Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-07-2014, 08:15 AM   #1
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default High-Performance XR8 Model Showcasing Ford’s Global Design Language

Ford reveals the new Falcon XR8, designed to be the best Falcon ever with improved design, technology and performance
Falcon XR8 showcases Ford’s global design DNA with signature trapezoidal grille, chiseled headlights with daytime running lamps and smoother wrap-around tail-lamps
Signature bonnet power dome has been enhanced
Falcon XR6 and XR8 carry distinctive XR head light design cues in the headlights

MELBOURNE, 25 Jul., 2014 – Ford revealed today the new Falcon XR8 performance sedan that blends the car’s iconic history with Ford’s new global design DNA to achieve the development team’s goal of creating the best Falcon ever.
Also joining the new XR8 performance model is the first official image of the refreshed XR6 sedan.
The Falcon XR6 and XR8 showcase the Australian design team’s interpretation of Ford’s global design DNA with a signature trapezoidal grille, chiseled head lamp treatment and smoother, wrap-around tail-lamps with LED technology. These features accentuate the high levels of design refinement that will appear across the refreshed Falcon range.
As a mark of distinction among the sporty XR series, the XR8 features strong exterior graphics with a distinct sporty front end treatment, as well as signature bonnet power dome that has been enhanced for the 2014 Falcon XR8. This is complemented by a specific exhaust system tuned for the sporty V8 exhaust note.
The Exterior Design Manager for the new Falcon, Nima Nourian, said the Australian design team drew on all the visual strength of the existing XR series, which provided a perfect canvas to develop the 2014 Falcon XR series.
“The challenge was delivering a powerful, yet premium look for the 2014 car,” Nourian said. “I’m proud of the fact that the new Falcon XR builds on an already distinctive design and yet delivers a whole new personality.
“The Falcon is acknowledged as being one of the most iconic Australian sedans available but the 2014 Falcon pushes this theme further forward. Our customers will easily identify the new Falcon by its premium look.”
On the sports XR models, the head lamp treatment is a key differentiator, which in past XR models had featured a distinctive sporty quad-head lamp design.
The XR’s slim head lamps provide a high-end technical look and feature ‘hockey stick’-style LED daytime running lamps that mimic the “double drop” headlight treatment of past XRs. The lens reflectors also get distinctive “XR” shields inset into the overall head lamp design. There are also unique fog lamp bezels.
“With the XR6 and XR8 the front end is not only sporty but has a premium look, which will also be apparent across the Falcon range,” Nourian said.
“We did that by implementing the signature Ford trapezoidal grille shape high on the front end to provide a more purposeful look which is a signature look on most of our vehicles globally.
“This new layout is further enhanced by the slim head-lamps flanking either side of the grille. The headlamps have distinct technical graphics and detailing inside as well as clever use of materials and finishes.
“On the XR series, we wanted a three-dimensional honey-comb grille mesh, which visually demonstrates the sporty nature of the car. The power dome on the XR8 also further enhances this look. The power dome expresses the car’s intention and for our XR8 customers, will be an instantly recognisable difference.”
The 2014 Falcon XR8 power dome now extends up to the windscreen cowl to deliver a stronger look. “This look is also found on the Mustang that will arrive next year so it’s perfectly in keeping with Ford’s V8 performance vehicles,” Nourian said.
The strong family resemblance not only links Falcon to the new Mustang but highlights DNA shared with the new Mondeo which joins the line-up in Australia next year.
On the rear, the jeweled split tail-lamps accentuate the car’s wide, purposeful stance and smooth exterior lines. The new tail -lamps use LED technology while the new sculpted boot lid has an integrated rear spoiler on XR models. A bespoke lower diffuser on the XR8 houses the round quad exhaust tips and further emphasizes the performance of the XR8 from the rear view.
“For customers, the exterior of the 2014 Falcon – particularly the XR models – is distinctive and the rear of the car takes on a wider stance. It will stand out from the crowd,” Nourian said.
Ford President and CEO, Bob Graziano, said the XR8 badge was a welcomed return to the Falcon line-up. “We’re very excited by the return of the XR8, as this badge has not been seen on a Falcon since 2010,” he said. “Our enthusiasts have been asking for it so we’ve purposely revealed the Falcon XR6 and XR8 first.”
With the return of the V8 into the Falcon portfolio, Graziano said Falcon will be the only Australian-made large sedan available that has the choice of three engines, the acclaimed EcoBoost four, in-line six or V8 petrol engines.
“Four, six, or eight; our customers will have more choice,” Graziano said. “To enhance the choice too, our six cylinder customers will also be able to choose between the locally developed EcoLPi engine or Turbo six cylinder, as well as the naturally aspirated six.”
“Quite simply, we think this is the best Falcon ever. I just couldn’t be more pleased with what the talented local team’s been able to accomplish, I’m really proud of them,” Graziano said.
“When you look at cars like the new Falcon, it’s easy to understand why we are now leading global projects such as the new Everest which is designed and engineered in Australia for the world.”
Pricing, features and specifications of the 2014 Falcon will be revealed closer to launch. The Falcon range and ute go on sale in the fourth quarter of this year.

