Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-12-2015, 02:52 AM   #1
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Default Parallel imports for second-hand models shelved over safety concerns.

Quote:
Government scraps proposal for cheap overseas cars

Parallel imports for second-hand models shelved over safety concerns.

David McCowen
30 November, 2015

The Federal Government has dropped plans allowing second-hand cars to be imported into Australia. Photo: Graham Tidy

Car industry insiders have credited the change in Federal Government leadership for scrapping a proposal allowing second-hand cars overseas to be imported into Australia.

The Federal Government led by former Prime Minister Tony Abbott and treasurer Joe Hockey put forward proposals allowing local motorists to import new and used cars from foreign markets outside established dealer and manufacturer networks.

Car industry insiders say the government under new treasurer Scott Morrison and Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull was more open to consultation. Photo: Andrew Meares

Automotive executives reportedly struggled to communicate with government leaders until the new Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull and treasurer Scott Morrison took over in September.

The revised government's 52-page response to the Harper Review for competition policy dropped plans to allow people to import cheap second-hand cars.

"Following consultation as part of the review of the Motor Vehicles Standards Act 1989 and having regard to consumer protection and community safety concerns, the Government has decided not to proceed with reducing parallel import restrictions on second‐hand cars at this time," the report said.

An industry insider who did not want to be named credited the change of heart to a new culture in Canberra set in place by the Turnbull Government.

The automotive executive said the government "actually listened, and learned about the industry" rather than pursuing its agenda.

"Certainly the government is listening," they said.

Representatives from most leading car companies have worked with the government to convey safety and security concerns surrounding parallel imports.

Cars sourced from overseas markets often have a different level of standard specification to local cars, and may be missing airbags and other safety features fitted as standard to local models. The National Motor Vehicle Theft Reduction Council also said there was a "potential for very serious consequences to arise" if criminal groups could steal cars overseas and sell them locally.

While the government has ruled out second-hand imports, the introduction of new cars in parallel to established manufacturer arrangements is still up for debate.

Multiple sources within the car industry suggest the government is unlikely to introduce legislation allowing motorists to source their own new cars from overseas rather than local dealer groups, though the issue "is not done and dusted".

http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/g...30-glbbfi.html
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2015, 07:52 AM   #2
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Default Re: Parallel imports for second-hand models shelved over safety concerns.

Let us get our new cars from wherever we want. Hiluxes and rangers should be $30k for top of the line, considering where they are built. You can buy a 3.2 Ranger XLT 6spd for $30k in Malaysia, even after their high import tariffs.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2015, 09:14 AM   #3
Trump
bitch lasagne

Default Re: Parallel imports for second-hand models shelved over safety concerns.

And this was a surprise?

And will it be a surprise when they say no to parallel imports of new cars?
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2015, 09:24 AM   #4
pursuit2359

Not surprising at all: vested interests win out over consumers, most of whom don't know how they would benefit.

There are probably greater priorities, but I doubt if they'll be addressed before the next election.
pursuit2359 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2015, 11:20 AM   #5
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Not surprising. A lot of overseas cars may not meet our ADR's.

Many years ago I saw a brand new Right hand drive SAAB at SAAB's HQ in Melb, it was imported from their factory in Sweden but couldn't be registered in Vic for that very reason.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:31 PM   #6
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Many years ago that would have been true, now I doubt there are any 'real' differences other than say child seat restraints and maybe some detail requirements for lights etc.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2015, 04:41 PM   #7
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate imported a few early American cars and when he took what I think was an early 60s Cadillac Coup De Ville (or something like that) to Regency for inspection they said they could not approve it as it had aftermarket seat belts that were not ADR compliant.

When he asked what was wrong with the belts they told him probably nothing and in fact the belts likely meet/exceed ADRs but had not been tested to ADRs.

