Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 23-05-2013, 12:58 PM   #241
GT-spec15

Default Re: Major Ford announcement

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz View Post
Mate I couldn't have put it better myself.... this is 100% spot on.
People's attitudes towards the local product and their insistence on purchasing imported vehicles sickens me to the core.
Australia has become nothing but a great big sell-out. Somebody build me a time machine so I can go back and live in the 1980's.
The Australian consumer is by and large, not stupid. When foreign vehicles that are superior in basically every regard are available at reasonable prices, why the hell would they purchase a Falcon?

I for one will not buy an inferior product simply to be "True Blue".

Game over.
Old 23-05-2013, 12:58 PM   #242
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Falcon will become a cult car now. Sad sad day.
Old 23-05-2013, 12:59 PM   #243
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I feel sick

I will keep mine forever

Old 23-05-2013, 01:01 PM   #244
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Reds View Post
This is probably a dumb question but is the Corolla made in Aus?.
No, Toyota are apparently close to deciding on a new locally built model though, but it is tipped to be the Rav4.
This user likes this post:
Old 23-05-2013, 01:03 PM   #245
anto
Za Dom spremni

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-spec15 View Post
The Australian consumer is by and large, not stupid. When foreign vehicles that are superior in basically every regard are available at reasonable prices, why the hell would they purchase a Falcon?

I for one will not buy an inferior product simply to be "True Blue".

Game over.
Clueless
AU III XR8 red ute
Old 23-05-2013, 01:03 PM   #246
dannyxm
was danny888

It does suck, having them shut up shop, very sobering to live in a world where there is not a new Falcon in the showroom at the local dealer.

But we need to face facts.

There are not enough people buying full sized cars now. Everyone looks to upper spec Japanese and Euro cars rather than lash out and get a Falcon. On the other end, people buy cheaper more economical cars in turn.

When I was young (im 33 now) there was always the saying if your car wasn't insured 'Arrgh! What if you hit a Merc?!'

Every second car now is a Merc, or an Audi, or some fancy Jap car with all the mod cons.

As an owner of an FG XR6 as well as having owned an XP, XW, XY, EB XR6, EFXR6, EF XR8, ED, DC LTD, Customline, ZL Fairlane, ZG Fairlane, XC Coupe, I love Falcons too, but we are the minority now.

My wife and I are Solicitors, we could get anything reasonable, but choose a Falcon, (and bought the bloody thing cash, living within our means) as always (im actually shedding a tear here). but.... We are the minority. Our families always bought Falcons. Its just what we do.

Yes, Ford could have exported it and the Terri, they could have advertised more, but hell, we all have computers, we all can talk, we can all do some research and think, hmmmm, I want a new car. I wonder what does Ford have to offer? Might do a google search. I might go to the dealer and have a word to the sales people there.

Buying a car is usually the second biggest investment apart from a home. Everyone can research and see what Ford has, (OR HAD) to offer. If you didn't, you would be a fool.

Sadly, the issue is also a lot of people live waaaaaaaaaaaaay above their means and finance hard on a car they cannot simply afford. When loaning so much money, why buy a Falcon? Its the world we live in where a 3 bedroom red brick home is not enough. We need 3 bathrooms, double garages, 5 bedrooms plus a study, media room, rumpus room etc etc. The humble Falcon never stood a chance.

Ford (and Holden) are building awesome cars where these is no market.

Australia has built some of the greatest cars on earth. We must be proud of that. We are a small nation where it is just not feasible anymore.

The FPVs are awesome, so too the HSVs, if they had Audi badges on them, everyone would buy them. But unfortunately, its the world we live in.

Holden will sadly follow suit, just take note that Ford were not cut throat, they told their workers that we will be outa here by 2016, giving more than enough notice, sadly, I am not sure where they can work, as we have become a nation that builds nothing.

Some of the workers will still have a gig. Hell, Ford may still be more viable in future being inundated with US Fords that may sell well. Building up more dealerships, more service depts, more workers in dealing with importing them etc. Sure, it pales by comparison to having workers on the floor building our Falcon, but its still a light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 23-05-2013, 01:04 PM   #247
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Reds View Post
This is probably a dumb question but is the Corolla made in Aus?.
No, so this crap about the Focus being built here saving the operations is also crap.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 23-05-2013, 01:05 PM   #248
HullKR
Starter Motor

I'm gutted.

Just got a call this morning that my new XR6 turbo ute will be ready to pick up on saturday. Sadly, it'll probably be the last Australian made car I buy.
Old 23-05-2013, 01:06 PM   #249
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Only thing that would have saved Ford Oz was to build the Ranger here, but that was killed due to the free trade agreement we have with Thailand.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
2 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2013, 01:06 PM   #250
Rodge
Banned

Me and wolfie will grow old and grey together along with the dogs and my wife. One of the reasons I've never modified my SC FPV is I knew this day would eventually come and I have always been conerned about maximising its longevity.

