Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-01-2021, 08:00 PM   #31
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 2021 Ford Mustang Mach E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
$42K USD probably translates to $85K-$95K AUD by the time you buy it here plus LCT.

What's a Tesla model 3 worth in Australia? That was supposed to be $35K USD
Probably, but we won't even get it, so I guess you have to look at US prices.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2021, 08:12 PM   #32
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
$42K USD probably translates to $85K-$95K AUD by the time you buy it here plus LCT.

What's a Tesla model 3 worth in Australia? That was supposed to be $35K USD
Tesla Model 3 is circa $37k USD. The base model 3 never made it to Australia. The one we got was $39k USD. It sells here for $66k plus on roads. So if you're in the ACT, there is no stamp duty and now no rego for EVs. Other states, around $70k AUD drive away (no LCT up to $77k for fuel efficient cars).

Ford would do well to price it around the same price given the falling USD but as Bossxr8 said, they're sold out for the next two years. Let's see what the exchange rates are by then.

It's going to be shy of $80k on road in Australia is my prediction.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited by kypez; 26-01-2021 at 08:41 PM.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2021, 09:11 PM   #33
JasonACT
Away on leave

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Outstanding work on the FG ICC issues. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The insane amount of work he has put into the Falcon FG ICC is unbelievable. He has shared everything he has done and made a great deal of it available to us all. He has definitely helped a great deal of us with no personal gains to himself. 

Yep, I'm not going to whinge about the ACT's benefits. Rego is going to be free for two years, so take a couple of $k's off the price, like I said - nothing to whinge about.

Just for some additional info though, Ford sold out because they can't source enough batteries and it's a limited number of builds. This may go on for a while too. A few hundred per US state, and some more still for the EU where they have to gain ground in a tighter, harder market. I'm not going to call that a success, yet, I'll happily wait for how things pan out.

And we're talking the base model here - which I certainly don't want. It's ever so close to that threshold too, which will soon make it very unappealing.

It may not come to Oz for a while. When it does, it won't be a bad car (I do kind of like it, though I don't understand the name) but it'll have competition (with any luck for consumers like me) and I'm not likely to pay a premium for that name which is why I'm happy to wait to see how it goes for Ford.

Oh, and I still don't think it's affordable (here) for those who would get a kick out of the name "and don't care" about the heritage.
JasonACT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2021, 09:45 PM   #34
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Agreed; it fits the two-syllable model of many imported words dear to the Asian argot - )
My favourite is 'Trajet'.

Does it have 3 carbys, or is it just really an adjective describing an unfortunate event?
Old 26-01-2021, 09:51 PM   #35
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
It sold out it’s first year allocation within a day or so. It’s sold out long, long in advance. Sales are not an issue at all. It’s a success before it’s even made it to customers.

Much like the original Mustang, so there's that.

I like it, like the naming/brand association. It will help Ford into the future.
Old 26-01-2021, 10:09 PM   #36
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
Tesla Model 3 is circa $37k USD. The base model 3 never made it to Australia. The one we got was $39k USD. It sells here for $66k plus on roads. So if you're in the ACT, there is no stamp duty and now no rego for EVs. Other states, around $70k AUD drive away (no LCT up to $77k for fuel efficient cars).

Ford would do well to price it around the same price given the falling USD but as Bossxr8 said, they're sold out for the next two years. Let's see what the exchange rates are by then.

It's going to be shy of $80k on road in Australia is my prediction.

$70K buys you a nice normal car, whats a 300C SRT go for these days? I think its around that $70K mark, or something like a Kia Stinger 330S.

Add on the road user charges you'll pay in VIC on top of your rego at 2.5c/KM for the Tesla Model 3 and its a tall ask.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2021, 10:38 PM   #37
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
$70K buys you a nice normal car, whats a 300C SRT go for these days? I think its around that $70K mark, or something like a Kia Stinger 330S.

Add on the road user charges you'll pay in VIC on top of your rego at 2.5c/KM for the Tesla Model 3 and its a tall ask.
Well, you pay 2.5 cents/km for an EV while you pay 5.499 cents/km in fuel excise on top of the actual petrol price (calculated at 13 litre/100 for the 300 SRT which we know is no where near its real world usage; you'd be paying a lot more per kms in fuel excise)

Also, 300 SRT is now dead in Australia.

