Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-10-2009, 04:28 PM   #1
timothyds

Default Bathurst getting booring?

iv been watching some dvds of old Bathurst 1000 races and they used to start 58 cars! these were broken into 2 or 3 classes. I think we need to go back to this set up for Bathurst as its a bit dull with 25-30 starters all in one class. Does anyone else agree?? They should rut the V8 Supercars, the Fujitsu cars and the V8 Utes all together, this would add to the excitment like we had in the good old days and give more drivers a shot to show their stuff and also bring back the privateers who used to run but could not fund a front runner they could put tofether a ute. well let me know what you think, i hope we get some other manufacturers in soon also as 2 make series is too restrictive.

timothyds is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2009, 04:32 PM   #2
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

You may be interested in the Bathurst 12 Hour race then.

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2009, 04:32 PM   #3
FALCONXTV8
JUST CRUIZEN

I think the main reason they went with just the one category was because the v8's were becoming much quicker than the four banger's down Conrod and it was becoming dangerous with such big differences in speed.I agree that it is not as exciting to watch these days but throw a bit of rain into the mix and.........
FALCONXTV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2009, 04:35 PM   #4
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyds
iv been watching some dvds of old Bathurst 1000 races and they used to start 58 cars! these were broken into 2 or 3 classes. I think we need to go back to this set up for Bathurst as its a bit dull with 25-30 starters all in one class. Does anyone else agree?? They should rut the V8 Supercars, the Fujitsu cars and the V8 Utes all together, this would add to the excitment like we had in the good old days and give more drivers a shot to show their stuff and also bring back the privateers who used to run but could not fund a front runner they could put tofether a ute. well let me know what you think, i hope we get some other manufacturers in soon also as 2 make series is too restrictive.
Hell yeah, should have heaps of people in there and not just Ford/Holden either, Nissan, Mazda, Toyota etc
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2009, 04:36 PM   #5
timothyds

yeah nothing quite like a corolla flat out at 95, still the drivers had to keep theit mind on the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALCONXTV8
I think the main reason they went with just the one category was because the v8's were becoming much quicker than the four banger's down Conrod and it was becoming dangerous with such big differences in speed.I agree that it is not as exciting to watch these days but throw a bit of rain into the mix and.........
Old 10-10-2009, 04:39 PM   #6
FALCONXTV8
JUST CRUIZEN

Ahhhhh the good old days lol
Old 10-10-2009, 05:23 PM   #7
kircher

Why not axe v8 supercars entirely, and bring back ATCC. The cars are both basically exactly the same now. Who cares if they couldn't compete with Nissan. Perhaps that would push Holden and Ford to build better performance cars if they kept being beaten by other makes. I am only 23 and can't remember any of the good old days, however reading about races such as the ones won by the GTHOs prior to the super car scare are exciting to me. I'd love to see what would happen in a 1000km race with holden SS and ford xr8 or xr6 turbo direct from the showroom floor. I also agree there should be different classes to allow GT cars into the race, such as the ones used in the Tarmac rallies, and other privateers could enter. There is no more boring race series than a one make series, which is basically what it has become. I'd prefer it was a manufacturers championship rather than a drivers championship. At least then irrational brand loyalty to one brand or the other could be based on a technological advantage or whatever else rather than people going for Holden or Ford because "they're just better".
kircher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2009, 05:31 PM   #8
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Not this argument again *facepalm

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2009, 06:39 PM   #9
Zedjay
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie
You may be interested in the Bathurst 12 Hour race then.

when is that on??
Zedjay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2009, 06:40 PM   #10
FALCONXTV8
JUST CRUIZEN

12-14 feb 2010
Old 10-10-2009, 06:42 PM   #11
JACK250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd be more keen to watch if it was production cars or something at least close to a production car racing
JACK250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2009, 07:16 PM   #12
Zedjay
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALCONXTV8
12-14 feb 2010

is it on TV at all??
Zedjay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2009, 07:44 PM   #13
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

Getting, long got boring.

Bathurst is now like the V8 nutters version of Mardi gras.

Put a GT & R8 on track for 1000kms with a set number of tyre changes only and let's see a real race.
Race Sunday, drive Monday.

enough of this tart up kit special rubbish where the only difference is some stickers...