Last edited by Rodge; 23-05-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old 23-05-2013, 01:06 PM   #251
GT-spec15

Quote:
Originally Posted by anto View Post
Clueless
The Australian market is clueless is it?

All those tens of thousands of Liberty/Honda Accord/Mazda 3 buyers have somehow missed out by not buying a Falcon?

Please, tell us more.
Old 23-05-2013, 01:07 PM   #252
distortion

Yeah I won't buy Fords that are imported, as it does not help keep Australian jobs. Sure it'd help a few salesmen, but the flow on of money spent buying Australian made is far deeper than one salesman.

Can't believe I'm going to buy Holden or an Australian made Toyota.

I have no doubt this is Ford NA's fault - no advertising of Falcon, even with new engines etc. No one buys a product they don't know about.

Its also the FTA "lets let everyone export their cars to us at 0%, and be ok with them charging us 40% when we try to export from here".

Wonder if we'll get a Mustang here under 100k? It could be 10k and I wouldn't buy one.

My best guess, is that most Ford dealerships will close as people will think the same as I.

RIP Ford, it was good for a while there but you just gave up in the end. No excuses. (unless you want to spend a few dollars actually marketing your excuses, unlike the falcon).
Old 23-05-2013, 01:09 PM   #253
V8 Ghia Mike
Blue blooded Ford guy!

Sadly, there is a Hyundai ad on the top of this page as I read through this thread on my phone. Talk about rubbing salt into the wound....

I'm not in the position to buy a new Falcon, but have always been proud to drive the Ghia over the last 14 years. Today I'm even prouder to keep her on the road and love the thumbs up it gets from others of the Ford faithful. I was thinking of upgrading to a newer Falcon, but I think she'll stay for now. I would dearly love to buy a brand new one, but 50+k is sadly out of reach for most normal people these days. It's an economic reality.

NOW is the time for GTHO to appear.

Mike

94 EF Fairmont Ghia 5.0- XR8 in a tuxedo...
Bordeaux purple, Tickford kit, 2.5+ inch drop, EL Ghia chrome, leather, Pioneer sound, C&C, electric everything, 18" BA XR8's, ABS, LSD, GT40P's, Crane cam, ChipTorque ECU, XR8 snorkel, lots of woodgrain, chrome and interior lights.
3 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2013, 01:09 PM   #254
stazza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This sucks. Ive thought since I bought my GS that I want it to be the car I'll have forever. Much like my grandparents when they bought their XB new and still own it.

I can now hold on to my GS comfortably knowing its the last of them, and makes my decision to keep it and not sell it so much easier.
2011 SILHOUETTE FPV GS 315 #0275
20x10", 20x8.5" Lenso D1R's
Pedders XA Coilovers
Brembo 4/1
Pacemaker 1" 7/8 Headers
Twin 3" Stainless Manta Catback
XFT Built Motor
XFT Custom Surge Tank
XFT Stage 3 ZF
Final Drive Chromoly Tailshaft
KPM Twin Air Filter
KPM Stage 2 Intercooler
KPM Twin Throttle Body
2.6L Kenne Bell on E85
BlueStreak Circle D Converter
900+ rwhp thanks to Xtreme Ford Tuning
Old 23-05-2013, 01:10 PM   #255
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Ghia Mike View Post
Sadly, there is a Hyundai ad on the top of this page as I read through this thread on my phone. Talk about rubbing salt into the wound....

I'm not in the position to buy a new Falcon, but have always been proud to drive the Ghia over the last 14 years. Today I'm even prouder to keep her on the road and love the thumbs up it gets from others of the Ford faithful. I was thinking of upgrading to a newer Falcon, but I think she'll stay for now. I would dearly love to buy a brand new one, but 50+k is sadly out of reach for most normal people these days. It's an economic reality.
NOW is the time for GTHO to appear.

Mike
This....this country is in for a rough ride over the next few years.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 23-05-2013, 01:11 PM   #256
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Really does suck :(
Old 23-05-2013, 01:12 PM   #257
AU Mont
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonkymofo View Post
I feel sick

I will keep mine forever
Well your gonna have to................. models that arent made anymore die a quick horrible death on the used car market just like the 380 did.

Might be a good time to sell?
Old 23-05-2013, 01:12 PM   #258
THABOSS

A sad day for all of us, I will be keeping my F6 and will definitely be buying a new one come 2016. It may be too little too late but I'm not buying anything else!

What happens to V8SC after 2016? Find another manufacturer? It will never be the same without the Falcon.

Video of the XForce Exhaust
Old 23-05-2013, 01:12 PM   #259
GT-spec15

Quote:
Originally Posted by distortion View Post
I have no doubt this is Ford NA's fault - no advertising of Falcon, even with new engines etc. No one buys a product they don't know about.
Why would Ford have spent millions promoting the EcoBoost when this decision was already 90% made? It comes back to too little, too late.