Source: Ford Media

Observatio Facta Rotae

Last edited by russellw; 12-09-2014 at 07:31 AM.
russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2014, 08:51 AM   #2
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Default Re: High-Performance XR8 Model Showcasing Ford’s Global Design Language

Just wish this sort of innovative design and implementation was available earlier. It looks like a great car.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 25-07-2014, 08:52 AM   #3
UKXR8

Feeling a lot of love for the XR8!

2003 AU3 XR8 MANUAL

1998 EL XR6
UKXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2014, 08:59 AM   #4
graphicgoose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think that front lends itself much more to the XR8 than the XR6.
graphicgoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 25-07-2014, 09:04 AM   #5
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

yeah the flat bonnet is almost to plain, need a crease or something, or even better some vents like the mustang.

/broken record.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane

Last edited by Polyal; 25-07-2014 at 09:11 AM.
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-07-2014, 11:49 AM   #6
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

quad tailpipes on the 8!
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2014, 12:18 PM   #7
DrSnooper

At least the wheels are different between the 6 and 8.

Previously owned:
2008 FG GT Lightning Strike - No 149;
2012 FG GT MK2 Rspec Auto Vixen - No 46 of 350;
1974 XB GS Burnt Orange.

Vice President - NSW Falcon GT Owners Club;

Combined Ford Clubs Delegate for NSW Falcon GT Owners Club;
GT Nationals Delegate for NSW GT Falcon Owners Club.
GT Nationals Judge - Modern Era.
DrSnooper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2014, 12:19 PM   #8
LooLoo18

Any actual photos yet ?
LooLoo18 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2014, 01:38 PM   #9
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Quote:
The Falcon range and ute go on sale in the fourth quarter of this year
The ute lives on

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2014, 03:07 PM   #10
Sprint347
Tickford

Pleeeeeease make a Sprint!
SZ Territory TS RWD TDCi
Sprint347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 25-07-2014, 05:07 PM   #11
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

http://www.caradvice.com.au/298071/2...-in-new-video/
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2014, 10:05 PM   #12
BIONIC MAN
Two turning.. two burning

"The ute lives on "

yeh, the ute lives on... but not with a V8 in it.

BLOWN, 2013 FPV GS UTE
TURBO TERRITORY GHIA
545ci XB GS UTE
Daily, 2006 F250 crew cab
BA2 Fairmont Ghia
BIONIC MAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2014, 10:36 PM   #13
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It really does look like a "Falcon".

Looking forward to the rear end shots.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:17 PM   #14
Walt Kowalski
I use brain. Not hip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIONIC MAN View Post
"The ute lives on "

yeh, the ute lives on... but not with a V8 in it.

Seriously? How did you work that out?

A supercharged Coyote falcon ute is the only thing I'd sell my XR50T ute for.
Walt Kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-08-2014, 11:37 AM   #15
KW XRT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Couldn, t believe ford went down this path.fusion is ugly as h f o a.thought they would let the fg shape live on in america and sell some cars.now I, ve seen it a few times I, m starting too like.def not as good looking as fg.even chevrotet was smart enough to utalise the comadore and graft shape on to chevy nascars.ford would have been wise to follow suite.

XR6 Turbo.Championship winner.
KW XRT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2014, 12:33 PM   #16
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

I do really like the raised bonnet on the XR8 extending to the rear edge, and the headlights. Much better than the present V8 bonnets IMO.

The grille is something quite different to what we've been used to in the recent past, so it is naturally something that has to be warmed to. But I'm certainly warming to the front and rear designs, especially the XR8.

It would be good if Ford would release the model designation however, so we can call it that when we discuss it.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2014, 12:53 PM   #17
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post
I do really like the raised bonnet on the XR8 extending to the rear edge, and the headlights. Much better than the present V8 bonnets IMO.

The grille is something quite different to what we've been used to in the recent past, so it is naturally something that has to be warmed to. But I'm certainly warming to the front and rear designs, especially the XR8.

