Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 12:55 PM   #1
phoenix99

Default Following too closely ticket

Today I got pulled over for "following too closely", I didn't realise I was doing this as i was checking over my should numerous times to change lanes. No excuses happy to cop it as I was in the wrong.

The police said it should be a fine under $200. However that was it, I asked about the demerit points he wasn't sure.

Question: is it just a fine or fine with demerit points?

Old 06-04-2010, 01:10 PM   #2
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thought everything came with loss of points
Old 06-04-2010, 01:12 PM   #3
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/cgi-bin/in...bmitButton.y=8

DISTANCE (TAILGATING)
Drive behind other vehicle too closely to stop safely
$338, 3 points

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
Old 06-04-2010, 01:40 PM   #4
phoenix99

i am assuming it varies state to state? I got pulled over in vic
Old 06-04-2010, 01:44 PM   #5
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix99
... I got pulled over in vic
No surprises there
Old 06-04-2010, 02:41 PM   #6
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kia Chaser
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/cgi-bin/in...bmitButton.y=8

DISTANCE (TAILGATING)
Drive behind other vehicle too closely to stop safely
$338, 3 points
In Queensland, it's 1 point and $233

You'd think they'd split the difference and make it 2 points and $300....
Old 06-04-2010, 02:43 PM   #7
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Following too closely? As in tailgating?

Ah well, such is life.

Oo\===/oO
Old 06-04-2010, 02:48 PM   #8
Linkachu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Vic its around $220 and 3 points.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:05 PM   #9
SVTVNM
Guzzler

Reminds me the first fine I ever received as a young P-plate driver was this exact fine, Back in 96'. I was doing 90 behind a car and wanted to overtake but the interceptor behind me was making me nervous because I didnt want to get done for speeding if I overtook. Needless to say I got a bit close to the car infront of me, and I got done. The fine is fair enough but I recon 3 points is a bit harsh IMO.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:01 PM   #10
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor
No surprises there
What do you mean no surprises there?

Cameras cant pull you over. Being pulled over in vic for anything other than having a skyline or being too low is unheard of
Old 06-04-2010, 04:07 PM   #11
phoenix99

i think i have answered my question after a bit of trolling on vicroads

Demerit Point Offences No. of Points

10 points
•Drivers subject to zero BAC# with a BAC of between 0.00% and .05%
•Drivers subject to .05% BAC with a BAC of .05% but less than .07%
•Driving under the influence of illicit drugs

8 Points
•Exceed speed limit by 45km/h or more*

6 points
•Exceed speed limit by 35km/h or more but less than 45km/h*

4 points

•Exceed speed limit by 25km/h or more but less than 35km/h*
•Rail level crossing offence
•Driving fatigue regulated heavy vehicle in contravention of maximum work requirement - critical risk offence
•Driving fatigue regulated heavy vehicle in contravention of minimum rest requirement - critical risk offence

3 points
•Exceed speed limit by 10km/h or more but less than 25km/h*
•Disobey traffic lights, signs or police directing traffic
•Fail to give way or stop
•Drive without wearing a helmet (motorcycle), seat belt, or a properly adjusted and fastened seat belt, or with an unrestrained passenger under 16
•Drive on wrong side of double lines, or divided highway
•Risk colliding with alighting, boarding or waiting tram passengers
•Driving fatigue regulated heavy vehicle while impaired by fatigue
•Driving fatigue regulated heavy vehicle in contravention of maximum work requirement - severe risk offence
•Driving fatigue regulated heavy vehicle in contravention of minimum rest requirement - sever risk offence
•Driving contrary to a major defect notice
•Careless driving
•Using a mobile phone illegally while driving
•Probationary driver who drives a high powered vehicle on a road
•Peer passenger restrictions (P1)
•Driving with an obscured or improperly displayed number plate
•Failure to display P plates

2 points
•Improper overtaking or passing
•Turn or stop without signalling
•Turn improperly
•Fail to keep left

1 point
•Exceed speed limit by less than 10km/h*
•Driving contrary to a minor defect notice
•Fail to dip headlights
•Driving at night without headlights and tail lights on
•Follow too closely

also some other article said it was $158 and 1 demerit point
Old 06-04-2010, 04:50 PM   #12
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
What do you mean no surprises there?

Cameras cant pull you over. Being pulled over in vic for anything other than having a skyline or being too low is unheard of
Damn straight - that's why there's so many people who drive as they like. As long as they aren't going fast enough to get pinged by Constable Kodak, they have little to worry about from the police.

To the OP - as you've admitted and accepted - you've done the wrong thing in the presence of a police car and you got booked. So I'm not having a go at you, you've already copped it and taken it on board. But I've also seen worse stuff go unpunished in the presence of a police car because they weren't speeding.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:30 PM   #13
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

In that list above, some of them are an absolute joke.

Failing to display P plates shouldn't be worth 3 points at all and driving without headights on at night is worth only 1 point? Seriously?

Driving without headlights on at night should be 3 - 4 points ATLEAST!

God I hate Victoria.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:26 PM   #14
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR

Failing to display P plates shouldn't be worth 3 points at all and driving without headights on at night is worth only 1 point? Seriously?

God I hate Victoria.
It's bad in NSW as well, not displaying a P plate is 2 points and $200 FFS! I copped it three times, which is currently half my license gone - one of those times the plates were stolen (not uncommon) and another time the P plate "wasnt displayed properly" as I used the number plate to hold it down.

