Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-08-2014, 03:51 PM   #1
Patty

Default G6E turbo vs Territory Ghia Turbo

Hey guys,

I didn't know where to post this, so the PUB seemed most applicable. I'm happy for it to be moved if there is a better section for this discussion.

I am in the market for a second hand car and my budget is $20-$30k, not including money set aside for some handy mods. This will be my daily driver and I'm not wanting to buy a car with more then 150,000kms on the ODO as I plan on keeping this car for 5 years.

I've had my heart set on a Turbo Territory Ghia (TTG) but after a month of research I am scared by the possibility of ongoing maintenance costs (diff bushes, ball joints, etc)

I am after a luxury performance car and both the G6E turbo and TTG tick all the boxes on paper. I'm after comfort, reliability, space, power. The Territory on paper wins for me due to being AWD compared to the G6E single spinner and I'm planning on modding to around 300rwkw. They both have similar options (leather, satnav, reverse cam, ZF 6 spd)

But what I don't want is outrageous maintenance costs. From what I can see from research, the G6E Falcon is a relatively trouble free car with the usual issues that any car could have, but the Territory has recurring issues, especially once its' over 150,000kms.

What do I do???? I honestly would prefer the higher driving position the Territory offers but I'm scared of ongoing issues. One guy in the Territory section said he just spent $6k on fixing his car in the last 12 months.

I have test driven both cars and am blown away by both. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Patty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2014, 05:43 PM   #2
fordman302

Default Re: G6E turbo vs Territory Ghia Turbo

I would think that the fuel usage would be world's apart, I have a n/a awd territory and it's very heavy on fuel, it is however a great comfortable car that I have never had to spend big money to fix.
fordman302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2014, 05:46 PM   #3
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We sold our G6ET and bought a Terry diesel but here are some of my thoughts.
The G6ET cost Ford nothing on warranty and has some features that Terry's don't (didn't have). Eg G6ET gets 8-way drivers seat vs 6-way for Terry. G6ET also gets seat memory linked with mirrors and ours had adjustable foot pedals, also linked to key fob/seat memory and dipping LHS mirror on selecting reverse gear. G6ET will have more performance (270kW vs 245) and will be more economical although Terry has larger fuel tank. Terry I feel has better driving position and for long distance touring is more comfortable. I know you're looking at an SY but an SZ is actually quieter then the G6ET. I can't remember if they built SYII Turbo's as this would solve the ball joint problems. The Terry will offer more practicality while the G6ET I feel is one of the greatest cars ever built in this country. There would be no wrong choice so really I would base it on what you prefer driving because in suburbia their performance is really moot, whereas how they drive and what suits your needs best is something that will be faced for every km you travel.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 13-08-2014, 05:47 PM   #4
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Factor in a trutrac diff as one of your mods, then go get a G6ET.

Then enjoy!
Old 13-08-2014, 05:53 PM   #5
Patty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
We sold our G6ET and bought a Terry diesel but here are some of my thoughts.
The G6ET cost Ford nothing on warranty and has some features that Terry's don't (didn't have). Eg G6ET gets 8-way drivers seat vs 6-way for Terry. G6ET also gets seat memory linked with mirrors and ours had adjustable foot pedals, also linked to key fob/seat memory and dipping LHS mirror on selecting reverse gear. G6ET will have more performance (270kW vs 245) and will be more economical although Terry has larger fuel tank. Terry I feel has better driving position and for long distance touring is more comfortable. I know you're looking at an SY but an SZ is actually quieter then the G6ET. I can't remember if they built SYII Turbo's as this would solve the ball joint problems. The Terry will offer more practicality while the G6ET I feel is one of the greatest cars ever built in this country. There would be no wrong choice so really I would base it on what you prefer driving because in suburbia their performance is really moot, whereas how they drive and what suits your needs best is something that will be faced for every km you travel.
Thanks for that, if I got the TTG I would be going for SY II (2009-2010) which sort of solves the ball joint issue, but 245kw on the AWD system will start to generate driveline issues once it gets to 10 years old (I'll be keeping it for 5 years).

Both cars offer diffent pro's. I love the idea of driving up high and chucking a bike in the bike and having AWD power in the TTG, but the G6E is one sexy car IMO and the best perfomance luxury package I have ever seen for less then $50,000.