FGX-XR8 Manual, BFII E-Gas, '11 GSXR 1000 - Love 'em!
FPV Tickford Club of NSW - www.fpvclub.com
Bluehoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2009, 07:51 PM   #14
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by kircher
I'd love to see what would happen in a 1000km race with holden SS and ford xr8 or xr6 turbo direct from the showroom floor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehoon
Put a GT & R8 on track for 1000kms with a set number of tyre changes only and let's see a real race. Race Sunday, drive Monday.
you guys might want to look up the production car category results and the results of the bathurst 12 and 24 hr production car races. gt's, xr8's, xr6t's, clubbie's, ss's etc.

the fords get their backsides handed to them. the turbo's generally get beaten by the 8's too.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2009, 08:10 PM   #15
kircher

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
you guys might want to look up the production car category results and the results of the bathurst 12 and 24 hr production car races. gt's, xr8's, xr6t's, clubbie's, ss's etc.

the fords get their backsides handed to them. the turbo's generally get beaten by the 8's too.
I'm not surprised. It doesn't bother me either, it's racing. May the best team win.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:11 PM   #16
FALCONXTV8
JUST CRUIZEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedjay
is it on TV at all??
They generally show about 3hrs of highlights of it,not the whole thing.And yes if your a ford man they generally do get smacked by everything including the mitsu evo's and wrx's :
Old 10-10-2009, 08:11 PM   #17
timothyds

i can help you out with some dvds of complete Bathurst 1000 races dating back to 1979 if your interested in watching some of the golden years. if anyone has complete races before 1979 please let me know, thats as far back as i can find for complete races. tim

Quote:
Why not axe v8 supercars entirely, and bring back ATCC. The cars are both basically exactly the same now. Who cares if they couldn't compete with Nissan. Perhaps that would push Holden and Ford to build better performance cars if they kept being beaten by other makes. I am only 23 and can't remember any of the good old days, however reading about races such as the ones won by the GTHOs prior to the super car scare are exciting to me. I'd love to see what would happen in a 1000km race with holden SS and ford xr8 or xr6 turbo direct from the showroom floor. I also agree there should be different classes to allow GT cars into the race, such as the ones used in the Tarmac rallies, and other privateers could enter. There is no more boring race series than a one make series, which is basically what it has become. I'd prefer it was a manufacturers championship rather than a drivers championship. At least then irrational brand loyalty to one brand or the other could be based on a technological advantage or whatever else rather than people going for Holden or Ford because "they're just better".
Old 10-10-2009, 08:14 PM   #18
FALCONXTV8
JUST CRUIZEN

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyds
i can help you out with some dvds of complete Bathurst 1000 races dating back to 1979 if your interested in watching some of the golden years. if anyone has complete races before 1979 please let me know, thats as far back as i can find for complete races. tim
I would love to get my hands on the 1981 race if you can get it
Old 10-10-2009, 09:03 PM   #19
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

The worst thing they did was make it a round of the championship. It used to be ‘win at all costs’, now its ‘finish and rack up some decent points’. It’s completely taken the spark out of the race, that and safety cars (which I know are a necessity in this day and age), and the cars themselves being so reliable.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:13 PM   #20
silicon

Three friends an myself were there a few years ago with the Hardtops revenge where all the coupes drove around the track an hour before the start. It was an amazing experience and to see all the positive expressions on peoples faces was amazing. It really was a great experience.

But that was about where it ended. The live telecast totally ignored the lap with 30+ coupes and had some other bloke crapping on in the telecast room; you could hear the clevelands smoking rubber in the background though. We watched the choreographed warm up and the race start and stayed for about an hour - then we left. We gave away our passes to a couple of blokes walking past and made their day by saving them 100+ dollars each.

I would love to be back at Bathurst 20 to 30 years plus ago when they were racing production cars that have the same engine etc as the everyday car. But now the cars bore me to tears. They are very very fast and reliable but I object to the fact they make them look like road driven cars when they only really share the outer panel shape. I call them 'V8 boring cars' and turn the channel as quick as possible now.
silicon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2009, 10:02 PM   #21
austyphoon

My god not this AGAIN! It comes up every year.

Quote:
iv been watching some dvds of old Bathurst 1000 races and they used to start 58 cars!
You want 50+ cars competing? Where do you suppose these 50+ cars pit? We would need a pit 1km long to fit all the teams!

Couple of facts.

Fact 1. V8 Supercars is as POPULAR AS IT'S EVER BEEN, why change a winning formula for one that was flawed??

Fact 2. Group A was extremely expensive, the WINFEILD GT-R's had a budget as big as any team today and their cars cost a LOT more to build then a V8 supercar does today....and that was back in 1992 FFS!!

Fact 3. We ALREADY have production car racing and guess what????? It attracts very little attention, do you know why???? Because no one wants to watch moderately fast cars go around a race track, they want to see FAST cars going FAST.

Some of you need a reality check and stop living in the past, don't like the V8's? Well there are plenty of other categories to go and watch but you won't and that's why no other series is as successful OR as popular as V8's are today.

