Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > XR6 & XR8 Club of Queensland

Old 14-07-2020, 10:12 AM   #1
au99
Starter Motor

Default Looking for decent mechanic in Cairns

Hi, I got an 06 XR6 BF falcon that needs some work done, and so far, nobody wants to touch it without asking top dollar to repair it.
Anyone knows a mechanic in Cairns who knows fords that can help ?
I got brake problems....

Pads are resting on the discs lightly, and brake boosters adjusted all the way. it's had new discs, pads, fluid bleed and calipers changed (wrecked falcon) and was good for about 500kms before light grinding started again

Tailshaft coupling and possibly the centerbearing. Theres some play in the drive shaft.

Air conditioning was regased after I accidently let it out while changing the cooling system, and they put too much in leading to thumps and eventually a leak somewhere. Compressors a little noisy as well.

Door ajar light is on.

Slippin transmission BTR4spd.

I know I could buy another car on finance, but the car runs pretty sweet otherwise.

Thanks, be safe.
au99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2020, 02:48 PM   #2
Blue Dog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Looking for decent mechanic in Cairns

What would you consider to be a fair hourly rate for someone to work on your car?

I would imagine this person would also be required to have the knowledge, tools & facilities to complete the tasks.
Blue Dog is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2020, 05:05 PM   #3
au99
Starter Motor

90 bucks an hour . I'm just looking for recommendations, other than ford dealership.
au99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2020, 06:07 PM   #4
Blue Dog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm sure you could get someone off the forum to do the brake work at $90 an hour.
Blue Dog is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2020, 06:51 PM   #5
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

I assumed all the indecent Queensland mechanics would either be in prison or in Parliament.
Old 06-04-2021, 03:26 PM   #6
thunderbox
Starter Motor

Thumbs up Re: Looking for decent mechanic in Cairns

I was in Cairns for the weekend and developed an issue while there (bf2 xr6t). Found a recommendation for Gowan (Ricks automotive repairs) on this site, gave him a ring and he booked me in that day. Quickly diagnosed the issue and gave me some options, had me back on the road shortly after. Easy to communicate with and very friendly. I don't like using a label like 'cheap' when it comes to providing a service because cheap is often followed by nasty, but Gowan was very reasonable with price, I will use Ricks automotive repairs again (when needing something done in Cairns) and recommend to friends.

Last edited by thunderbox; 06-04-2021 at 03:31 PM.
thunderbox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post