Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 16-07-2013, 02:25 PM   #1
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Exclamation Changes to FBT rules

The Government scrapping the carbon tax will leave a $3.8 Billion revenue black hole for the next budget process. So it looks like they are changing a modifying a few other things to compensate. One of those which will be of interest to people on a car forum is FBT rules for car usage (salary sacrificing and company vehicle packages).

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-07-1...n-rudd/4822556

Quote:
  • Tax applies to employer-provided car used for work and personal use, or a privately-owned, salary sacrificed car.
  • Benefit currently calculated using operating cost method (log book) or statutory formula method.
  • Operating cost method: cost of running car multiplied by proportion of personal use of car (recorded in log book).
  • Statutory formula method: cost of car multiplied by 20 per cent, regardless of actual personal use of car.
  • Statutory formula automatically assumes significant proportion of use of the car is for business purposes.
  • Removal of statutory formula method will apply to contracts entered into after July 16, 2013. It will be effective from April 1, 2014.
  • Government says car log book apps now make operating cost method easier to calculate.
My question is: will this put the brakes on Australia's runaway love affair with dual cab utes/SUV's?

My reading of this is that people who have a company car that is mainly used for private use will get slugged.

PS I have alerted the mods to this thread so keep your political views and what you think of the carbon tax to yourself.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin