Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 21-06-2005, 10:53 PM   #1
b2tf
not here much anymore

Default Frustrating, annoying and costly

Well I'm in a situation at the moment where I in some ways expected to be in after buying the Focus, but Im hoping I can get out of it and learn a little along the way.

Put quite simply, I feel like Ive bought the bastard child of Ford Europe that has no place in Australia.

As Ive said numerous times before, there is a serious shortage of reliable, knowledgable performance houses in my area. Given that its a country area its no surprise - I always expected and assumed this would be the case.
But what is really NOT helpful is the sheer laziness and rudeness from performance houses in Sydney, Melbourne etc. Combine that with the fact that the Focus is not exactly high on the priority list for companies developing things like ECU Chips etc, and it makes for a very difficult route to get the car to the level I want it.

There is one company in particular I am trying to deal with atm, they're based in Sydney and I am finding it near impossible to get onto their sales rep. I call, I email, and I get no replies, no help, and when I finally do get onto him, Im told the website needs updating because some of the products on there are not currently for sale. : Get your act together!

All I want is a reliable person to deal with to get the car to the point where I am happy with it. I dont want a record breaking quarter mile monster, I just want the simple bolt ons like exhaust, chip, underdrives and a few other little things that are almost standard fare for Falcons etc. I know its hard given that the car is effectively an import and all, but really, there must be SOMEONE around who can help me out.
Old 21-06-2005, 10:55 PM   #2
347Stroker
Banned

I bet things will come alive next month with the inclusion of the Focus to the Australian Rally Championchip
347Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2005, 11:33 PM   #3
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

back2thefutura...

Do the sums on how many have been sold, then go do the sums on how many of those were company / fleet cars.. Then go do a survey on how many young people actually own a Focus, and how many of those actually want to mod it. There is just not enough demand for anyone to put any dollars into development for aftermarket bits, and even still I doubt your going to get the power your looking for out of the things you've spoken about above. The 1.8 Litre Focus im driving at the moment seems to revs its guts out *auto* and do nothing, I really cannot see what you could do to make it go better as it seems to me that its already pushing itself to get the power out.

My future predictions are that if the next Focus does alright saleswise then maybe someone like Herrods will bring a full list of go fast parts, but for them to be bothered doing it there has to be a market that they will make money out of.

Goodluck with it.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2005, 12:03 AM   #4
FNQracing
RAGE Engineering

I have to agree 100% with Shockwave. The Focus is not a popular car here, and mainly sold to female owners at that. There is basically no market for local aftermarket gofast bits. You could possibly source some kit from overseas, but really, why bother?
Old 22-06-2005, 12:06 AM   #5
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
Well I'm in a situation at the moment where I in some ways expected to be in after buying the Focus, but Im hoping I can get out of it and learn a little along the way.

Put quite simply, I feel like Ive bought the bastard child of Ford Europe that has no place in Australia.

As Ive said numerous times before, there is a serious shortage of reliable, knowledgable performance houses in my area. Given that its a country area its no surprise - I always expected and assumed this would be the case.
But what is really NOT helpful is the sheer laziness and rudeness from performance houses in Sydney, Melbourne etc. Combine that with the fact that the Focus is not exactly high on the priority list for companies developing things like ECU Chips etc, and it makes for a very difficult route to get the car to the level I want it.

There is one company in particular I am trying to deal with atm, they're based in Sydney and I am finding it near impossible to get onto their sales rep. I call, I email, and I get no replies, no help, and when I finally do get onto him, Im told the website needs updating because some of the products on there are not currently for sale. : Get your act together!

All I want is a reliable person to deal with to get the car to the point where I am happy with it. I dont want a record breaking quarter mile monster, I just want the simple bolt ons like exhaust, chip, underdrives and a few other little things that are almost standard fare for Falcons etc. I know its hard given that the car is effectively an import and all, but really, there must be SOMEONE around who can help me out.
The internet is a wonderful thing. Not just to have a moan! I looked on google, and searched for "performance focus" and got 51800000 odd sites in .028 seconds. While the Focus may be a little "Bowler Style" here, they are well toasted to the point of smoking, in Europe. And as stated above, when they join the Aussie Rally Scene, that should change. (not done much for the Corolla though??)

