Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-02-2007, 12:26 AM   #1
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Ford extended warranties are not worth !#$@all

I purchased an extended warranty after getting a letter from ford offering it for $1000. My car only has 56k on it so I thought it might be worth it for the extra 3 years. The letter stated that the warranty would work the same way as my old one and the only difference is it would be underwritten by an insurance company.

I booked my AUII in for a look at the sway bar as its making a noise and when I looked the bracket has come away allowing it to move up and down. One of the rubber boots on the steering rack is also damaged and the three rear seatbelts no longer retract.

When I went to pick up the car the dealership informed me that they had done nothing to the car because they were awaiting approval for any warranty work from ford. So now I have to drive a car with a dodgy sway bar, leaking power steering and no rear seatbelts because the dealership can't make an assessment of the car.

The dealership had this opinion that it wasn't really under warranty and couldn't care less if it went through or not. I was also informed that it was unlikely that the sway bar would be covered because they belived it to be a result of a non-standard fastener used in the bracket (they are the only ones to have touched anything other than oil changes.) and the seatbelts were probably deemed interior trim so they most likely wouldn't be covered either. I guess the moral of this story is extended vehicle warranties like all other extended warranties aren't worth a pinch of ****

RIPGMH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2007, 12:30 AM   #2
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's always lots of fine print.

I remember when we asked about Holden's warranty on used vehicles, it covered very little of the car's electronics and/or mechanics.

We were going to take out an extended warranty on our VTII. At purchase (09/00), the 3 year extension was a good price. After Barloworld took over Geoff Brady, the price went up by 50%. So we said, "The car is 3 years old. Nothing should go totally wrong. The XF Falcon was dodgy, but nothing major."

Since then, only thing that happens is the bloody central locking. Either the keys stop working, or a receiver in the door breaks. But that has only happened 3 times.

Oh wait...that sucks!
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2007, 12:44 AM   #3
XRQTR
TBA Customs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPGMH
The letter stated that the warranty would work the same way as my old one
I would think that this statement should have been warning enough, LOL sorry but couldn't resist.

As for the rear seat belts, they are actually a roadworthy requirement that they are operating correctly, they are not "interior trim", let them know that if you get done for a roadworthy that they will be getting a visit from the cops.
XRQTR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2007, 01:13 AM   #4
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

I have this warranty with my car. They gave it to me, to get me to buy the car. I got the A/C fix under this warranty so i'm happy.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:17 AM   #5
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm half tempted to take the BA down and tell them there is a noise under the bonnet
Old 01-02-2007, 01:42 AM   #6
Maximus
ED XR6

**** them man, My mates got an AU ute still under extended warantee and he's had nothing but troubles. Take it down there and act ****ed, they'll be more likely to do something about it.
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2007, 09:16 AM   #7
Ringo
I see you....

Question - who takes the risk on the extended warranty you have? FoMoCo or the dealer? Can you take the car to any dealer for servicing?

Ususally its the dealership who sold it to you as it requires you to have all your servicing at that dealer.

They have you a loyal service customer for the 3 years of the warranty and make money out of you, taking the risk that they may have to cover a few items along the way.

There is warranty (to cover manufacturer defects and failed electronics) and then there is wear and tear.....

From reading you post I think the only things that would be covered would be the faulty seatbelts and leaking p/s ....the other things would be wear and tear.

my 2 cents anyway
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2007, 01:57 PM   #8
XR8GRL
Powered by Tickford

Ford + warranties / extended warranties do not mix. They are hopeless.

I've had my fair share of dramas with Ford and my extended warranty.

SILHOUETTE AUII XR8
Leather, Premium sound, Momo S/wheel & gear knob, Sunroof, 20" Advanti Desires, Bulge, XR50 Front, Pacemaker extractors,
Ballistic cats, 2.5" cat back system, Rebel bar & skirts, XR scuff plates, Kings SL & SSL springs
XR8GRL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2007, 02:10 PM   #9
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
I guess the moral of this story is extended vehicle warranties like all other extended warranties aren't worth a pinch of ****
I think the moral of the story is to understand what you're getting in to before handing over $1k of hard earned.

An extended warranty is a suprisingly complex financial product. I know i wouldnt put my life savings into a vehicle based on a salesperson telling me "she'll be right mate" and even a product like this deserves sound consideration.

What im saying is, the documentation should state what is covered and what isnt.

