Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-01-2014, 11:35 PM   #1
Nitroxr6ute
Starter Motor

Default Holden SS-V Redline Ute vs FPV GT 335

Hi,

I am considering buying either of the two listed above, the Redline will cost me $1620 per month based on an average interest rate of 7.5%, whilst the GT based on Ford's latest deal being 2.9% $1700 per month. Because the monthly payments between the two are quite close, this has made the decision process much harder.

The two deals I've been able to obtain are:

2014 Holden Commodore Redline Ute Auto
Red Hot
Walkinshaw 310 pack $3750 (cheaper then the $6000 that many other people have been quoted)
Window Tint
Slimline Hard Cover
$58k Driveaway

Pros:
Stagged tyre setup, 19"x8.5" alloy wheels, 245/40 R19 Tyres (2 Front). 19"x9" alloy wheels, 275/35 R19 (2 Rear).
Latest technology (Head up Display, Park's itself etc)
AFM (some say it's effective others not so much)
Newer Car

Cons:
Not a HSV
Less power than the GT
Less resale value in the future compared to the GT?

2013 FPV GT Auto
120k's on the clock
Swift
Leather Trim and Sat Nav
Fusion Paint and Interior Protection (already were applied to the car)
Window Tint
65k Driveaway with Ford's latest interest deal at 2.9% on 2013 plated fpv's.

Pros:
The iconic GT nameplate
The 5.0 lite supercharged motor
Last GT model
Better resale value than the Redline in the future?

Cons:
6 year dated chassis with minimal changes
Interior is dated
Lacking in latest technology

What would you choose? The Sedan vs Ute argument in regards to seating capacity is irrelevant to me as I was after a Ute initially but Ford's 2.9% finance is quite appealing. I had owned an FG XR6 ute over a year back and whilst it was good, I want to get away from the rear leaf suspension setup.

Thanks.

Nitroxr6ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2014, 11:57 PM   #2
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 
Default Re: Holden SS-V Redline Ute vs FPV GT 335

Have a read of all the guys on ls1 forms banging on about computer issues and seat warmer problems. Worth a read.

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-01-2014, 11:57 PM   #3
jimmyxr6t04
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

GT... The SSV redline is awsome, no doubt... But the SC 5.0 is an awesome bit of kit. I thought i'd regret it because of the lack of tech etc, but i just love driving it.

Have you driven both?
jimmyxr6t04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-01-2014, 11:59 PM   #4
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

To me that's a no brainer. GT all day everyday.

I'm assuming the 120km on the clock is 120 not 12,000 or 120,000.

The VF is a facelifted VE so it's also a 5+ year old chassis.

Not sure what technology your looking for that's not in a GT with Nav?
Regardless gadget wear off quickly, Whereas owning a proper Aussie icon muscle car will not. And you can be sure they won't be making them like that ever again.
Old 14-01-2014, 12:39 AM   #5
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Can never wipe the smile, having that engine, off your face ...... as Elks has said ..... lights and buttons wear off quickly.

For one though ..... 1 is a ute ... the other a sedan? Chalk and cheese. Its just going to be what is more important to you. After having a 335GT for 40,000k's, I know what I would buy hands down. Interior is not as bad as people write up about. Easy to use and everything you need is at your finger tips. I do not find it bad at all. Yes, compared to a brand new model just out ..... yes it lacks the finesse but really ..... I still like if very much.

As said, its whats important to you. Making a Pros and Cons list is a good start but you need to make a 'most important' list.

FPV resale is very good ...... have been looking for a B series F6! Not many around and still demanding big money.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2014, 01:12 AM   #6
Windsor220
Now Fordless

AFM is unreliable. The lifters die early.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2014, 01:31 AM   #7
Nitroxr6ute
Starter Motor

Yeah, I was initially after a Ute until I noticed Ford's 2.9% offering on the FPV range, which has put me in two minds. The way I look at it is the GT has a overpowering engine with a mismatched stock suspension not able to contain it very well. The Redline on the other hand has the opposite with less power but better stock suspension to contain and put down the power. Aftermarket suspension for the GT is a simple solution, but it's a shame the RSPEC specifications never became standard on the GT, but stock vs stock 65k vs 58k what would be the better package? What type of money do you think I would be looking at for a suspension upgrade on the GT?
Nitroxr6ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2014, 01:39 AM   #8
Parfrey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The SSV will fly under the radar and look like any other commodore out there... the GT on the other hand is something special!
Also even tho the GT is more expensive you will be ahead with that finance rate without even thinking about resale.. (which should also be good when they stop making the GT).
2 users like this post:
Old 14-01-2014, 01:56 AM   #9
jimmyxr6t04
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Shockworks coilovers are about $2000 and should be all you need for suspension on the GT. In all honesty, for the street, i find the standard GT set up fine. I'll go coilovers down the track.