BTTF, Have a look, drop some emails, see what comes. I used to get parts like Mufflers etc for my Motocrossers from the US in 4 days! This I managed without a credit card or internet!!! And that is further than Europe. :yeees:
Don't give up on your car. It can be what you hope it to be, if you follow the right alleys. Research it through the internet at the sites, and ask if they have a local distributor, to help with transport and payments, or shell out with fantastic plastic.
Hope this helps,
Mike
Hope this helps.
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2005, 12:47 AM   #6
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
Stuff like exhaust, better brakes, ram pods and suspension should be a piece of cake to sort out. Any 4cyl joint should be able to tackle a turbo setup too.

I really can't see why it'd be hard to get bits ???

Have you tried these guys ?http://www.modernperformance.com/ford/onfocus.htm . There's stacks of stuff on the net....

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2005, 12:49 AM   #7
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Oh and if the 5cyl turbo Focus RS gets out here by end of year, beginning of next like I've heard, you may even have more local support.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2005, 12:55 AM   #8
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockWaveXR6na
back2thefutura...

Do the sums on how many have been sold, then go do the sums on how many of those were company / fleet cars.. Then go do a survey on how many young people actually own a Focus, and how many of those actually want to mod it. There is just not enough demand for anyone to put any dollars into development for aftermarket bits, and even still I doubt your going to get the power your looking for out of the things you've spoken about above. The 1.8 Litre Focus im driving at the moment seems to revs its guts out *auto* and do nothing, I really cannot see what you could do to make it go better as it seems to me that its already pushing itself to get the power out.

My future predictions are that if the next Focus does alright saleswise then maybe someone like Herrods will bring a full list of go fast parts, but for them to be bothered doing it there has to be a market that they will make money out of.

Goodluck with it.
Have to agree with this 100%
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2005, 01:11 AM   #9
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In the US they just bolt V8's in

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2005, 01:12 AM   #10
BA GT-HO
Bring back Ambrose!

FFS!!!!!

How many bloody times do I have to say this???

I will just make it clearer via a picture..

COSWORTH THE THING!!

Nuff said!! :sm_drool:
BA GT-HO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2005, 09:06 AM   #11
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFOracing
I have to agree 100% with Shockwave. The Focus is not a popular car here, and mainly sold to female owners at that. There is basically no market for local aftermarket gofast bits. You could possibly source some kit from overseas, but really, why bother?
I agree as well
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2005, 11:27 AM   #12
b2tf
not here much anymore

Well I predicted some of the replies, however I have a few things to say to all who are telling me 'just dont bother with it'.

If it were your car, would you bother with it? I think you would.

It's very easy to sit back and say "it's too hard, dont even try" - a very notable case of this comes to mind - Casper and his VCT engine, look at that car now and I bet you won't be saying "why bother?".
While my car is no XR6, it's still my car, I still love it and enjoy driving it, and I want to make it even better, Just like everybody else does with their car.

Im hoping to avoid having to import parts etc but I guess if it comes to that, it comes to that.