The large Aussie sedan has been on the way out for years, Ford knows it, and as such, has seen little point in tipping millions into keeping it on life support.

When nobody wants the product on offer, no amount of advertising will turn the tide.

This decision will be fantastic for other products within Ford Australia's lineup, as marketing effort will be able to be directed towards product that actually sells. Even though there's no massive campaigns behind Falcon there are still many sales related expenses that will no longer be required.

Quote:
My best guess, is that most Ford dealerships will close as people will think the same as I.
Given Falcon represents such a small portion of Ford dealer sales, why will they suddenly fold when the car vanishes? Ford has fantastic product with Fiesta, Mondeo, Ranger etc...and the lineup is set to expand!
Old 23-05-2013, 01:13 PM   #260
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I will not be buying another new ford again....ever. They have lost me as a customer forever. I will move on to audi or BMW now.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
2 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2013, 01:14 PM   #261
Blem
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Now IS the time for a FGGTHO
Old 23-05-2013, 01:16 PM   #262
Dbleasdale
Fg xr622

All Australian ford plants to close 2016 :(
Old 23-05-2013, 01:16 PM   #263
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

I guess we can all say we saw it coming but that doesn’t change the fact the announcement and the reality comes as a real shock.

A very sad day indeed.
Old 23-05-2013, 01:17 PM   #264
GT-spec15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blem View Post
My understanding is that the GTHO name is now owned by a private individual or small company. As such, Ford cannot use it.
Old 23-05-2013, 01:17 PM   #265
Mighty Reds
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP owner View Post
I will not be buying another new ford again....ever. They have lost me as a customer forever. I will move on to audi or BMW now.
Mclaren just dropped their price, might be worth a look.
2 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2013, 01:17 PM   #266
AU Mont
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blem View Post
what the point?

so a few rich fatcats can snap them up and keep 'em locked in a garage like all the others do now?
Old 23-05-2013, 01:19 PM   #267
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Never thought I would live to see this day, but on the bright side,we will still be able to buy Fords in Aus even if not manufactured here. I will keep my GT and look forward to the Mustang and other vehicles when they arrive.

The saddest part of all this is not us , with our selfish intentions , but the fact that it will in effect hurt thosuands of people , especially in Geelong. They are the ones who it will impact most , and lets not forget that the other remaining manufacturers will suffer too. I wouldn't be surprised if we were import only by 2020 not matter what assurances GMH give the government.

So before bagging Ford for being so selfish as to say, you are not buying our cars in enough numbers so we can make a profit we will import only, just think about those people who may not have jobs when the dust settles.
I am at the end of my car buying lifetime , my GT will hopefully stay with me fora while yet, but the younger members of the forum will have a choice of new models and until they arrive let's not can the **** out of them or Ford for making a very very difficult decision, as none of us would work for less money. Think about it.
GT450
Old 23-05-2013, 01:19 PM   #268
GT-spec15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP owner View Post
This notion of 'punishing' Ford for the decision is misguided emotion.

Ford is a business, and as such when a business unit ceases to be profitable it gets chopped.

If Ford was to bring out an excellent Falcon replacement from USA or Europe and you refused to buy it on principle...that would be quite silly.
Old 23-05-2013, 01:20 PM   #269
redlaser
Starter Motor

The Falcon name will dissaper...There is a crisis in manufacturing and our governments have sat on their hands.. If government departments bought/leased locally made vehicles and the stupid luxury tax and the carbon tax removed as well as reduced tarrifs then Ford may well have continued...the 6 cylinder large sedan sales have slumped and Ford was slow to respond..profits are driven by sales and shareholders want a return....the small car is a world wide first choice for commuting in heavy traffic.. 6 out of the top ten sellers are small SUV's and 4 cyl sedans..success at Ford shud have had an Aussie at the helm , one who understood the Aussie driver not an outsider looking for the next plum overseas job and pushing the large 6 cyl so favoured by the USA.....there is no level playing field in manufacturing locally but the one billion dollars the government invested in Ford looks like a waste..that money shud have gone to development of a 4 cylinder car.
Old 23-05-2013, 01:21 PM   #270
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_gxl View Post
Old fords are still going, and the way I see it, the values of the last falcon won't drop as quick since you can't get a new one.
I will try save my pennies to get one of the last ones.
Mitsubishi 380 prices plummeted on the second hand market when MMAL pulled out. I suspect the same will happen with the falcon.

The most depressing part of the whole closedown will come when the auctioneers move in to sell whatever parts are left in the Ford Australia inventory.

I remember plenty of stories about the parts firesale that happened at Tonsley Park for Mitsubishi. Momo steering wheels for $60 anyone?
Closed Thread