Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 03-12-2005, 04:49 PM   #1
mattbl

Exclamation Cruise Control Not working

The cruise control is not working. I've haven't done anything different and it was working a couple of weeks ago when I used it last.
Ok so I've tested the brake switch and buttons on the steering wheel with a multi meter and they are ok.
The cruise control comes up on the dash but it won't set.
Are the units reliable? (the box under the bonnet)
Does anyone have any ideas of what else it could be?

Thanks

Matt

Old 03-12-2005, 04:59 PM   #2
LOWAU

You should check all of your globes such as brake lights as i have heard it can cause the cruise not to work.
LOWAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2005, 05:02 PM   #3
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

Yes, check the brake lights as I've had this problem a couple of times. If any of the twin-filament globes are blown, it'll disable the cruise control from engaging.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2005, 05:03 PM   #4
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauphin
Yes, check the brake lights as I've had this problem a couple of times. If any of the twin-filament globes are blown, it'll disable the cruise control from engaging.
I had a blown brakelight on mine for ages, never effected cruise. Weird.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2005, 05:07 PM   #5
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

It's a strange one this because I've had four dead tail lights from memory and only twice have they effected the cruise control. One of the incidents made the cruise sometimes work and sometimes not work, before it finally stopped a few days later and the bulb was to blame.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2005, 05:38 PM   #6
stiddy
Banned

my cruise control stopped working once.. looked under the bonnet at the cruise control cable, (runs along side the accelerator cable) and where it actually clips onto the throttle body butterfly thing, it managed to unclip itself.. cliped it back on and it was fine..
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2005, 05:55 PM   #7
mattbl

Nahh no good
The brake globes are ok I even disconnected them from the wiring harness and took it for a spin and no go.
Just had a quick look at removing the unit and doesn't look like a quick swap out. Looks as if the master cylinder needs to be removed????

Any more ideas??
Old 03-12-2005, 11:13 PM   #8
carratt
I Love My T3

I had this happen a few months ago. It was just a simple matter of popping open the fuse box and putting a new one in. If memory serves right it was fuse number 5 in the owners manual (a blue one).
carratt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2005, 11:21 PM   #9
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

I've got what sounds to be the exact same problem in my EL. I've looked at nearly everything bar swapping the actual cruise module and i still have nothing, it's driving me nuts. If you find a solution please let me know!
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2005, 11:27 PM   #10
mattbl

Has anyone had a control unit die?
I have been right through the car and the cruise still will not set.
So far checked:
Brake lights - Globes working
Brake light switch - Normally open, engage brake to close
Brake pressure switch - Normally closed, engage brake for switch to go open
Cable attached to the throttle body correctly
Just not quite sure about the resistance values on the steering wheel switches but they all show resitance (obviously different values for different functions).

More money for FTG Auto Salvage :
I wonder if they will take it back if the module isn't the problem?
Old 03-12-2005, 11:34 PM   #11
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbl
Has anyone had a control unit die?
I have been right through the car and the cruise still will not set.
So far checked:
Brake lights - Globes working
Brake light switch - Normally open, engage brake to close
Brake pressure switch - Normally closed, engage brake for switch to go open
Cable attached to the throttle body correctly
Just not quite sure about the resistance values on the steering wheel switches but they all show resitance (obviously different values for different functions).

More money for FTG Auto Salvage :
I wonder if they will take it back if the module isn't the problem?
Well at least now I know that i'm not the only one.
Old 03-12-2005, 11:44 PM   #12
mattbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by carratt
I had this happen a few months ago. It was just a simple matter of popping open the fuse box and putting a new one in. If memory serves right it was fuse number 5 in the owners manual (a blue one).
Thanks I wish it was that simple :
Old 04-12-2005, 12:25 AM   #13
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Can't help with a solution - only with diagnosis. I assume that when you turn the cruise on the indicator stalk, the "Cruise" indicator comes up on the dash. If so, When you press the Set+ or Set- button, does the word "Set" appear on the dash display (ie while you are holding the button/s). If it does, then I would say the problem is under the bonnet somewhere. If it doesn't, then the problem is on the buttons on the steering wheel, or it could be the clock spring in the steering wheel/column. The buttons use the clock spring , but the indicator stalk doesn't.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2005, 12:35 AM   #14
mattbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC-XRWgn
Can't help with a solution - only with diagnosis. I assume that when you turn the cruise on the indicator stalk, the "Cruise" indicator comes up on the dash. If so, When you press the Set+ or Set- button, does the word "Set" appear on the dash display (ie while you are holding the button/s). If it does, then I would say the problem is under the bonnet somewhere. If it doesn't, then the problem is on the buttons on the steering wheel, or it could be the clock spring in the steering wheel/column. The buttons use the clock spring , but the indicator stalk doesn't.
Yep the control module is not dead so to speak. When you turn the cruise on via the stalk it shows (cruise on) on the dash so there is life there.

