Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-02-2009, 10:35 AM   #1
cobramania
FPV BFII GT Cobra No.249

Default What's happening to all the BP service stations?

Don't know if this is happening else where, but a lot of the BP servo's around Newcastle, Lake Macquarie have been closing down.

4 BP's have closed in the past 12 months (with the land being sold), & last week another one closed to be replaced by a Shell/Coles Express. In the past 2 years 1 new BP has opened (changed from Mobil), 1 BP has been half built for about 2 years now (building & signage, no pumps installed), but never opened.

We're down to about 10-12 scattered all over Newcastle, (some of those listed on the BP site locator no longer exist).

1 Mobil has closed in the last 3 years but a couple more have opened, Shell/Coles & Caltex/Woolworths are opening all over the place, a few independents have closed but quite a few more United servos have opened.

BP servos would now be in the minority of servos around Newcastle, if this slide continues the FPV may be going thirsty or I might have to bring in 20-50 litre drums of Ultimate from elsewhere for my own supply. :

cobramania is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2009, 11:06 AM   #2
Trendseeker

I haven't noticed that trend in Sydney. If anything, I would say there has been a slight increase over the past 5 years. I have a BP fuel card and take an interest in where they're located. New ones have been opened near the airport on Gen Holmes Drv and on King Georges Rd near Punchbowl Rd. Another one I go to often at the corner of Capt Cook Drv and Cawarra Rd Nth Caringbah has recently been rebuilt and expanded. I can think of one that closed a few years back on King Georges Rd near Sth Hurstville and another one at Kirrawee that changed to Caltex. But both of these were within one kilometre of another BP servo. I think they're probably doing a bit of consolidating in Newcastle so that they're not so close together. They'll never close the one on the highway; that's always busy when I stop off there.
Trendseeker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2009, 11:19 AM   #3
cobramania
FPV BFII GT Cobra No.249

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008WhiteSR
They'll never close the one on the highway; that's always busy when I stop off there.
Which one on the highway are you talking about?
Old 22-02-2009, 11:23 AM   #4
Trendseeker

Sorry, I mean the one that is just after the roundabout at the end of the F3. I know that isn't a short drive from Lake Macquarie.
Trendseeker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2009, 01:40 PM   #5
Sprint XR8

Most likely BP have recently done an enviromental audit of sites in the area. Any sites found to have major soil and groundwater contamination are usualy shut down.
The underground tanks and fuel lines in most old servos leak, its the main reason servos are shut down.
Sprint XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2009, 01:45 PM   #6
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

We got a new BP at North Wyong. There has always been a shortage of BP's around though i must admit. They were hard enough to find in Newcastle as it was.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2009, 02:53 PM   #7
cobramania
FPV BFII GT Cobra No.249

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupex
Most likely BP have recently done an environmental audit of sites in the area. Any sites found to have major soil and groundwater contamination are usually shut down.
The underground tanks and fuel lines in most old servos leak, its the main reason servos are shut down.
Possibly but 1 at least wasn't that old (10 years maybe), & 1 was at the New South Wales Distribution Terminal at Carrington (Newcastle), I don't see them closing the terminal because of ground contamination, in fact BP's just finishing installing a new pipeline from the terminal to the wharf, so they can bring more fuel in (via ships) from the Qld. refinery. The 1 that's changing from BP to Shell mustn't be leaking, because they're not digging up & changing the tanks, they're only changing the pumps & signage & refitting to look like a Coles express, again it wasn't that old either (maybe 10 years).
Old 22-02-2009, 04:08 PM   #8
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

There was a BP that got shut down on the Gold Coast near the Carrara Markets many years ago, but thats is about the extent of the damage here.
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2009, 01:29 AM   #9
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

most of the BP servos around central qld seem to have disappeared in the last 18 months or so.

a few i can think of just now:
BP miriam vale -changed to United, dropped 10c a litre the same day.
BP moura - changed to mobil
BP gladstone (one of two in town) closed down
BP biggeden burnt down , not rebuilt.

i was told by one servo owner that they had to change brands or go broke. they felt that BP were trying to drive away all the independant servo owners and the only BPs that will be around soon will be the company owned shops.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2009, 03:01 AM   #10
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

all the BP servos from beresfield to rutherford are still there

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post