The G6E came in 18's or optional 19's, obviously the 19's look better but does it drive well on the 19's? I heard the ride wasn't as comfy with the 19's on.
Old 13-08-2014, 05:55 PM   #6
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just picked up my SY2 TTG, 77k on the clock, from a dealer with warranty, for $25k.
Stick to a SY2, and you won't get the dodgy balljoints.
Unfortunately the TTG stopped production in 2010, so you'll be able to get a newer G6E.
Also the TTG was still the old engine, so its only 240kw and quite thirsty.

I am blown away by the TTG, particularly as it does not drive like an SUV.
But I love Falcons too, and reckon the turbo would be awesome. Pick the one you prefer.
Don't be worried about maintenance. EVERY car needs maintenance, and these are mechanically mostly the same car, with the addition of AWD. Yes it adds a bit, but overall your maintenance spend won't be that much higher on similar vehicles.
That said, as I mentioned earlier, for the same money you'll get a newer (and less mileage) G6E, which will mean your maintenance costs will be delayed. For your budget you can probably get a G6E that is still within (or just out of) factory warranty.

One other point, which may or may not be of interest, but was certainly a factor for me.
There are no more TTGs, and they are only getting older.
But, in 5 years time, if you want a change, you'll be able to buy a 2016 FZ G6ET that is only 3 years old.
This user likes this post:
Old 13-08-2014, 05:55 PM   #7
Patty

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordman302 View Post
I would think that the fuel usage would be world's apart, I have a n/a awd territory and it's very heavy on fuel, it is however a great comfortable car that I have never had to spend big money to fix.
I'm not too worried about fuel usage. I currently drive a VE V8 calais wagon and average 15-16 l/100km so anything less then that is a bonus. Our work Territory (SY RWD 4spd) averages 10.5l/100km so anything between 10-15 is what I expect.
Old 13-08-2014, 06:43 PM   #8
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty View Post
Thanks for that, if I got the TTG I would be going for SY II (2009-2010) which sort of solves the ball joint issue, but 245kw on the AWD system will start to generate driveline issues once it gets to 10 years old (I'll be keeping it for 5 years).

Both cars offer diffent pro's. I love the idea of driving up high and chucking a bike in the bike and having AWD power in the TTG, but the G6E is one sexy car IMO and the best perfomance luxury package I have ever seen for less then $50,000.

The G6E came in 18's or optional 19's, obviously the 19's look better but does it drive well on the 19's? I heard the ride wasn't as comfy with the 19's on.
IIRC the G6ET was set up better on 18's for ride.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2014, 06:46 PM   #9
fordman302

We struggle to hit 13.5lts/100k on a trip in our territory, and around town is worse again, it uses as much around town as my modified xr8 and more than the xr8 on a trip
fordman302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-08-2014, 09:10 PM   #10
zilo
BANNED

It's an oxymoron to expect low maintenance costs with a performance turbo vehicle.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2014, 09:24 PM   #11
Cobramad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All depends how you drive, greatest penalty is added fuel consumption, and if you're serious, tyres and brakes.
All vehicles need regular servicing, so as long as you don't underservice, the difference is not huge.
Had our Territory Ghia Turbo since new in '07 and thankfully had no major issues.
If you are a true tight-***, don't buy one and opt for a new Suzuki Swift!
Otherwise , sit back and enjoy your preferred vehicle. Long after you forget what you paid for it, it needs to still put a smile on your face when you jump in for a drive.
Cobramad is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2014, 10:32 PM   #12
HULK EF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

that'd be me. $6k in 12 months.
indicator stalk combination switch malfunctioned twice so far.
done d\front cvs/drive shafts
front diff bushes
ect ect ec..

-go for as low a km car in either the g6e turbo or territory as possible.
HULK EF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2014, 10:47 PM   #13
nothin suss
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Two totally different cars for different purposes really.
A mate just sold his g6et with less than 60k on it. 19's, silver, f6 cooler and a few mods. 300rwkw and genuinely immaculate for about 22k. Heaps of car for the $$.

