Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Would you buy a rear wheel drive Mitsubishi 380?
Yes, I would buy one 40 32.79%
No, I dislike the vehicle style and/or Mitsubishi 31 25.41%
No, I am a FORD man/woman 31 25.41%
No, I prefer front wheel drive 0 0%
No, although I like the idea, my needs are different (ute etc) 20 16.39%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Old 22-02-2006, 06:52 PM   #1
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Hypothetical 380

The reason for this thread is ro detail comment on rear wheel drive vehicles in general and a hypothetical 380 in particular.

I personally do not like front wheel drive vehicles. They all torque steer and can do very strange things in low traction environments.
Because of this my choice of new vehicles has been limited for many years to Falcon or Commodore (and I have never owned a commie).
There are no medium sized alternatives such as an updated cortina or torana style vehicle.

If the 380 was rear wheel drive rather than front wheel drive and all other parameters remained the same i.e price, style, interior, drive train etc. would you concider buying one?

I would......

flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 06:56 PM   #2
Jeld-Wen Falcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No, the styling would also have to change a bit also.
Jeld-Wen Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 06:59 PM   #3
The Monty
Just slidin'

If I could afford it, Id test it, and I would take a step from there. In general, it would be more desirable to me as a rear wheel drive.
Old 22-02-2006, 07:03 PM   #4
Kenster

Acutally i just wounder if Mitsubishi fix up most of the problem with they cars at all that what i wounder about. Unsure how quality of the car is build as well and how it feel to drive the car

Should take one of the 380 for a test drive someday
Kenster is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 07:03 PM   #5
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

If they made it RWD, then I'd consider it.
Old 22-02-2006, 07:14 PM   #6
BlueRaven
Dual O2 sensors

As above, i'd consider it. It would have to be pretty good though.
Old 22-02-2006, 07:52 PM   #7
Paxton
Cobblers!

I regret not buying one. I have a Mazda6 for 2 years before I can get rid of it, so I hope MMAL is still around so I can replace the Mazda for a 380GT. I will do so if MMAL is still around, because we need a bigger car, and I would like another car that can tow my boat.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 07:59 PM   #8
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
I regret not buying one. I have a Mazda6 for 2 years before I can get rid of it, so I hope MMAL is still around so I can replace the Mazda for a 380GT. I will do so if MMAL is still around, because we need a bigger car, and I would like another car that can tow my boat.

Buy an XR6 with the luxury pack..

Tows boats, has the six speed auto and same controls as your Territory. Plus they are cheaper.
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 08:01 PM   #9
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The 380 chassis has the ability to take awd, hence, you could essentially sell on the market a rwd variant. How about selling front, rear and all wheel drive!
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 08:05 PM   #10
GTS_300_Coupe
Mandy Moore FTW!

When they do a Ralliart version of the 380 then I'll consider one.
At the moment, my favourite Mitsubishi aside the Evo's would have to be the '02 Ralliart Magna.
Simply stunning and performance crazy.
GTS_300_Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 08:13 PM   #11
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

I think the VRX/GT looks pretty good.

Would I buy one? It would depend on the others I guess. Commy is out so yeah if it was alot better than the equivalient falcon I have no reason not to.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 08:37 PM   #12
turboute
turboute

I will not consider one unless it was rear wheel drive (or 4WD)- I have owned a few front wheel drives and I am happy that I have changed to RWD now. I would consider the Magna 4WD a a future car however given they are rare and not many people know what the drivetrain can handle I am not sure if I would go through with it.
turboute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 09:03 PM   #13
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockWaveXR6na
Buy an XR6 with the luxury pack..

Tows boats, has the six speed auto and same controls as your Territory. Plus they are cheaper.
Why? I have had nothing but trouble with my Territory, yet the Magna my parents own has no problems at nearly 30,000 Kms. My Territory had been at Ford for a week (all up) getting the bugs ironed out. I also don't want something as big as a Falcon (I would rather something of a similar size to a Camry), so the 380 fits the bill. Oh, and its Australian, unlike the God awful Camry and Avalon thingy.
Old 22-02-2006, 09:03 PM   #14
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboute
not many people know what the drivetrain can handle I am not sure if I would go through with it.
Well the five speed auto is sitting on the Evo8 GTA in Japan and the AWD system is partially derived from the Evo (but not as advanced obviously) so there's some curry for you.
Old 22-02-2006, 09:50 PM   #15
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
Why? I have had nothing but trouble with my Territory, yet the Magna my parents own has no problems at nearly 30,000 Kms. My Territory had been at Ford for a week (all up) getting the bugs ironed out. I also don't want something as big as a Falcon (I would rather something of a similar size to a Camry), so the 380 fits the bill. Oh, and its Australian, unlike the God awful Camry and Avalon thingy.
Pfft, its a Galent with a new grill and some minor changes, I wouldnt call it that Australian and there are plenty of horror storys about Magnas to!

As for the size you probarly should get your measuring tape out and have a closer look. :
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 10:24 PM   #16
XAGSV8
Member 178

I wouldn't but I think it would sell a hell of a lot more if it were RWD. They also need to have a hero car and a car that stands out looks wise inside and out.

1963 Morris Mini

1999 NU Fairlane Ghia
XAGSV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 10:26 PM   #17
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockWaveXR6na
Pfft, its a Galent with a new grill and some minor changes, I wouldnt call it that Australian and there are plenty of horror storys about Magnas to!