At this stage I'm with you and I'm going for another set of switches as this would probably be the most logical cause and also the cheapest fix. I had the clock spring in mind however the horn works fine. Can't fault find using the stereo controls as they're not hooked up.

I'm going to by a set of switches on Monday, will keep you posted.

Cheers
Old 04-12-2005, 12:47 AM   #15
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

One other thing - you are testing this by taking the car for a drive, and you are engaging the cruise doing more than 40km/h? Just thought I'd better check!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2005, 12:51 AM   #16
mattbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC-XRWgn
One other thing - you are testing this by taking the car for a drive, and you are engaging the cruise doing more than 40km/h? Just thought I'd better check!
Yep
The neighbors must think I'm doing drug deals I've been in and out that many times today!!
Old 04-12-2005, 11:08 PM   #17
T2TL50
Proud Owner of a T 2TL50.

Have you checked the little fuse in the pannel under the bonnet.. it is a blue 15 amp one.. not the big square ones.. just a little one down in the point..

it controlls the horn.. but the fuse also controlls the box under the bonnet for the module..

i have had this happen to me with the ess not working either..

try that!!

The T2 TL50!! Maybe You Will Own One, One Day!!
T2TL50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2005, 09:38 AM   #18
mattbl

Yep fuses under the bonnet look good.
I've sent off a couple of emails to local places last night as I need a couple of other things as well. Hopefully get the switches today and we'll see what happens.

Cheers
Old 07-12-2005, 03:08 PM   #19
mattbl

Well I put the new set of switches in today and still no go. Cruise turns on but not setting. I'm going to buy the cruise control module next week providing they take it back if it still doesn't work after installation.

I'll keep you posted! :
Old 08-12-2005, 05:35 PM   #20
AnthonyQLD
Boss power

Quote:
Originally Posted by carratt
I was going to suggest a fuse!
AnthonyQLD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2005, 08:41 PM   #21
Lightning Strike GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had the same issue but it was the brake light globes it will work with one out but it will not work with them both out but judging by the previous posts you have already looked at this, apart from the brake light and clutch (if you have a manual) switch I am at a loss to what it is
I think the fuse does the radio or interior lights as well
Good luck - I hate electrical faults.........
And an 2019 MD Mondeo Trend Wagon in Platinum White
Lightning Strike GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2005, 08:58 PM   #22
mattbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU XR8
Good luck - I hate electrical faults.........
Thanks
I work on electrical / electronic appliances as a day job. This is what we call a 'bastard fault' in our industry!!

Sometimes you just have to walk away from it and re-visit later with a clear mind.
A mate of mine has an AU 1 tonner, he's bringing it over on the weekend and we'll swap parts over until we find it.

Cheers
Old 09-12-2005, 09:35 PM   #23
mattbl

:

Found the problem.
I did some net surfing last night and found the installation guide from Fordmods for the EF-EL cruise. It looked like the same set up so got to work on it today.
The webpage has a trouble shooting flow chart with voltage and resistance values. So I got down to the end of the flow chart and everything was good on the car and it was pointing to the module.

I removed the module and opened it up and one of the plastic gears has broken away so the cable just springs back when the stepper motor is engaged.
Isn't servicable so looks like another one from the wreckers.

More unplanned expense :

Last edited by mattbl; 09-12-2005 at 09:44 PM.
mattbl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2005, 09:05 PM   #24
GK
Walking with God

Well,

Although this thread is old, it's got me out of trouble with my cruise!

Had the cruise working 3 days ago, then it died. Checked fuses Christmas day, no go all were fine.

Read the thread today, checked the brake lights, both were blown but spoiler one ok.

Replaced the globes $2.50 and we're back in business!

Awesome!

GK
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2005, 10:03 PM   #25
Lightning Strike GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
Well,

Although this thread is old, it's got me out of trouble with my cruise!

