Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-09-2021, 08:07 AM   #1
Terror_Tree
SZ II TS Territory-Black

Default Car Insurance

G'day all, I have just received my renewal for my 2015 TS Territory. RACQ wants $1,000 with an agreed value of $20,000. I live in Townsville. Is it worth shopping around for a better deal?

FWD is the Devils work
Terror_Tree is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2021, 08:16 AM   #2
slowsnake
Banned

Default Re: Car Insurance

YES!

Cheers Billy
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-09-2021, 08:18 AM   #3
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

I guess that depends... Do you enjoy being ripped off?

Insurance companies no longer operate on the idea that loyalty needs to be rewarded... They now operate like... "Catch em, gut em, and eat em!"

They really only give you a decent deal on your first year... sometimes. In the hope that you'll just keep paying year after year, they jack the prices up as hard as they can without startling the customer too much with justification hyperbole that tries to make it sound like there's a good reason why your car is worth nothing and the premium has to jump 30% this year...

Always shop around.

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build

Last edited by Mr Brooksy; 06-09-2021 at 08:36 AM. Reason: I'm a rush and stupid Auto correct!
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-09-2021, 09:32 AM   #4
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Think outside the duopolies of Suncorp or IAG, they own most of the brands that we are familiar with - google their brands and you will see what I mean

Maybe QBE, Allianz

Hollards is a biggie, but not part of the duopoly that controls Australia insurance
Trevor 57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2021, 09:59 AM   #5
minheim

Do a few online comparisons to see if there are cheaper offers with similar benefits to your existing policy. I avoid the budget insurers. If there is a big difference from the other quotes or if your renewal has changed markedly from the previous year then ring up and see if your insurer will do a discount off the renewal. Often they will give you something.
minheim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2021, 10:22 AM   #6
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have heard to steer away from Budget Direct - apparently their claims process was terrible
2 users like this post:
Old 06-09-2021, 10:39 AM   #7
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
I have heard to steer away from Budget Direct - apparently their claims process was terrible
I haven't been with them for a few years now (the lower kms on the XR8 meant they were no longer competitive on price) but I have had to make 3 claims through them in the past (once on my BA XR8, once on the FG G6 and once on the BF RTV) and I had no problems dealing with them at all. In fact, I'd even go as far as saying they were super easy to deal with.

However, I do appreciate that is not everyone else's experience with them. A few years back I was able to access a free insurance brokerage service, and the first thing they asked me was who I was with. I told them BD. They asked if I was happy with the service. i said yes. They then said there was little point in using their brokerage service as they wouldn't be able to beat BD's price, but most of the brokerage's BD customers moved away because of the poor service.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-09-2021, 11:01 AM   #8
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Been with them several years, had a few claims and no issues at all.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2021, 11:29 AM   #9
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wonder who underwrites them - I will do a check

EDIT:
Our policies are underwritten by Auto & General Insurance Company Limited, an Australian insurance company regulated by APRA and a member of the Insurance Council of Australia. Auto & General is part of the international BHL Group
Old 07-09-2021, 05:19 PM   #10
MercuryT
Banned

I honestly don't think it's the company itself rather luck of the draw who with that company you deal with.

My Maloo claim was drawn out due a certain "case manager" yet when I finally spoke to someone higher it was sorted in days.

I've also heard of others who use different companies and it can be so simple or incredibly difficult depending on who you speak to/deal with.
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-09-2021, 06:50 PM   #11
hawke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercuryT View Post
I honestly don't think it's the company itself rather luck of the draw who with that company you deal with.

My Maloo claim was drawn out due a certain "case manager" yet when I finally spoke to someone higher it was sorted in days.

I've also heard of others who use different companies and it can be so simple or incredibly difficult depending on who you speak to/deal with.
Mercury, I spent most of working life in the Insurance Industry - underwriting, claims management, executive, legal and compliance, consumer advocate and Government adviser and consultant. I can only agree with you.

