Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-01-2013, 02:33 PM   #1
79FordEsky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default 2nd Gen Toyota Celica's A40/A50s

Hi,

I know this is a ford forum and I am looking into getting a 2nd gen Toyota Celica liftback I have one in mind that i am currently looking at and I just need to know what market value is? and also are they any good as a car in general?

Cheers
Stewart

My Survivor 1 owner XC Wagon
Check it Out
79FordEsky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2013, 05:39 PM   #2
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 2nd Gen Toyota Celica's A40/A50s

Happy 3rd Gen (and FG G6E) owner here(no law saying you can't own and enjoy both...)...my main comment on a 2nd Gen is "Buy one if you get the chance".

First off, it's a Toyota...you know it'll just keep going and there's a stunning array of second hand parts and even brand new parts available for Celicas. They're no problem to keep on the road, as long as you start with a good 'un.

They had a variety of engines, from cooking to stonking hot...the 18RG two liter twin cam with twin side draft Solex carbs is the one to desire. I've got one of these engines sitting in my shed for the day when the 21RC in my Celica gets too tired. About 140hp standard, mated with a sweet five speed and shifting a good chassis that doesn't weigh a lot, and modifications on these engines are literally in the realm of "The sky is the limit".

The 2nd Gen was a bit more "luxury" than the 1st Gen, is roomier, and has nicer interior touches. You can pick them up with factory air and good cloth interiors if you look hard enough.

Modification. There's a massive amount of knowledge out there about Celicas old and new, and you will never have any problem finding out "Can I do X to it successfully and easily?"

Parts will be cheap...the chassis and handling might be miles ahead of the ordinary Toyotas of the time, however many of the underpinnings and mechanical bits of Celicas are shared with other Toyotas like Corollas, Coronas, and Cressidas. I'm just redoing the rear brake slave cylinders in mine...they're the same parts as in the old Corona, and only cost about $30 brand new.
Body parts are the one to look out for...as I said, buy the best one you can find, but again, most panels are available new from various sources, and glass still isn't a problem. They're such a popular car world wide that someone will always have what you need, or know where you can get it.

Prices vary...I've seen them from a few grand up to maybe $10,000 for a really good one that's had a few mods. I paid $5000 for my outstanding and almost new 70,000km one-owner 3rd Gen five years ago.

Bit more info about them:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Celica

Last edited by 2011G6E; 22-01-2013 at 05:53 PM.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2013, 05:43 PM   #3
BA Turbo

first gen owner here got two in the back yard ones mine ones "daddys"
BA Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2013, 06:15 PM   #4
Scudn64
FG F6

I own a first gen ra28 with a worked 18RG.

I personally wouldnt own anything after the first gen but if you are
try and get one with the 18RG. Or a very cheep 18rc and convert it.
Scudn64 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2013, 08:51 PM   #5
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scudn64 View Post
I own a first gen ra28 with a worked 18RG.
Niiiiice. Pics? The RA28 is the pick of the bunch until you get all the way down to the GT4 Celica. Both are pretty much as hard to get hold of a good one now.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post