And its 4.3146 cents/km at the Kia Stingers 10.2 litres/100 (which again is no where near real world).

By my maths, you'd have to use less than 5.9 litres/100 to equal the EV 2.5 cents/km.

It also costs on average $1.10 per/100kms worth of electricity to run an EV in the Eastern States (on coal). I'm sure you'll pay more than that in any car for fuel!

So a whopping $1.10 fuel plus $2.50 Vic tax so $3.60 per 100kms (lets round up to $4 for fun) vs $10.20 per 100 for the Stinger or $13 for the SRT at $1 a litre for fuel which, lets be honest, is not something we see. Tell me again how that is a tall ask?!

Last edited by kypez; 26-01-2021 at 11:03 PM.
Old 30-01-2021, 07:56 PM   #38
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

And just like that, the Mustang is off my shopping list

https://www.motor1.com/news/482958/m...made-in-china/

Changan Ford will manufacture the EV SUV for local customers.

With first deliveries in the United States already underway,*Ford*is enjoying positive customer feedback for its first-ever electric Mustang. The automaker targets an annual output of 50,000 units for the first year on the market but so far it has*produced fewer than 10,000 units*from the*Mustang Mach-E. The production numbers should go up significantly soon, as Ford has just announced the zero-emission SUV will be also manufactured in*China.

4 users like this post:
Old 31-01-2021, 12:27 PM   #39
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
And just like that, the Mustang is off my shopping list

https://www.motor1.com/news/482958/m...made-in-china/

Changan Ford will manufacture the EV SUV for local customers.

With first deliveries in the United States already underway,*Ford*is enjoying positive customer feedback for its first-ever electric Mustang. The automaker targets an annual output of 50,000 units for the first year on the market but so far it has*produced fewer than 10,000 units*from the*Mustang Mach-E. The production numbers should go up significantly soon, as Ford has just announced the zero-emission SUV will be also manufactured in*China.

Quote:
A part of the manufacturer’s “Best of Ford, Best of China” strategy to “offer Chinese customers industry-leading smart vehicles and advanced technologies,” the local production of the Mach-E will be managed by Changan Ford. At least for now, the Chinese production will be only for customers in China.
A wait and see I guess.
Old 31-01-2021, 12:37 PM   #40
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
A wait and see I guess.
Yes. Tesla said the same thing. And now look. I reckon Ford are doing the same gently gently approach.

I have little faith that we'll get US made cars when China (or Thailand like with the Ranger/Everest) works out so much cheaper for companies to supply us in the APAC region.

Last edited by kypez; 31-01-2021 at 12:58 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 31-01-2021, 01:07 PM   #41
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Yes. Tesla said the same thing. And now look. I reckon Ford are doing the same gently gently approach.

I have little faith that we'll get US made cars when China (or Thailand like with the Ranger/Everest) works out so much cheaper for companies to supply us in the APAC region.

I guess they're also seeing what approach to China the new government will have.
Old 31-01-2021, 07:57 PM   #42
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Considering how poorly made the current generation Mustang is, a Ford made in China can't be any worse.

Considering how long Ford have been making cars for, I just don't understand why Ford seems to think poorly aligned bodywork is in any way normal.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 31-01-2021, 08:08 PM   #43
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Considering how poorly made the current generation Mustang is, a Ford made in China can't be any worse.

Considering how long Ford have been making cars for, I just don't understand why Ford seems to think poorly aligned bodywork is in any way normal.
The MIC Tesla is built better than the US built ones. They just don't know how to build cars! But, the political situation is why I wouldn't buy Chinese.

2 users like this post:
Old 01-02-2021, 02:15 PM   #44
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I don't see the issue, if chinese made mach e's are made only for chinese buyers. We all know china screws anyone who tries to import cars into there.

Need to remember that the chinese made cars will only be LHD, where the North American built ones are both RHD and LHD. So if they came here, at this stage it looks like only North American built ones will be available for us.