As for tailgating, I hate *****'s that do this and I'd be happy if it was 20 points and 6 months jail time. I had some idiot do it to me the other night for 20 minutes straight, he would have been no more than a metre behind me for most of the way, combined with random high beaming even though I was doing the limit on cruise control.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:30 PM   #15
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I did an AAMI driving cource (reduces my insurance premium by 10%) and the most valuable lesson from this was a minimum of two seconds between the car infront and your front bumper, though three seconds was much better, double that in harsh weather conditions. People may cut infront of you, meh, let em do it, people like that will learn their lesson sooner or later when the cops start targeting tailgaters. QLD is full of them.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:25 PM   #16
morak001
460 - cubes torque

I got tailgated once too often, several new panels and 1/2 of a paint job later......
The bloke behind me got paid out (write off) from his fully comp. insurance, the bloke tailgating him was uninsured and possibly still paying for two cars after wrapping his radiator neatly around his 3.8 V6.
Could easily have been much worse than a fine and a few demerits.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:48 AM   #17
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Get a fine, definately loose demerit points.

I do tip my hat at you for accepting you did wrong, but it does seem a little harsh coping it from the law, judging by what you said the circumstances were.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
Old 07-04-2010, 03:19 AM   #18
sk8xr8
sliding by you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix99
Today I got pulled over for "following too closely", I didn't realise I was doing this as i was checking over my should numerous times to change lanes. No excuses happy to cop it as I was in the wrong.

The police said it should be a fine under $200. However that was it, I asked about the demerit points he wasn't sure.

Question: is it just a fine or fine with demerit points?

kudos to this bloke for bein a man and not ************!n about it like so many other people, its a rare thing these days to see anyone that actually owns up and cops it on the chin, take my hat off to you.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:19 PM   #19
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljh74
Damn straight - that's why there's so many people who drive as they like. As long as they aren't going fast enough to get pinged by Constable Kodak, they have little to worry about from the police.

To the OP - as you've admitted and accepted - you've done the wrong thing in the presence of a police car and you got booked. So I'm not having a go at you, you've already copped it and taken it on board. But I've also seen worse stuff go unpunished in the presence of a police car because they weren't speeding.
If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:52 PM   #20
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR

God I hate Victoria.
i dont' see the point of displaying p plates. i mean what purpose to they serve other than label you a hoon?
i hated them when i was on p's and they constantly blew off the car.
Old 07-04-2010, 01:00 PM   #21
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
As for tailgating, I hate *****'s that do this and I'd be happy if it was 20 points and 6 months jail time. I had some idiot do it to me the other night for 20 minutes straight, he would have been no more than a metre behind me for most of the way, combined with random high beaming even though I was doing the limit on cruise control.

You weren't sitting in the right lane of a divided highway/freeway were you?

Either way, why didn't you just let them pass?
Old 07-04-2010, 01:49 PM   #22
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Nah, I'm with Adrenaline, if I'm doing the speed limit (most of the time, I'm a few over on the cruise control), then I'm sitting in the right lane on a multi lane road for as long as I see fit.
Old 07-04-2010, 02:01 PM   #23
MAD
Petro-sexual

If someone's going faster move left and let them pass. I dont care if I'm doing 15 over I'm in the left right until I need to move to overtake.
I move to the left as often as possible. Hopefully someone will pick up that I am moving left cause it's what I'm supposed to do, and hopefully they will pass it on to someone, and so on.
Old 07-04-2010, 02:05 PM   #24
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_wif_xf
Nah, I'm with Adrenaline, if I'm doing the speed limit (most of the time, I'm a few over on the cruise control), then I'm sitting in the right lane on a multi lane road for as long as I see fit.

KEEP LEFT UNLESS OVERTAKING

Its the law, albeit a little enforced one. Regardless of the speed your travelling, you should never sit in the right lane.

Sitting in the right lane at the speed limit is one thing, but to do it when there is someone behind you obviously trying to get past... its the height of stupidity.
Old 07-04-2010, 02:13 PM   #25
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Hopefully only when the speed limit is 80 or less unless otherwise signposted...?
Old 07-04-2010, 02:17 PM   #26
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized
KEEP LEFT UNLESS OVERTAKING

Its the law, albeit a little enforced one. Regardless of the speed your travelling, you should never sit in the right lane.

Sitting in the right lane at the speed limit is one thing, but to do it when there is someone behind you obviously trying to get past... its the height of stupidity.
Yeah I know, I'm just doing my bit to keep everyone at the speed limit :P
Old 07-04-2010, 02:23 PM   #27
jcxr
Tribal Elder

The points loss for driving a high powered car must have only just come in recently, my young fella got done in my XR8 ute 6 months ago, no loss of points, only a fine approx $250'ish. This was in Vic.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:38 AM   #28
dave289
Banned

Quote:
tools who do this should be barred from the road for at least 5 five years :thebirds:
Old 09-04-2010, 09:03 AM   #29
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If we did that we would have relatively quiet roads. i see right lane hogs every day of every week i even followed a l plater for over 15kms in the right lane of a freeway about 10kms under the posted limit on at least three different occasions. I had to eventually use the left lane to pass as did many others. Now what do you think this young man is going to think is normal when he gets his licence ?????
If only the police would enforce the keep left unless overtaking we may all have better manners
GT450
Old 09-04-2010, 09:23 AM   #30
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Your one of the reasons road rage exists then with that attitude,you fool
Closed Thread