Its my view, that most insurers and their staff are poorly trained, equipped and managed. Most issues that consumers have with insurers are often caused by insurer staff not knowing the relevant legislation, policy conditions or how to communicate effectively. Having said that, it’s not their fault, they are doing their best with the pretty crappy training and tools they are given.
hawke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 07-09-2021, 08:10 PM   #12
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

TSV and CNS get priced on their postcodes and appalling juvenile car theft rates so bend over...

But also the market value of the car has gone up so a premium rise is expected.

You can lower premiums by increasing excesses, removing things like windscreens, rent a cars and lowering kms as well.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-09-2021, 08:39 PM   #13
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawke View Post
Mercury, I spent most of working life in the Insurance Industry - underwriting, claims management, executive, legal and compliance, consumer advocate and Government adviser and consultant. I can only agree with you.

Its my view, that most insurers and their staff are poorly trained, equipped and managed. Most issues that consumers have with insurers are often caused by insurer staff not knowing the relevant legislation, policy conditions or how to communicate effectively. Having said that, it’s not their fault, they are doing their best with the pretty crappy training and tools they are given.
They're only Trained to (up)sell you the Policy. Claims management is left to the Work experience Kid..
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2021, 09:56 PM   #14
73 4V XB
Frankenford pilot
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawke

That and the fact they use whoever as an assessor instead of people that know how to repair a car.
My wife has also been in the industry most her life, she was a founding input with Just Cars Insurance before they moved on.
I’m a panel beater by trade with 20+ years experience. And unlike Shannon’s, I have a true passion for cars. Some will say this companies great while some will say the opposite.
As you said, the lack of training is a big issue. The other big issue they have is assessing via desktop pictures. Good service as gone the way of the Dodo to save an extra 30 cents while upping premiums.

73 XB GT
Last of the Big Ports
73 4V XB is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 07-09-2021, 10:41 PM   #15
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

I was with an insurance company for over 20 years; house and contents; 5 comprehensive policies and 5 CTPs - all paid on time every year without a single phone call - I'd receive the policy and I would pay it. Not a single claim in that time on any of the policies. I took pride in the fact that I had never made a claim.

I probably spent $150,000 in policies over those 20 years.

We bought another house a couple of years ago and they would not insure it due to potential bushfires - they wouldn't give me a quote, as soon as I said the suburb it was a straight out no. I told them that I would lose my deposit if I couldn't insure but they didn't budge. I then 'threatened' to take all of policies elsewhere and it was like they were shrugging their shoulders and saying, "Go ahead."

So I did just that, took all of policies to another insurer.

Not one phone call, text message or email from them to ask why. Nothing. I really thought that I would get some sort of follow up. All I got was a very good lesson in there is no loyalty.
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2021, 11:18 PM   #16
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I keep thinking about shopping around, but because AAMI online portal is so easy to organise I just keep taking out third party property damage + fire and theft policies with them for my ****box fleet

I used to be all JCI until they disappeared, then I went to Shannons but I can't be ****ed talking to them on the phone to organise insurance, so now Ive been with AAMI for a while now.

I'm not concerned about my own cars, mostly if I smash into someone's Lamborghini I don't want to be paying it off $10/week for the next three centuries from beyond the grave
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2021, 11:21 PM   #17
Trendseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terror_Tree View Post
G'day all, I have just received my renewal for my 2015 TS Territory. RACQ wants $1,000 with an agreed value of $20,000. I live in Townsville. Is it worth shopping around for a better deal?
That’s too much. Go to compare the market and get quotes from several insurers at once.

https://www.comparethemarket.com.au/car-insurance/

Then go back and call your insurer and tell them how much you can save elsewhere and ask them to match it. They won’t come down as low as the lowest but they are likely to reduce their original quote by 10% to 15% without any change to the existing details. Then review the following details in the policy to reduce the quote further:
* number of km travelled per year
* how many days a week you drive in peak hour (do they have a peak hour in Townsville?!)
* other drivers - how often do they drive it
* if it’s under finance
* increase the excess a bit

