Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-05-2013, 06:29 AM   #1
Kevxr8Leexr6

Default Nolathane bushes, life span?

10 year ago my uncle fitted his EA SPAC with nolathane red bushes all round. has only seen the track about a dozen times and has sat idle for 4 years. when I started checking all the driveline suspension (nut an bolt check) worn parts etc, found the swaybar bushes were crumbling and near gone. ive had 23 years in the xr8 with the standard black bushes so have the nolathane bushes have a useby date .

Kevxr8Leexr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2013, 07:59 AM   #2
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Nolathane bushes, life span?

I had poly bushes in my rear control arms of my EB but they lasted about 1 month, got onto the company they kept sending me more for free but they didn't last so in the end they send race quality parts but i sold the car without fitting them. next time i will just use rubber ones.
EB was a turbo V8 so had a bit of torque handy.
I have use poly in my old patrol with leaf springs and that squeaked all the time even after using the correct grease.
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2013, 08:06 AM   #3
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nolathane bushes have to be used - it's the sitting idle for 4 years that killed them.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 15-05-2013, 08:21 AM   #4
Kevxr8Leexr6

Cheers for the replys guys. sittin around sure is a killer then . used superpro in the wifes xr6 and it seems ok after 3 1/5 years now. but as im using this car for track an hillclimb I wanted to use nolathane .
Old 15-05-2013, 09:06 AM   #5
big_landau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If they get contamintated with oil fuel etc,if they do they break down real quick.
big_landau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2013, 10:43 AM   #6
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive found if they are fitted at ride height and lubed prperly they last for ages IF the car is being used, for some reason thogh if you park the car up for a while they'll crumble as soon as you start usning it again

I have to say I prefer rubber as a personal choice though

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2013, 02:46 PM   #7
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I prefer rubber bushes as they don't squawk around the time of wet weather. The sound disappears in dry weather though.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-05-2013, 03:35 PM   #8
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm a bit of a factory rubber fan myself, still have all of the original bushes in the au except for what came with konis, 12 years still in service hard to beat.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2013, 09:41 PM   #9
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Replace mine every two years..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2013, 10:49 PM   #10
Olbucko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I fitted Nolethane bushes to my XM in 1987, they were ok for about 20 years before they started to crumble. I replaced the last of them last month with blue Superpro bushes.

I think I will crumble long before they do.
Old 17-05-2013, 12:34 AM   #11
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You will be hard pressed to beat rubber bushes, they will last longer and be a better ride with less squeaks and rattles.

I avoid the Nolathane and similar as much as possible.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2013, 10:25 AM   #12
MR.BA.GT.332
Now in the quad cam zone

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all his work in the project section. Awesome effort. 

im about to install nolathane again into my XA with my new suspension, i want to try the nolathane with the new springs and setup, if its too harsh etc i'll use rubber.... thing im worried about is they done give you enough grease with the nolathane, what type of grease is it and where can i get some more of it?

"BARNEY" 2003 BA GT #332, Phantom, Boss 290, FR20 Simmons. XYZ Brakes - 355mm Rotors - 8piston Front Calipers & 4piston Rear More Mods soon!!
MR.BA.GT.332 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2013, 10:31 AM   #13
Kevxr8Leexr6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_460bigblock View Post
im about to install nolathane again into my XA with my new suspension, i want to try the nolathane with the new springs and setup, if its too harsh etc i'll use rubber.... thing im worried about is they done give you enough grease with the nolathane, what type of grease is it and where can i get some more of it?
Grease came with all the bushes I bought. no squeaks or anything since putting a new lot in yesty. but with some of the answers above. being a track car im worried they will perish as its not used as a daily.
Old 19-05-2013, 08:35 PM   #14
Xauterus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think if you are fitting the urethane bushes you are looking for increased stiffness. I am looking for that and would be prepared to replace them more regularly to keep that stiffness.

The rubber ones appear to last a long time but how long do they keep their factory stiffness? Bushes on a car a consumable that needs to be replaced as required.
Xauterus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2013, 09:28 PM   #15
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Back '87 when I was punting an EA around Lakeside, the original rubber bushes lasted a few laps before they were cactus. I put Nolathane in and they lasted till the car died.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2013, 09:29 PM   #16
GTP-RPD
GTP-RPD

Got nolathane on the top arms of the ED. Squeaky and creaky as hell. Going to go for the super pro for a change Heard they are better. Any thoughts guys, I have been told they are more aligned to rubber. Not as hard as nolathane.
GTP-RPD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2013, 08:05 AM   #17
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP-RPD View Post
Got nolathane on the top arms of the ED. Squeaky and creaky as hell. Going to go for the super pro for a change Heard they are better. Any thoughts guys, I have been told they are more aligned to rubber. Not as hard as nolathane.
No different in the noise dept imo, no matter how much white grease you throw on em, creak's will come back eventually (1 or 2 months) In saying that, in your application you could have a better outcome though.

