Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 07-09-2016, 01:46 PM   #1
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 
Default Severe duty engine oil change interval - AU i6

Hi fellow AU i6 owners, two questions for you - what's the factory recommended severe duty engine oil change interval & the oil capacity for i6's increased for series 2 & on for the i6. My question is, was the capacity of the sump increased or Ford just adding a extra 1/2 litre of motor oil for the new recommendation?

All replies most welcome, TIA!!!

cheer's, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2016, 07:50 PM   #2
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Severe duty engine oil change interval - AU i6

Hello Maka,

interesting questions! No mention of severe in the "New model introduction AU Series II" Ford training manual March 2000 version 1.
Just the 500mL increase in oil quantity and revised dipstick for AUII.
cheers
Bill.
This user likes this post:
Old 08-09-2016, 08:36 PM   #3
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Hi Bill M, thanks heaps for the info mate! Yeah I couldn't find anything on Ford Australia's recommendations on severe duty cycle either just the normal 10,000km / 15,0000km or 12 months recommendation. Usually you halve the normal interval for when you put your engine through sustained hi revs, short stops, towing etc, my driving lately involves a bit of short stop stuff & it got me thinking If there was a factory recommendation for our AU's. I thought I would ask the question to members to see if they knew.

I've been wondering for a while if there was a actual sump size increase for AU2 & onwards i6's & tbh I didn't think Ford would reengineer the sump for 500mil of extra engine oil. I run the extra 1/2 litre now but I'm careful not to put anymore in just in case as my AU is a series 1 = 5 litres standard fill. Any other AU 1 owners running a extra half litre of engine oil too?

Thanks again for confirming those questions Bill, very much appreciated!!!

cheer's, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Old 09-09-2016, 01:04 PM   #4
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

I never even knew there was a 500ml capacity increase.

I remember just chucking a whole 5L bottle in ELs, AU1s and AUII's.

5000k is a good change interval for a car running on petrol doing short trips. You can extend this out to 10k for a petrol car doing easy, operating temp driving, or a Gas car doing short trips. 15k for a gas car doing easy trips is fine too.
3 users like this post:
Old 09-09-2016, 03:54 PM   #5
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Hi Mr Hardware, thanks for your wise words!!! Most car owners are potentially asking for trouble if their engine never gets to temp & they service it with the normal recommended oci. Common sense to the more informed, but to most, short stop stuff is normal usage lol.

Throw in the fact most of those cars are dealer or mechanic serviced, its pretty critical for those owners to know what actual engine oil has been thrown in spec wise.. Food for thought lol!!!

cheer's, Maka

Old 09-09-2016, 04:09 PM   #6
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
Hi Bill M, thanks heaps for the info mate! Yeah I couldn't find anything on Ford Australia's recommendations on severe duty cycle either just the normal 10,000km / 15,0000km or 12 months recommendation. Usually you halve the normal interval for when you put your engine through sustained hi revs, short stops, towing etc, my driving lately involves a bit of short stop stuff & it got me thinking If there was a factory recommendation for our AU's. I thought I would ask the question to members to see if they knew.

I've been wondering for a while if there was a actual sump size increase for AU2 & onwards i6's & tbh I didn't think Ford would reengineer the sump for 500mil of extra engine oil. I run the extra 1/2 litre now but I'm careful not to put anymore in just in case as my AU is a series 1 = 5 litres standard fill. Any other AU 1 owners running a extra half litre of engine oil too?

Thanks again for confirming those questions Bill, very much appreciated!!!

cheer's, Maka
just trying to think what my sump capacity is , 5 litres wont do it , about 5.5 ish on my s2 xr6 ish .
have you had a look at your car manual ? i would be surprised if it didnt get a mention .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2016, 04:34 PM   #7
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Hi mik, thanks for your reply!!! Yes its in my manual & I did know the specific oil fill capacities lol all good. We are mainly chatting about AU i6's severe duty oil change intervals & what's Ford's spec plus if the sump was made bigger in AU S2's & 3's i6's or Ford just upped the amount of oil & changed dipsticks.

Like Bill said & I agree wholeheartedly its a interesting subject, I don't mind a good oil debate, you always learn something new lol!!!

cheer's, Maka

Old 09-09-2016, 05:50 PM   #8
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi Maka , I`m pretty sure i read when i first got my baby in the owners manual somewhere about severe duty and oil changes , sorry the brain hard drive doesnt hold the data as good as it once did , if i find the car manuals (probably put it where i wont forget it ) i will see what i can see and let you know..
Old 09-09-2016, 08:51 PM   #9
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
Hi Maka , I`m pretty sure i read when i first got my baby in the owners manual somewhere about severe duty and oil changes , sorry the brain hard drive doesnt hold the data as good as it once did , if i find the car manuals (probably put it where i wont forget it ) i will see what i can see and let you know..
Np probs mik that would awesome if you can post it up. It would be some nice rare info, there's nothing on the net about AU i6 severe duty oil change intervals that we can find. Good luck & thanks for getting back to us mate!!!

Ps, nothing to be sorry about mik, time does silly things to us as we get older lol!!!

cheers, Maka

Old 09-09-2016, 10:24 PM   #10
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

what was the normal service interval for EL/AUI models? As there was a lot of carry-over between the 2 of them.

I was under the impression the sump capacities got larger for the longer service intervals more than anything. And from memory in the AUII extreme/severe intervals were at 7500km in the service/maintenance additional booklet.

I used to do it at 5000km ... which worked out to once a month for me when I was doing courier work with the AUII and the BFII as well. And easier to remember as well.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2016, 10:14 AM   #11
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Thanks for your response & info Mechan1k, very much appreciated!!! If there's anyone who knows about severe duty intervals is you mate!!!

I'll have a look for some SD oci's for hybrid EL i6's, I haven't seen nothing on the net for AU's as yet. I will post up info if I find some.

cheer's, Maka

Old 10-09-2016, 08:18 PM   #12
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I do remember reading it "somewhere" ... but has been a while since I moved the AU on though. Pretty sure there was a "C" service listed in the Maintenance and Specs supplement ... let me have a dig around and see
Old 13-09-2016, 09:26 PM   #13
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry for the delay , its not a lot , but it pretty much sums it up i think , mechanic is on the money , i`ll put the page up anyway , if i find more i`ll throw it up also ..
Old 13-09-2016, 09:27 PM   #14
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

bugger its unreadable , , another go incoming .
Old 13-09-2016, 09:31 PM   #15
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ok i can do betterer
2 users like this post:
Old 13-09-2016, 09:33 PM   #16
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sorry for the quality, i think its readable at least this time :( .
2 users like this post:
Old 14-09-2016, 10:01 AM   #17
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Its all good mik, thanks heaps for posting the page up, you done well finding that page mate!!! I will look & see if we can zoom in & take a screenshot shot & repost it if we need to. Fingers crossed!!!

Edit - just had a look & its fine, I can read it nice & clearly np!!!
That's a bit of AU gold there mik, a thousand thank you's to you mate, your a legend!!!

cheer's, Maka

Last edited by Maka; 14-09-2016 at 10:08 AM.
Old 14-09-2016, 10:28 AM   #18
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Ok, for those wondering, the official severe duty engine oci for AU i6's is 7500km or 6 months. Please click on the photo scan in mik's post for more factory AU Ford i6 severe duty oci's info for engine, gearbox, diff, cooling, brakes. Awesome work mik!!!

cheer's, Maka

Old 14-09-2016, 09:47 PM   #19
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks Maka , and your welcome .
Old 15-09-2016, 12:13 AM   #20
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Nice work Mik .... see I knew I read it "somewhere" ... LOL
Old 15-09-2016, 01:11 AM   #21
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

indeed you did mate , your grey matter is still working well ;) .
cheers .
2 users like this post:
Old 15-09-2016, 01:15 PM   #22
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Great work gents!