Changes to any of the above can reduce the quote further. They count on the fact that policy holders won’t bother to query their quote. Call them up and ask for a reduction. Good luck.
Old 07-09-2021, 11:37 PM   #18
DTFRMONT

Quote:
I had a car insured with them, and had to make an at-fault claim, this was nearly 20 years ago, so things may have changed. Before they would even look at my claim, I had to get a driving history report from Vic Roads & fax it to them - this was in the days before you could go online to get that sort of stuff. Then they delayed giving my panel beater the go-ahead to work on my car. This was only a week or so before Christmas, so was a tad nervous that I would be carless until after the new year. Luckily got the car done with a couple of days to spare..
DTFRMONT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2021, 11:21 AM   #19
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendseeker View Post
That’s too much. Go to compare the market and get quotes from several insurers at once.

Then go back and call your insurer and tell them how much you can save elsewhere and ask them to match it. They won’t come down as low as the lowest but they are likely to reduce their original quote by 10% to 15% without any change to the existing details. Then review the following details in the policy to reduce the quote further:
* how many days a week you drive in peak hour (do they have a peak hour in Townsville?!)
* if it’s under finance

Changes to any of the above can reduce the quote further. They count on the fact that policy holders won’t bother to query their quote. Call them up and ask for a reduction. Good luck.
One thing that is not in Terror Tree's favour is that Townsville has a very high car theft rate, around >1000 in the last 12 months
Old 08-09-2021, 11:46 AM   #20
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendseeker View Post

* if it’s under finance

those 'compare the market' schemes are a sham, they only recommend the companies that pay them, so 'no pay, no show', so you are not getting a complete picture

Pick up the phone and ring the companies, alternately some companies have a tool on their websites that can give you an online quote
5 users like this post:
Old 08-09-2021, 12:06 PM   #21
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
those 'compare the market' schemes are a sham, they only recommend the companies that pay them, so 'no pay, no show', so you are not getting a complete picture
I have never used one of the compare the market schemes but have been told once they get hold of your details they harass the crap out of you.

Friends owned a motel a few years ago and they gave better rates to people who booked direct rather than the booking websites if they asked for a better price.

Last edited by EBSXR6; 08-09-2021 at 12:18 PM. Reason: update
EBSXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2021, 01:10 PM   #22
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just ask them to do a better deal, most will just drop it by 10-20% just by asking
i was with Shannon's for 10 years, they kept dropping my BA GT's insured value each year and i had to phone them up, send photos and so-on just to keep it at $18k, I rang enthusiast insurance they said we can insure for $40k and it was cheaper, i rang back Shannon's and they said they can do $40k too and was even lower...

i don't believe a word any insurer has to say just be prepared to switch.
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 08-09-2021, 01:30 PM   #23
Trendseeker

Quote:

Pick up the phone and ring the companies, alternately some companies have a tool on their websites that can give you an online quote
That may be so, but the quotes are useful for benchmarking against quotes that you can get from the other insurer’s websites.

Calling up each one individually for a quote and waiting in the queue will waste half your day; just go to their websites and get the quote yourself and adjust the options to see how it affects the price.
Old 08-09-2021, 01:37 PM   #24
Trendseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBSXR6 View Post
I have never used one of the compare the market schemes but have been told once they get hold of your details they harass the crap out of you..
Yes, they might send an email to you once in a while which you can delete or unsubscribe from. I wouldn’t describe it as “harassing the crap out of you”, or assume they provide a quote from every insurer in the market

All I’m saying to the OP is just use them to get a better price from his own insurer. It costs nothing apart from deleting an email from them.
Old 08-09-2021, 01:39 PM   #25
Trendseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
One thing that is not in Terror Tree's favour is that Townsville has a very high car theft rate, around >1000 in the last 12 months
Good point. I wasn’t aware of that.
Old 08-09-2021, 02:56 PM   #26
MercuryT
Banned

Yeah I sympathise with those who've had bad experiences.

