Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-04-2008, 11:23 PM   #1
GTP290

Default New Holden adds-sign of desperation?

Just wondering what everyone is thinking of the new Holden adds, especially the ones of the Commodores? They are getting a thrashing, infact as I type this the Holden ute add came on the box!

I know Holden have a far superior marketing team to anyone else, and now its well documented the Commodore is playing second fiddle to the FG falcon by all reviews is this a sign of desperation, especially as they are rellying on "emotional" selling tactics which the masses seem to be drawn to.

Old 29-04-2008, 11:27 PM   #2
Scott

Holdens go better. Great slogan.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2008, 11:29 PM   #3
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The adds dont do much for me, too much of that dreamy feeling and the crap banjo tunes dont help too much. To say "go better" is a bit of a joke, ok the cars might be half decent but they arent the best thing since sliced bread
ea90gl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2008, 11:35 PM   #4
MOTIV8
Just cruizin' around.....

They are only upping the ante in anticipation of the FG going on sale within the next two weeks....... although one does wonder what type of advertising campaign FORD will engage when they actually go on sale and would be looking forward to at least one from FPV as well!!!!!

Guess we willl just have to wait and see
MOTIV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2008, 11:38 PM   #5
Wally
XP Coupe

Are you kidding? What is an FG and why would Holden be worried about a new Falcon? Magazine reviews don't buy cars, people do and the majority of those refer to TV ads.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2008, 11:44 PM   #6
GTP290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
Are you kidding? What is an FG and why would Holden be worried about a new Falcon? Magazine reviews don't buy cars, people do and the majority of those refer to TV ads.
Well they would be worried, because Ford have a superior product its cheaper, handles better, has a better gearbox, more powerfull and more economical and safer, no reasons to worry :
Old 29-04-2008, 11:46 PM   #7
Wally
XP Coupe

How do you know this? Have you had a VE to drive around in for a week or so? Have you simiiarly had an FG to test drive?
Old 29-04-2008, 11:46 PM   #8
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtp 2003
Well they would be worried, because Ford have a superior product its cheaper, handles better, has a better gearbox, more powerfull and more economical and safer, no reasons to worry :
Hasn't worried them for years.

The Carolla has had far superior competitors for years to - does Toyota look worried?

Until Ford develop a marketing department, they can't expect the FG to outsell the VE, no matter how superior it is.
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2008, 11:48 PM   #9
rodderz

I think the ad is a near perfect example of what Ford should be doing

The ad covers the whole model range, and gives a look of a bit of everything and ties the range together as a brand. Nevermind which is the better car, they have advertised a heap of models in one ad and people see it

Some ads end up trying to be too fancy and airy fairy with insane close ups and you forget what the hell they are supposed to be advertising
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2008, 11:52 PM   #10
GTP290

Quote:
How do you know this? Have you had a VE to drive around in for a week or so? Have you simiiarly had an FG to test drive?
I read the reviews, at drive.com, and yes I have driven a VE commodore.
Old 29-04-2008, 11:55 PM   #11
Wally
XP Coupe

Yeah sure you have and before you hopped in you were determined to be annoyed with it.

Deadman couldn't have put it more succinctly.
Old 29-04-2008, 11:57 PM   #12
GTP290

Quote:
Yeah sure you have and before you hopped in you were determined to be annoyed with it.

no not at all, i didnt even bag it, so how could you make that claim?
Old 29-04-2008, 11:58 PM   #13
Wally
XP Coupe

I read your first post.
Old 30-04-2008, 12:01 AM   #14
GTP290

[QUOTE=Wally]I read your first post.[/QUOT
I never bagged it in my first post
Old 30-04-2008, 12:02 AM   #15
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Holden are telling the sheep what they want to hear...simple as that
DoreSlamR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2008, 12:03 AM   #16
Wally
XP Coupe

[QUOTE=gtp 2003]
Quote:
I read your first post.[/QUOT
I never bagged it in my first post
You're right there wasn't anything derogatory about Holden at all.
Old 30-04-2008, 12:03 AM   #17
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Excellent ads. Most of their products are dodgy imports, yet they give you a warm, fuzzy feeling about 'their family' of cars. Well done whoever makes the ads. Theres no desperation there, just a well timed marketing campaign. Holden are king of spoiling their competitors parties.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2008, 12:13 AM   #18
GTP290

I never bagged the car, just stated what i read in a review, time will tell if the FG will make an impact and ofcourse I hope it does, as Holden fans hope it will be a flop. Signs are looking good so far and Holden are playing a lot of new adds, so there is a feeling of anxiety in the red camp no doubt.
Old 30-04-2008, 12:15 AM   #19
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It may be a better drive to the Commodore, but how does this apply if the public are not going to buy it?
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2008, 12:16 AM   #20
dom_105
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTIV8
They are only upping the ante in anticipation of the FG going on sale within the next two weeks....... although one does wonder what type of advertising campaign FORD will engage when they actually go on sale and would be looking forward to at least one from FPV as well!!!!!

Guess we willl just have to wait and see

Ford go Better-er
dom_105 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2008, 12:18 AM   #21
mikestp
EF Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadman
Hasn't worried them for years.

The Carolla has had far superior competitors for years to - does Toyota look worried?

