Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 22-06-2015, 06:29 PM   #1831
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

Default Re: My first 100 km ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny View Post
Today was the Brissie to Bay 100km ride I've been building up to for the last 6 weeks - my first 100 km ride; and was it great!

Well, apart from having to be there at 5.45am for a 6.15 start... standing around in lycra in the stifling 11 degree heat until I was able to start at 7am. There were about 5000 riders taking part in the 100km route, and the starts were staggered in groups. But after that it was non-stop for the first 24km, with traffic control, all the way out to Wynnum, on the bay, and down to Cleveland Point. There were rest points with water and fruit available, but I had my home made energy bars (Thanks to the GCN Youtube channel) and electrolyte drink bottle.

The last part of the ride, from 63km onwards, was limited traffic control. As such, when there was a red light, there would be anything from 50-200 riders bunching up waiting for the green. This was also the start of the hilly bits, and where I found I was passing most people. I know it wasn't a race, but...

Once I got to the 80km mark, I was looking for fatigue to set in, but I got a puncture instead, and earned a 10 minute break! It started to get busy when the ride joined with the 50km and 25km courses.

It seems the cruellest hills were just after the 100km mark through Highgate Hill (Suburbs that have "Hills" in their name are usually difficult to ride through), with lots of people pushing their cycles up these (my guess, the 25km course participants), but the last half kilometre was a nice downhill run to the end.

A nice surprise as I turned in toward the finish line in Musgrave Park, they announced my arrival on the loudspeaker as I crossed! Some poor people must have had the job of looking up the entry numbers to bring up the names of the rider for the announcer to call out as they came over the line (over 9000 riders in all the events!)

In the end, I completed the 104km course in 4hr 7min, with about 28 mins in downtime with rest stops and puncture repairs. I averaged 25.3 km/hr, which I'm happy with. Six weeks ago, I'd rarely average that speed on my 18 km commute!

So all in all, what a fantastic day! I'll do it again in a flash. I even managed to raise over $400 for MS before the event (another thing I've never done before!)

And I have to give a big thanks to the guys on here who have given me tips and advice, sharing their experience along the way. I've taken it all on board, which led to an enjoyable day, and I could have gone a lot further! Cheers!
Swanny, that is an awesome effort. You should be proud that that was your first 100, as I heard it was a gruelling course, even for some of the regular riders. I also did the Brissie to Bay yesterday, but seeing as my a55 hasn't been on the bike for the last 18 months (I've probably only ridden 80kms in that time - embarrassing I know) I only did the 25km, which was full of hills anyway. But I knew the hills in Woolloongabba and Highgate Hill, so my aim was just to finish without doing the walk of shame, and I achieved that, so I was happy.

Agree about the road closures etc... I thought that there would have been a better setup as the only road / intersection closures were up to the Gabba sports ground, beyond that we were just riding on the road with red light stoppages and just in normal traffic. I felt sorry for those kids doing the ride as it did get hairy coming back on Stanley St.

But good effort and now you should line up the Brisbane to Gold Coast in October
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-06-2015, 11:43 PM   #1832
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Default Re: New to cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT View Post
Great work Swanny. I could see from your Strava activity that you were set up well for a good day.

So what is the next challenge?
Sell the bike? Nah! I'd like to increase my distance (maybe an imperial century?), but also take on some hills. There's a few around my area, starting at 150 metre climbs, up to Clear Mountain, Mt Nebo etc. I'm going to build up to something like that. I think the strength from climbing should help with speed and endurance on the flats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_Boss260
Swanny, that is an awesome effort. You should ...
... line up the Brisbane to Gold Coast in October
Thanks Sam, I was wondering if you would be in the ride somewhere, being that you started this thread! I've often wondered how you were going, and glad you've still got the bike. Now you have to ride it more!

Do you want to do the Brisbane to Gold Coast?

2016 Ford Falcon FG/X XR6 Turbo you beaut ute
1985 XR4Ti Sierra - Build Thread
1971 Fairlane 500
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them
Captain Stubing is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2015, 09:25 AM   #1833
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Anybody use an indoor trainer at all and using the new Zwift software? It is currently out in beta and is a pretty good motivator.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/09/u...s-trainer.html
Old 24-06-2015, 01:00 PM   #1834
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I feel for the family and friends. Just goes to show not even standing out like a beacon with high vis clothing will stop ignorance.

http://www.news.com.au/national/vict...-1227412393365

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2015, 11:02 PM   #1835
GUTLES
Adam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
Anybody use an indoor trainer at all and using the new Zwift software? It is currently out in beta and is a pretty good motivator.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/09/u...s-trainer.html
Yeah Trevor I posted about this on page 60.

I've used it a few times, helps with an otherwise very very boring Trainer Session!

