Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 17-04-2009, 03:06 PM   #1
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default W427 finished

Had to laugh at this, after all of HSV's smoke blowing BS about how many orders and expressions of interest they had in the W427, the last one has rolled down the line for a total build of around 120.

HSV claimed they had over 1500 expressions of interest recieved at dealerships, and they went on to say they will not build any more than 427 cars to keep them exclusive. They then backpedalled and said they will limit it to 200. They couldn't even get that far. Seems like HSV were wrong and everybody else was right, that next to no one was going to pay that much for a Commonwhore.

I'd hate to know how much money they lost on the program.

I think if they had kept the price close to the original projections of around 120k it might have sold OK, but pushing the price up into M3, C63 and ISF territory was just dumb.

Old 17-04-2009, 03:09 PM   #2
davez104
Landau = GT with the lot!

Doesn't bode well for those holding out for a new GTHO does it.

Dave.
Old 17-04-2009, 03:09 PM   #3
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Only ever seen one of these (Gold Coast) in the flesh and i actually didnt mind it but yeah the price tag for in essence and GTS was a little to high, too many better options to consider IMO.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
Old 17-04-2009, 03:10 PM   #4
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

And the F6 still beat it anyway. What a joke biggest jerk off I ever seen.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Old 17-04-2009, 03:11 PM   #5
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

Cant say Im glad to see Australia's "supercar" go.

I have to say though, it was "super"... a SUPERmistake!

Go one better...

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Old 17-04-2009, 03:19 PM   #6
4VCLEVO
XA GT

The way GMH hyped it up you would of thought they could have sold a whole heap more than 427. Seems not.
Old 17-04-2009, 03:25 PM   #7
Scott

I'm happy they did the bit about giving the punters something special, if it was priced <$99k I'm sure they would have sold like hot cakes. If the GFC hadn't happened they probably wouldn't have had any left either.

Walkinshaw can produce a warranted car with ~600hp for sub $100k, CAPA can sell blown SS Utes for ~$50k - why did Holden gamble so much with the price? Did they really believe that the prce tag would make it more desirable? It certainly made it exclusive I guess lol.
Old 17-04-2009, 03:45 PM   #8
Ghosn

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJXR6
And the F6 still beat it anyway.

Smoke much?
Old 17-04-2009, 03:48 PM   #9
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJXR6
And the F6 still beat it anyway. What a joke biggest jerk off I ever seen.
Think again.
Old 17-04-2009, 03:50 PM   #10
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Well that was a fun exercise on Holden's behalf!
Old 17-04-2009, 04:15 PM   #11
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by davez104
Doesn't bode well for those holding out for a new GTHO does it.

Dave.
The GTHO badge will assure it will sell, and Ford wouldn't be stupid enough to sell it for more than 100k, Rod Barrett has already said they would want to keep it under that.

The W427 had no heritage and didn't really raise the bar in terms of performance or styling, cause it looked like crap. It was only 0.2 seconds quicker to 100 than a GTS.

I'd say the number 1 reason it didn't sell was because of the ridiculous price though. What were they thinking. They probably saw how many expressions of interest they had an thought they might be able to maximise profits on it so they jacked the price up. That probably turned away most of their potential customers who thought it would cost no more than 120k as had been talked about at the start.
Old 17-04-2009, 04:23 PM   #12
WindsorXR
FGII XR6, Focus Sport, XR

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On a serious note- Sucks to be GM right now!!!HAHAHA

2011 Purple FGII XR6
2016 LZ Focus Sport

BA XR8 Build Thread (SOLD)
1966 XR Falcon Build Thread
Old 17-04-2009, 04:34 PM   #13
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosn
Smoke much?
Wow the 427 was a whole 0.2sec quicker, makes that extra $70,000 more so worth it. If the F6 has as wide tyres as the 427 it would beat it easily.
Old 17-04-2009, 05:45 PM   #14
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You guys are very quick to gloat, but if it had been a success there would have probably been a gtho - now there is no way. I seriously looked at one, but the interior is actually what swayed me (or rather the missus) against it. She would prefer the audi rs4 because it looks more stylish.
The car is the best, fastest standard car out there made in australia. F6 faster - bah, maybe a chippied one for 2 laps. This thing will do any track for as many laps as you want. No cool down for the oil or brakes, no worry about turbo exhaust temps going too high.

