Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 01-08-2007, 09:05 PM   #1
Tj-zetec
Knows nothing. Apparently

Default looking for go-fast bits

gday, i'm new and i'm looking for info..

I own a 2002 Zetec and i'm looking to mod it. Nothing too serious, just a few bolt on parts.
the last few months i've been doing a lot of reading of overseas forums like focaljet.com and focusfanatics.com as well as flicking though focussport.com wishing i had the money to get stuff shipped from there (esp the blower kits).

Essentially i'm looking for a cold air intake and exhaust.
the only cold air kit that i can find in the country is a K&N Typhoon which i've priced though rocket industries which seems ok, but i'm looking for other options. i know revolution racegear have the pipercross viper but $600+ seems too much for an intake (unless one of you can convince me it's worth it.)

The other is the exhaust.
What i do know: Herrod make a cat back but not a cat or headers. and a website infocusmotorsport.com.au have complete kits there but i still want to shop around.
What i don't know: where else (in sydney pref) does headers for the focus or any other part of the system for that matter.
also, aside from price, what would be the difference between getting a shorty or 'street' header, hiflow cat and cat back, or long or 'race' headers + flex pipe then etc...

any info, even just names of businesses will be appreciated.
sorry for the long post and bombardment of silly questions you've probly been asked a million times.

Tj-zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2007, 09:18 PM   #2
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Hey mate..

my sujestion is to get your hands on a ST170 snorkel and a BMC CDA panel Filter..for your intake.

they produce the best results for the car.

Exhaust wise. you should be looking at going to HItech mufflers in darlinghurst. They are of top quality and they can do you a FULL exhaust system including Extractors, Sports cat and Exhaust.

That or you can go to Liverpool Exhaust. they are good as well. both highly recomendable places. Both places guarentee increase in power and power. should also look at getting a bluefin or dreamscience to tune it once you have done those mods. should give the car a nice pick up.

Other wise look at www.european-parts.net as they have cheap shipping to AUS

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2007, 10:20 PM   #3
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Ditto. Hi Tech mufflers. They actually manufactured the Herrod kits. Beautiful work

I have the Pipercross Viper and swear by it. 6.7% power increase dyno proven on my car (was fitted with 2.25" catback) I got it cheaper through Fabre (adam@fabre.com.au) Don't know if they still carry it but worth asking.

The brits reckon a BMC CDA unit is better still but is exy.

ST170 (SVT) header is best (Cosworth design), but you'll need to fit new dipstick tube and play around with power steering line. Would also require hi flow cat and flexpipe (to match catback) McNews Automtive in the states. Prices are getting better with the exchange rate
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2007, 10:23 PM   #4
b2tf
not here much anymore

K&N Typhoon system is not a straight fit (requires modification to fit the MAF sensor) as its designed for a US Focus SVT, which is different to what you have.

That, and even if you can get it to fit, apart from being a bit noisy, they do SFA.

RE Herrod gear for Foci, he made some for a limited run of Foci that Ford asked him to hot up, but it's baiscally impossible to get anything from Herrod to suit an LR Focus, I asked him back when I had mine (over 18mnths now) and he had nothing.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:49 PM   #5
melbzetec

A second thought on intakes. A full SVT (ST170) airbox and snorkel is now reasonably affordable from the states. Given it's capable of providing sufficient air for 170hp, probably your best choice, and spend the extra on the exhaust system.

And make sure you have clear ST170 side indicators! Worth an extra 10kW, plus the Foci Police will pull you over if you don't have them. It is the compulsory first mod!!
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.

Old 04-08-2007, 10:24 AM   #6
Tj-zetec

Thanks for the info!, and ta for the heads up with the typhoon. i found out from K&N a little after i made this post that the typhoon for focus is only a short ram and i really don't want one of those. especially for summer.
i've started making calls about the pippercross. called revolution racegear and fabre and i'm still waiting for fabre to call me back.

and i'm definatley gonna talk to hitech mufflers.

Thanks again for the help. i'll keep you posted on how it all goes
Old 04-08-2007, 10:44 AM   #7
Tj-zetec

*Also*
I had thought about the ST170 (svt) header option but the only info i can find on it is in an american forum and they appear to have quite a bit of trouble doing it. I don't know if the euro engines are any different. is it worth doing battle with it or am i better off (not factoring cost) taking it to someone who knows what they're doing and let them go right through it
Old 04-08-2007, 04:17 PM   #8
melbzetec

The US have more trouble than us. They have an EGR tube that goes from the header back into the crankcase on the Zetec engine but not the SVT engine (recirculates exhaust gases. An emissions issue)

Our Zetec engine goes not have the EGR tube, so therfore it is simpler.

I ordered the Zetec kit from McNews Automotive, but then had to plug the EGR boss in the header.

So what you would need is the SVT or ST170 header, highflow cat (McNews can sell you the Random Technology one, but a local exhaust fitter can probably fit one up for you), and an SVT dipstick tube (different position). then the only trick is to rotate the power steering hose out of the way.

McNews Automotive (google it) can sell you the whole kit, just tell them you don't need the EGR fitting.

I also fitted a 2.25' flexpipe to match up with the 2.25" catback.

I would reckon if you got the SVT/ST170 header and dipstick tube, Hi Tech could do the rest.

Old 04-08-2007, 04:45 PM   #9
b2tf
not here much anymore

From memory (and its been a long time since I messed with one of these things), the Foci over here are the German ones and therefore has a fair few different things from the US version in terms of what will fit etc - the Typhoon Intake being one obvious example.
Old 04-08-2007, 05:02 PM   #10
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Isnt it the ST170 intake?

Ill be getting the ST170 snorkel, BMC panel Filter,

and ill be getting Hitech to do a 2.5" cat back exhaust mandrel bent with twin mufflers. and a 3.5" slash cut tip.

only for mild performance. just setting up for the next mod that will happen by the end of the year

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2007, 10:35 AM   #11
Tj-zetec

i spoke to the guys at HiTech yesterday and they said they were gonna fabricate their own headers. Having said that, is it still worth relocating the dipstick tube? does it effect the shape of the headers in a way that causes problems with fit or performance (i can't see how it would effect the performace in any real noticeable manner but there's only one way to get answers to these silly questions)