Unless things change of course.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2021, 10:18 AM   #45
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post

Or people would rather save $10 on price and not paint under the bonnet or boot properly

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
PooDog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2021, 03:55 PM   #46
ag71
Starter Motor

We definitely need these here along with the Bronco if Ford is to compete sales wise and remain relevant we can't solely rely on the Ranger forever otherwise Ford will follow Holden.
ag71 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2021, 08:58 PM   #47
MercuryT
Banned

Not a fan sorry.

But then I'm not a current Mustang as just look so awkward.

The rear shocking imo.
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2021, 09:00 PM   #48
MercuryT
Banned

The GT350R they sold in US well yeah that looked great. (even if still not great.....way too heavy - an Aventador or Gran Turismo Maserati sort of makes our Mustangs look very "try-hard")
This user likes this post:
Old 13-02-2021, 05:13 PM   #49
MercuryT
Banned

I'm now converted as not a huge Mustang fan (especially poor quality inside).

Saw a black one with thin red custom racing stripes (about 3mm wide max) and front splitter and rear lights (God awful standard imo) blackened out with red trim.

Looked amazing. Sounded good but i'd have it much (much) louder but each to their own.

Wicked car and I told him too and he loved the chat.

Last edited by MercuryT; 13-02-2021 at 05:22 PM.
Old 14-02-2021, 05:36 PM   #50
MercuryT
Banned

50 grand and 20ks.........

Tempted!!
Old 14-02-2021, 05:37 PM   #51
MercuryT
Banned

Old 14-02-2021, 08:28 PM   #52
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Merc T

This thread is for the Mustang Mach E.

If you want to post some other stuff up either start a new thread or find a thread that is more relevant.

Cheers.
PG2 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 14-02-2021, 08:30 PM   #53
MercuryT
Banned

Righto I'm out.

Thanks all.
Old 25-09-2021, 12:33 PM   #54
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ford Mustang Mach-E passes Michigan State Police test as 1st all-electric pursuit vehicle

An all-electric police pilot vehicle based on the 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E SUV just became the first all-electric vehicle to pass Michigan State Police testing that included acceleration, top speed, braking and high-speed pursuit and emergency response handling, the company announced Friday.

Tests by the Michigan State Police and Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department establish standards that law enforcement agencies all over the country use to evaluate vehicles.

“The fact that the Mustang Mach-E successfully stood up to the grueling Michigan State Police evaluation demonstrates that Ford can build electric vehicles that are capable, tough and reliable enough for even the most challenging jobs,” Ted Cannis, CEO of Ford Pro, the automaker's commercial division, said in a statement.

Quote:

Building cop cars is big business
Police vehicles are a key market for Ford.

The Dearborn automaker has long established itself as a trusted supplier of police cars and SUVs, which generate significant revenue for the automaker.

Ford provides about two-thirds of police vehicles in the U.S...

Rest of the article at

https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...ng/5840913001/
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2021, 12:47 PM   #55
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Does anyone have any info on the window issues the Mach-e is having? Something about the window (top) falling out, similar issues the Tesla was having.

I saw an article but can't find it. I wonder if these issues were traced to the China Plant.
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2021, 07:05 AM   #56
Para045

I'd seriously consider one these days looking at the specs, certainly the missus would have one to replace her Turbo Terra especially with the extended-range battery giving 357Kw & 490km's range

I used to be 100% anti electric/hybrid back when the Prius etc came out because they were absolutely woeful as far as range and performance figures went but since the Tesla's came out things have really improved markedly

Funny thing is my 18 yr old son reckons he'll never have an electric car as they just aren't a "real car" despite them getting to the point where they outperform an ICE He doesn't seem to realize there will come a point he wont have a choice

Plus the charging infrastructure has also gotten a lot better (although nowhere near good enough for mass take-up )

Saying that it's getting better and by the time they get here I'll probably be about due to upgrade our solar power setup on the house and add storage which would help with being able to charge it instead of getting raped by the electricity providers
Old 01-10-2021, 10:41 AM   #57
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Hopefully Ford can channel a few dollars towards improving the dynamics of the Mach E Mustang

https://www.motor1.com/news/537006/f...he-moose-test/

Mach-E Proves It's A Real Mustang By Spectacularly Failing Moose Test

Life isn't easy for the Ford Mustang. It's been the butt of so many car-crash jokes in recent years that a 'Stang spinning out leaving a car show is a legit cliché. And then you have the Mustang Mach-E, officially wearing Mustang badges but widely dismissed by pony car owners as not being a real Mustang. Now, with an extremely poor showing in the dreaded moose test, the Mach-E takes another punch on the chin. Or does it?