As for the size you probarly should get your measuring tape out and have a closer look. :

Point taken. I would like to see what type of discount Ford offer on the BF when the Orion is released - right timeframe.
Old 22-02-2006, 10:37 PM   #18
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

They aren't a bad car, so rwd would be better.
Old 22-02-2006, 10:41 PM   #19
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

RWD and or AWD would sell much better IMO.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 10:54 PM   #20
XR666T

I myself work for Mitsubishi. It seems things are going along a bit better with the Limited Edition 380, seems to be creating a bit more interest.

Seeing them every day, I have come to like them. The GT and VRX in my opinion look good. But as other people have said, what they needed was RWD/AWD and a HERO car.

By hero car I mean something that can mix it with XR6/XR8 and S/SS. Something to get people 'excited' about the 380... something people will desire to own. Because when you think about it, where would Ford and Holden be without their performance models and their racing heritage?
XR666T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 11:50 PM   #21
XAGSV8
Member 178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline
By hero car I mean something that can mix it with XR6/XR8 and S/SS. Something to get people 'excited' about the 380... something people will desire to own. Because when you think about it, where would Ford and Holden be without their performance models and their racing heritage?
Correct, even if people can't afford the hero car they will buy the model below and to them it will be their hero car (if you get what I am saying).

1963 Morris Mini

1999 NU Fairlane Ghia
XAGSV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 11:53 PM   #22
Kenster

Quote:
I myself work for Mitsubishi. It seems things are going along a bit better with the Limited Edition 380, seems to be creating a bit more interest.

Seeing them every day, I have come to like them. The GT and VRX in my opinion look good. But as other people have said, what they needed was RWD/AWD and a HERO car.

Which Melbourne dealership you work for??
Old 22-02-2006, 11:57 PM   #23
XR666T

Knox...

Come and buy a 380 :voldar02:
XR666T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2006, 12:09 AM   #24
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The GT and VRX in my opinion look good. But as other people have said, what they needed was RWD/AWD and a HERO car.

Very valid point if your going for the "win on sunday, sell on monday" approach, but on the other hand, Mazda and Toyota don't have a hero car, nor a rwd car (bar lexus etc) and they sell well.
Old 23-02-2006, 12:30 AM   #25
Kenster

Quote:
Knox...

Come and buy a 380 :voldar02:
Cool i just study near you I was there one time looking at the colt with a friend
Old 23-02-2006, 12:39 AM   #26
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Why the hell are Mitsubishi (and Toyota for that matter) persisting with FWD in their large sedans? Will they ever learn?

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2006, 12:46 AM   #27
dandaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearman
Why the hell are Mitsubishi (and Toyota for that matter) persisting with FWD in their large sedans? Will they ever learn?
I don't think Toyota has anything to worry about seeing as they s**t over other local car makers in Quality and in Car Sales
dandaman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2006, 02:29 AM   #28
ondori
Addicted User

With all the technology from; TC Traction Control, ESP Stability Control, PS Power Steering, standard on most modern Automobiles these days most people cant tell if its front, rear or all wheel drive.
As for Torque Steer, of which is said to only affect cars with 210Nm of torque, so that removes all mid sized Automobiles and there smaller Siblings, but this figure was around in the early 90’s
I currently drive a front wheel drive with 320Nm torque with no sign of torque steer even in extreme condition, VVT also, so I get that Torque at 1500rpm

I believe rear-wheel drives will have there place in the Sporting Market, most people just not need or use there cars in a fashion that require it…

Here is a good test FWD vs. RWD Daytona’s
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/cvetters3/test1.htm

FWD's
Mitsubishi 380
175kW a@ 5250rpm 343Nm a@ 4000rpm Non VVT/VCT
Toyota Avalon USA model
197 kW @ 6200 rpm 336Nm. @ 4700 rpm Dual VVT-i V6
ondori is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2006, 10:56 AM   #29
Des
V8 Rock'n'Roll....

Location: You got me Rootin' like a Hog, Barkin' like a Dog, Climbing trees and Jumping logs....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
Very valid point if your going for the "win on sunday, sell on monday" approach, but on the other hand, Mazda and Toyota don't have a hero car, nor a rwd car (bar lexus etc) and they sell well.
Mazda has the RX-8 & MX-5, Toyota sells on the perception of quality. Ask anyone who buys a Toyota why and they'll give you this as one of the primary reasons, whether it's true or not.
As to MMAL, they definately need a 'Hero' car (other than a turbo 4x4 track weapon). Not everyone is into the minimalist Evo thing and want some 'everyday liveability' with their performance car. The 380 is held back by the fact you can't put the kind of power they need through the front wheels without sacrificing too much 'everyday liveability'.
Besides, name another market in the world that has the same easy availabilty of home-grown family sized performance sedans that, (Mitsu and Toyota especially), the market has to compete with?

208.8 rwkw stock, update soon

20x8.5 fr 20x10 rr
Rumble thanks to:
Sureflo Exhaust - Stainless Cat's & 3.5in single catback system

"Tell 'em the guy with the Blue Mohawk sent Ya"
Des is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2006, 11:20 AM   #30
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

AN AWD 380 would be a must test on anyones shopping list, They wouldnt win awards unless they were preetty good, but thinking about it, an AWD 380 would solve all of its problems, Torque steer and the absolute need for traction control (Should be standard on any 6cyl FWD)
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post