Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 10-09-2007, 06:40 PM   #1
1lifeliveit
Focus is my middle name

Default Queensland roadworthy sucks!!

Hi guys

Ive moved from melbourne to brissy coupla months ago and im trying to transfer my registration to queensland for which i need a roadworthy

I really thought it wud be a breeze...( the car is in excellent shape....just involves checking if everythings working the way it shud)...Nope...no wayy

I took it to Kmart auto....apparently my tyres are no good ( to me theres another 15k atleast in 'em)......brake rotors are gone...( they have to be 20mm thick minimum...but they are only 19.95mm)...my handbrake cover is illegal..(no antislip grip on 'em.....now c'mon : ).....the gearknob doesnot display the shift pattern on it ...(F@#$ing ridiculuos)

When I change tyres I have to stick to the sizes given by the manufacturer. For instance I cant do 205/45 R17 coz its not in the list of sizes (sticker in the glove box). I have to change sump plugs everytime I change oil (Ive never heard of this..has anyone?)

The whole things gonna cost me more than 2 grand (to get a roadworthy !!!!!). and Im planning to sell the car soon coz i got a company ute now.

I know that garages try and suck every possible penny outta u in the name of roadworthy...but this is sick

Has someone else have any experience with roadworthies? If only someone can tell me somewhere thats a bit more flexible in giving a roadworthy.......

My only other option is to take the car back to mel....leave it with frds and try to sell it there

3 door, Panther Black, Manual, 17" MP3 Alloys, SVT Airbox with K&N panel filter, SVT Snorkel, Leather Gear Knob and Steel Handbrake Cover, ST170 pedals, ST170 Lower grille, CFM UDP

Not too soon : Focus sport/Borla Exhaust, Throttle body

Last edited by 1lifeliveit; 10-09-2007 at 06:47 PM.
1lifeliveit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2007, 06:58 PM   #2
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Sounds like K mart auto are the problem?

Take it to somewhere else?
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2007, 07:20 PM   #3
Tj-zetec
Knows nothing. Apparently

change the sump plug?, that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. i had to replace mine (rounded the head on the bolt) and it cost me $26 for a replacement!. These clowns sound like they're taking you for a ride.
Tj-zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2007, 07:42 PM   #4
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Ask around, you'll find a guy who will basically just sign the paper if there is nothing serious wrong with your car.

Normally big chains get picky on things like ripped seats, a speck of rust etc
The faults they say would be real according to the road rules and manufacturers specifications (including the sump plug, brake bolts are similar) but would not make a car "unsafe" to the average person.
eg - small rip in the seat can be "fixed" with an el cheapo seat cover

Find a single mechanic bloke for better results

Not in Brisbane so can't help you with names there.

On the other side of the coin I have bought "roadworthy" cars which Blind Freddy could see were not roadworthy, from the Goverment, so the paper signers are out there.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2007, 08:51 PM   #5
Mikey B
Frozen White Focus RS

PM Me and I'll tell you where to get it done!

I had no issues with the ST170 i'd bought in Melb and driven to QLD when getting the roadworthy! Tell you the truth...they didn't even lift the bonnet, best $55 i spent in 10 mins.
Mike
Mikey B is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2007, 05:39 PM   #6
whippet_zetec
Supes

agree sounds like K-Mart are taking it to the extreme, personally have never heard of the sump plug issue and cant recall Ford ever putting it down on the service record for my LR Zetec.

It is their licence for registrations that gets ripped up if something goes wrong but would think they are being a little pedantic.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:30 PM   #7
gregg_13
2016 PX2 Ranger XLT

they must have seen you coming, they are definitley takin you for a ride there, Never heard of most of that rubbish, My last car I sold beofre i left QLD all they did, start it, check seat belts and ask me if anything was wrong, one seatbelt was knackered, i told him i'd ordered one and he said good enough for him, Heres your roadworthy.
gregg_13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2007, 08:11 PM   #8
Coatsy
1976 F-100

mate - a bit of advice from a Brissy bloke - NEVER take your vehicle to KMart Auto - I've heard only bad things from them - even Today Tonight ran a story recently on them - ring around some of your local sole traders - they are always helpful, and in addition you're helping a small business! I've never had trouble with RWC, and most mechanics I know always take it easier when they know that you are keeping the car rather than selling it on
Coatsy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post