As for the comment about female owners, that is the biggest load of BS i have ever heard. What, you think just because its a smaller car no bloke is going to buy it? Wake up to yourself. Have a look at eurofordclub.com or their forums on this very site and see how many members on there are female. Just because I dont subscribe to the "my V8 is bigger than yours" theory (and if I did I would probably be howled down as another P plater with too much power), it doesnt mean I dont love my car, look after it, and enjoy it as much as you enjoy yours.
Old 22-06-2005, 11:37 AM   #13
347Stroker
Banned

Have a talk to someone at Ford and find out who is building the Focus for Michael Guest, and they could give you some ideas. I know is a gravel rally car, but the suspension in these things is a pretty good set up for the street, because they have to be reasonably soft to grip in the dirt, and all the rally cars I have driven on the street go bloody well.
As for getting some more power, I guess if you emailed the technical support staff from Ford Racing Performance Parts in the us, there is a link off the FRPP web site, and asked them what you wanted to achieve, you could be happy with the answers.
When they give you the list of parts, ring Mike Edwards at Raceparts, at Staypleton in Queensland, and he can have all of the parts for you in days.
Alternatively, Alan Sykes at Metro Ford parts distribution at Eagle Farm could also supply everything for you. Alan looks after the V8 circus, so has gear coming in all the time, and you have bought it through Ford themselves, so I would assume warranty would not be an issue, as per the SVO Falcons Sykesy used to put together.

Mate, I tip my hat to you for daring to be different, and building a Focus, a great looking car in my opinion.

Cheers mate,

Matt
Old 22-06-2005, 11:40 AM   #14
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Well I predicted some of the replies, however I have a few things to say to all who are telling me 'just dont bother with it'.

It's very easy to sit back and say "it's too hard, dont even try" - a very notable case of this comes to mind - Casper and his VCT engine, look at that car now and I bet you won't be saying "why bother?".
While my car is no XR6, it's still my car, I still love it and enjoy driving it, and I want to make it even better, Just like everybody else does with their car.

Im hoping to avoid having to import parts etc but I guess if it comes to that, it comes to that.

As for the comment about female owners, that is the biggest load of BS i have ever heard. What, you think just because its a smaller car no bloke is going to buy it? Wake up to yourself. Have a look at eurofordclub.com or their forums on this very site and see how many members on there are female. Just because I dont subscribe to the "my V8 is bigger than yours" theory (and if I did I would probably be howled down as another P plater with too much power), it doesnt mean I dont love my car, look after it, and enjoy it as much as you enjoy yours.
Nobody is saying don't try or shouldn't bother. Your vehicle selection is your choice and your choice alone. You have chosen something that will be more difficult to mod.

My only concern is the inference that there is some obligation by vendors to supply product to suit your needs. There isn't, and sadly if you want to go a bit further you will probably have to go the O/S import route.
If I choose a Ford prefect as my project car is there any obligation on vendors to tool up for my needs? The same situation applies for the Focus, Fiesta etc. I can appreciate your frustration, and thankfully, unlike other here you have been able to express it in a non abusive manner.

Wan't something cheap or easy to mod then sadly you have the wrong vehicle for this. Still love your Focus / Fiesta etc? Take on the challenge hunt around and build something different from the crowd, it can be done, but it wont be cheap or easy.
Old 22-06-2005, 11:42 AM   #15
b2tf
not here much anymore

Now there's a quality post - thanks for the info! Ive checked out FRPP before, but never actually contacted them. Im quite impressed with their Jackson Racing Supercharger kit, andit'd be great, but its a little more than Im willing to spend and I think I'm better off sticking to N/A atm.

Dont get me wrong, I know this is going to cost more than doing up your average Falcon, but there is a limit.

The aim now is to prove all the sceptics wrong, and get some power and drivability out of the little bugger.
Old 22-06-2005, 11:43 AM   #16
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
To be 100% honest - no.

I don't think its a "girls" car but by the same token I also don't beleive its a "performance" car either.

How much money do you want to waste modding it? if its all just bolt on mods (like you said) in the end its still not going to be as fast as a standard XT Falcon which is why i think people are saying "why bother". If you want a modded car then sell the focus (which is designed as a runabout) and buy a better base platform to start modding - nothing wrong with small cars but why not get into a clio sport or a 200sx or something.