Had the cruise working 3 days ago, then it died. Checked fuses Christmas day, no go all were fine.

Read the thread today, checked the brake lights, both were blown but spoiler one ok.

Replaced the globes $2.50 and we're back in business!

Awesome!

GK
Damn simple when you find out isn't it
The only reason I found out that it was the stop lights I was pulled over by a bike cop to tell me my stop lights apart from the rear wing were not working and then I lost it with the car saying one problem after another and he said the me that it was the stop lights putting the cruise out as it happend to their XR8 traffic/HWP cars now and then.Told me to get 2 new globes put them in and the problem would be fixed and have a nice day and he was correct.
And an 2019 MD Mondeo Trend Wagon in Platinum White
Lightning Strike GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2005, 12:18 AM   #26
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU XR8
Damn simple when you find out isn't it
The only reason I found out that it was the stop lights I was pulled over by a bike cop to tell me my stop lights apart from the rear wing were not working and then I lost it with the car saying one problem after another and he said the me that it was the stop lights putting the cruise out as it happend to their XR8 traffic/HWP cars now and then.Told me to get 2 new globes put them in and the problem would be fixed and have a nice day and he was correct.
Mate, fancy that, to be helped out by a copper like that!

Awesome.

Well, it got me back in business! Thanks for the original posts. Have a Happy and safe New Year!

GK
Old 28-12-2005, 04:10 PM   #27
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

well i've looked at all those things and mine is still not engaging. Any more ideas would be appreciated.
Old 29-12-2005, 12:15 PM   #28
mattbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEL
well i've looked at all those things and mine is still not engaging. Any more ideas would be appreciated.
I started another thread a couple of weeks ago for more help as I thought I had it fixed but the cruise control wasn't the problem.
Just to recap the cruise would turn on but not turn off, also the cruise would not set. The horn also would not work.
I must say without blowing my own trumpet that I've become an expert on AU cruise controls after 3 weekends on and off of looking!! and $250 in parts.

I went back to my mate's place today to measure some voltages under the steering column.

I found that the common/ ground (black wire) located in the 4 pin plug that connects to the clock spring was open. This is the ground return signal. If I bridged the ground from another ground source eveything would work fine. Where it was open, I couldn't find out until this morning.

The black wire in question runs from the clock spring to pin 6 on the cruise module. Every time I tested it with a multi meter there was continuity of the wire so this threw me off. The problem was the pins were not connecting when the plug was inserted into the cruise module and I was testing it by putting a paper clip into the plug socket which means it would always make contact that way but not when the plug was connected.

I guess the contacts in the plug have broken due to vibration as the cruise control went bad after driving down a corrugated dirt road. If anyone cares the horn doesn't work if the cruise control module plug is not connected as you need it connected to complete the circuit.

Anyway my fault fault finding was confirmed when I hooked up the multi meter to any number of pins on the the plug that connects to the cruise module and wiggling the plug showed an intermittant connection and unstable voltage.

The loom runs through the fire wall and doesn't look easy to replace so I may just buy another loom then cut and splice the replacement plug into the original loom.

So here are the most likely problems if your cruise control isn't working
1. Brake globes out /shorting
2. Brake switch faulty
3. Brake pressure switch
4. Switches on sterring wheel
5. Clock spring
6. Cruise module
7. Wiring / connectors

I'm off to put my car back together, I've got some work to do with all the wiring pulled apart under the steering column, fuse box out grill removed BEM removed, steering wheel off :

Last edited by mattbl; 29-12-2005 at 12:21 PM.
mattbl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2006, 09:35 AM   #29
mattbl

Finally fixed up the cruise yesterday. Found the problem a few weeks ago but got slack and just left it.
Given the wreckers wouldn't sell me a wiring harness without buying the entire cruise kit I was in no hurry to rush out and buy the wiring harness.

Purchased the wiring harness from Jefferson Ford. Thanks for the trade discount (15%). It must of been the squirming at $176 so I was feeling a bit happier at $148.
Took about 45 minutes to remove the old harness and fit the new one.
All good now

Any cruise questions fire them this way :
Old 28-01-2006, 10:18 AM   #30
GK
Walking with God

I'm glad you got to the bottom of it and got it sorted.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us, we are all better off for it. I personally benefitted from the thread you started, my problem was blown tail light globes.

I'm sorry your problem was much more serious. Hope it all goes well from here on in.

Cheers,

GK