Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-11-2008, 12:43 PM   #1
XWGT
Powered by Marshall

Default Can you beleive these CEO's...including Ford?

I couldnt believe me eyes when i read this in The Age this morning.

All 3 CEOs of the major car companies, turned up in Washington to beg for money, having ALL FLOWN IN SEPERATE PRIVATE CORPORATE JETS to the hearings.

Sometimes you truly have to wonder if these companies should survive (and this is coming from a life long rev head performance car and local manufacturing supporter)

http://business.theage.com.au/busine...1120-6cst.html

Old 21-11-2008, 12:45 PM   #2
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

And? Of course they have private jets, nearly every company of that size would.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2008, 12:48 PM   #3
XWGT
Powered by Marshall

And?

Your arriving to beg for $25 billion dollars of tax payers money claiming your all about to go broke......and you all flew seperately.......in your own private jets?

Yes businesses have private jets. They tend to be the ones that are returning positive results.

As one Senator noted........they didnt even bother to jet pool......

I certainly would NOT be happy for Ford Australia to demand tax payer relief if they were flying Melb - Syd via private jet to do it.
Old 21-11-2008, 12:50 PM   #4
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I think that since the government has 'given' cash handouts to the banks, the car companies are looking for the same generosity.

I did hear that when the U.S. banks did receive the bail out cash from the government, they all paid themselves all bonuses. Now that makes me sick.

This is all unconfirmed rumors btw. I heard this from FOX news.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2008, 12:51 PM   #5
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

These guys cost zillions of dollars an hour and are responsible for more than the leaders of most countries.

Do you think it would be a good idea to have them waiting at a commercial airport and then travelling without computer access, direct pabx access and none of their support staff or infrastructure?
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2008, 12:57 PM   #6
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
These guys cost zillions of dollars an hour and are responsible for more than the leaders of most countries.

Do you think it would be a good idea to have them waiting at a commercial airport and then travelling without computer access, direct pabx access and none of their support staff or infrastructure?
I agree. Fancy them having to ride in commercial plane with the plebs. I dont know how they could live with themselves to lower their standards. :P

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2008, 01:24 PM   #7
XWGT
Powered by Marshall

Quote:

Business class not good enough for a domestive flight?

The bottom line is........yes.

And while these leaders may will be responsible for large organisations.....their pocketing $15mill PA for it.....so their hardly struggling. And pocketing $15mill at a times where their organisations are clocking up losses that are truly off the scale.

The basic premise is though.............if you want tax payer funded bail outs......ditch the corporate jet......get your bum on a business class service like 97% of other CEO's and Exec Managers and at least APPEAR to be concerned that your companies are racking up losses that are larger than some countries GDP! And it would probably NOT be a wise thing to mention to people that your have "no option" but to sack 1000's of workers while arriving in 3 different private jets from the same departure city to the same destination city.

When times are good.........go for it. But at least a little humilty while asking the tax payer to bail out your massive failures probably woulndt have gone astray.
Old 21-11-2008, 01:31 PM   #8
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

You do realise that these jets will be all owned/leased so even if they didn't use them they would still be paying?

Also waiting for a domestic flight is usually not feasible for major CEO's, they don't just sit in offices on the phone all day.
Old 21-11-2008, 01:50 PM   #9
dom_105
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Much ado about nothing.

I hope those making the decisions do not take this into account when making them, because one of those three going under will have serious side effects.

So they get million dollar salaies, big deal. They are hardly going to be on 52k a year, and when you have to put up with the headaches of employing 300,000 between them, it puts it into perspective.
dom_105 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2008, 02:03 PM   #10
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No surprise.

Comedy Inc (or one of those shows) did a spoof of a CEO.

The old CEO retires and gets his multimillion dollar payout, while the new CEO comes along, accepts the position, then immediately retires, quoting family life a priority. In turn, he gets his multi-million dollar payout.

Look at the ANZ bank. Its CEO gets ~$250,000 a week, and they have done a poor job of running the bank.

This world rewards incompetence...I am still waiting for mine.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2008, 02:15 PM   #11
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

2 things.

The jet thing was political grandstanding. The US pollies are having a ball brow beating these CEO's.

