Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Laser and Telstar

Old 12-06-2017, 11:56 PM   #1
Resal007
Starter Motor

Default KQ driver's side door lock not opening

I have a KQ laser with a problem with the lock not opening. When I insert the key it only turns to about 1 o'clock not 3 o'clock as it is supposed to. I have been able to open the door by wiggling the key while I pull up on the lock knob. When the door is open the key operates normally, including the central locking. But when the door is closed, the key won't turn. I don't think the problem is with the "lock" but where it secures the door to the body. I have removed the door cover but not too sure what to look for.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I am getting a little tired of climbing in through the passenger door! I am sure one day I'll accidentally kick off some knobs off the radio or heater.

Thanks
Resal007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2017, 07:20 AM   #2
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Re: KQ driver's side door lock not opening

Have a look in our Tech Portal as the KQ Workshop manual is there. Door locks and latches will generally be under the 'Body System' section.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2017, 12:34 AM   #3
Resal007
Starter Motor

Thanks Russ. I have had a look and wasn't able to find any information regarding doors/latches from the manuals in your link. However, I have attached the door diagram from a Mazda 323 manual I found elsewhere. I am guessing the issue is with the door lock as shown in figure 8.

I am still wondering if I need to replace it, or if there is something I need to look at/fix?

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Door.bmp (33.7 KB, 5 views)
Old 18-07-2017, 12:22 AM   #4
Resal007
Starter Motor

The issue has been resolved and thought I would leave an update in case anyone has a similar problem.

The lock mechanisms come in either 3 wire or 5 wire. 5 wire is for cars with central locking AND remote entry, whereas 3 wire is required for central locking only. I required the 3 wire lock. The part is obsolete and not available new from Ford, and very hard to find from local wreckers. I ended up having to go to a Mazda wrecker and was told that I could use a 5 wire lock afterall.

The guys at Allmaz (Clayton Sth, Vic) were very helpful, but I probably could have found one from a local wrecker if I knew I could use 5 wire lock.

The new mechanism is in and the door now locks/unlocks properly.

Cheers
This user likes this post: