Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-06-2008, 12:59 AM   #1
hrtrip
I Hope Holden Dies

Question what to buy???

I was browsing carsales last night and came to the realisation that BA turbos are becoming quite cheap already. for example, i saw a fair few series 1 auto's and 5 speeds for under 20k... Having just received my EL fairmont, thanks to the lovely people at Victoria Police, I am now unsure whether to modify it, or simply save up over the next 6 months or so and buy an XRT... Although, I really would like a BA Mk2 manual for the 6 speed. So here is my question, or list of rather,

how good or bad is the 5spd considering i will want to do exhaust, tune and extractors? Because i think i remember hearing that the box is quite weak, and you will definately need a new clutch whereas the 6 spd can talk around 280 at the wheels before you start to see some major clutch slipping? is it worth waiting an extra 6 months on top and buying the 6 spd?

Also, is the auto any fun? because I have had all auto's before (both fairmonts) so i really want to change to a manual, but i love the fact that i could be driving a XRT...

then there is also the option of modifying my EL, which would be fun, and it would be a nice cruiser, but it is slow haha, and will take an enormous amount of engine work to even make it somewhat 'quick'.

decisions decisions... any help, criticism, sarcasm, tips etc would be greatly appreciated...

cheers guys, HRT R.I.P

Icon Blue BFII Fairmont
Stock as a rock... :(
hrtrip is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2008, 01:41 AM   #2
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wouldnt touch a 5 speed, They are touch and go with the stockers, but the 6 speeds are the go if you like the manual cog swapper.

Maybe check out a few of the government auctions, a BF can be had for under 23000 grand and has the 6 speed auto, manuals are near on impossible to find with ex government.

To get an EL to go fast means a turbo conversion and a nightmare with insurance if you have a blemished record or your under 25, let alone legalities.

Just depends what you want in a car and how fast you want it.

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2008, 02:46 PM   #3
BHDOGS
Banned

Dont buy a b-series turbo its becoming the vl of ford everybodys got one everybodys done it up its getting to the point where there just not special anymore now a done up el turbo thats something atleast half diffrent far from unique but atleast it will cause the "wtf" reaction instead of ba/bf turbos "oh its a ba/bf turbo k"
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2008, 02:55 PM   #4
Creampuff
149 rwkw of Style

Oh i agree!! who wants a "common" bseries turbo, when a rare el turbo would not be half the car anyway!! Good point BHDOGS.
hrtrip...get the bseries and enjoy the better car.
Old 27-06-2008, 02:57 PM   #5
Rob
Living the dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHDOGS
Dont buy a b-series turbo its becoming the vl of ford everybodys got one everybodys done it up its getting to the point where there just not special anymore now a done up el turbo thats something atleast half diffrent far from unique but atleast it will cause the "wtf" reaction instead of ba/bf turbos "oh its a ba/bf turbo k"
Right.. vote this post for 'Worst Post of the Year' award +1

BA MKII would be the go, if not a BF. Slushers go well with turbos, they don't fall off boost, and turbo cars thrive on engine load.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2008, 03:02 PM   #6
satria
FOXWHO

the b series will become the p-plater hoon car the vl calais is/was but it still has a few years yet to take that title... once they hit closer to 10k i'd imagine p-platers might get their hands on them, still some time to go me thinks... and even then a ba mk1 will not compare with what is out at the current time (eg.FG mk1/mk2?) so the p-plater won't be able to compare to the current model.

for now i'd go with the b-series over an el any day
satria is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2008, 03:52 PM   #7
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Will P platers be ALLOWED to drive XR6T by law?

lets see you could get BA XR6T for under 20, spend a little on it and have something very nice and special quite easily, and still reliable and drivable, as ford did the hard work.

Or you could get a much older EL, with poorer brakes/suspension interior etc and turbo it yourself. And have insurance, roadworthy, rego etc nightmares and maybe end up with something fast adn different, but how easy to live with and look after? AND whats the resale?

BAck to the original question, i would try and get 6 speed auto. They are fun to drive, arguably better then the M6.
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2008, 04:03 PM   #8
gozza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creampuff
Oh i agree!! who wants a "common" bseries turbo, when a rare el turbo would not be half the car anyway!! Good point BHDOGS.
hrtrip...get the bseries and enjoy the better car.

why is it a better car? B series are like a$sholes these days

you could have your EL doing high 11's/ low 12's with change from 10 Grand easy

I know what i would do
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2008, 04:10 PM   #9
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Having owned both an elxr8 and a ba 5 speed manual, i'd have to say be common and go the xr6t. The 5 speed manuals are not as bad as many would have you believe, if you treat them right. 300rwkw is about their limit, but hell that is plenty enough power compared to your current ride. My bf2 xr6t does 13.1 quarters with a measly 233rwkw!

The 6 speed manuals are the go for serious 300+rwkw, but how far do you really want to go?

The ba has everything to make your drive enjoyable, whereas the el will never quite do it as well.

A B may be as common as bums, but you will only need $2k to go deep into the 12's
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2008, 04:19 PM   #10
vandrsxr6
Force Fed Fords

I have a T5 and I'm running 310rwkw, with no problems. The gearbox is a tight as the day I got it. Although I don't do any burnouts or take of like an idiot.

If your chasing power with one a good clutch is all thats needed.

310rwkw and always chasing more

Now with 6th Gear

RAPID PERFORMANCE

ORSM FORD CRUISER
vandrsxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2008, 04:25 PM   #11
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Sheesh from taxi's to Hoon P plate cars !!!
WHO CARES !!!
The latter model anyday!!
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2008, 11:43 AM   #12
hrtrip
I Hope Holden Dies

thanks for the comments lads, i think i might have to do a bit more research on the 5spd boxes

Icon Blue BFII Fairmont
Stock as a rock... :(
hrtrip is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2008, 06:15 PM   #13
daniel_rossy
AU Falcon

don't listen to these guys about an xr6t is becoming a vl turbo. buy what makes you happy after all that is why we buy awsome cars.
daniel_rossy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2008, 06:28 PM   #14
zx10

An auto xr6t is still very fun to drive, especially the 6 speed auto. There are a couple for sale atm for under $25k (bf series 1 6 speed auto), so I imagine in 6 months time they will be well under 20k.

I had an el xr8 5 speed with about 320 rear wheel hp and the gearbox started feeling very second hand after 3 months.

Unless you REALLY like using your left leg when driving get the auto.

Goodluck champ.
zx10 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post