Warren Buffet, one of the world's richest men, did nicely without a private jet for years. When he finally relented and got one he named it "unjustifiable" or something similar. He pays himself $100k/yr but runs one of the biggest business conglomerates in the world, including ironically a private jet maker or lease company, forget which. All this in a company that makes a huge profit, something like 20% growth since 1980!

The fact is that the big 3 have grossly overpaid executivees who have been visibly and demonstrably failing their companies for decades. Their salaries and perks are totally unjustifiable, but despite their deserving to go broke they are too big for the US gov to allow to go broke. The tug of war will be interesting to watch, we'll see how effective the pollies are in extracting compromises from them.
guzzis3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2008, 02:20 PM   #12
ch33z1l
Dawn

This is what annoys the hell out of me with K Rudd, with his massive bill at APEC meeting in Bali..i think it was. Expenses like $3000 on room service and useless crap like that.

What frustrates me, is that many of our local MP's do alot for the community, but are unwilling to go federal, as they think they can be more beneficial in their local community.
ch33z1l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2008, 02:25 PM   #13
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

I agree, that in hard times offload or reduce your variable and luxury expenses.

Making a loss? Sell your private jet which is funded by the company. This is what the senators were trying to get to.. what are you prepared to do to to help your company. Plus, why don't they cut back their $15 mill salary to say $5 mill per year, which is still alot of money and then get paid the rest on profitability ie. if the company makes a profit they get a bigger pay check. Betya then the private jets would get sold.
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2008, 02:29 PM   #14
XWGT
Powered by Marshall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
You do realise that these jets will be all owned/leased so even if they didn't use them they would still be paying?

Also waiting for a domestic flight is usually not feasible for major CEO's, they don't just sit in offices on the phone all day.
Yes I realsie all of that. I also realise that that CEO of Japan Airlines, one of only a handful of profitable airlines in the world arrives at work everyday, by bus, and is paid an equivalent salary of around $USD 90,000.

I'm by no means saying we all work for nothing. I AM saying however, if your asking the public to bail you out at least ACT humble and grateful. Even if it is for only 12 hours............
Old 21-11-2008, 02:33 PM   #15
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

I'm sorry call me whatever you like as it will hurt many many normal honest hard working employees.
I really hope the US gov don't give any $$ to either of them......
Time has caught up with them and the domestic market especially Nth America is not giving the dividends they for so long have enjoyed riding off its back.
They all have been offering sub standard crap vehicles for so long that the average American has been starting to buy Jap cars who have invested over many years with plants and delivering the goods so to speak. Euros have also been gaining ground.

This is an opportunity for the big 3 to put a broom through their organisations, rationalise and cut the sweet heart deals that has strangled growth.
The wastage and the lack of accountability is a culture in manymany companys especially these 3 dinasaurs.

The US gov are being placed in a very touchy situation as Toyota/Mazda/Honda and whoever else is manufacturing motor cars there will have a right to ask for a hand out as well, they do after all employ Americans as well.

Going to be an interesting outcome. Just my thoughts.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2008, 02:34 PM   #16
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the crazy part would be.. unless they paid them selves bonuses to make that HUGE salary... they would get nearly half of it taken as tax...(minus what ever a good accountant could save)

i think ceo's should be paid a lower salary then get the big $$ when the company makes the big $$ not when they are struggling
Old 21-11-2008, 02:37 PM   #17
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lets analyse this a bit.....

Sell the jet in a time of economic trouble so you can turn a 20++ million dollar asset into maybe 5 million, provided of course you can find a buyer. Yep clever.

Let your very expensive and very important decission makers waste large amounts of time in an airport and then on a commercial flight where they cannot use their phones or network connections. Yep real productive and clever.

Buy extra tickets for their PAs and infrastructure staff and have them waste large amounts of time as above. Yep that is a good way to save.

Ensure all meetings are at destinations that are served by direct flights so you do not have to change planes several times and make sure all meetings coincide with flight schedules and that the aircraft are not late.

Have any of you actually travelled in a corporate jet? It is not like what you see on TV. Corporate aircraft are normally very basic and are usually floating meeting places. A long time ago I actually used to fly one (PA31 not a jet).

Have any of you actually travelled on a jet in USA or Australia other than on holidays? Ever missed tha last flight in or out of Sydney/Tulla/Brisbane and had to spend the night at ridiculous expense and then wasted half the next day as all the mornig flights are booked out?