The GT will be the rarer of the two cars. I see a multitude of VF series cars every day, but i rarely see another GT 335.

Nearly 2 years ago i bought a caprice instead of a GT 335, because i thought it was the better 'package'... it was packed with a lot more features and tech. But it lacked the main ingredient, 'that' engine! Mind you, i got the caprice for low 50s, so that helped the decision... part of me is glad i waited, as i ended up getting my brand new GT at a great rate and i appreciate it even more now.

Basically the whole time i had the caprice, i wished i had the GT.

Depends what you really want and like... for maybe 10k, you could fit a SC to the redline, it would be a really great car then! On the other hand, i think the VF will be all too common and just like the 'other' VF cars.
jimmyxr6t04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2014, 02:25 AM   #10
zilo
BANNED

The GT for sure...as others say, the SS will be just another commodore on the road.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2014, 02:36 AM   #11
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Forget about the Redline. This is the last time you will ever be able to buy a new GT. I think if you looked back in 20 years time, you'd kick yourself knowing you passed up getting the final Australian GT for a relatively run of the mill Holden ute because it was a technically better package. I'd get the GT, put some Shockworks coilovers on it and keep it for a very long time. I don't generally buy into the whole "cars are special" bit, but these last GTs are very special cars.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2014, 05:41 AM   #12
1TUFFUTE
Banned

I'll put my hand up as extremely biased...but putting that aside as much as Possible.....the GT is a no brainier.
Your talking about a Holden commadore or a
FORD GT SC 335
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-01-2014, 06:37 AM   #13
Uncle Niceguy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What about a FPV GS Ute yes it aint no GT but ford won't be making a V8 ute after this year and could see them being a bit more collectable in the future and they can be had for similar price to the SSV?
Uncle Niceguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2014, 08:27 AM   #14
JutroXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

GT.

If you spent $3750 on GT mods you'd have 400kW at the rears...

FGX XR8, Auto, Black.

WG Fiesta ST Manual, Black.
JutroXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2014, 08:37 AM   #15
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My father bought a brand new Falcon 500 station wagon in 1971 (old stock, with no factory heater) when he could have bought a Falcon GT for a "little bit more". We, (the children) and benefactors of the family retirement trust fund have suffered ever since. In all seriousness I don't think it's a contest and the GT will hold far better resale. The ONLY benefit of the SSV ute is you cannot be called up to drive your friends around compared to a 5 seater sedan....take the GT.
Dr Smith is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2014, 09:02 AM   #16
GQ_Smooth
Long live the inline 6

GT, GT, GT, GT.

This is arguably the easiest question asked on the forum. The SSV Redline in an excellent package, great handling, smooth power delivery, lots of features and looks inoffensive.

The GT is a family car with a super car engine and will go down in History as the best Australian developed/enhanced V8 of all time. As others have mentioned, if you get the SSV you will hear/see at GT drive past and probably think "did I make the right decision, not getting the GT?" If you get a GT and a SSV drive past, you'll probably be thinking, I bet his fuel bill is lower then mine" then stamp the throttle and have an uncontrollable smile on your face, like a fat kid in a candy store.

It really is a no brainer.

Hers
BFII Ghia
GQ_Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 14-01-2014, 09:40 AM   #17
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It seems like a no-brainer, but largely because you'd be over-paying on the SSV redline. They are being sold for a lot less than what you've been quoted. I'd shop around some more before making a decision.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2014, 09:52 AM   #18
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Brooksy View Post
Have a read of all the guys on ls1 forms banging on about computer issues and seat warmer problems. Worth a read.
Banging on? I have a Redline. The air is fixed on its first 3000k inspection and the drivers seat is just fine. There have been a few issues with what you mention, but we aren't yet at BA or Territory levels of issues yet - in fact a long, long way from it, so lets not get carried away.

The biggest challenge for Nitro in what he is deciding, is that the Redlines have little to no discounts at the moment because they are selling every one of them they make.

In a perfect world I'd have a redline with the GT engine and auto transmission. I love the supercharged engine and its the best sounding V8 thats been sold in this country, in my opinion.

The Holden has all the high tech and handles incredibly well. Its a couple of levels above anything to carry a Holden badge before and as far as features and choice of materials go it would fit in the Ford lineup above the GT-P.

Resale on both will be terrible. The market doesn't want these cars any more outside of enthusiasts and thats just the way it is, so if resale is an issue, frankly don't buy either of them.

