Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 18-09-2007, 01:20 AM   #1
annie99
Starter Motor

Default Fiesta xr4 or Focus xr5 turbo?

Hi all, I need some help! I can not decide whether to go with the fiesta or focus. Had a look at both few days ago but have not driven yet (need to earn manual first! ) but I do not know whether to spend the extra $$$ and go with the focus or not. I like both! Any ideas???

annie99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2007, 09:16 AM   #2
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

How much driving experience have you had Annie? (And obviously none in a manual) And what sort of cars have you driven before?
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2007, 05:53 PM   #3
zetec
Zoom Zoom

This is one of the eternal questions that without sounding rude, only you can answer. We can each rabbit on till we're black or blue but your needs are greater than our own needs or desires.

Simply put:

XR4 is smaller, cheaper and eaasier to park, but ride quality is not as comfortable and it's a bit noisier. Uses less fuel.

XR5 Turbo is bigger, more comfortable, quieter inside, more refined, faster and better for highway speeds, uses a little more fuel and is a bit bigger around town when parking but by no means too big at all.

It all comes down to your own needs. Both seat 4 comfortably, and 5 at a squeeze. Bot are hatches that will swallow furniture with the seats down, both look hot and are great value, handle well, brilliantly built and both German quality cars.

I'd lean towards the XR4 if you don't carry too many passengers as it's cheaper to buy, run and easier to park and get around in. Tyres will be cheaper to replace and it has a bulletproof engine. If you do longer trips and take passengers or are planning to grow into the car over a longer time period, the Focus is more practical and gives you room to grow (and even fit in kids down the track). Both otherwise have identical safety and comfort options, along with goodies inside (MP3 stereos and inputs etc)

I made the same decisions 5 years ago when I bought my Focus and settled for the Focus as a long term solution to grow into, including room for future kids. I traded in my Festiva and spent my saving on the Focus that lasted me 5 years until I got a company car, rather than holding onto the cash and driving the Festiva I used to own. The Festiva at the time suited my lifestyle but I was outgrowing it quickly, despite it being a faultless, fun and economical little car.

Just work out your biggest needs, what you'll use it for and that should help. Either way, they're both great, fun, safe, reliable and easy to own cars that look hot, drive brilliantly and will be a pleasure to own.
Old 18-09-2007, 08:58 PM   #4
annie99
Starter Motor

Thanks for the replies. I guess at the age I am at I am probably more leaning towards the focus now I think. Yeah it is a little more $$ but really the repayments per month are not too much more than the repayments for a xr4. So might as well go for the one I really want! Just wondering how much is a decent price to pay for a new one? Sorry for all the questions. I have a festiva 99 still at moment so wanting to buy in about 2 months.
Old 18-09-2007, 09:13 PM   #5
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Depends on what color you want Annie....

42 Inc On roads for an orange one.

or 39 in on roads for a black one.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2007, 12:32 AM   #6
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Awesome car to begin with! I went from a 98 Festiva to a 2002 Focus in early 2003, NEVER looked back!

If the budget doesn't quite stretch, also consider a manual Zetec hatch with leather and safety pack. It offers all the safety and most of the comfort of the XR4 in a bigger Focus package and is perhaps a great compromise between the two.
Old 19-09-2007, 01:17 AM   #7
Miyagi
fordxr5turbo.com

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie99
So might as well go for the one I really want!
Cars are all about passion so go with the one you are most passionate about! Neither will disappoint.

My better half has already declared when we are back from China if i get an XR5T she's getting an XR4.

No arguements here! :

Cheers,
Miyagi

PS - The XR5Ts aren't as hard to find these days so you are now able to negotiate a deal rather than having to pay full RRP.
Old 19-09-2007, 01:27 AM   #8
Steffo
LPG > You

XR4 vs XR5 Turbo? There's no comparison, XR5 Turbo all the way.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2007, 09:18 PM   #9
annie99
Starter Motor

My better half has already declared when we are back from China if i get an XR5T she's getting an XR4.