The problem was that the price put it against the audi rs4, merc c63amg, bmw m3, and the gt-r. All fantastic cars for around 150k
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
Old 17-04-2009, 05:54 PM   #15
TS50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

personally if i was going to throw $150 K at a car, it would have been a M3 or similar
still a shame it didnt work
however if FPV can keep a HO around a 100K it may well sell
might even put my name on one
Old 17-04-2009, 05:54 PM   #16
tweeked
N/A all the way

It was a serious car, too serious for this market. It is what a GTHO would need to be, and it proves that the volumes will not support a car built to these specs.

F6 cannot go anywhere near matching the 427 as an allround package. It only goes close n a straight line drag as an auto.

Old 17-04-2009, 06:31 PM   #17
davez104
Landau = GT with the lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
The GTHO badge will assure it will sell, and Ford wouldn't be stupid enough to sell it for more than 100k, Rod Barrett has already said they would want to keep it under that.

The W427 had no heritage and didn't really raise the bar in terms of performance or styling, cause it looked like crap. It was only 0.2 seconds quicker to 100 than a GTS.

I'd say the number 1 reason it didn't sell was because of the ridiculous price though. What were they thinking. They probably saw how many expressions of interest they had an thought they might be able to maximise profits on it so they jacked the price up. That probably turned away most of their potential customers who thought it would cost no more than 120k as had been talked about at the start.
I agree that it's the price that really killed it, but do you seriously think that Ford could produce a car worthy of the GTHO name for less than 100K? A GTP would have to pushing close to 80k now I think, and a HO would want to be a lot more special than a GTP.

And as far as heritage goes, I know the name has heritage, but I don't think any car produced today, whether it wears that name or not, can claim anything to do with that heritage.

I would love to see a very special car released with the HO name, but I don't think Ford has the finances or the balls to release a car worthy of the badge.

Cheers,
Dave.
Old 17-04-2009, 06:45 PM   #18
b2tf
not here much anymore

If it were a Falcon/FPV variant everybody here would have loved it. At least Holden had a go.
Old 17-04-2009, 06:56 PM   #19
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

And I think people should stop and think that in this economic crisis, the W427 was allways going to strugle to make sales even if it was a good idea, I wouldn't say it was a failed attempt by HSV, I would say the economic failed HSV and it was the wrong time.
Old 17-04-2009, 07:11 PM   #20
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
If it were a Falcon/FPV variant everybody here would have loved it. At least Holden had a go.
Agreed.

All you people gloating need your heads read. As others had mentioned, if the W427 was a success, FPV would have then had a solid business case to release a proper special edition package, GTHO or not.

Oo\===/oO
Old 17-04-2009, 07:16 PM   #21
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

...and the one eyed's have it.

Sticking an HO badge on a Ford doesn't give it any more heritage than sticking a W427 badge on a Holden.

HSV trotted out an impressive package that would run rings around an F6 on a track but the price of petrol and the financial crisis at that price point was obviously too much for the market.

A ballsy move and a ballsy car, I for one applaud HSV for a fine effort.
Old 17-04-2009, 07:21 PM   #22
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

I see in today's car guide in Herald Sun, Kevin Dennis HSV ad.... "Come in and see the 427.. Build No.001".
Wonder if it's for sale?
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Old 17-04-2009, 07:24 PM   #23
colac471
Waiting for an upgrade

It's an instant collectors item, imagine what a nice one will be worth in 30 years
1978 F100 Custom, 302c
Old 17-04-2009, 07:35 PM   #24
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How Pathetic...
HSV had a go, in fact they had a real dip, it is a ripper of a car, i was lucky enough to be involved in its development, it spanked anything else made here including the "fanboy favorite" F6.. . Its true "worth" is more than just number posted in mags, it is simply a fantastic car to drive.
Some of the comments here....., the failure of this car comprehensively kills any chances of a GTHO.. so don't be too quick to gloat...
Its price was as a result of its development and manufacturing costs, simple as that, "If" this car is limited to 120 units HSV have lost a fortune because they have committed to 200 kits of parts with their suppliers.... This will have a ripple effect elsewhere mark my words.

