Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 18-03-2008, 10:21 PM   #1
shanmag
Starter Motor

Default Ex-demo focus - Extended Warranty?

I'm new here so first of all, HI!

I'm hoping to pick up an 2007 ex-demo model Ford Focus Zetec. I do plan to keep the car for probably about 5yrs so is the extended warranty worth it (in this case, to a total of 6yrs)?

I've skimmed the fault thread briefly and from what I read it's probably worth the extra cash if you plan on keeping the car for that long.

shanmag is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2008, 10:43 PM   #2
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

Hi,

Make sure you read the fine print, you may be paying extra for what may feel to be the right thing to do that may void coverage in certain aspects ie the extended warranty may only cover engine or driveline and nothing else.

The old lady picked up an ex-demo '04 Focus LX with the Comfort Pack a couple of years back and with the conditions stated in the extended warranty, it was not considered worthwhile purchasing.
Old 20-03-2008, 03:02 PM   #3
rocketxr

You could always wait until your existing warranty is almost up (I think you have to purchase before 90,000km) and then decide if you think you need the extended warranty.
We had the full Ford Factory Extended Warranty and it is the same as the Ford Factory Warranty - the only difference is that warranty repairs have to be pre-approved (usually takes 24 hours).
rocketxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2008, 08:23 AM   #4
scooby

That's interesting rocketxr, I didn't know you could do that. Do you have to get every service done by Ford in order for them to honour the warranty?
scooby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2008, 10:18 AM   #5
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Ford Aus do not offer any extended warrantee plans. What some Dealers are offering is the Ford 3 year warrantee plus a dealer arranged 'insurance' for the extra 3 years. Some dealers will offer their own coverage for an additional 3 years but there are many 'terms and conditions' that make those arrangements almost cost prohibitive. They insist that you return the vehicle to them exclusively for service. It’s all part of the sales pitch and it’s costed in. Not saying you have been mislead or ripped off but you do need to understand exactly what these extended warrantee plans are. They are an insurance policy, nothing more nothing less. The dealers put all sorts of conditions on them designed to ensure you keep coming back to them for their 'rip off' pricing on service work. These extended warrantee plans are fine if you are happy to pay Dealer price for all your service work, can ensure the selling dealer is the only one who will ever service the car and you plan on keeping the car for the 6 years.
paulie0735 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2008, 12:02 PM   #6
rocketxr

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulie0735
Ford Aus do not offer any extended warrantee plans. What some Dealers are offering is the Ford 3 year warrantee plus a dealer arranged 'insurance' for the extra 3 years. Some dealers will offer their own coverage for an additional 3 years but there are many 'terms and conditions' that make those arrangements almost cost prohibitive. They insist that you return the vehicle to them exclusively for service. It’s all part of the sales pitch and it’s costed in. Not saying you have been mislead or ripped off but you do need to understand exactly what these extended warrantee plans are. They are an insurance policy, nothing more nothing less. The dealers put all sorts of conditions on them designed to ensure you keep coming back to them for their 'rip off' pricing on service work. These extended warrantee plans are fine if you are happy to pay Dealer price for all your service work, can ensure the selling dealer is the only one who will ever service the car and you plan on keeping the car for the 6 years.
Well, I am sure that will be news to Ford.
The extended Factory Warranty was from Ford head office in a Ford Extended Factory Warranty Handbook (not from the dealer).
We have just sold our Territory and I was able to cancel the extended warranty by returning the booklet to ford head office and had a cheque from Ford for the remainder of the unused warranty.
rocketxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2008, 09:47 PM   #7
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketxr
Well, I am sure that will be news to Ford.
The extended Factory Warranty was from Ford head office in a Ford Extended Factory Warranty Handbook (not from the dealer).
We have just sold our Territory and I was able to cancel the extended warranty by returning the booklet to ford head office and had a cheque from Ford for the remainder of the unused warranty.
interesting to say the least. anybody else out there have this deal from ford aus?
Old 26-03-2008, 05:09 PM   #8
phoonfan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Been around for a while Paul!

Its Branded under "Ford Solutions" and is option for anyone to purchase up untill the orignal warranty expires or the car has travelled up to 90,000klm.

Its underwritten by CGU but mangaged by Ford and like what was said above fully refundable for the remaining portion should you wish to cancel it! Coverage can be extended for an additional 3 years and upto 160,000klm

Its coverage is exactly the same as the New car warranty,(pfffft i hear you say ) with the same conditions, so no service tie in's to dealers, the only difference is warranty work has to be pre-approved.

They have gotten a bit pricey over the last few years, however if your planning on keeping the car that long its not a bad option!
phoonfan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2008, 06:35 PM   #9
davocol
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We had it on an 02 laser and although we never had to use it, no actually we did once for a sensor of some description it was worth it if not for the resale on the car. It is much easier to sell the car with a warranty, you need to keep up servicing to the date or ks and you will be fine. Very much worth it in my opinion.
Old 26-03-2008, 09:57 PM   #10
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoonfan
Been around for a while Paul!

Its Branded under "Ford Solutions" and is option for anyone to purchase up untill the orignal warranty expires or the car has travelled up to 90,000klm.

Its underwritten by CGU but mangaged by Ford and like what was said above fully refundable for the remaining portion should you wish to cancel it! Coverage can be extended for an additional 3 years and upto 160,000klm

Its coverage is exactly the same as the New car warranty,(pfffft i hear you say ) with the same conditions, so no service tie in's to dealers, the only difference is warranty work has to be pre-approved.

They have gotten a bit pricey over the last few years, however if your planning on keeping the car that long its not a bad option!
Thanks for clearing that up for me Andrew, did I read "insurance policy"

Having purchased about 15 brand new cars in the last 30 years or so I have seen or been offered just about every conceivable variation of ‘extended warranty’ by all the major car manufacturers in this fine country or ours and in every case they have been in one form or another an "insurance policy" that you pay for over and above the standard manufactures warranty, that was the point I was trying (not very successfully) to make. This current one by Ford sounds like it’s a fair deal and probably worth considering.

Cheers
Old 27-03-2008, 12:20 AM   #11
zetec
Zoom Zoom

paul the Ford Solutions Extended New Vehicle Warranty is definitely an extension of the factory warranty and coverable by any Ford Dealer in Australia just like the statutory 3 year warranty on all new Fords. It's most definitely a Ford Motor Company endorsed Warranty, provided by Ford themselves and not by individual Dealers. Whilst some Ford Dealers might offer their own extended warranties that might be insurance style rather than true warranties, rest assured that Ford has a National official one available. If your Dealer isn't aware or not interested in participating, you can purchase the extension from any other Ford Dealer willing to assist during the first 90,000km.

phoonfan is spot on.