Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-06-2005, 08:17 PM   #31
GRNKPR
DPC PERFORMANCE Race prep

In Melb late model cars no hub caps on the commo s i have even noticed a wider tyre yes the extra ariels blue and red lights above rear vision mirror and lights on back parcel shelf sometimes covered by those round baby sunshades and have also seen jackets on parcel shelves too hide the lights (sneaky arnt they) there was a good display of this at the FPV open day this year when the unmaked car was sitting thereand always remember there are two sets of rules one for us and one for them

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria

Ford Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car Club
GRNKPR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2005, 08:23 PM   #32
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

cant always tell there is a Grey XRT in brissy with TRI24 plates and a White SV6 with ordanary qld plates on it, both are undercover hoon squad, there is also a Black XR6 ute with Personal Plates and has a Black canopy on it as well.

in qld they are not exempt from the talking on mobile phone while driving, there was a masave debate a few months back by a passer by taking a pick of a cop talking while driving, he was disiplined for his actions...

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2005, 08:54 PM   #33
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil cv8
no its not. A police officer is exempt from numerous road rules, one of which is displaying P plates, another is talking on a mobile...
So its less safe for a police officer to talk on a mobile phone than a normal citizen. Thats why they have radios in their cars and on them why do they see the need for a mobile

I also hate it when cop cars dont indicate, speed and have basic disregard for road rules. Only when lights and/or sirens are on are they allowed to be exempt from road rules.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2005, 09:02 PM   #34
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
So its less safe for a police officer to talk on a mobile phone than a normal citizen. Thats why they have radios in their cars and on them why do they see the need for a mobile
Nope, they're allowed to use them. Sometimes messages need to be sent to them which are not suitable to send over radio (i.e. people may be listening in), or they dont have good enough radio reception. This is the same across Oz- cops can use mobiles while on the job, but off duty theyre just like the rest of us.

Quote:
I also hate it when cop cars dont indicate, speed and have basic disregard for road rules. Only when lights and/or sirens are on are they allowed to be exempt from road rules.
I agree, they never know how to use indicators yet if i 'forgot' id be shot.
Old 30-06-2005, 09:10 PM   #35
Shonky
my other ride is the bus.

There are some things you just cannot say over the radio. The thing to remember with radio is that anoyone can listen (not quite so easily now that they've gone digital)

Sometimes there are situations that are too delicate to spread all over the airwaves, or even just have other cops hear. (eg: a personal emergency involving another Police officer)

**EDIT** Mitchay beat me to the post. Oh well. What he said!

+ Lots of Land Rovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourbastard
Edelbrock.... not Peter Brock. Theres a world of difference. For a start my heads have much less gum tree in them.
Shonky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2005, 09:36 PM   #36
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cops with their lights and sirens on, just like any other emergency response service,fire,ambo etc...are NOT exempt from the rules of the road...yes these services can bend the rules but if you run a red and cause a prang you get done.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2005, 09:42 PM   #37
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its still bullsh*t though when your doin the speed limit and they speed past. Also when they tailgate. FFS practice what you enforce.
Old 30-06-2005, 09:47 PM   #38
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Its still bullsh*t though when your doin the speed limit and they speed past. Also when they tailgate. FFS practice what you enforce.
Well you could always take down details..time,place,rego etc and make a complaint.

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 30-06-2005, 09:51 PM   #39
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McMaster
Well you could always take down details..time,place,rego etc and make a complaint.
I really dont see the point. I doubt much would be done. I see it so often that they would be overflowing with complaints. Sure theyre are good ones out there but its a bit hypocritcal pulling people over for speeding when they do it aswell whilst patrolling not on a call.
Old 30-06-2005, 09:54 PM   #40
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gayner
Hahaha! I wonder what that one is for!
HF radio, NSW police use them west of Dubbo as well. Trunking is nice but not much good if you are 120Km from the nearest base station.
regards,
Tote
Old 30-06-2005, 09:57 PM   #41
dogbreath_48
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

might have been mentioned already, but in victoria, look out for SS's or XR8's with superman sunshades in the back window - they're hiding the red 'n' blues!.
The cop behind the wheel is often a good clue as well!