Oh, and anyone who tries to compare this car to the blown Walky Clubsport at 99K or other aftermarket non adr compliant offerings is kidding themselves about what FACTORY performance really costs...
This car has serious DNA.. not just a snail bolted onto it to make pretty dyno numbers...

Last edited by 4Vman; 17-04-2009 at 07:43 PM.
Old 17-04-2009, 07:43 PM   #25
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm with those who give HSV credit for having a go and that it's demise will virtually sink the return of a GTHO; I think price was the killer.
Old 17-04-2009, 07:48 PM   #26
RavenLS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP534
I'm with those who give HSV credit for having a go and that it's demise will virtually sink the return of a GTHO; I think price was the killer.
exactly!!!
Old 17-04-2009, 07:48 PM   #27
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Doesnt surprise me, the car was a great package but at the cost there are nicer cars out there. I believe price was the sole reason production was cut short, like its been said 150+ plus for a commodore at heart with beefier donk brakes and suspension. Yes it comes with warrenty and what not but still there's no way a modded R8 or GTS which would match the performance of W427 would come anywhere near 150 grand. And no it wasnt a supercar, hi po sports car yes but never a supercar - that term is more suited to lambo's, GTR's, Ferrari's etc etc. And also ofcourse it would trample an F6 but let's not forget W427 wasn't designed to compete with F6/GTS etc but ofcourse raise the bar. And at double the cost it better be able to do that. I think in 20 years the W427 will be considered as a failure which is a shame since it is a great machine. Funny thing is the thing even get's bagged by many on ls1 forums, this is coming from a majority that would cherish a fresh pile of dog if it had the lion badge
Old 17-04-2009, 07:48 PM   #28
3vXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
How Pathetic...
HSV had a go, in fact they had a real dip, it is a ripper of a car, i was lucky enough to be involved in its development, it spanked anything else made here including the "fanboy favorite" F6.. . Its true "worth" is more than just number posted in mags, it is simply a fantastic car to drive.
Some of the comments here....., the failure of this car comprehensively kills any chances of a GTHO.. so don't be too quick to gloat...
Its price was as a result of its development and manufacturing costs, simple as that, "If" this car is limited to 120 units HSV have lost a fortune because they have committed to 200 kits of parts with their suppliers.... This will have a ripple effect elsewhere mark my words.

Oh, and anyone who tries to compare this car to the blown Walky Clubsport at 99K or other aftermarket non adr compliant offerings is kidding themselves about what FACTORY performance really costs...
This car has serious DNA.. not just a snail bolted onto it to make pretty dyno numbers...
+1

Closest australian car i can think of (in concept anyway) is the VN SS group A. Awesome, decent quality aftermarket bits sourced with purpose over price in mind.

Its a shame the 427 was priced so high, some morons just can't see past a price tag and timeslip.

Last edited by 3vXT; 17-04-2009 at 07:58 PM.
Old 17-04-2009, 07:49 PM   #29
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

Holden's do go better, GO OUT OF PRODUCTION THAT IS!

Seriously though, that shows just how arrogant they are, they seriously thought they had 427 sales sewn up as sure things. in the end they have only gotten a quarter of that. And before anybody says that I would be thinking different if it was a GTHO, well, if Ford ever get to build another GTHO, and it is priced more than 55k more than the next model down, I will say it is ridiculous, and if it has a substandard interior, I will say it is ridiculous.

If the W427 had a classier interior, and a pricetag more like 125k, then it would of been a different story.
Old 17-04-2009, 07:50 PM   #30
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by colac471
It's an instant collectors item, imagine what a nice one will be worth in 30 years
It would worth a fortune with the low build numbers in 30 years I
I would love to have the money to buy one. Who would have thought a HT Monaro GTS would be worth the dollars now having owned 1 and sold it for nothing many years ago.
At least the W427 is a safer faster and better finished car than the HT and around the same price now.
Closed Thread