The answer to that question is yes, though we suspect some might interpret this another way. Clearly, the Mach-E demonstrates poor emergency handling characteristics in this moose test video, published recently by Teknikens Värld on YouTube. At a speed of just 68 km/h (42 mph), the EV's backside steps out in dramatic fashion on the second turn of the test, wiping out a few cones before barely coming back under control for the final maneuver. Bumping the speed up to 72 km/h (45 mph) sees the Mach-E leave the freaking course entirely, without completing the last section. Yikes.

By comparison, a Tesla Model Y completed the same test at 75 km/h (47 mph) without any cone strikes, though it did look a bit wild. The Hyundai Ioniq 5 was also tested at a speed of 72 km/h (45 mph) and passed with flying colors, looking the most composed of all three EV crossovers. We even stepped back in time a few years to look at the current-generation Ford Mustang in the moose test, and actually, it was extremely well behaved. At 77 km/h (48 mph) it cleared the course without breaking a sweat.
Old 01-10-2021, 12:09 PM   #58
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hopefully Ford can channel a few dollars towards improving the dynamics of the Mach E Mustang

https://www.motor1.com/news/537006/f...he-moose-test/

Mach-E Proves It's A Real Mustang By Spectacularly Failing Moose Test

Life isn't easy for the Ford Mustang. It's been the butt of so many car-crash jokes in recent years that a 'Stang spinning out leaving a car show is a legit cliché. And then you have the Mustang Mach-E, officially wearing Mustang badges but widely dismissed by pony car owners as not being a real Mustang. Now, with an extremely poor showing in the dreaded moose test, the Mach-E takes another punch on the chin. Or does it?

The answer to that question is yes, though we suspect some might interpret this another way. Clearly, the Mach-E demonstrates poor emergency handling characteristics in this moose test video, published recently by Teknikens Värld on YouTube. At a speed of just 68 km/h (42 mph), the EV's backside steps out in dramatic fashion on the second turn of the test, wiping out a few cones before barely coming back under control for the final maneuver. Bumping the speed up to 72 km/h (45 mph) sees the Mach-E leave the freaking course entirely, without completing the last section. Yikes.

By comparison, a Tesla Model Y completed the same test at 75 km/h (47 mph) without any cone strikes, though it did look a bit wild. The Hyundai Ioniq 5 was also tested at a speed of 72 km/h (45 mph) and passed with flying colors, looking the most composed of all three EV crossovers. We even stepped back in time a few years to look at the current-generation Ford Mustang in the moose test, and actually, it was extremely well behaved. At 77 km/h (48 mph) it cleared the course without breaking a sweat.
Is the inference it's down solely to DSC calibration or is there an issue with the rear suspension design as well? Out of curiosity I would have liked both tested with DSC off just to see if it's a design issue or purely calibration issue of the electronics.

I recently attempted a "Moose test" with my new van but sadly couldn't find a moose willing to volunteer.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-10-2021, 08:37 PM   #59
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Failing a moose test hasn't stopped people buying the Hilux and Jeep Cherokee in big numbers.
Has FORD responded to this?
Is this part of the dynamics to allow max slip angle from the rear as a 'Sporty' Drive?
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2021, 09:50 PM   #60
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
Is the inference it's down solely to DSC calibration or is there an issue with the rear suspension design as well? Out of curiosity I would have liked both tested with DSC off just to see if it's a design issue or purely calibration issue of the electronics.

I recently attempted a "Moose test" with my new van but sadly couldn't find a moose willing to volunteer.
I don't think you can even turn off DSC on these cars. But whats the point of testing it without DSC? At the end of the day, if it has the feature, what are we trying to prove by not using it? Whats next? Lets do wet weather brake tests without ABS or let see how you can drive a car without Power Steering or Vacuum assisted Brakes? They all go hand in hand I'd suggest. Curiosity asides, there is no point testing without it.

Dynamics no doubt play a part and there is only so much the software can do to compensate for it. As they can, can only make the best of what they have to work with. But Modern DSC systems can do some miraculous things.