It would be good if Ford would release the model designation however, so we can call it that when we discuss it.
The view of the current bonnet from the driver's seat is fantastic - I think the FH will be less dramatic because it's wider and deeper, it will be less noticeable, I reckon.

I didn't like the first pics of the FH XRs, but over time, I think they are OK, if not quite as tough as the FG front (but I'm a little biased). Mustang style "deep dish" grille would've made it look heaps tougher.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2014, 12:59 PM   #18
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC View Post
The view of the current bonnet from the driver's seat is fantastic - I think the FH will be less dramatic because it's wider and deeper, it will be less noticeable, I reckon.

I didn't like the first pics of the FH XRs, but over time, I think they are OK, if not quite as tough as the FG front (but I'm a little biased). Mustang style "deep dish" grille would've made it look heaps tougher.
Yes,will be interesting to see how the drivers view will be with the new bonnet. I have driven an FG XR8 and agree the bonnet looks good from there. Its just when looking side on, the back part where it goes down looks a little strange to me; it doesn't follow the shape of the car. The new shape is more cohesive.

Last edited by Silver Ghia; 07-08-2014 at 01:17 PM.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2014, 01:10 PM   #19
Flat Top
lid man

whens launch?
Flat Top is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2014, 01:15 PM   #20
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

I think the xr6 looks like the current Mitsubishi Lancer. That's what I thought when I first saw it.

XR8. Much better.

What dissapoints me is, WHY!!!!!! Wasn't GTF postponed for the FH model? "The best falcon ever" deserves the best falcon nameplate!
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2014, 01:26 PM   #21
Flat Top
lid man

love to see the ute pics?
Flat Top is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2014, 10:24 PM   #22
Blem
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

NO Paddle shifts
Blem is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2014, 05:57 PM   #23
BlueEA

I don't mind the front but as mentioned would look better with the grille set back simular to the look of the Mustang. The FG has a nicer type of aggressive look. I've driven a number of cars with a paddle shift and they're a lot of fun therefore I also agree that a paddle shift should be an option given that they are coming out on a number cars especially the European cars. I like the new look but would have been better with a little more of an aggressive stance. IMO

Last edited by BlueEA; 08-08-2014 at 06:08 PM.
BlueEA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2014, 07:03 PM   #24
Chrisosicko
ADELAIDE

Im guessing the xr8 is just going to be gs spec. By the looks of that picture there is no brembo brakes
BOSS 335 MK11 #607
Black, ZF 435 RWKWS TUNED BY BRUCE HEINRICH POWERED BY HERROD
Chrisosicko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2014, 08:04 PM   #25
Sioso
irregular member

Latest Wheels magazine:

Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2014, 08:17 PM   #26
Nova 8

Not a massive fan personally, I'll have to wait to see it in person. I want to like it cause I want it to be my next purchase.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:26 PM   #27
stazza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not sure about the rear.... Almosty looks like the early 2000 commo rear end. Just doesn't suit the car IMO. Plus that horrible orange-gold colour it is makes that rear look identical to the bombadore as they had a similar colour
2011 SILHOUETTE FPV GS 315 #0275
20x10", 20x8.5" Lenso D1R's
Pedders XA Coilovers
Brembo 4/1
Pacemaker 1" 7/8 Headers
Twin 3" Stainless Manta Catback
XFT Built Motor
XFT Custom Surge Tank
XFT Stage 3 ZF
Final Drive Chromoly Tailshaft
KPM Twin Air Filter
KPM Stage 2 Intercooler
KPM Twin Throttle Body
2.6L Kenne Bell on E85
BlueStreak Circle D Converter
900+ rwhp thanks to Xtreme Ford Tuning
stazza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2014, 11:01 PM   #28
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisosicko View Post
Im guessing the xr8 is just going to be gs spec. By the looks of that picture there is no brembo brakes
There are Brembos, and should be standard too, but not confirmed as yet. Pic is a CGI so not 100% accurate.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2014, 11:11 PM   #29
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Looks good,should have put the ford badge on the grill instead of the nosecone,ruins the lines a bit and the mirror scalps need to be colourcoded,thats what id prefer anyhow.
Not sure if the xr8 wheels are the fg gt ones, certainly look similar,some new mags would be appropriate.
And the side marker things on the front guards,ugly,apart from that its nice,please dont have a cry because i dont like some things about it,its only my opinion,dont take it personal like forum people tend to!
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2014, 11:16 PM   #30
boss engine
Banned

HOw do you guys know there are no paddle shifts?
boss engine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post