Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-01-2013, 04:10 PM   #1
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default I learned something today

Was watching telly about the pebble beach concourse and saw ghia badges the same as on all my fairmont ghia's then the camera panned out and it was a 50's model chrysler and the narrator said that ghia was an italian design company that is now owned by ford but for maily just uses the badge for interiors.

I never knew ghia was a separate company that designed some nice prototypes they even did some ferraris well there you go I actually learned something new today I thought I knew alot about ford and it's history

Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-01-2013, 04:18 PM   #2
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: I learned something today

Yeah, from what I recall it was similar to the arrangement that say, BMC (Austin/Morris 1100/1800) and Peugeot 404 had with Pinin Farina, also Italian re small fins housing tail lights and I guess quite a few more....

Facts or the twitterverse, your choice!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
ryeman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2013, 05:02 PM   #3
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Further reading => http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrozzeria_Ghia

Also designed the VW Beetle based Volkswagen Karmann Ghia .

And the 1955 Lincoln Futura which was the basis of the TV series Batmobile which sold today for $4.62M. That's not a bad profit when you consider the Lincoln Futura concept was purchased for $1.

Last edited by Raptor; 22-01-2013 at 05:13 PM.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2013, 05:44 PM   #4
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Yes I was a bit surprised when I seen a VW Karmann Ghia on a TV show the other night. Never knew the story.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2013, 10:55 PM   #5
dannyxm
was danny888

Apparently, Henry ford ii wife at the time (Italian) said to him 'no ford will be as beautiful to have a Ghia badge on it' hence the purchase lol.
Old 22-01-2013, 11:24 PM   #6
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

Now have a look at how many have gone broke or been bought by big manufacturers. There dont seem to be too many independent coach builders these days with a lot of manufacturers going in house:
Karmann (dead), Zagato (dead), Touring (dead), Pininfarina (they were in trouble recently, FIAT helped them out?), Bertone (bought out by FIAT), Italdesign (bought by VW), IDEA (died a while ago), Ghia (bought by Ford and killed off), Gandini (retired? He is 74) & Michelotti (dead).
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2013, 01:20 AM   #7
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Old 23-01-2013, 01:25 AM   #8
Tysonv48
Fairlane Ute

Geez a lot of history connected to the ghia name
Tysonv48 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2013, 08:52 AM   #9
LTDHO
The one and only

A member on these forums owns a Pantera Ghia. (He removed them as he didn't what the uneducated to think he removed them from an Aussie Ford)
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2013, 08:58 AM   #10
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Vic View Post
You can keep that one though

AFAIK Ghia is along the same lines as Bertone (I have a 105 Alfa) and Pininfarina. All have made some beautiful cars, along with some dogs..hehe
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: