Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 28-01-2006, 02:18 PM   #1
Smudge
Starter Motor

Default Heat shield query

I checked through the threads and tried searching on this. . . so far no luck.

My water jets aren't working but pump water out all under the bonnet. I was told by my Ford dealer I need to remove the bonnet heat shield and probably plug the hose back in. No drama, do it myself

When I try to remove the protector the clips are really tight and look like they wouldn't come off or tearby unclipping it, it's really dry and crumbly...hard to answer but does that sound perished or will I likely damage the thing removing it etc?

Thanks,

Smudge

Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2006, 03:05 PM   #2
Baboon_AU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just rip the thing off any way, if u damage it, think of another may to reattach it, buy new clips

1981 XD Fairmont 351 - 351 Cleveland, ARP bolts, flat top pistons, Stage 3 Dynotec cam, ported 2V heads with 4V valves, Roller Rockers, Weiand manifold, Mighty Demon, 1/2" fuel lines with blue Holley fuel pump, Crane hi-6 ignition, B&M megashifter, C4, hi-stall, shift kit, 3.77 Ford 9" LSD.

Thanks to: EvilChief and SJW Performance
Baboon_AU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2006, 03:26 PM   #3
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

gently try prying the clip up enough to slide needle nose pliers under the head of the clip.. Then lever them out.. You might have to open the pliers alittle to increase the surface area abit to get a good purchase on the clip.. Don't pull them but lever against the heat sheild.. A tin of $2 matt black paint touches up the underbonnet protector if you scrap thru to the yellow underfelt. But before you stress about that unfold a paper clip and poke the actual jets out.. It is better if you have an offsider to activate the washers while you poke around to help blow the gunk out.. You'll find that polish, wax and oxidezed water can easily block the little jets, causing a backpressure that will pop the hose off.

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2006, 11:38 AM   #4
XR6Stu

Another way to go about it, use a fork, and try breaking one of the centre prongs of it, so there is a wider than usual gap ther e, and it act as a clip remover. Simply slide the fork in under the head of the clip, and lever it out, being careful not to damage the bonnet, or heat shield.
XR6Stu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2006, 11:49 AM   #5
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6Stu
Another way to go about it, use a fork, and try breaking one of the centre prongs of it, so there is a wider than usual gap ther e, and it act as a clip remover. Simply slide the fork in under the head of the clip, and lever it out, being careful not to damage the bonnet, or heat shield.
If you don't have a clip remover the fork or two screwdrivers are the best to use for clip removal
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2006, 06:26 PM   #6
XR6Stu

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickman
If you don't have a clip remover the fork or two screwdrivers are the best to use for clip removal
I have a clip remover, but I wasnt too sure how many other peole have them, unless they are in the trade as well.... Thats how we made one for one of our apprentice's.
XR6Stu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2006, 01:26 AM   #7
Smudge
Starter Motor

Thumbs up

Cheers guys I'll grab me an old fork and make myself a clip remover then have another crack at it!

While it's off, whats the best way to dress up the heat shield?
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post