My car fully insured etc and a person backed into me (ironically I know him as in same car park).

So got his number and I wasn't annoyed just an accident, life goes on.

Claim time. Rejected.

Reason being - the part was considered "unreasonably expensive".

So they continually rejected (despite it being their own "preferred repairer"....) until the other guys insurance said they'd just get it done instead.

Part ordered and fixed a month later (car drove fine so it was no real hassle just looked bad).

Needless to say I have changed insurers.

The amount of time on the phone to deal with it (which they didn't) was ridiculous and extremely unprofessional.
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2021, 04:24 PM   #27
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:

Totally agree with this ^^^^

When I was shopping around for insurance for my Mustang, I went through Comparethemarket.com.au

I got quotes on the insurance companies they recommended on their site.

I was not after the "cheapest", as there is always the "fine print", and exclusions, etc.

Then I decided to go directly to those recommended individual insurers.

Without letting any of them know I had already had a quote from their company through Compare-the-market.... I managed (without any haggling), to get cheaper quotes from each of them!

"Compare-the-market" type providers, are nothing more than a broker or middle-man working on a commission from those insurance companies.

They are there to make money, and not necessarily provide its customers with the best possible price.

If you are prepared to do the leg work and go direct... You will always get a better annual premium!
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-09-2021, 04:31 PM   #28
Blue Dog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercuryT View Post
Yeah I sympathise with those who've had bad experiences.

My car fully insured etc and a person backed into me (ironically I know him as in same car park).

So got his number and I wasn't annoyed just an accident, life goes on.

Claim time. Rejected.

Reason being - the part was considered "unreasonably expensive".

So they continually rejected (despite it being their own "preferred repairer"....) until the other guys insurance said they'd just get it done instead.

Part ordered and fixed a month later (car drove fine so it was no real hassle just looked bad).

Needless to say I have changed insurers.

The amount of time on the phone to deal with it (which they didn't) was ridiculous and extremely unprofessional.
The problem with this story is you didn't name the insurance company!
Blue Dog is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2021, 04:34 PM   #29
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
Totally agree with this ^^^^

When I was shopping around for insurance for my Mustang, I went through Comparethemarket.com.au

I got quotes on the insurance companies they recommended on their site.

I was not after the "cheapest", as there is always the "fine print", and exclusions, etc.

Then I decided to go directly to those recommended individual insurers.

Without letting any of them know I had already had a quote from their company through Compare-the-market.... I managed (without any haggling), to get cheaper quotes from each of them!

"Compare-the-market" type providers, are nothing more than a broker or middle-man working on a commission from those insurance companies.

They are there to make money, and not necessarily provide its customers with the best possible price.

If you are prepared to do the leg work and go direct... You will always get a better annual premium!
they (comparethemarket types) get a price from the company then add their bit on to it, going direct will always be cheaper (as someone above said with motels)

I wanted re-finance a rental house we own (our daughter rents it) and went to a local broker, they told me the cheapest they could get (a company with an online presence only) was 3.5%, my daughter-in-law who is a homes loans officer with Bendigo Bank overhead a conversation we were having, told us to hang on, got her phone out, and said how does 2.5% sound? Bendigo Bank will NOT deal with Brokers, they can always do a better price
3 users like this post:
Old 08-09-2021, 05:00 PM   #30
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Funnily my wife has had 2 insurance claims with Budget.
Our eldest had a good stack in her car, lost control in the wet round a corner, no speeding involved, a right off, no fuss or hassles money paid out.
That was over 5yrs ago.
2nd son done it with her next car (like wtf kids right) , went up the a rse of a mazda ute tray back, again car was a right off, about 3yrs ago, paid up no worries again.

We can't knock them whereas some do, there's always good and not so good stories no matter these Insurance companies.

Yep forget these compare offerings, just do your own research x 2 or 3 easy enough, there's always a saving to find today.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: