit is 6 years from the first offense - 2 more offense in that time and your a candidate.
Also, the car has to be owned outright (no monies owing) and it has to be your car you are caught in.

For the first offense, The car is impoundend for 3 months and fines.
The 3rd offense is at the Judges discretion as to whether the car is crushed or not.

They said out of all the cars that have been confiscated so far (thousands) less than 100 would be a candidate for crushing.

Not really a deterant if you ask me but the rules are becoming a bit more fairer.
Im all for crushing/or selling dipshts cars if they deserve it and cant act responsibly on the road but again, once you read the fine print, it isnt really going to solve anything.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2010, 07:57 AM   #23
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
Also, the car has to be owned outright (no monies owing)
so as long as i make sure i always owe some money on my car, they can't crush it?
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2010, 11:42 AM   #24
chrisfpv

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANELCORP
I support the idea of selling the vehicles and giving the proceeds from sale to the people left disabled from an accident or to the families of those killed in an accident.
As do I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
so as long as i make sure i always owe some money on my car, they can't crush it?
It does sound like that doesn't it buy surely it wouldn't be that easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by left
On another note about baiting by unmarked cop cars: if you are silly enough not to be able to spot an unmarked car then you deserve everything you get. No sympathy from me
I thought the point of an unmarked police car was to blend in and catch people doing things they wouldn't do infront of a patrol car? Maybe it's just me, but spotting an unmarked car isn't something that I excel in. Unless there's something on the unmarked cars that people should be looking out for that i am unaware of?
Old 23-01-2010, 12:25 PM   #25
Bobman
Regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6AUS
I thought the point of an unmarked police car was to blend in and catch people doing things they wouldn't do infront of a patrol car? Maybe it's just me, but spotting an unmarked car isn't something that I excel in. Unless there's something on the unmarked cars that people should be looking out for that i am unaware of?
They're fairly easy to pick. It was much easier years ago, but it's not overly difficult to spot one in traffic.

Unless it's an FG F6 in Melbourne with custom plates. See here: http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/archive/.../t-122265.html

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2010, 01:18 PM   #26
chrisfpv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobman
They're fairly easy to pick. It was much easier years ago, but it's not overly difficult to spot one in traffic.

Unless it's an FG F6 in Melbourne with custom plates. See here: http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/archive/.../t-122265.html
I'm actually suprised after reading that thread on ls1, thanks.
Old 23-01-2010, 02:51 PM   #27
left
Lady Leadfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6AUS
They're very easy to spot (at least in Melbs where I do most of my driving). They'll have lights on either side of the front dash and rear near the speakers and typically some extra antennae too although not always. The lights are small and rather inconspicuous but still easy to spot if you're in the habit of checking your rear view mirror. From behind there's really no excuse not to notice them as it is very very obvious. I dunno, maybe I pay too much attention to other ppls cars!

EDIT see someone else had already responded.

Quote:
Building sites on a hot day: the females equivalent to a strip club
left is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2010, 10:25 PM   #28
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

I think this was an expected move from Brumby, it's been getting very heavy media attention lately. Personally, I don't think this will stop future events similar to last weekend, People like that are just too dumb.
Old 22-01-2010, 11:07 PM   #29
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I don't mind them crushing cars but as I said above, maybe they could be used to help people in schools learn some car knowledge by donating them to schools all around Victoria. Use them as drivers ed for the kids to get behind the wheel. Corolla or GTR.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 22-01-2010 at 11:12 PM.
Old 22-01-2010, 11:17 PM   #30
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hopefully you Vic's will have drink drivers classified as 'hoons' as well. After all, the 19yo that died had a BAC of 0.19......I believe there is a strong argument for it. I wish we had drink drivers classified as 'hoons' in WA. I've no tollerance for ****y drivers.