Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 11-06-2009, 09:01 PM   #1
ten[A]cio[U]s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default *BANG* WTF was that!

Howdy guys,

Got a weird one that's never happened to me before (well before I had the diff done)

Here the situation.. I currently got a new Kaaz diff with 3.9s. It goes great in a straight line, but around corners hops and skips and clunks (needs the clutch packs relayed). In knowing this, it hasn't caused me a problem like this before..

I was driving home from uni today and came to a stop, nobody around and was quite. So I decided to open her up to the 80km speed limit around a long bend. Here is what happened next..

Took off great and smooth in first, not skidding or losing traction, then gear changed to 2nd (in econ) "free-reved" then BANG, almighty crack in the middle to back of car, then rear's lit up and I was sideways (this was not intended and not an intentional "hoon" act). Freaked the hell out of my so I pulled over. No oil, smoke coming from the car, nothing.. Just two dirty big black lines and smoke settling..

This has never happened before, and I have no idea what, why, or how this happened???

Does anyone have an Idea of what this would have been?

PS: Car is Auto with tranny cooler (recently serviced), and in need of a tune

Future fun: 1968 Ford Galaxie 500

ten[A]cio[U]s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2009, 09:05 PM   #2
gtfpv
GT

i'd say you travelled into a parralel universe and ended up with 400 RWKWS FOR A FEW SECONDS .

SERIOUSLY THOUGH maybe low oil level in box .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2009, 09:39 PM   #3
Cam
Stroking it...

As above, probably a mixture of the box slipping and then possibly diff hitting the underside of the car after the box hit 2nd

EDIT: Seeing as it has just been serviced, you sure it's got the right fluid in it?
Now: Busted assed EB Wagon - 5sp and Dual Fuel.
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2009, 09:41 PM   #4
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
i'd say you travelled into a parralel universe and ended up with 400 RWKWS FOR A FEW SECONDS .

SERIOUSLY THOUGH maybe low oil level in box .
Bloody LMAO

This is true I would say.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2009, 10:22 PM   #5
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Sounds like the S5 solenoid in the gearbox might be playing up. The S5 determines how hard and how fast it goes into gear depending on a number of factors including engine speed and throttle position. In economy mode it lazily slides into gear slowly and smoothly. In power mode it should be a bit quicker and firmer. If it's playing up it flares between gears then slams into the next gear.You were giving it the welly so it flares at high revs and what do you know, wheel spin and sideways cos you've got your foot planted. It's like having a shift kit fitted so there's NO slippage into gear just all or nothing but with a dicky S5 it hesitates between gears so the engine flares up then SLAM!!
The bang could be the box or motor lurching and hitting the body due to a soft mount or the diff as mentioned or it could just be the box itself making that noise on a full noise slam shift.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2009, 02:56 AM   #6
The Monty
Just slidin'

Id say its the box slipping. When you get a service you must ensure hey do not put the factory amount of tranny fluid in as you now have a trans cooler, and will eed more then the factory amount. Shops are lazy and will do what the book says.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:31 AM   #7
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Oil or maybe your inhibitor switch.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2009, 09:12 AM   #8
ten[A]cio[U]s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wish it was 400rwkw and was meant to do this lol, but it isnt!

When the diff goes in to be looked at I will get the to check the box and make sur ethe correct ammount of fluid it in it.. Was very very unexpected and felt like crap. Massive gold all mighty bang!

I will be putting in a new swapbar next week so while its up I will check for any dents and see if it caused any damage.

I never knew the diff could have that much movement..

Old 12-06-2009, 09:13 AM   #9
ten[A]cio[U]s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also Stav, what is a inhibitor switch mate?

Thanks all for the advice!

This bloody auto is making me want a manual more and more......!

Old 12-06-2009, 08:45 PM   #10
ayeyew
Teh Baest

C'mon mate, cant go past the AU 4spd auto

Betta than the ZF's if u ask me ;)

btw, gimmie ur diff and gears thx

Coming..CMS Stg2A Cam, 68mm TB
Later.. 4.5L w/ BOOOOOOOOOOST or XR6T or AUIII XR8 220

Currently:
151kW (165 on other dynos )
ayeyew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2009, 11:19 PM   #11
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Betta than the ZF's if u ask me
wtf r u smoking
Old 13-06-2009, 01:44 PM   #12
ayeyew
Teh Baest

taken from dictionary.com

sar⋅casm
  /ˈsɑrkćzəm/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [sahr-kaz-uhm] Show IPA
–noun
1. harsh or bitter derision or irony.
2. a sharply ironical taunt; sneering or cutting remark: a review full of sarcasms.
Origin:
1570–80; < LL sarcasmus < Gk sarkasmós, deriv. of sarkázein to rend (flesh), sneer; see sarco-

Synonyms:
1. sardonicism, bitterness, ridicule. See irony 1 . 2. jeer.

Say it with me now

Sahr-Kaz-Uhm

Coming..CMS Stg2A Cam, 68mm TB
Later.. 4.5L w/ BOOOOOOOOOOST or XR6T or AUIII XR8 220

Currently:
151kW (165 on other dynos )
ayeyew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post