Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 21-11-2008, 12:49 AM   #1
tel408
Your converter do this!

Default Sickning grash at motorplex

Graham Kennedy a ss/a bracket racer had a massive accident last Friday the 14th for the Goldstate Nationals. Hes still in hospital, and had to have a skin grath on hes right hand, and some tendant work done. Graham would be with out a dout the most well known ss/a racer at the plex, having raced his capri for many many years. Still not known what exactly happend, but many cars that night, had some sort of traction problems. This clip was shot on the big screen, we have hear. Still makes my stomach turn just looking at it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6SwbLgWwwc

A1 Performance Torque Converters
tel408 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2008, 07:04 AM   #2
xw383

For a National meeting the track seems rather slippery even for Super Sedan. I hope for a speedy recovery for the driver. Top end accidents are always the worst and you are just a passenger when that happens.
xw383 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2008, 09:55 AM   #3
Bluepower
KenneBell Australia

Hmmmm- short wheelbase car, plenty of grunt, some steering wheel action in the trap area, i would say and it's my opinion only that his jumped on the anchors a bit hard.

The car has definately unloaded the tyres, making it "light" in the rear approaching the end of the speed trap, whether its fluid on tyres (dont think so, but possible) or on brakes too hard or torque roll not 100%.

Im certain its not a rev lockout failure - the cars are usually more aggressive in the roll from the outset, and more often than not climb OVER the concrete. seen it at every track in aust.

Good driving in the other lane to avaoid it all. could have been worse, hope he pulls through ok.

Bluepower Racing Developments

Proud Australian Distributors of Kenne Bell superchargers
The Quickest, The Fastest, The Baddest Boss Blower of all.

www.bluepower.com.au

Bluepower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2008, 10:11 AM   #4
xr8-200

I hope Graham has a speedy recovery. I've been a fan of his for years.
xr8-200 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2008, 07:19 PM   #5
GASXR6

Watched the video a few times and this is only my opinion, the ute in the other lane makes a hard move right off the line and Graham seems to move right at the same time, maybe to avoid the ute? He stays right for most of the track after that and then seems to try and come over after the line, he's out of the groove and the track just isn't there. from memory went through the traps around 130 mph so is down about 10 mph already so I would say he was trying to slow before it actually came around.

I doubt very much he used too much brake as this fella has more experience than any other super sedan racer in WA. The car has been raced since the late 80's with a few upgrades over time and always goes straight.

Definately not got to do with wheelbase and grunt as It's been like this for years and goes like an arrow.

I was in that lane 3 passes before Graham and had a little experince of the groove not being under me either???? My car normally runs 2 or 3 tenths quicker than Graham and about 10-15 mph more. Here's a link.
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=Et0STi2sVbw
Old 21-11-2008, 08:50 PM   #6
waggaclint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its was a big one not nice to see live i was there last Friday night hey a Door Slammer when over on its lid too hey....pitty it was a very nice car that one too just as long as the driver is ok you can always fix or replace a car...
waggaclint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2008, 12:01 AM   #7
GASXR6

Graham has been disscharged from hospital now, but has a fairly lengthy recovery.
Old 23-11-2008, 01:13 AM   #8
tel408
Your converter do this!

Its hard really to speculate on what happened. Another condition to factor is that there was strong southly winds that weekend, and for the first time that I can remember, they were showing track tempetures on the big screen, and saying how the track was finding it hard to hold a good temp. I feal it was not one reason by itself, but a number of them that contributed to what happend. Another racer and good mate of mine went in to see graham on thursday, and asked him what he can remember. All he can say is that the car was driving ok, but did move out a bit towards the wall, and as it crossed the finish line, the back end just washed away, and that is about all he can remember. That same racer runs 8.50s in a full chassis comodore, and he even had to lift a couple of times. I think its going to be one of those things were your not really going to know what was the cause...

A1 Performance Torque Converters
tel408 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2008, 12:19 PM   #9
Mr. CVE
If it aint Blown it Sucks

Wow, that does look terrible, and I hope he does have a speedy recovery, does look like he was out of the groove, and that may be why the car went to the wall, perhaps when he backed off the car unloaded while steering slightly to the left, the car then steered as the pwer was off.
As bad as it is, the cage area shows great strength, which is good.
May go and have another look at the cage / chassis in my capri now.
Good luck and best wishes.
320 rwkw, 810 nm torque, 280rwkw @3000 rpm !! :thebirds:
Now for sale
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11296772

Thanks to Snort Performance, Headsex and CVE
Street car DeTomaso Pantera
Drag car 1995 Mustang, Haleys Comet ( It's back !)
Power by CVE
Melbourne's first SNIPER Tuner :
Now tuning E series
Mr. CVE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2008, 12:24 PM   #10
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASXR6
Watched the video a few times and this is only my opinion, the ute in the other lane makes a hard move right off the line and Graham seems to move right at the same time, maybe to avoid the ute? He stays right for most of the track after that and then seems to try and come over after the line, he's out of the groove and the track just isn't there. from memory went through the traps around 130 mph so is down about 10 mph already so I would say he was trying to slow before it actually came around.

I doubt very much he used too much brake as this fella has more experience than any other super sedan racer in WA. The car has been raced since the late 80's with a few upgrades over time and always goes straight.

Definately not got to do with wheelbase and grunt as It's been like this for years and goes like an arrow.

I was in that lane 3 passes before Graham and had a little experince of the groove not being under me either???? My car normally runs 2 or 3 tenths quicker than Graham and about 10-15 mph more. Here's a link.
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=Et0STi2sVbw
Nice driving mate - good save

Hope the other bloke makes a speedy recovery
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2008, 09:56 PM   #11
TruBlu351
3 Pedals R Better Than 2

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has given endless help in the cleveland section over the years. Knows his stuff and happily tests on the track and gives no fuss results. 

Whoa! Yeah, glad to see you kept it off the wall Mike. That would have certainly got your blood pumping!

TruBlu351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2008, 10:23 PM   #12
AndrewR_AUII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not something any of us want to see.... hope all is well in the end.
AndrewR_AUII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2008, 03:18 AM   #13
GASXR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruBlu351
Whoa! Yeah, glad to see you kept it off the wall Mike. That would have certainly got your blood pumping!
I was very lucky, 95% luck and 1% good driving, the other 4% I had my eyes closed. Graham is doing well and his wife (Nancy) Is babying him! He doesn't like it!