Deal with it.
austyphoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2009, 10:11 PM   #22
FALCONXTV8
JUST CRUIZEN

If you love the old race cars i suggest you get along to the muscle car masters.It has pretty much every type of racecar that ever made it onto the track and they race for real ,not just showing off.I know that they come to Sydney every fathers day at eastern creek and its an awesome day and highly recommended.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:14 PM   #23
kircher

I don't follow motorsport religiously, but I do watch it a bit when it's on tv, and I'd watch it more it if it was a bit more exciting and I don't have pay tv. I was watching the Melbourne GP one year, and noticed they had a GT support act for that. I didn't even know such a racing category existed in Australia. My question is: Why does the GT class take a back seat to v8 supercars? These cars were Lambo Gallardos, Ferrari 430s, Corvettes, Vipers, 911s. That seems like a much more exciting race to watch than some cars with tube chassis construction, live rear axle and 302 small blocks with a look alike body.

Who has done the market research that says the populace want a 2 make series with identical rules for each make? Surely the average motorist doesn't believe their commodore or falcon shares any DNA with the V8 supercars?
Old 10-10-2009, 10:21 PM   #24
austyphoon

Quote:
I
Who has done the market research that says the populace want a 2 make series with identical rules for each make? Surely the average motorist doesn't believe their commodore or falcon shares any DNA with the V8 supercars?
Um........they DON'T need to do market research, all they look at is the TV audience and crowd figures. The V8 series is a very close racing series and faster too, people can relate to the two AUSSIE brands (and yes, most know that they aren't like our road cars) more then a bunch of exotics.

The GT championship is pretty much just a gentlemens racing series and will never attract a big following.
austyphoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2009, 10:24 PM   #25
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Have a look at those exotic cars.. I'll think you'll find they are built much the same way..
In the old days there was always issues with rules as each manu would stretch the rules..Esp one manu would bring out a special car each year..
Leave it as it is !!Btw check the times.. The old H.O's would be slow now!!
Instead of winging about it go to the production races...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2009, 10:30 PM   #26
kircher

Quote:
Originally Posted by austyphoon
Fact 1. V8 Supercars is as POPULAR AS IT'S EVER BEEN, why change a winning formula for one that was flawed??
Production car racing isn't flawed. It showcases current technology, and pushes for improvement.
Quote:
Fact 2. Group A was extremely expensive, the WINFEILD GT-R's had a budget as big as any team today and their cars cost a LOT more to build then a V8 supercar does today....and that was back in 1992 FFS!!
That's why you need more than 1 class.
Quote:
Fact 3. We ALREADY have production car racing and guess what????? It attracts very little attention, do you know why???? Because no one wants to watch moderately fast cars go around a race track, they want to see FAST cars going FAST.
Last time I checked the GT class wasn't slow, and no production car racing is ever done on television, except for a little on SBS, so it's a little hard to rate something like that. Besides, if you want fast, watch Formula 1 or one of the other Formulas. Formula 1 shits on V8 supercars for speed. Why not allow more than 302 cubic inches if all people want is fast anyway? It might make it a bit more interesting.

Quote:
Some of you need a reality check and stop living in the past, don't like the V8's? Well there are plenty of other categories to go and watch but you won't and that's why no other series is as successful OR as popular as V8's are today.

Deal with it.
Again, if I could watch good racing on TV I would. I don't have all that much money to go to races every few weeks. I believe others would agree. I can't live in the past either, As I am young and have only ever known the one make series. Your opinion is clearly not the only one.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:35 PM   #27
kircher

Quote:
Um........they DON'T need to do market research, all they look at is the TV audience and crowd figures. The V8 series is a very close racing series and faster too, people can relate to the two AUSSIE brands (and yes, most know that they aren't like our road cars) more then a bunch of exotics.

The GT championship is pretty much just a gentlemens racing series and will never attract a big following.
Then we should allow Camrys and Aurions in as well. They're just as "Aussie"
Old 10-10-2009, 10:37 PM   #28
KPOJ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
Have a look at those exotic cars.. I'll think you'll find they are built much the same way..
In the old days there was always issues with rules as each manu would stretch the rules..Esp one manu would bring out a special car each year..
Leave it as it is !!Btw check the times.. The old H.O's would be slow now!!
Instead of winging about it go to the production races...
Quoted for awesomness
KPOJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2009, 10:40 PM   #29
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Check free to air ch1 digital... Plenty of free motor racing...
Nascar etc...
Check here for local channels..
http://www.acma.gov.au/webwr/_assets...00059/tv_7.pdf
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2009, 10:54 PM   #30
KPOJ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why does everyone on this forum think that production cars are the way to go?

find in another country where prod cars are the top level, we are behind in comparison. If you can distinguish its a ford or holden all good (ie dtm at a worst). The cars need to be a spectacle for entertainment not who can make the best road car.
KPOJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post