Until Ford develop a marketing department, they can't expect the FG to outsell the VE, no matter how superior it is.
but corollas are completely indestrucable/bullet proof/female proof whatever
there aint a small car that will top a corolla for that.
if the diff was at the right end id get one
mikestp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2008, 12:19 AM   #22
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

what a load of male bovine excrement he stated the ford product was superior . this is a fact the holden doesn't even have a tiptronic transmission ( at least the rental car i was in this week didn't) if you love the VE so much i'm sure there are plenty of crummydore forums that would welcome you.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2008, 12:19 AM   #23
GTP290

well if no one buys it you cant say its not through a lack of trying thats for sure
Old 30-04-2008, 12:35 AM   #24
mikestp
EF Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
what a load of male bovine excrement he stated the ford product was superior . this is a fact the holden doesn't even have a tiptronic transmission ( at least the rental car i was in this week didn't) if you love the VE so much i'm sure there are plenty of crummydore forums that would welcome you.
well said
mikestp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2008, 12:50 AM   #25
honer
Back to N/A land

"Holdens go Better" reminds me of something some punk kid in a VS Ecotech with a clubsport kit would say to a passing XR8
honer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2008, 12:54 AM   #26
asusdragon
BA Falcon XT

the other problem i really got agianst Holden adverts at the monent is they are going very american, ie instead of selling there product they pretty much make and ad bagging out the territories, coz it doesnt have a diesel option yet. sell your product all you like just dont make ads crapping on bout how crap a different product is

and i also want to know with holden ute ad "evolution ends here" are they not making any more utes now??? maybe not the best slogan ever i think.

Quote:
If you can't fix it with a hammer. you're got an electrical problem
Quote:
You only need two tools in life - WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40, If it shouldnt move and does, use the duct tape
asusdragon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2008, 01:46 AM   #27
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by asusdragon
the other problem i really got agianst Holden adverts at the monent is they are going very american, ie instead of selling there product they pretty much make and ad bagging out the territories, coz it doesnt have a diesel option yet. sell your product all you like just dont make ads crapping on bout how crap a different product is
Those Captiva advertisements irritate me as well, particularly because I'm a Territory owner myself and don't like the idea of Holden comparing it to a Korean imported Daewoo. It is, however, a smart move on Holden's part and seems to be working. Last time I checked, the Captiva wasn't terribly far behind the Territory in sales, selling around 900+ per month if my memory serves me correctly. I've also seen a fair few about on the roads.

In regards to Holden's latest and greatest campaign, I'm impressed. The ad was put together well, and the timing (a couple of weeks out from FG's release) is impeccable. Is it desperation? I don't think so. Holden are just going about their business in a competitive market.

I'm hoping that Ford has managed to put together a campaign that can match the FG for excellence.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2008, 05:45 AM   #28
broken_suave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've noticed Ford have a half decent 'mid year sale' add on TV at the moment. Best I've seen in a while. Wont win any movie awards, but it shows the entire range, except for the Falcon, and explains their features and shows the price. Theres a few different variants of the add, each showing different models.

With any luck this will be the start of a more agressive and prevelant advertising campain on behalf of Ford. Bill Osbourne's influence perhaps? With any luck they'll make a decent go with advertising when the Falcon is released.

In my view they should have started their campain a month before the release.

Start out with an add no longer than 5 seconds long. A black metal textured screen with the Ford badge up the top of the screen, with the words 'New Falcon is Comming' underneath, with like an atmospheric track in the background, then a white flash going to the next add.

Progressively roll the length of the add out, adding its release date underneath New Falcon is Comming, and maybe flash to a dark sillouette of a rear shot of an XR in a dark warehouse (not showing much detail being so dark) or something, then flash back to the original screen with Ford up top, New Falcon is Comming in the middle, then release date down the bottom, then flash white into the next add.

Then when its launched, you can start the add with the dark warehouse, all silent with the sillouette of the XR, then you hear it start up its engine with a V8 rev and the tail lights and parkers come on, and you hear a few more starting up and reving in the background. The camera lifts up to see park lights and tail lights of a few more, then you hear another car start up with and rev and turbo hiss.. then they all idle for a second, until all the lights in the warehouse turn on, and they all rev loudly as the music starts and the screen is overlaid (and Narrated) with 'New Falcon', which dissapears, and there is a quick fade in: 'Is Here' and it fades to black, leaving the 'Is here' on the screen. Words fade away as you hear a V8 rev and then take off with a squeal, Leading to the black metal screen with Ford badge up top, 'new falcon' in the middle, and 'is here' down the bottom. Then maybe have the middle and bottom lines fade out and replaced with whatever fords new slogan is. something like a Ford badge up the top, and then 'Better than Ever' underneath.

I dont know if that made sense to anyone, but I know if I could produce the add I would. Hopefully intriguing people at first, and slowly drawing them in. Then when you launch full add, the day you launch the car, every one pays attention to the add when it comes on.

Seriously, I need a job in advertising.

Previously:
98 AU Futura 4.0 - Wildcat Extractors, 200cpsi Stainless Cat, Custom 2.5" Mandrel Bent Exhaust, Tickford Snorkel, Fram 'Airhog' Panel Filter - Daily

79 P6 LTD Silver Monarch - Project
broken_suave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2008, 07:51 AM   #29
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Which, sadly, has very little to do with actually selling a car.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2008, 08:42 AM   #30
HSE2

It is a great pre emptive strike against FG. If my ears are fibbing I think I heard that they were introducing V8 cylinder deactivation this year??? Was that right????

If so it’s a bit of a clue to the rest of Holden’s 60th party.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post