The sweetspot on the Holden side price wise, is the entry level SS. Its not a popular car in VF, so some wheeling and dealing should be possible. On the Ford side you have the XR8 out end of year and that is bound to be a FG GT without the body kit or price. Any orphan GS's left around should be very cheap at that point and the second hand prices of GS will also drop.

Personally if you can wait a year until XR8 gets here, I think you will be better off. Redline will probably get the LS3 in its final 2015 update and the last XR8's should help push down GT and GS prices a bit on the second hand market. The last XR8 itself might also be a good deal too.

For me the decider was comparing the two local dealers for Holden and Ford. The Ford dealer is worse and Ford haven't fixed their customer care, so went with the Holden.

Last edited by DanielXR8; 14-01-2014 at 10:18 AM.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 14-01-2014, 10:19 AM   #19
Rodge
Banned

I'll be honest enough to say I think the Redline is a very good bit of kit and there are very good reasons they're selling extremly well BUT the SC 335 engine is such a belter it'll be enjoyed time and time again long after the initial novelty of the Redline's extra tech has worn off. Stock FPV suspension is a fine ride / handling compromise for everyday use.
Chassis struggles a bit with ther power of the 335 engine but perhaps that's part of the cars charm...

Test drive them both properly, one will "talk" to you louder than the other.

Last edited by Rodge; 14-01-2014 at 10:27 AM.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 14-01-2014, 10:51 AM   #20
82XD393.3v
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

gt because its a gt

FG F6 Manual 366RWKW tuned by BLUE POWER

82XD393.3v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2014, 10:52 AM   #21
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8 View Post

For me the decider was comparing the two local dealers for Holden and Ford. The Ford dealer is worse and Ford haven't fixed their customer care, so went with the Holden.
Could never understand this 'not buying a particular car because of the dealer' thing. You are't taking home the dealer? You don't have to like them? They give you a car, you take the car. If that is the car you want, why not buy it? Only have to deal with a dealer for a very short time. Would hate to compromise on a car because you didn't like the dealer. Having Fords for 30 years, I think I have been to a dealer a dozen or so times in this period. I have changed dealer because of nuffy syndrome from them or price but never have altered my mind in what I want to buy!

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 14-01-2014, 11:05 AM   #22
usernametaken
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You'll need to get a trailer if you get the GT, LOL

;-)
usernametaken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2014, 11:47 AM   #23
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Sorry mate to put a damper in your thread but I wouldn't be caught dead paying that per month for a car ever again. Simply not worth it. Might be worth walking away or finding something cheaper.

If it MUST be one of those two GT for sure.
Old 14-01-2014, 12:07 PM   #24
40RDT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have you considered the F6 or strictly looking for a V8 only? 55k driveaway for a new F6 is very good value
5 users like this post:
Old 14-01-2014, 12:17 PM   #25
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40RDT View Post
Have you considered the F6 or strictly looking for a V8 only? 55k driveaway for a new F6 is very good value
I agree and think when you factor in the 2.9% finance deal that's a truly exceptional deal. I agree with the poster immediatly above you too and I wouldn't ever lock myself into monthly payments like that again.

If you're forced to finance a large part of the purchase price the F6 makes an even more compelling case for itself IMO.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2014, 12:25 PM   #26
Golioth
Cruzin in FNQ

I am biased.....but go the GT all the way!

As far as suspension goes unless you are planning on doing some track work it may not be necessary to upgrade. The Rspec suspension package is great BUT it is a hard ride and you get to feel a whole lot of the road BUT as Auslandau says, press the button & get a smile knowing the power that is waiting for you under your foot.....you forget about a few bumps quickly!!
Golioth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2014, 12:38 PM   #27
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Test drive them and see what most puts the smile your face, what means a lot one will be different to someone else, buying and having regrets later sucks.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2014, 01:49 PM   #28
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 

If I could live with a ute I'd get the redline without the (IMHO) overpriced walkinshaw stuff, personally.
Alan D Segal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2014, 01:59 PM   #29
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

$400 a week on car repayments??!!

Keep saving, buy one of the last ones in a few years.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2014, 02:20 PM   #30
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 

Well I'm assuming OP isn't an idiot and can afford the repayments on either car. You can get a Clubsport sedan for about $65k drive-away. Would that address some of the problems with the SSV ute (not hsv, for example)? Plus, they have drive-away deals on 2013 stock at the moment apparently. Might give you some floor mats or something. Then you're also comparing a sedan to a sedan up against the GT - I know that's not a big selling point, for you though.

Maybe even a Maloo might float your boat? I think that'd be a good option too.

Last edited by Alan D Segal; 14-01-2014 at 02:27 PM.
Alan D Segal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post