Also.. remember you have now introduced a third party to the relationship between the dealership and you. Im not suprised they didnt do any work on it without approval being granted. Would you...? And expose yourself to the risk that the insurer might not pay out on the warranty claim?? They're not running a charitable organisation.

I dont see how you could possible complain about the operation of a warranty product that you clearly dont understand the operations of.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:17 PM   #10
XR06T
13.96 @ 101.65

extended warranty?

new car warranty is no better when it gets close to finishing.
i had my driveline voided of any repairs after taking the car to the drags.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:20 PM   #11
Ringo
I see you....

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR06T
i had my driveline voided of any repairs after taking the car to the drags.
WTF? How does that work?

Sure it hasn't got anything to with any mods?
Old 01-02-2007, 02:23 PM   #12
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Whyd you tell them you took your car to the drags?

I got the extended warranty on mine but I wish I hadnt wasted the money now. Hopefully it will come in handy if my CD stacker craps itself or if my electric windows stop working or something. I dont expect them to come to the table for any serious mechanical faults. Not that they would for me anyway now I have voided the engine (LPG system) and driveline (exhaust) warranties.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2007, 02:35 PM   #13
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

after working at a Ford dealer, i realized i would never bother with extended warranty, just plain dodgy way of getting them more $$$ at your expense
Old 01-02-2007, 02:40 PM   #14
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

well my extended warranty has paid for it self...about 4 times over.... so i'm happy. AND I have nothing but priase for ALL the work carried out under warranty at various Ford dealers...even the dealer who serviced my automatic transmission twice!!! (my ute is a manual)
Old 01-02-2007, 07:56 PM   #15
havoc19
Banned

Ive often wondered about this in general actualy my thoughs have always been that u should be able to buy a brand new car take it up the road thrash **** out of it do burnouts drift corners and it shouldnt break for atleast a certain amount of time no matter how hard you push it isnt that the whole point of buying new?
havoc19 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2007, 09:16 PM   #16
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

ford extended roadside service is another trap. we bought a new territory, mainly for the wife so I went the roadside service. She has called it once; they sent the RAA. as we are members of the RAA it basically means it was a waste of money.
the outcome of that was that the RAA wasn't allowed to touch the fault and suggested we take it back to the dealer. well if it wasn't a sunday we would have!
thefargo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2007, 09:50 PM   #17
Falchoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc19
Ive often wondered about this in general actualy my thoughs have always been that u should be able to buy a brand new car take it up the road thrash **** out of it do burnouts drift corners and it shouldnt break for atleast a certain amount of time no matter how hard you push it isnt that the whole point of buying new?
No. That is abuse and voids your warranty like XR06T found out after he went drag racing in his car. They are family cars (albeit with a bit more performance if you have a XR6T/8 or FPV) and not designed to go racing, drifting, burnouts or generally abused. It's all about fair wear and tear.

Nothing is unbreakable anyway, someone will always find a way. Like when Micro$oft bring out a new product saying it is unhackable, usually within the week someone has figured a way.
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2007, 09:52 PM   #18
blue terra
au=gold

My extended warranty has paid for itself. Mine came with the car when i bought it and got it transferred into my name. I've replaced cooling fans, switches, they covered 75% of a new motor for me, and countless other stuff. So i'm told the service dept, wont touch the car until they know if they'll get paid for the work done and that comes from the insurance company.
blue terra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2007, 10:23 PM   #19
GT-E

The Ford extended warranty is underwritten by Swann insurance.
When I traded in my XR6T, I cashed in my extended warranty and got a cheque 2 weeks later for $1047, I had paid $1100, so I was happy as I got an average tradein.
As long as you have not started the warranty or have any claims outstanding you can cash them in.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:19 AM   #20
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
I think the moral of the story is to understand what you're getting in to before handing over $1k of hard earned.

An extended warranty is a suprisingly complex financial product. I know i wouldnt put my life savings into a vehicle based on a salesperson telling me "she'll be right mate" and even a product like this deserves sound consideration.

What im saying is, the documentation should state what is covered and what isnt.

Also.. remember you have now introduced a third party to the relationship between the dealership and you. Im not suprised they didnt do any work on it without approval being granted. Would you...? And expose yourself to the risk that the insurer might not pay out on the warranty claim?? They're not running a charitable organisation.