When I was 17 (7 years ago) I had a corolla - I spent $4000 of my hardearned money (for a 17yo thats a lot) on stupid mods which did nothing and impressed nobody - with the hindsight i have now i deeply regret that huge waste of money : . In the end i sold it, went to auction and bought an AWD 2 turbo VR4 for about $6000 which i was very happy with until i got into the xr6's.

just my opinion/explanation, not flaming or attempting to offend you. :voldar02:
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2005, 11:48 AM   #17
347Stroker
Banned

I'd bet my balls on it that there would be double the amount of modded Focus' in the world as in comparison to Falcons....so as the saying goes...

"The world is your oyster"

Start researching and get a car that gives us Falcon owners a real fright....and possibly a reality check....
Old 22-06-2005, 11:52 AM   #18
b2tf
not here much anymore

RED_EL, you bring up some very good points.

At the end of the day I guess this is the dilemma faced by anyone who is contemplating mods, regardless of what vehicle they own/do it to. Granted that in my case its a bit harder due to choice of vehicle, but to be honest the abiliy to mod was not high on my list of points when shopping for the EF's replacement. I chose the Focus becuase for my needs and wants, it was the best available package for what I was willing to pay.

Dont get me wrong, I know not every car is able to be modded and I dont by any means expect they all should be, or that whatever car I buy in the future should have mods available just because it's mine. What frustrates me about this though is that if I were in the US I could have any choice of mods I like (effectively), yet over here I get people saying "You mean Falcon, right?" when I ask for parts for a Focus.

Yes I realise they're a relatively low volume import car into Oz, but that to me is another part of the attraction. I dont want just another Falcon, I could have easily gotten into a BA if I wanted to when it was buying time, but at the end of the day, it's just another Falcon, isnt it? Yes it may go fast, yes it may look good, but when there's another 100 of them in town, it loses it's appeal. I get looks in the Focus almost daily round here (and no thats not something I expect either, Im not that shallow), and I like that. I like that people think my car is something a bit different and out there, compared to all the P-Plater specials you see around here - if you come to the AFD in Wagga, you will see what I mean.

Again with the money wasting, Ive been there. The Focus is only my 2nd car and Im only 19, but with the EF i was all set to spend (and did), stupid amounts of money on it. In the end it was beginning to die a slow death and I realised how much I could have spent on a new bass or 3 (love my guitars). So it's something to remember, and I do remember it, but at the same time I dont feel there's anything wrong with spending just a little extra on top of purhcase price to make the car exactly how you want it.

The Focus wont cop thousands upon thousands on it, no way, but it will get what Im prepared to pay to make it how I want it to be.
Old 22-06-2005, 12:04 PM   #19
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

There is no right answer when it comes to mods. People can spends thousands with no ultimate finacial return, but if it them you joy and a sense of self satisfaction then thats fine.

I dont think there is one of us that doesn't mind admiring looks for our cars, and I have no problem in admitting thit it is one of many buying motives for me.

I can see your point with wanting something other than a Falcon, although it is possible to make any Falcon unique too. And thankfully since the BA the availability of off the shelf mods for Falcon has improved, it was pretty lean in the years before.

And you make another more valid point, for most of us mods are just one part of life, and just one place to spend your hard earned, family, home, hobbies all compete, and for most of us life has more dimensions than just our cars.

Hope you find some affordable mods to suit your tastes..
Old 22-06-2005, 01:00 PM   #20
XRated
Shoot.

I'm not sure how much you are trying to spend here, but couldn't you get a workshop to do a custom turbo? Custom manifold, smallish turbo, aftermarket computer, it's all pretty similar on most cars. Unless you have stated no forced induction somewhere that I didn't bother reading :P

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2005, 02:18 PM   #21
RATT

I think it's all about what pleases you b2tf. Keep on searching and also get in touch with one of the members "zetec" who I'm sure you already know. Good luck either way mate, and don't loose hope.