Because the car was manufactured before seatbelts were made mandatory they told him to remove the seat belts - he promptly removed the belts in the car park, and they then approved it as he had made it 'safe' as per ADRs.
Iggle Piggle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-12-2015, 04:58 PM   #8
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

if its a used car it needs a RWC. If it's safe it will pass. End of story.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2015, 06:57 PM   #9
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia
You can buy a 3.2 Ranger XLT 6spd for $30k in Malaysia, even after their high import tariffs.
Have you read the specs? Malaysia Wildtrack is not the same as what we get here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute View Post
Many years ago that would have been true, now I doubt there are any 'real' differences other than say child seat restraints and maybe some detail requirements for lights etc.
Sorry but incorrect.
Emissions, corrosion protection and even body structure are tailored depending on the market/plant, just to name a few
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2015, 07:22 PM   #10
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by superroo View Post
Have you read the specs? Malaysia Wildtrack is not the same as what we get here.

Sorry but incorrect.
Emissions, corrosion protection and even body structure are tailored depending on the market/plant, just to name a few

This is the Malaysia spec of current updated ranger. Looks pretty well specced to me? I don't see what else I would be missing for roughly $35k. Made in the same factory in Thighland as our rip off local model too...
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2015, 07:45 PM   #11
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post

This is the Malaysia spec of current updated ranger. Looks pretty well specced to me? I don't see what else I would be missing for roughly $35k. Made in the same factory in Thighland as our rip off local model too...
Your price must be for a lower spec Ranger, Thai Wildtraks retail between AUD $41,100 to $44,000, add import duties & you will find that it is not that much cheaper.

This link will show you Thai prices, check with a currency converter will show AUD prices.
https://www.ford.co.th/en/trucks/new...8961874#step=1
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2015, 07:59 PM   #12
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Pollution would be one of the main reasons, like ERG valves aren't required in some countries.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2015, 08:19 PM   #13
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool Re: Parallel imports for second-hand models shelved over safety concerns.

I remember back in the nineties you could import a 30ZX
but couldnt register it for safety reasons
the one I remember the most was that they didnt have
intrusion bars in the doors and the tyres werent up to AU specs
but the silly thing was if you crashed your AU 30ZX and
required a new second hand door you could go to the Jap wreckers
and pick up an almost new door (minus the intrusion bar)
the same with some almost new mags and tyres
which defeated the purpose for the rules
just my memories
thanks John
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 02-12-2015, 12:34 AM   #14
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

I just wish they would expand the range of cars that we currently can import to a wider range. I have always wanted a Subaru Forester STI but there's no Subarus on the list at all. What about the countries that have a higher safety std to us. Can't tell me the government wasn't offered a new fleet price list as a gesture of good will if they canned the import laws. Bloody new C class merc is twice the price it is in Europe and the U.S.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:51 AM   #15
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBROO View Post
Pollution would be one of the main reasons, like ERG valves aren't required in some countries.
not only that some countrys still use asbestos friction materials .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2015, 11:12 AM   #16
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

it doesn't have to be an open door policy to allow all the crap into the country, but UK and Japanese cars all meet or exceed the same requirements Aussie cars have to meet.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2015, 11:48 AM   #17
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The tyres thing is weird. My understanding is in most cases the 'overseas' tyres do meet/exceed the actual load and speed ratings we require on the vehicle locally - the reason the tyres have to be replaced is they don't display the load and speed ratings on the tyre wall.

With older cars there can be a long list of things like side intrusion bars etc that needed to be attended to, but for most of the more recently built cars I think it is pretty much a case of dropping all fluids and gas before it gets on the boat, replacing the tyres when it gets here (and fluids/gas), child anchor points if required (not sure if this is even needed now for Isofix vehicles), and then giving it a local VIN and stickers.

Probably over-simplifying things a bit in terms of compliance, and the actual process from overseas auction to your driveway involves a hell of a lot, which is why I'd always recommend going through a reputable import agent like Iron Chef, J-Spec or Prestige Motorsport. Anyone I know that has gone through one of those 3 has had much win - two guys I know that tried to save a bit over a grand by doing it all themselves have had much head ****s and probably more than the agent fees added along the way.
Iggle Piggle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2016, 11:39 PM   #18
sr71

Just read that this is getting the green light by Federal Government. Announcements to be made tomorrow.
sr71 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2016, 11:57 PM   #19
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Gotta link?
Old 09-02-2016, 11:59 PM   #20
sr71

http://www.motoring.com.au/governmen...mports-101204/
sr71 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2016, 12:04 AM   #21
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Thanks sr71

Quote:
Government backflips on parallel imports

9 February, 2016

Federal Government set to green light parallel imports in surprise announcement

The Federal Government is set to open Australia’s new car marketplace to parallel imports motoring.com.au believes Paul Fletcher, the Minister for Territories, Local Government and Major Projects will announce the decision tomorrow.

If correct, the backflip comes just two months after the Malcolm Turnbull led Liberal government rejected the idea.

The proposal of parallel imports via which individuals and businesses can import new cars without the current ADR and Motor Vehicles Standards Act (MVSA) regulatory controls was part of the Competition Policy (Harper) Review.

Under former prime minister Tony Abbott, the government appeared receptive to lifting restrictions on parallel importation, as recommended by the Productivity Commission and broadly supported by the ACCC. Then in late November 2015 the Turnbull government opted not to accept the recommendation. This was outlined in its ‘Response to the Competition Policy Review‘ .

Tomorrow’s tipped announcement has already been characterised by some as “a slap in the face for the PM”.

motoring.com.au contacted Minister Fletcher’s office this evening requesting an interview. No reply had been received as this article was published.

Industry sources motoring.com.au contacted this evening were unaware of the move.

Tony Weber, Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries Chief Executive refused to confirm or deny knowledge of the impending announcement.

“I can’t comment,” he said.

To date consumers and the industry alike have been vocal on the issue of parallel imports.

Lobbyists suggest it will reduce the price of new cars, however, the FCAI and other industry groups say only the buyers of the most expensive makes and models will benefit.

Official importers say parallel imports opens the floodgates for low-specification vehicles and potentially impacts safety and other aspects – both in terms of the vehicles themselves and servicing infrastructure and the like.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:32 AM   #22
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.theguardian.com/business/...m-japan-and-uk

Focus ST wagon anyone ?
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2016, 08:40 AM   #23
Sioso
irregular member

There will be an imported Porsche in my garage come 2018.
And I won't be paying triple what everyone else in the world pays.
Watch Porsche Australia's prices begin to tumble........
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2016, 08:57 AM   #24
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68 View Post
My brother has just bought one, ST3 in Tangerine Scream.
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2016, 09:22 AM   #25
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

You can make any case you like to support your argument.

For example,

Wouldn't a 2-3 year old car from Japan be safer than a 10 year old car in Australia that has not had a safety inspection for years?

Or

We can't have these cast off from overseas. They are cheap and nasty and do not comply with ADRs. Criminal elements will steal them and sell them to poor unsuspecting stupid idiots in Australia.
Cav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2016, 09:47 AM   #26
Trump
bitch lasagne

Parallel imports for brand new cars is fantastic. The idea of a $80K C63 as opposed to the current $160k is very tempting.
Old 10-02-2016, 10:37 AM   #27
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud_Noises View Post
Parallel imports for brand new cars is fantastic. The idea of a $80K C63 as opposed to the current $160k is very tempting.
Where do you find new RHD C63 for 80 k ?
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2016, 11:04 AM   #28
Trump
bitch lasagne

Before on-roads and the VAT, they cost about 46k GBP. So make it $100k here, that's $60k better than the current sticker price.
Old 10-02-2016, 11:45 AM   #29
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Rather than merge the two threads media releases are in this thread....

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11447694
Old 10-02-2016, 11:48 AM   #30
Deo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud_Noises View Post
Before on-roads and the VAT, they cost about 46k GBP. So make it $100k here, that's $60k better than the current sticker price.
Tripping if you think the Govt isn't still going to hit you up for Luxury Car Tax.

Sent from my GTi-9305 using bloody Tapatalk
MC Ink Blue Diesel Hatch
Deo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post