Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-05-2023, 09:54 AM   #1
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Perth car/bike crash

hells bells.
I am not going to post up the pics but how the hell a motor bike can leave a 'dent inmpact' on the side of a Navara ute that possibly had no more room to move due to the drivers seat is beyond me.
RIP to the victims.
Old 09-05-2023, 10:23 AM   #2
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 
Default Re: Perth car/bike crash

Quote:
how the hell a motor bike can leave a 'dent inmpact' on the side of a Navara ute that possibly had no more room to move due to the drivers seat is beyond me.
As they say "speed kills".
Old 09-05-2023, 02:03 PM   #3
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

I just saw the pics and for sure the rider looks like he hit very hard, and square into the side of the ute. I think though, it hit behind the seat. Don't know how he managed to flip it over though. I would have thought the point of action of the force would be below the ute centre of gravity. RIP rider and Driver :(
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2023, 03:08 PM   #4
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Very sad and a bit close to home. We've got rellies there and I'd always dish off down Surf drive to get to the beach so as not to go down the later Anstey rd.. Left turn onto Warnbro sound rd, then roundabouts come up and a right to the beach... That bit of Warnbro is a straightish section of road with not too many streets joining it so I can see that people might go for a fang there, made the turn a bit harder.

The force must have been very great to impact the chassis like that, very sad, RIP

Is there a point where side impact protection won't help?
Old 09-05-2023, 03:27 PM   #5
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post

Is there a point where side impact protection won't help?
for sure. all the energy absorption in the world won't help when you get intrusion like that
Old 09-05-2023, 03:28 PM   #6
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Regardless of the driver's actions, why do motorcyclists continue to be their own worst enemies...
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-05-2023, 03:32 PM   #7
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Regardless of the driver's actions, why do motorcyclists continue to be their own worst enemies...
that's a bit presumptious. we don't know anything yet about either vehicle's behaviour
Old 09-05-2023, 03:39 PM   #8
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
that's a bit presumptious. we don't know anything yet about either vehicle's behaviour
There arent a lot of permutations of T intersection and side impact.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2023, 05:18 PM   #9
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
There arent a lot of permutations of T intersection and side impact.
Hmmm, there is for example the possibility that MC was travelling North on Warnbro Sound Av and had lost control before the impact and crossed the island hitting the ute turning right from Warnbro Sound Av into Surf Drive.
Old 09-05-2023, 05:57 PM   #10
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
Hmmm, there is for example the possibility that MC was travelling North on Warnbro Sound Av and had lost control before the impact and crossed the island hitting the ute turning right from Warnbro Sound Av into Surf Drive.
Whatever the reason for the crash you don't bend the chassis like that in a ute by doing the speed limit.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-05-...erth/102320100
Old 10-05-2023, 12:14 AM   #11
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

The latest report says the ute was turning in to Surf Drive from Warnbro Sound Av so it hard to fathom what happened https://7news.com.au/news/wa/two-men...ash-c-10589799 Can't image the bike had that much speed if if was approaching the T intersection from Surf Av. Did the ute pull from the left lane into the turning slip lane and cut the MC off or was the bike on the wrong side of the road in Warnbro Sound Av? Was alcohol or drugs also involved? I guess like everyone we can only speculate on what caused this tragedy.

Last edited by aussiblue; 10-05-2023 at 12:28 AM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2023, 12:31 AM   #12
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

20 years old, the motorcyclist. Same as the BA Falcon.

Somewhere in town, undertaker’s assistants are going to reassemble what was left inside the riding gear so that family can recognise a son to farewell. A short life - abruptly ended - entraining another death. Surely there’s better ways to review a tragedy than boggle at the damage?
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2023, 12:51 AM   #13
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
The latest report says the ute was turning in to Surf Drive from Warnbro Sound Av so it hard to fathom what happened https://7news.com.au/news/wa/two-men...ash-c-10589799 Can't image the bike had that much speed if if was approaching the T intersection from Surf Av. Did the ute pull from the left lane into the turning slip lane and cut the MC off or was the bike on the wrong side of the road in Warnbro Sound Av? Was alcohol or drugs also involved? I guess like everyone we can only speculate on what caused this tragedy.
How else are you going to bend the chassis rails that hard with a motorbike?