Also, like merin I spent upwards of $5000 on a Corolla which didn't do a great deal for it but I have no regrets because it made me feel good about the car, and that's what matters.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2005, 02:37 PM   #22
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RATT
I think it's all about what pleases you b2tf. Keep on searching and also get in touch with one of the members "zetec" who I'm sure you already know. Good luck either way mate, and don't loose hope.
Yeah Dean, I know Matt, have met him and he is a great guy. As I said before, hopefully in a few months Ill be able to get some good things happening to the car and begin proving a few people wrong.
Old 22-06-2005, 02:42 PM   #23
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Go for it B2TF. One thing I've learnt is that sometimes the majority of people telling you it cant be done simply do not know how to do it themselves and dont think you will either. Prove them wrong, take the Focus off the "orphan" list.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2005, 07:16 PM   #24
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Yeah Dean, I know Matt, have met him and he is a great guy. As I said before, hopefully in a few months Ill be able to get some good things happening to the car and begin proving a few people wrong.
This really has nothing to do with proving people wrong.. that is a silly way of looking at it.... All I was trying to say that for a company to be bothered putting big development costs into such a vehicle, there has to be a large demand. How many performance houses make components for Astras or Corollas? How many people go buy a Focus with future mods in mind? There are a few but I doubt there would be that many as a large percentage of them are purchased by Fleet companies or older people.

If I recall correctly you bought the car for its exceptional fuel economy and to save costs, now you wanna mod it and make it go quick.... I am a little confused but nothings impossible when it comes to cars, it all comes down to how much money you wanna spend.

Last edited by Smoke Pursuit; 22-06-2005 at 07:21 PM.
Old 22-06-2005, 07:17 PM   #25
FNQracing
RAGE Engineering

Quote:
I obviously offended you. I'm sorry, it was not my intention. I was simply making some frank observations on the market reality here in Oz. Yes, the Focus is predominantly purchased by females. Over in Europe is a completely different market - its dominated by smaller cars, mainly due to fuel prices and local conditions. Plenty of blokes buy small cars here, but they are usually the "hot" ones that have a great level of performance out of the box. The Focus is not one of them.

Now, you have chosen a car that is not popular with the hot-em-up crew. No one is saying it can't be done, but you wont be able to rock up to Repco and buy some goodies off the shelf. You'll need to find out what mods the Europeans are doing to them - based on the engine the same as yours, and finding out how well your particular engine responds to the mods you have mentioned. How much do you want to spend and more importantly, what level of performance are you actually chasing? You will probably have to import some of the bits yourself, or get a workshop to source them for you.

The local knowledgebase will work against you, simply as there is next to none - at the present time, as you have obviously already found out.

There are a small number of late model cars over here that are considered cult cars. These are the cars that are easily modded and backed up with local knowledge because of their popularity with young males.

You asked for opinions, and you got them. Some were not what you wanted to hear.

If it were my car, I personally would not bother, but then, if I had purchased a Focus, performance was not one of my requirements.
Old 22-06-2005, 07:22 PM   #26
FNQracing
RAGE Engineering

Quote:
Double post.
Old 22-06-2005, 07:25 PM   #27
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

I think I am fairly qualified to talk from experience here, as I have spent the last two years modifying my Ford Focus, have been in the game since the Focus was first brought to Australia, have moderated the Focus forum for the same amount of time, and have started and currently enjoy running www.eurofordclub.com.

Let me start by saying that yes, the Focus is new, the car is not a massive seller to people who enjoy doing up performance cars, and therefore the aftermarket has been limited in Australia to date.

However, there are some very important things I want to point out as well that you and others have mentioned.

One was that there "is a serious shortage of reliable, knowledgable performance houses in my area", that is not a Focus problem. The tuning house who made up my custom exhaust on my Focus had never done one before, the principles are the same and after a dyno run or two with a few test setups, they did a superb job on the car. The same would go if you had any other hot Euro hatch. You now drive an Imported German Car, buying off the shelf gear is either expensive or hard to find. Anyone with half an idea can still make you up a good system though, as proved by my car, and the price was less than my previous Falcons system.