Only trouble I had was my Sensors kept dropping out on a Windows Laptop, but works fine on my MacBook.

2007 BF Mk2 Winter White E-Gas Wagon, 6 Seater.

2002 AU3 XR6, Liquid Silver, Manual, Sunroof, LPG, Rebel Kit, BA GTP's, Momo Steering Wheel & Gear Knob.
GUTLES is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-06-2015, 03:04 PM   #1836
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Took the roadie for a rare ride this afternoon. Skinny tires and ice make for a nervous rider

MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2015, 04:09 PM   #1837
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

That'd be a bit like ice skating, wouldn't it? I don't know that I could relax enough to enjoy the ride...

2016 Ford Falcon FG/X XR6 Turbo you beaut ute
1985 XR4Ti Sierra - Build Thread
1971 Fairlane 500
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them
Captain Stubing is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2015, 04:32 PM   #1838
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE View Post
Took the roadie for a rare ride this afternoon. Skinny tires and ice make for a nervous rider

Geez you're game mate. Drift city on bike tyres. haha Other than that. top picture.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2015, 05:09 PM   #1839
prydey
Rob

Quote:
I don't know that I could relax enough to enjoy the ride...
so you reckon you'd have a nice tight grip on the saddle

makes me think twice about whinging about the cold here.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-06-2015, 06:31 PM   #1840
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That'd be a bit like ice skating, wouldn't it? I don't know that I could relax enough to enjoy the ride...
Certainly had to to be careful in the shady areas, if it wasn't snow and ice it was mud and cow manure, the bike looked like a mountain bike when I got home.
Old 28-06-2015, 06:34 PM   #1841
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post

makes me think twice about whinging about the cold here.
It was a balmy 7c out of the sun so not too bad
Old 28-06-2015, 06:38 PM   #1842
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Gotta love how you stuffed the pedal into the snow ball to keep the bike upright for the photo shoot...
Nice pic.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2015, 06:59 PM   #1843
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking Re: New to cycling

Quote:

Got caught once in a hail storm , and the only way home was 20k downhill . I was getting super cold , standing on the side of the road , thinking it would pass, and I would be on my way very shortly .. Well , it persisted , so , shaking like a leaf against a winter's breeze , I decided to set out .. The hail were like ball bearing , and I hadnt covered a 1k , before I decided to hop off. Thumb out , I got a lift to the bottom , hop out of the car , and made my way home ...
I have friends in Canada and the UK, whom constantly talk about the challenges the ice and storm bring to their riding .. During the winter , they do a lot of indoor sessions .
Batmobile is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2015, 07:40 PM   #1844
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmobile View Post
Got caught once in a hail storm , and the only way home was 20k downhill . I was getting super cold , standing on the side of the road , thinking it would pass, and I would be on my way very shortly .. Well , it persisted , so , shaking like a leaf against a winter's breeze , I decided to set out .. The hail were like ball bearing , and I hadnt covered a 1k , before I decided to hop off. Thumb out , I got a lift to the bottom , hop out of the car , and made my way home ...
I have friends in Canada and the UK, whom constantly talk about the challenges the ice and storm bring to their riding .. During the winter , they do a lot of indoor sessions .
Haha nice one.

I run in all weathers but am a bit more particular when riding. It had been eighteen days without a ride so I felt compelled to go and there is more snow on the MTB tracks than the road so the roadie won.
Old 28-06-2015, 08:08 PM   #1845
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Haha nice one.

I run in all weathers but am a bit more particular when riding. It had been eighteen days without a ride so I felt compelled to go and there is more snow on the MTB tracks than the road so the roadie won.
I , definitely would have chosen the MTB tracks . It's funny I can ride the MTB in the rain and freezing temperature , yet find it extremely painful on the road bike . Might have something to do with canopy cover , slower speeds and the fact that you never sit still on the MTB bike ???
I can get up in the freezing temp and rain to complete in a 24hr event , yet I don't know I could do the same on a the road bike . Go figure ????
I can't wait to get my new MTB bike , having recently sold my 26er dually .
Old 28-06-2015, 08:21 PM   #1846
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I , definitely would have chosen the MTB tracks . It's funny I can ride the MTB in the rain and freezing temperature , yet find it extremely painful on the road bike . Might have something to do with canopy cover , slower speeds and the fact that you never sit still on the MTB bike ???
I can get up in the freezing temp and rain to complete in a 24hr event , yet I don't know I could do the same on a the road bike . Go figure ????
Yep I'm the same but the road bike has been badly neglected.

Quote:
I can't wait to get my new MTB bike , having recently sold my 26er dually .
What are you getting ?
Old 30-06-2015, 12:13 AM   #1847
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yep I'm the same but the road bike has been badly neglected.