-Stu
dogbreath_48 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2005, 10:01 PM   #42
Gammaboy
Grinder+Welder = Race car

Plenty of unmarked Cars operating in Brizzy tonight.....
Old 30-06-2005, 10:09 PM   #43
Dodge
i like to be stroked

some things i have noticed is the steel rims, large tanks, and bald tyres
Old 30-06-2005, 10:25 PM   #44
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lol bald tyres. WTF. How funny would it be to go up to them and say how bout new tyres. Or just make a complaint to RTA or something. Its bad enough have normal citizens on bald tyres let alone cops.
Old 30-06-2005, 10:29 PM   #45
Dodge
i like to be stroked

back2 future, is it OK for a cop to get a message but not a doctor or real estate agent, its all important messages we seem to get but i bet it filling in the day , maybe there is more shane warnes out there dressed in blue
Old 30-06-2005, 10:30 PM   #46
The MaDDeSTMaN
No longer driving a Ford.

I treat any late model car (anything no more then 3 years old) as if it is potentially a unmarked police car. Better safe then sorry I think. Although I must say, in my opinion, what is needed is more MARKED police cars - more of a visible presence on the road would discourage people from driving like tools as often as some do. Don't get me wrong, I'm not always an angel, but doing burnouts and donuts in the middle of busy roads with traffic all around like I have seen around my area many times is just beyond stupid.

I do get nervous if I get followed by a late model Falcon or Commodore, even though I've got nothing to be worried about - just a result of experiences in the past with police who weren't exactly the nicest people I have ever met ("I could say you were doing burnouts, if it went to court, who do you think they'd believe, me or a young P plater?"), although I am well aware that as with any large enugh group, you get the good ones and you get the not-so-good ones.
The MaDDeSTMaN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2005, 11:02 PM   #47
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge
back2 future, is it OK for a cop to get a message but not a doctor or real estate agent, its all important messages we seem to get but i bet it filling in the day , maybe there is more shane warnes out there dressed in blue
i didnt mean SMS messages but i see where youre coming from.
Old 30-06-2005, 11:33 PM   #48
Heeno
Formally knowen as EBus

Quote:
yes yes yes why is this aloud???? we need some cops on here to tell us why they do these things yet bust us when we do it...wonder if the excuse, 'oh but i was only following the police mans example.' LOL doubt it.

Changes: 5 spd manual
Extractors, 2.5in exhaust
AMG Quake 17's w/ maxxis rubba
Lovelle superlows
Cheap a55 Pod Filter

Bike: CR250R 05 :evil3:
Heeno is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2005, 12:13 AM   #49
davocol
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One other thing is unmarked cop cars never have any dealer markings (number plate surrounds, stickers etc), or any other stickers on them like most new cars have these days.
Old 01-07-2005, 12:26 AM   #50
xrgran

One that gets around town here is an xr6T, silver, with body kit, non uniform cop. Shame...it's a damn nice car.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2005, 12:58 AM   #51
EFPWR
B-Series Powered!

Ive seen a cop in vic with a VY/VZ stationwagon too..
Old 01-07-2005, 10:42 AM   #52
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McMaster
Cops with their lights and sirens on, just like any other emergency response service,fire,ambo etc...are NOT exempt from the rules of the road...yes these services can bend the rules but if you run a red and cause a prang you get done.
I believe the rules in NSW have slightly changed:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Road Rules, RTA
Part 19 Exemptions
305 Exemption for drivers of police vehicles
(1) A provision of the Australian Road Rules does not apply to the
driver of a police vehicle if:
(a) in the circumstances:
(i) the driver is taking reasonable care; and
(ii) it is reasonable that the provision should not apply;
and
(b) if the vehicle is a motor vehicle that is moving — the
vehicle is displaying a blue or red flashing light or
sounding an alarm.
Note Motor vehicle and police vehicle are defined in the dictionary.
(2) Subrule (1) (b) does not apply to the driver if, in the
circumstances, it is reasonable:
(a) not to display the light or sound the alarm; or
(b) for the vehicle not to be fitted or equipped with a blue or
red flashing light or an alarm.
However, previously at a case law level:
Michael Eburn, Barrister, for NSW RFS writes:
In the case of Horan v Smith (1986) the Supreme court of the ACT considered the liability of a police officer who, whilst proceeding to investigate a burgular alarm at 6:30am drove through a red light. The blue flashing light was on, but the siren was not. There was an accident and the driver was charged with disobeying a red traffic light. The ACT ordinace was in the same terms as NSW regulations and required the officer to give the "best practicable warning". The police officer said he did not want to use the siren as he did not want to alert anyone who may have been at the scene.

