Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 27-10-2010, 10:54 PM   #1
robbyj
Rob

Default Oil pressure sender (gauge) question

To anyone who has done this before or knows how:

This is the diagram that came with my oil pressure gauge, and i have a couple of questions. I am fairly good with the wiring side of things, wiring this all up wont bug me, the small mechanical side will.

On the attached pic you'll see the diagram sent with the gauge on how to wire it up.

Question 1.
Where the 'Red' wire is to run the the ignition switch, can i just run this to the head unit power supply, as the h/u turns on when the ignition is turned

And according to the diagram is it asking to run it to the ignition switch or then onto the battery.. or would this not be required.

Question 2.
Where do i attach the oil pressure sender unit to (dumb question it may seem, but i dont have any idea where im ment to put it so it can 'read' the oil pressure.

Sorry about the quality of the pic, but u get the idea

robbyj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2010, 11:46 PM   #2
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You have to run it off the oil pressure switch is is located under the bbm, just above the engine mount bracket and to the left of the dip stick

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-10-2010, 11:52 PM   #3
robbyj
Rob

AKA the red thing?

How do i 'hook it up' tho, as the sender is like a threaded bolt

Old 27-10-2010, 11:57 PM   #4
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive herd of some people using a t peace so they can still retain the oil pressure switch

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2010, 12:10 AM   #5
SXR6
Still a Ford boy... Just.

yep, get a T piece to suit, oil pressure switch in one end of the T and the sender unit in the other end. Pirtek or Enzed and the like have these fittings.
Be sure to earth out the connection properly or you will get a fluctuating oil pressure gauge.

Once they wake up its water boy time though.
SXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2010, 12:18 AM   #6
robbyj
Rob

ah k, thanks guys, there is a joint similar to enzed here, might drop by and ask them
Old 28-10-2010, 09:59 PM   #7
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always has a helpful answer in the technical sections, wether it's giving information on a simple diagnosis with a small issue, Helping someone fix their car if they are stuck on removing/installing something, or just need information on what works how. 

I changed my leaking oil pressure switch yesterday, bugger of a job, just getting to it. removing the air filter box helped a little. Must be really hard trying to set up a T-piece there. The right tools will help, you need a long 26 mm socket for the pressure switch (needs to be long to fit over the electric terminal), and socket extension just the right length, not too short or too long. I didn't have either! We were discussing the same thing over at Ford 6s (http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...78#post3410878). Oil filter adapter plate seems the go.
AMB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2010, 10:18 PM   #8
robbyj
Rob

Ah k, I have a joinery place making me up a T piece.. but after reading that a sandwich plate would have been the way to go..

Ill stick with this for now and if there is leaking issues will look for a sandwich plate.
If i cant find a mate who knows what he is doing, who would be best to get help with, an auto sparkie or mechanic?
Old 28-10-2010, 11:13 PM   #9
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I had a T-piece from Pirtek ... the issue I had was when the T-piece was at the point it was tight ... it would foul on the dipstick tube ... I tried and tried ... and the busgger still leaked. I just couldn't get it 100% tight.

The best bet for getting an aftermarket oil pressure sender mounted is using a sandwich plate for a Z9 filter. Much easier to install as well.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2010, 11:37 PM   #10
robbyj
Rob

Yea ill see how this goes first, how much roughly is the sandwich plate?