Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-02-2007, 01:22 PM   #1
Ridin-High

Default Go-Kart Information Needed thnx :)

Posting for my dad.

A guy @ his work is leaving and wants to sell his go-kart for $1200, the information i have on it that the engine has been built from a performance shop and is blueprinted? (what does that mean) it also has a claimed top speed of 100kmph

Can anyone give abit of a general speel about go-karts pricing etc and if this seems like a good deal

Ridin-High is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2007, 01:32 PM   #2
Gunns
Banned

What sort of kart (brand & type) is it, and what type of engine is it running (brand and type)? without that it is a bit hard to give you a price.
Gunns is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2007, 01:48 PM   #3
Roj Mugwump
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zh-Fairlane
Posting for my dad.

A guy @ his work is leaving and wants to sell his go-kart for $1200, the information i have on it that the engine has been built from a performance shop and is blueprinted? (what does that mean) it also has a claimed top speed of 100kmph

Can anyone give abit of a general speel about go-karts pricing etc and if this seems like a good deal
When the engines are made they are put together very sloppy - so you "blueprint" it to take it back to original specs - this might be a minor tweak here and there or some very hardcore work... do you know what type it is?!? usually blueprinting costs around 300 bucks or so depending on how much work is done...

cheers
roj
Roj Mugwump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2007, 08:39 PM   #4
rodderz

$1200 for a gokart will buy you these days a probably 4-6yr or older (guess) kart with most likely a yamaha KT100S or J motor, which are the air cooled 100cc 2-strokes

When I had mine a blueprint (which consists of takedown of motor and make as accurate as possible piston bores, replace rings, basially improve all tolerances inside motor for most effective power) was around $900 all up. I did a top end 1st then about 8hrs later a full top and bottom end which was the $900, the top end was about half from memory. It could be a lot cheaper these days due to 4 strokes becoming more popular.

The top speed depends on the track layout and what gearing you have on your kart...less teeth equals more speed but takes longer to wind up
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2007, 10:25 PM   #5
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Are the four stroke go karts the same technology as the new four stroke motorbikes? I have visions of a go kart with a CRF 450 motor on the back? YEEEE HAAAAAAHHHH
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2007, 10:48 PM   #6
TEaaron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've seen a cr500 motor put into a gokart, now that's power lol.

And more reliable than a crf450 motor lol.

E32 740iL Leather, sound system, rollin' on 19's
TEaaron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2007, 11:32 PM   #7
rodderz

Every now and then you some bloke at a local track with a motorbike engine on his kart, and the things are literally insane..... sideways at every tap of the throttle

I'm not sure about the latest 4 stroke bike engines but the rotax 125's are probably most popular in karts at the moment, liquid cooled and push button start
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post