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2013, 04:16 PM   #18
Nolathane

Hi all,

We seen this post and thought we could answer some questions to the forum users.

First of all an easy answer to the grease question, we do supply grease but you can use any lithium or molydenm base grease (basically what they use in CV joints ).

About the harshness over rubber . There are different versions available on certain models but on average we use 75 duro and that is not much firmer than rubber . Allot of what we are reading is about many years ago when urethane technology was new and yes in some cases quite firm.

We did notice a few posts about sitting the bushings and crumbling. This is a thing of the past from many years ago when the product was first developed.

Nolathane and other companies got the technology from overseas and did testing on many cycles and in cars to see its durability. no one thought of actually just sitting it not used as the parts we sell are for moving parts in a motor vehicle. The crumbling mainly occured from cars sitting in sheds not being used and more often humid conditions.

Since this time urethane technology has changed to be stronger, softer and smarter and we use a different formula that imitates rubber in ride quality but is allot more durable . The new formula will not crumble and we are now that confident we introduced a lifetime warranty for the time you own the car. For a restorer this would be a very long time so you can be confident!

Check out the warranty policy here http://www.nolathane.com.au/warranty_register.php.

If you have any further questions or would like to know more about the product please email us sales@redranger.com.au as we are not on here too often and the email will be answered within 24hrs except weekends

Thank you
Nolathane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 21-05-2013, 04:20 PM   #19
Nolathane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
No different in the noise dept imo, no matter how much white grease you throw on em, creak's will come back eventually (1 or 2 months) In saying that, in your application you could have a better outcome though.

cheers, Maka
We do not use or supply white grease so this could be the issue with the creaking.

Try lithium or moly grease that is dark gray (the grease used in CV joints ) as this usually lasts for very long periods if not the life of the bushing
Old 21-05-2013, 04:26 PM   #20
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolathane View Post
We do not use or supply white grease so this could be the issue with the creaking.

Try lithium or moly grease that is dark gray (the grease used in CV joints ) as this usually lasts for very long periods if not the life of the bushing
Is that grease OK to use with Nolathane bushes? Good to know.
Old 22-05-2013, 06:58 AM   #21
Kevxr8Leexr6

Quote:
Hi all,

We seen this post and thought we could answer some questions to the forum users.

First of all an easy answer to the grease question, we do supply grease but you can use any lithium or molydenm base grease (basically what they use in CV joints ).

About the harshness over rubber . There are different versions available on certain models but on average we use 75 duro and that is not much firmer than rubber . Allot of what we are reading is about many years ago when urethane technology was new and yes in some cases quite firm.

We did notice a few posts about sitting the bushings and crumbling. This is a thing of the past from many years ago when the product was first developed.

Nolathane and other companies got the technology from overseas and did testing on many cycles and in cars to see its durability. no one thought of actually just sitting it not used as the parts we sell are for moving parts in a motor vehicle. The crumbling mainly occured from cars sitting in sheds not being used and more often humid conditions.

Since this time urethane technology has changed to be stronger, softer and smarter and we use a different formula that imitates rubber in ride quality but is allot more durable . The new formula will not crumble and we are now that confident we introduced a lifetime warranty for the time you own the car. For a restorer this would be a very long time so you can be confident!

Check out the warranty policy here http://www.nolathane.com.au/warranty_register.php.

If you have any further questions or would like to know more about the product please email us sales@redranger.com.au as we are not on here too often and the email will be answered within 24hrs except weekends

Thank you
Feel like apologising after reading your post as I honestly didn't know you guys were on this site. but I do thankyou for taking the time to explain and put us all on the right track. having replaced all in the Spac and only bought them new a week ago I can now rest easy . Regards Kevin
Old 22-05-2013, 07:57 AM   #22
Nolathane

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
Is that grease OK to use with Nolathane bushes? Good to know.
We suggest only the supplied grease or lithium, molydemn base grease . any others can shorten the life if the bushing or change its integrity and cause creaking etc.
Old 22-05-2013, 08:00 AM   #23
Nolathane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevxr8Leexr6 View Post
Feel like apologising after reading your post as I honestly didn't know you guys were on this site. but I do thankyou for taking the time to explain and put us all on the right track. having replaced all in the Spac and only bought them new a week ago I can now rest easy . Regards Kevin
Hi Kevin,

Drop us an email and we are sure we can replace these bushings with the new formula for you.
Either way we can explain further and or give you something for the inconvenience of the old design.

No need to apologise we like the feedback positive or negative thank you.
Old 22-05-2013, 09:26 AM   #24
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:

Thanks for the headsup Nolathane. I will submit that it wasnt your actual product but a competitors product lol! Will look at your product more closely next time - what was the AFF members discount again? Only joking

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Old 22-05-2013, 05:58 PM   #25
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

After reading through the op again, yes it seems i'm now one of the hundreds of people who have mixed up Nolathane with any old automotive urethane bushing product. My apologies to Nolathane for the faux paus!

cheers, Maka