You'd have to have a decent number up to cause that much damage to the ute, I know its a Thailand Special, but still - its on its side and fingered.

I'm calling triple digits I reckon, starting with a 1 at least.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2023, 12:58 AM   #14
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
Somewhere in town, undertaker’s assistants are going to reassemble what was left inside the riding gear so that family can recognise a son to farewell. A short life - abruptly ended - entraining another death. Surely there’s better ways to review a tragedy than boggle at the damage?
It hit home to me especially as at around exactly the same time and day as that accident I was very nearly involved in a car V MC accident myself. I was driving south along North Lake Road, South Lake before Osprey Rd with wife and son on board heading to Tony Ales for Fruit and veg shopping when some idiot on an offroad MC riding north along/in the bushland verge on the west side decided to suddenly cross the four lanes of fast moving traffic (70KM/HR speed limit) on North Lake by just taking a right turn out of the bush on the side of the road. He nearly hit me head on and I had to brake heavily to avoid hitting him. It certainly gave me a fright and it seemed like we were only inches away from a head on. Cars in the adjacent lanes on both sides of the road were also forced to swerve and brake to avoid him as drove across the 4 lanes without warning. MC was probably also unregistered as no rear plates were visible as he then proceeded to pass us all at speed by heading south on the east side verge footpath. Young rider so possibly unlicensed too. Certainly gave me a big scare, and probably everyone else almost involved. a heart stopping a fright too. Why would someone do this; don't they value their lives or do they think they have superpowers or something?

(Near the bus stop in front of the yellow fence on the west side of North Lake Road for anyone checking on Google Earth).

Last edited by aussiblue; 10-05-2023 at 01:07 AM.
2 users like this post:
Old 10-05-2023, 08:27 AM   #15
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The latest report says the ute was turning in to Surf Drive from Warnbro Sound Av so it hard to fathom what happened
I can't even picture how that could possibly happen. the bike didn't scrape the ute. it hit the side square on. the only way that could happen is if the ute pulled OUT of Surf Drive directly in the path of the bike
3 users like this post:
Old 10-05-2023, 11:33 AM   #16
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
he only way that could happen is if the ute pulled OUT of Surf Drive directly in the path of the bike
Not so if the MC was racing down Surf Av towards the T junction and hit the ute while it was in the island on Warnbro Sd Av turning into Surf Av or the MC was traveling on the wrong side of Warnbro Av etc etc noting booze or drugs could also be involved. But until the truth comes out we can only speculate. Note today's West Australian newspaper (extract attached ) reports "MCs were still "hooning" (I assume they mean speeding) on Tuesday night" after the accident and it was inferred it was common occurrence.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MCaccident.jpg (87.5 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by aussiblue; 10-05-2023 at 11:45 AM.
2 users like this post:
Old 10-05-2023, 12:15 PM   #17
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

I'm betting the cycle was doing ~200km for that sort of damage.
FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-05-2023, 12:45 PM   #18
Bossxr8
Peter Car

That's why motorbike riders are referred to as temporary citizens.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-05-2023, 06:40 PM   #19
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

not me I'm still here. too old and cranky to do that sort of speed. to wise to assume the car driver isn't out to get me
3 users like this post:
Old 10-05-2023, 08:28 PM   #20
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
20 years old, the motorcyclist. Same as the BA Falcon.

Yes it's a tragedy. Being familiar with the area, I just can't compute how it could have happened so it shocks. Truly lucky are those of us who get to see our sons live through this young time and get to 25 or older in one piece. Again, RIP to both of those lost.
Old 10-05-2023, 08:32 PM   #21
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
I can't even picture how that could possibly happen. the bike didn't scrape the ute. it hit the side square on. the only way that could happen is if the ute pulled OUT of Surf Drive directly in the path of the bike
This is how I pictured it happening.
Old 10-05-2023, 08:36 PM   #22
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
This is how I pictured it happening.
The speed the bike would have been going the ute wouldn't have seen him!