Either Terry or G6e will need maintenance. Obviously the terry has more moving parts and bushes equalling more $$ maintenance. Just get either car checked out properly. And presume you will be up for a few grand here and there for maintenance. Bushes and balljoints don't last forever.
Old 13-08-2014, 10:57 PM   #14
BIONIC MAN
Two turning.. two burning

Depends on how many km you plan on clocking up too, yes the TTG use a bit of fuel, ours always around 15L/100 mixed town/ country driving.
if you plan to do lots of miles then those parts you mentioned may need replacing and it can add up.
Two totally different cars to compare really, the TTG does put a smile on your face, particularly when your right behind someone going up a hill in an overtaking lane and they don't expect a ford territory to be pushing their V8 commo up the hill :-)

if you need the extra room, or like the higher driving position, TTG is the GO.

BLOWN, 2013 FPV GS UTE
TURBO TERRITORY GHIA
545ci XB GS UTE
Daily, 2006 F250 crew cab
BA2 Fairmont Ghia
BIONIC MAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2014, 11:00 PM   #15
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

A tt will be nowhere near as fuel efficient as a v8 commodore. Don't expect fuel savings.
I'm a massive Territory fan but have always been underwhelmed by the TT. First one I drove I thought it may have just been a dud. But then I drove a few more. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they are slow or bad cars but I just don't think they are the sum of their parts. I expected more. It's just too flat and not a drivers car.

G6ET is a much better drivers car and a better base for modding. I also think mods are far less necessary than on the Territory. LSD diff and a tune and happy days. The FG turbo engine hits much harder and is so much more responsive than the pancake flat TT engine.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2014, 12:55 AM   #16
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Ghia View Post
the pancake flat TT engine.
Old 14-08-2014, 12:59 AM   #17
XD ESP! XELR8
ESP5 + BOOST

G6ET for sure..

Anyone with 19s wanting to downgrade to 18s hit me up..

Dave

Daily drives
BA XR6T lighting strike...Boosted
FG G6ET ego...tuned
F6
XD ESP! XELR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2014, 01:21 AM   #18
1TUFFUTE
Banned

I cross shopped for both the same as you(with the ranger in there aswell)
In the end could NOT resist the silky G6ET looks feel and the BOOSZt......ohh the BOOST
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2014, 02:46 AM   #19
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordman302 View Post
We struggle to hit 13.5lts/100k on a trip in our territory, and around town is worse again, it uses as much around town as my modified xr8 and more than the xr8 on a trip
If you want fuel economy, buy a Fiesta, not a big turbo 6.

Being realistic, there is little comparison between these cars, despite their shared platform.
Do you want an SUV or do you want a Saloon?
I'm LOVIN the TTG, but if it wasn't for her indoors & the kids wanting an SUV, it would be a GT.
The Territory gives you attributes the Falcon can never match, but if you don't want them, then don't bother.
Make no mistake, the TTG is awesome, and is "saloon-like" in its handling and performance, but it is STILL a big heavy SUV.
Old 14-08-2014, 01:15 PM   #20
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

bit of a diff in cars
i hate the tall 4wd look thingy that people seem to think 'im higher up in the road im safer and can go off roading' car
but thats just me

every car needs maint
its a car
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2014, 01:46 PM   #21
Patty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobramad View Post
Had our Territory Ghia Turbo since new in '07 and thankfully had no major issues.
If you are a true tight-***, don't buy one and opt for a new Suzuki Swift!
Haha Suzuki it is for me then ;)

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I understand there is maintenance required for all cars (although, in the last 5 years I haven't spent a cent on fixing anything on both my cars). I just don't want to be up for HUGE maintenance bills which concerned me about 2nd hand Terry's.

I'm still undecided haha. I just love the idea of the space in the Terry and chucking a pram, bike, shopping in with ease, plus the option of 7 seats.

AAAGGH hard choice.
Old 19-08-2014, 11:02 PM   #22
Cobramad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As expected, space-wise, the Territory is all over the Falcon..
We sold our BA2 F6 and moved into the Territory as the family grew.. It has proven to be a great car for those of us with little ones and has absorbed a surprising amount of kiddy punishment.
With a tune, bigger catalyst, injectors and front mount intercooler, it would comfortably consume the F6 in a drag race and still get the kids to school on time!!
Whatever meets your needs is the go!
Cobramad is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post