The court said that the obligation on the driver was to give the warning so as to alert others to the danger he created by driving contrary to normal rules. Consideration of the purpose for which the vehicle was being driven does not affect the obligation to give the "best practicable warning"

"The warning that must be given is the best that can be given having regard for the circumstances relating to the danger created by the vehicle and in particular, the opportunity to be given to those endangered to make way for the endangering vehicle. It has nothing to do with the purpose for which the vehicle is being used or its destination"

It is common experience to see police cars travelling through red lights with only their roof lights flashing. Ambulance officers are reluctant to use the siren in the early hours of the morning. Without that warning being given, then section 4a(7) and the regulation 132 do not apply and the driver has no legal right to speed or drive contrary to the road rules that normally apply.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2005, 01:37 PM   #53
LTDHO
The one and only

(this is going off topic)
In Vic they don't have to have both on.
Especially at night they will use lights only.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2005, 09:05 PM   #54
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OK the crux of the debate is,"the driver is taking reasonable care".
If it can be proven that the driver,of any emergency service vehicle,was not taking reasonable care they will get done.

Now I'm only speaking from 30 odd yrs as a firie...where it was drummed into us,yes you can run the red etc but you have to slow down to take account of anyone else that may be around.

Yes e/services are allowed to bend the rules but if you are in the wrong..your gone.

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 01-07-2005, 10:28 PM   #55
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

In other words, John, if you stuff up, they won't go in to bat for you!
Captain Stubing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2005, 10:43 PM   #56
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thats about it swanny however they do put up a fight to the point of we can't win..you've got to wear it.
However having said that I do believe a % of leniency is given to E/service because of their job but you will still get done just not as bad as some d/head doing a run the red etc.

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 01-07-2005, 10:57 PM   #57
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny
In other words, John, if you stuff up, they won't go in to bat for you!
Have a relative going throught this at the moment, lights and siren woman does illegal u-turn in front of the ambulance and now its a court cases and the ambulance service going to water, no backup whatsoever, already cost him his marriage.
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2005, 11:17 PM   #58
EL XR8

Yep thats about right too....
As soon as the Emergency Vehicles are running lights and sirens, they are at fault if any accident happens, pretty much no matter what. Because they are only allowed to run lights and sirens if it is 100% safe to do so.
If you have an accident running them, then it wasn't safe to be doing it..... go figure!

Dave
EL XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2005, 01:50 PM   #59
GRNKPR
DPC PERFORMANCE Race prep

Yeah i have also seen the wollopers in staionwagons sitting in the middle of a traffic island pretending to turn with the passengers window down with the radar pointing out the window I know dont speed and thats fine yes they are doing there job but i wish we all played to the same rules I love the filth

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria

Ford Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car Club
GRNKPR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2005, 07:54 PM   #60
james

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
Personally I look for late model commodore/falcon with antennas, rear parcel shelf red/blue lights (not always though), dash may also have the small red/blue lights mounted.

But besides that they could be in anything really - a few white totally unmarked camrys getting around the parramatta area.

I noticed on the mid north coast they have a few AUIII Futura Wagons. White with blacked out windows. doing mobile Speed Cameras

Grrr at coffs harbour.

from the 100 down to 60 zone just before the resort turn off. 60mtrs from the big banana.

BAs Wagons,sedans, territories. XR8s ,Xr6s, XTs Futuras- all sorts of colours
VZ As above
Camrys as above

you cant be too careful these days. anyone in a car could be a coppa. :Reverend:
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post