What are you getting ?
Definitely a 29er dually .. I have been invited to media release of the new Trek Top Fuel . You may recall the Top Fuel some years back - it was marketed as the finest weapon for the XC competitor , but having ridden the on one of my favorite courses I disliked the loss of power due to pedal bob ..
They ve been working on it's replacement for some years and believe they have cancelled the pedal bob effect .
I have narrowed my choice to either a Specialized S Works Epic , or Cannondale Scalpel Team
If I can get the Cannondale at the right price , I will probably lean towards it , however , as per usual Giant are throwing out last year Anthem at under $4,000 which is hard to pass up.
Old 30-06-2015, 01:55 AM   #1848
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

S works Epic is a weapon , Giant is best bang for buck ( I got Trance 29er) - I believe 29er is best choice for taller rider , not so tall maybe better on 27.5.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2015, 12:24 AM   #1849
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68 View Post
S works Epic is a weapon , Giant is best bang for buck ( I got Trance 29er) - I believe 29er is best choice for taller rider , not so tall maybe better on 27.5.
To be honest , aesthetically I would be better on a 27.5 , however , haven ridden the 29er , I just loved the way it flattens out the course littered with roots, water grates , small rocks , etc ... I have demo both the 29er in a hard tail and dually , back to back , and felt so much stronger, confident and faster on the dually .. I found there was no need to pick , point and squirt, you just hang on and squirt ..
I am looking forward to the unveil of the Trek tomorrow .
Old 02-07-2015, 08:44 AM   #1850
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wahoo - The TDF commences on Saturday , with 10 skinny Australian's taking the line, and all will be looking for their opportunity in the sun. The contenders remain Nabali, Contador, Froome and Quintana ..
Will this be the year for the lightly build , quiet Colombian Quintana , to take the top step in Paris ??
Old 03-07-2015, 05:04 PM   #1851
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

I am loving this Zwift thing married up to a Kickr for this cold winter we're having down here in Antarctica. Check it out if you have a trainer, it is a very motivating new software program unlike any other really where you are riding a course with other people who are also on trainers from around the world. Was on it the other day and two of the motorcycle racers I know were riding the course at the same time, one in Japan and one in Goulburn, but we were riding together on the computer!
2 users like this post:
Old 05-07-2015, 11:12 AM   #1852
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Picked up my giant trance 3 on Thursday done a few kms on it already. Been up in the local Hills some of which got the better of me. Heaps of fun though,all the runs are graded like ski runs for difficulty level. Really impressed with the bike though and I can only get fitter the more I ride it.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 05-07-2015, 08:13 PM   #1853
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Couple of pics i took.

- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 05-07-2015, 09:14 PM   #1854
prydey
Rob

Awesome pics
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2015, 12:18 PM   #1855
mcnews
Trev

Did the Warburton - Lilydale Rail Trail on Sunday aboard the MTB, don't like taking roadie on wet rail trails etc. and caking them with mud. Took no pics :-)
Old 06-07-2015, 05:18 PM   #1856
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Got the road bike out again this afternoon, was a cold but beautiful day. Apart from nearly getting sucked under a logging truck at a 100 kph and a head on with 50 head of cattle beasts it was a great ride. No snow or ice either.

6 users like this post:
Old 06-07-2015, 05:25 PM   #1857
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

You guys are prob gonna get sick of me posting in here lol.
I had a long weekend this weekend so along with the above i went for another ride today, put the bike in the car and headed over to a place called hunchback hill in Wodonga, first time ive ridden there.
Got there and rode/walked the fire trail to near the top then came down a trail next to it then ended up in someones paddock, along came another MTB'er he was pretty new to the area on a Giant Anthem, so i rode with him a bit and went to the top of the main trail down, technical rocky gardens switchbacks couple of tabletops (jumping isnt my forte, often resulting in a front wheels down first and over the hangers ) The ride/walk to the top was worth it. Ill try get some pics of the trails im riding when i go out but i get caught up having too much fun to worry about pics.
Awesome area to ride.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 06-07-2015, 05:45 PM   #1858
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
You guys are prob gonna get sick of me posting in here lol.
I had a long weekend this weekend so along with the above i went for another ride today, put the bike in the car and headed over to a place called hunchback hill in Wodonga, first time ive ridden there.
Got there and rode/walked the fire trail to near the top then came down a trail next to it then ended up in someones paddock, along came another MTB'er he was pretty new to the area on a Giant Anthem, so i rode with him a bit and went to the top of the main trail down, technical rocky gardens switchbacks couple of tabletops (jumping isnt my forte, often resulting in a front wheels down first and over the hangers ) The ride/walk to the top was worth it. Ill try get some pics of the trails im riding when i go out but i get caught up having too much fun to worry about pics.
Awesome area to ride.
Sounds choice bro
Old 06-07-2015, 05:55 PM   #1859
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Nice wheels Dallas

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon