Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-01-2021, 11:44 AM   #1
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Vinyl Going Sticky

I’ve read a little across the ‘net on this. Plenty of (no surprise) under-informed commentary.

What I want to know, is - for the softer vinyl used on B series Falcons and corresponding Territory door trim uppers/arm rests - what exactly is going on.
  • Is there natural latex in the vinyl, that’s degrading?
  • Is it a material that’s tipped over into an unstoppable state of chemical imbalance and will continue to break down?
  • Is it caused by exposure to certain types of chemicals and the reaction’s byproduct can effectively be removed/stalled?

The reason I want to know, is in order to possibly glue microfibre “suede” over these materials.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2021, 01:18 PM   #2
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Default Re: Vinyl Going Sticky

I guess dust, UV and sweat doesn't help vinyl age.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-01-2021, 01:18 PM   #3
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think it's from oils.
The top of my BA door trim has gone all sticky where I rest my elbow.
It's actually gotten worse since cleaned it.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2021, 09:23 PM   #4
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Our Territory interior has suffered due to the missus using hand sanitiser...steering wheel and door trim
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2021, 09:31 PM   #5
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Has anyone arrested the process, found a way to remove the sticky vinyl feeling, without “over-coating”?

I’m worried if I clean it with thinner and glue on the fabric, it may release quickly.
Old 24-01-2021, 10:06 PM   #6
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

The same happens in Mercedes, I had a S class that had the problem on the non leather parts, I found after trial and error that Metho gets the goo off, you have to give it a couple of liberal wipe overs but it removed the sticky crap
prktkljokr is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2021, 11:12 PM   #7
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

For some reason I can't quote prev post to reply to what may be done about the "sticky" feeling on surfaces.

I had success a few years ago by rubbing talcum powder onto a "sticky" laptop case.

Lasted for at least a couple of years until I sold the laptop.

Might be worth a try. It certainly won't damage anything.

ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-01-2021, 11:44 PM   #8
xb74_black

My theory is that the cleaning products we use do long term damage to the plastics/rubbers/vinyls.
xb74_black is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2021, 10:15 AM   #9
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

White spirits is the best to remove most sticky stuff from trims. That or Prepsol, used to use in dealerships all the time.
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2021, 10:26 AM   #10
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

just thinking, at the supermarket you can get "Planet Ark Orange Power Sticky Spot and Goo Dissolver" in a small orange bottle in the cleaning section, for only a few dollars. Try a small inconspicuous spot first to see what happens, then rinse or wipe off with warm soapy water. I found it far more effective than metho or wax and grease remover (prepsol), when they were only marginally effective in removing old contact adhesive residue.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2021, 12:56 PM   #11
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

That might work; at this stage I’m quite open to suggestions.

I’ve observed some details, the sticky tactile coated items (eg door grips) are a different kettle of fish and not really what I’m fussed with here - got a method for them already.

The upper part of the door card is vinyl with a thin PE or PET foam backing. Stickiness on these parts, seems to come from the outside and therefore has a good prospect of being cleaned up.

The armrests are vinyl type skin that’s bonded to a medium firm, foam rubber type underlay of about 5mm thickness. Not spray glued or vacuumed but a much stronger, moulded and formed bond.

I believe the foam rubber underneath is breaking down, either the stickiness starts here or with a reaction to the vinyl overlaid. I don’t feel these are “saveable” but should be replaced/re-trimmed.
Old 25-01-2021, 03:04 PM   #12
ford12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I’ve read a little across the ‘net on this. Plenty of (no surprise) under-informed commentary.

What I want to know, is - for the softer vinyl used on B series Falcons and corresponding Territory door trim uppers/arm rests - what exactly is going on.
  • Is there natural latex in the vinyl, that’s degrading?
  • Is it a material that’s tipped over into an unstoppable state of chemical imbalance and will continue to break down?
  • Is it caused by exposure to certain types of chemicals and the reaction’s byproduct can effectively be removed/stalled?

The reason I want to know, is in order to possibly glue microfibre “suede” over these materials.

It is the oil (plasticizer) coming out, this is what is used to make the vinyl soft.
It can't be stopped, it will keep leaching untill there is none left, then your vinyl will be dry and cracked.
The only way to stop this happening is to make the vinyl with a different plasticizer to begin with, but this is a lot more expensive.
It can be slowed by keeping heat and sunlight to a minimum.
All you can do now is keep it clean by wiping the plasticizer away when required, I would use metho, but always check on a small spot first.
The foggy looking residue on the inside of the windscreen (when you haven't cleaned it for a while ) is the same or similar oil coming from every thing plastic in your car.
ford12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2021, 07:47 PM   #13
Stubbie

Same thing happens with some old cameras. I have 2 Canon cameras exactly the same and roughly the same age. One covered with a sticky residue and the other perfectly clean. One has been handled more than the other so it's probably some reaction between the rubber and sweat. I can't remember what the fix was last time I googled it.
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2021, 10:24 PM   #14
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had a 2009 Rio, where the control knobs did the same. They were still that way when we sold it.