No arguements here! :

Cheers,
Miyagi

PS - The XR5Ts aren't as hard to find these days so you are now able to negotiate a deal rather than having to pay full RRP.[/QUOTE]

That seems like a pretty good deal Miyagi! I am thinking the black looks pretty good. It's funny I have not been able to find any so far! Will be checking out Sutherland thought tomorrow. Weird, when you don't want one you find them, when you want to have a looksy and are interested I don't seem to find any :
Old 20-09-2007, 11:51 PM   #10
annie99
Starter Motor

Hi guys, Today I got quoted 40,100, then 39,990 for a blue one inc on roads ect. Is this a good price? Or do you think I can do better? Just think they could do a little better than that.
Old 21-09-2007, 08:31 AM   #11
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Not that I'm suggesting you do it, but I've always thought if you turned up with, say, $38,000 in CASH in a briefcase, you'd probably get a great deal on the spot!!!LOL
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2007, 10:11 AM   #12
photn
AFF Post NAZI

hmm thats a bit much steve.. i would say 35 and you could really get a good deal going... im sure they would go.. umm errrr okay....

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2007, 05:59 PM   #13
wadesc
Starter Motor

I pick my Silver XR5T LT up on Tuesday - I got it with leather recaros, 5 yr warr (3 day sale last weekend offer), mats, metalic paint for just over 39 on road without a tradein. PM and I'll let you know how ;)

My local dealer came sort-of close in price, but had a ridiculous offer for trade in on my car so I looked around and got a better deal in all regards.
wadesc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2007, 06:37 PM   #14
Tles
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My advice is to buy the car you are happy to hang onto for a long time. The Focus XR5 is a outstanding car to keep as second family or couples car, as big inside as a Mazda 626 was, but nimble, refined and desirable as any other car under 55 grand.

We recently sold a Silver Xr5 last year we had as our second car. She was great and if we were using her for more than just occassional Sunday drives we'd would still have the car. Happy enough with just the Territory, borrowing a Escape or Hilux from the folks when needed, for the time being anyway.

This is not to say that the XR4 is anything less than outstanding, considered one myself even though I don't need it. The XR5 just ticks all the expected boxes and more - well worth the extra coin, as she'll serve you well for as long as you want to keep it, be that one year or 20.
Tles is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2007, 11:42 AM   #15
J.C.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The family and I went to the Ford dealer in Mackay. While I was ordering a few items for the TS, the better half circled the showroom floor.

An Electric orange XR5 quickly caught her eye. With the advice of Service Manager we took it for a drive.

Orange clothe Recaro interior, six speed manual, it was a ball to drive. I was driving this thing and I was laughing like a child on a rollercoaster. It was fun.

Just driving along at part throttle in third doing about three grand, bad off the throttle and it would pop like a rally car through the exhaust. It would get louder as the revs increased. Both I and the wife liked it.

We got a quote from the dealer. $37900 on road.

We have decided that within 12 months and after the house is buildt, we will get one ....

Go the XR5. What fun it is to drive.
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2007, 02:40 PM   #16
Funky
Starter Motor

Being an XR5 owner, I am defintely biased that way. I got mine for $43K on road in electric orange with leather, mats, and some FPV gear thrown in, and at a time when they weren't that easy to locate.

Also, the fact that with an $1100 retune you get 205KW at the fly and 450nM of torque, it'll keep a smile on your dial for a long time to come. Oh, and replace the centre muffler with a hotdog so you can bloody hear her barking :-)
Funky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2007, 03:29 PM   #17
J.C.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky
Also, the fact that with an $1100 retune you get 205KW at the fly and 450nM of torque, it'll keep a smile on your dial for a long time to come. Oh, and replace the centre muffler with a hotdog so you can bloody hear her barking :-)
Wow! Interesting. I'll keep it in mind. What a buzz that would be. Probably go REX hunting.
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2007, 04:17 PM   #18
MeestaNob!
XR5T - Sea Grey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky
Being an XR5 owner, I am defintely biased that way. I got mine for $43K on road in electric orange with leather, mats, and some FPV gear thrown in, and at a time when they weren't that easy to locate.

How are you finding the extra power in day to day driving? I need to be sold on tuning as I find I find my stock XR5 has plenty of go already (can do chirpies in first 3 gears with DSC on!!).
MeestaNob! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2007, 05:04 PM   #19
BlackLS
yum

When in doubt - add more power.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2007, 05:40 PM   #20
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeestaNob!
How are you finding the extra power in day to day driving? I need to be sold on tuning as I find I find my stock XR5 has plenty of go already (can do chirpies in first 3 gears with DSC on!!).
I got an XR5 as well. Although I can't tell you much about it, as the bloody thing is in the shop and has been since last week : Hopefully back tommorrow.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post