I dont see how you could possible complain about the operation of a warranty product that you clearly dont understand the operations of.
The work should have been carried out regardless of if it was covered by a warranty, the fact is I told them to fix it. I didn't say only fix it if it was covered by warranty. They should have done it and then charged me failing warranty coverage. At the very least the seatbelts should have been replaced. I have an account with them so its not like I have come in off the street.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:24 AM   #21
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falchoon
No. That is abuse and voids your warranty like XR06T found out after he went drag racing in his car. They are family cars (albeit with a bit more performance if you have a XR6T/8 or FPV) and not designed to go racing, drifting, burnouts or generally abused. It's all about fair wear and tear.

Nothing is unbreakable anyway, someone will always find a way. Like when Micro$oft bring out a new product saying it is unhackable, usually within the week someone has figured a way.
Ford and Holden sell a whole heap of cars based on a performance image. I agree deliberately trashing a car is different but spirted driving and the problems that arise from poor design and engineering to deal with these stresses is just crap. It would be like Nissan voiding/denying a warranty cos you took your patrol off road.
Old 02-02-2007, 06:29 AM   #22
qwigybo
hunting 300kw's

my extended warranty paid for itself first time out, had the ICC replaced in the BA $1695 later for the warranty company it was all better
and no it's not ford extended warranty
qwigybo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2007, 06:42 AM   #23
melon466
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've got the Ford Solutions extended warranty, I'm happy with it, had the cam chain tensioners replaced, got rid of the rattle, paid for itself.
melon466 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2007, 12:13 AM   #24
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My faith in the Ford motor company has been restored (it wasn't ever really in doubt) after talking to the dealer and getting no sense at all I called the Ford customer relationship centre and talked to people who were actually concerned about their customers. They contacted the dealership and two days later the parts have arrived and due to be put in on monday.
Old 14-02-2007, 09:16 PM   #25
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Extended Warranty HAHA!!

I can't even get normal warranty

Their favorite saying is "It's within specifications"

Or they just make up complete BS

IF they actually try to fix something they usually make it worse
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2007, 09:38 PM   #26
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is nothing worng with FORD SOLUTIONS warranty. Its the dealers that are being difficult, as they are with cars under factory warranty.
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2007, 10:42 PM   #27
MON10A

ihad enough trouble in the first 3 years i wasnt going to waste my money on it so it got sold
MON10A is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2007, 10:49 PM   #28
HLC
Audi S3

i got my radiator replaced under extended warranty, a 6 stacker, soon to be 2 as well.

my mums car has had 2 faulty heater boxes (incl labour- removing the interior of the car TWICE), a few 6 stackers, and other various bits and pieces

ALL done under extended warranty, depends on the dealer and how well you know your service guys i guess ;)
Old 15-02-2007, 02:16 PM   #29
Ringo
I see you....

Could it be that dealer get nervous if their claims back to FoMoCo will be honoured and they end up 'absorbing' the cost of the repair they did?
Old 15-02-2007, 02:29 PM   #30
2002auxr6
Drunk!

Thumbs down

Quote:
I purchased an extended warranty after getting a letter from ford offering it for $1000. My car only has 56k on it so I thought it might be worth it for the extra 3 years. The letter stated that the warranty would work the same way as my old one and the only difference is it would be underwritten by an insurance company.

I booked my AUII in for a look at the sway bar as its making a noise and when I looked the bracket has come away allowing it to move up and down. One of the rubber boots on the steering rack is also damaged and the three rear seatbelts no longer retract.

When I went to pick up the car the dealership informed me that they had done nothing to the car because they were awaiting approval for any warranty work from ford. So now I have to drive a car with a dodgy sway bar, leaking power steering and no rear seatbelts because the dealership can't make an assessment of the car.

The dealership had this opinion that it wasn't really under warranty and couldn't care less if it went through or not. I was also informed that it was unlikely that the sway bar would be covered because they belived it to be a result of a non-standard fastener used in the bracket (they are the only ones to have touched anything other than oil changes.) and the seatbelts were probably deemed interior trim so they most likely wouldn't be covered either. I guess the moral of this story is extended vehicle warranties like all other extended warranties aren't worth a pinch of ****
i guess the moral of the story is that your a ******** who doesnt read into things, i work for probally one of the biggest warranty companys in aus and its ******** customers like you that give extened warranty companys, insuranse companys a bad name, read what ur getting ur self into first!