Every single day, more and more stuff is available for the Focus. All the R+D on Focus parts has been done overseas, it's cheap as chips in Oz now. K+N filters for the Focus are cheaper than for the Falcon. Clear side indicators are four bucks each! Exhaust parts are generic, there are at least 6 different bodykits available for the Focus in Oz now, search Focus on ebay and there's always stuff there. Every single suspension company does stuff for the Focus.

I have found that if you want things, research what you want, ask those of us who have been there and done it all before, and then chase specific items. People like me first started out with nothing, we spent months browsing US forums, buying books on the performance build ups of the Focus, until we had an idea what we wanted. Now you have the added bonus of using that knowledge, with the added feature of researching stuff yourself.

Set a goal, do some research into the best way to achieve that goal, ask those of us who have done it all before questions, determine what you need, and then using our knowledge and searching, source the best parts.

The fact tuning shops in Sydney and Melbourne are not overly helpful to you does suck, I have no excuses for that, and I have had some problems in the past too. Those businesses will soon work it out when they don't get any more business, and more are always coming along.

You'll be right with things, but it is a German import, it's not as easy to get everything off the shelf like the dime-a-dozen (in numbers) Falcon like I used to have, but you'll have a far more unique item in the end.

No-one would deny my Focus is something more than an ordinary shopping trolley. I have had to work to get it there, I offer my experience to anyone else as always, and anytime you need a hand, you only have to ask.

My Focus mods:
Custom hybrid Infocus Motorsport / Ford bodykit
Ultra Jet Black Tail Lights
Starcorp Racing 17 inch rims
RS Clear Side Indicators
Racing Werks High Flow Induction Kit
Custom tuned exhaust
K+N Filter
Pedders lowered suspension
Debadged
Window tint
Custom plates
Custom short throw gearshift
Minor visual mods

Out of that list, the amount that I bought as off the shelf items were the K+N, the tail lights (see ebay, it's your friend), and the Ford parts of my bodykit (again, ebay is your friend), Pedders suspension (although spring rates chosen as desired), induction kit, tint was generic, rims you can get anywhere good, RS side indicators. So stuff is available, you just have to know where to find it.

As you know, anytime you need a hand with things, give me a yell.

Tim
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2005, 07:30 PM   #28
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Timmeh what sorta power is your Focus making compared to its stock dyno run, (assuming you did run it stock first). I think B2TF expectations are much to high as things like an ECU upgrede and underdrives probarly aren't going to happen for him. The Focus is a nice car but is there really that much power you can pull out of it by modding it, or is it limited?
Old 22-06-2005, 08:12 PM   #29
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Well my Focus would only be pulling an extra 12 to 15kws max (I did before and after dyno runs but not with my latest mod), which is noticeable but nothing to write home about. The Zetec engine has so much potential, in the states there are so many kits running the unopened engines to 8,500rpm, or on 15lbs boost, making onwards of 200hp so the engines are bulletproof. They are an engine designed for torque, but high horsepower figures are easily obtained (with the right money of course).

The Focus is so popular overseas (especially the states, but try this figure: in Europe, they sell 3 times as many Foci alone than Ford Oz does sell total sales for all models for the year) that engine parts are so easily obtainable, importing them from the US is often cheaper than the same locally made part for a Falcon, including postage.

At the end of the day, I decided my Focus was never going to be as fast as what I wanted (a 13 second Focus can be yours for an extra 9 grand but I want faster) so I bought an RS2000 to have as my fun car and keep my Focus mild.

I do think the hardest part of modding a Focus for a high performance buildup in Oz (and I don't mean a few bolt ons) is the tuning of a custom computer, I don't think they are worth it for minor mods as the standard computer has a range within it can change its parameters according to its airflow etc.

I hope that answers your questions somewhat!

Tim
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2005, 08:40 PM   #30
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes it does, thanks for your reply!