If someone said that all city people could not drive their cars to work and must take the bus or train to save carbon credits you would all scream your tits off and quote a zillion reason why it can't work.

The average greeny idiot who lives in a commune in a tree would not agree but he would have no idea what he was talking about would he? Except for the greenie members of parlement who would make a huge song and dance for the media so the dumb people would think they actually care.
Old 21-11-2008, 02:39 PM   #18
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

And that, Flappist, sums things up perfectly.
Old 21-11-2008, 02:44 PM   #19
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

I understand what your saying, but it still remains that giving them $15 mill a year, and a jet and a staff hasn't produced a profit. Going to all those terribly important meetings hasn't produced a profit.

The truth is that GM et al would do just as well with a $100k CEO as the $15 mill CEO's they have now. If the company was growing or returning 20% plus per year you could argue the exectutive are value adding. The fact is these managment teams have failed miserably and are still collecting their winnings while simultaneously asking working class taxpayers to subsidise them. IMO...
Old 21-11-2008, 02:50 PM   #20
9triton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: A valued contributor to those hard to answer questions regarding classic falcons. A wealth of knowledge. 

got to agree with flappist as well- , however their is a precedent - lee Iaccoca ( father of the mustang - obligatory ford content!) when he was saving US chrysler in the late 70's:

'Lee Iacocca set the precedent in 1978, when he was chairman of Chrysler. Realizing the automaker was in dire financial straits, Iacocca fired executives and pushed the United Auto Workers to accept salary and benefit cuts. In an effort to lead by example, Iacocca lowered his own salary to $1 a year. Five years later, with a helping hand from the government, the company was restored to financial health.'

although ,i do believe it came with a caveat of a multi million dollar bonus for him when Chrysler was restored to health
9triton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2008, 02:54 PM   #21
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzis3
I understand what your saying, but it still remains that giving them $15 mill a year, and a jet and a staff hasn't produced a profit. Going to all those terribly important meetings hasn't produced a profit.

The truth is that GM et al would do just as well with a $100k CEO as the $15 mill CEO's they have now. If the company was growing or returning 20% plus per year you could argue the exectutive are value adding. The fact is these managment teams have failed miserably and are still collecting their winnings while simultaneously asking working class taxpayers to subsidise them. IMO...
You are kidding right? $100k CEO? What planet is that. $100k is what a coal miner or lower to middle manager in a medium company earns.

Most middle to senior managers I personally know earn 200-400k and I know several people who earn over $1,000,000 per year.

And that is just up here in sunny Hervey Bay.
Old 21-11-2008, 02:55 PM   #22
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Extreemly valid point flappist.

I don't feel that the bloke who started the thread is objecting to the jet itself.

I feel he is objecting to what the jet symbolises.
He just hasn't quite worded his thoughts well enough to convey where he is coming from.
FalconXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2008, 03:04 PM   #23
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

Quote:
You are kidding right? $100k CEO? What planet is that. $100k is what a coal miner or lower to middle manager in a medium company earns.

Most middle to senior managers I personally know earn 200-400k and I know several people who earn over $1,000,000 per year.

And that is just up here in sunny Hervey Bay.
Warren Buffet for one.

I'd probably do it for that provided there was an attractive bonus package based on real metrics. I know several CEO's of smaller companies here in Australia who make that sort of money, less bonuses. I'm an engineer and we are one of the best paid professions, but few engineers make over a mill doing engineering work. Your suggesting that exectutives are more valuable than engineers to a company like GM ? The reality is the salaries are simply an artifact. Every level of managment has to be paid X more than those below them. In a large organisation numbers of those levels get out of control and you end up with ridiculous salaries for executives. It has no bearing on reality.

Are you suggesting that Rick Wagoner adds value to GM equivalent to his renumeration every year ? I'd love to see that case. You'd better be a good QC
Old 21-11-2008, 03:17 PM   #24
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Corporate excess is basically whats under the spotlight. While times were great, people didnt object. But now that they are, the execs want to pass on their increased costs to maintain the bottom line and their pay-packet. Nice each-way bet....

When times are good, you put something aside and have contingencies for when times are not good. For some reason, execs this time around thought the boom would just keep on going on (do they teach economics in an MBA anymore???).

The US is about to lose its car industry if these CEOs are unwilling to make some pretty fundamental changes.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2008, 03:38 PM   #25
XWGT