Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Laser and Telstar

Old 26-01-2012, 06:23 PM   #1
BlackDalek
Starter Motor

Exclamation Telstar GL 2.0 engine trouble...

Got a 1983 Telstar GL 2.0 automatic.
Recently has started revving excessively while in drive travelling between 20-40km/h along totally flat unimpeding roads.
What could be causing this? Is our car about to die?

BlackDalek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2012, 06:33 PM   #2
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 
Default Re: Telstar GL 2.0 engine trouble...

I would be guessing it is a problem within the transmission itself, if not it could be to do with a sensor malfunctioning. If you don't know the cars service history then it may well be in need of an auto transmission service
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2012, 02:49 PM   #3
BlackDalek
Starter Motor

ok... we now know this is something to do with the fuel system.
Car doesn't start at all now unless you physically pour a tiny amount of fuel directly into the engine. Then car will run for about 2-3 hours no problem. But if the car is left parked and not running for say, 4 hours, it won't start again.

Little to no fuel seems to be getting from the tank to the fuel filter.

There is a LOT of greasy black muck leaking out of engine gasket which needs replacing.

The air injection pipes were completely clogged with what looks like a sandy ash-like substance. (see photos - connections for both rubber hoses and powdery substance from inside).

All these problems may have been caused by E10 fuel being used in the car for about 2 years before we found out this car is not suitable to use E10... oops!

Is it likely the fuel pump is knackered?

Any other ideas
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5429.JPG (70.5 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5431.JPG (83.2 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5437.JPG (66.9 KB, 30 views)
Old 28-04-2012, 09:34 AM   #4
BlackDalek
Starter Motor

The guy at the garage told us that stuff clogging the air hoses was just exhaust soot and nothing to worry about.
Also they said they put a new valve in the fuel line because the fuel was flowing out of the enigne and back into the tank.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:18 PM   #5
graham7773
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Did they fit a new fuel filter while they were there? I have a 1993 Telstar efi 2L and it is not supposed to use e10 as well. I did not find out until I got on to "Car Buddy" online and got the specs for my car. Alcohol (e10) eats fuel hoses and causes other damage. My is tuned for 91 unleaded and can use 95 but there is no detectable difference between the 2 fuels. I tried 98. NOOOO. Engine was pinging its head off. I guess your car is a carby model? Is it working ok now? I found that I get better mileage with the 91 or 95.

Last edited by graham7773; 02-05-2012 at 08:24 PM.
graham7773 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2012, 08:34 PM   #6
BlackDalek
Starter Motor

Cool Re: Telstar GL 2.0 engine trouble...

Yes, we had already replaced the fuel filter.

We haven't had any more problems since they put the one-way valve in the fuel line. Car seems to be running fine now.

The air hoses that were all clogged up are all rusted away but the garage told us not to worry about it as they serve no critical purpose and are only there for "environmental" reasons.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:19 PM   #7
graham7773
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good to hear your car is running ok now. Yep, they (the corroded parts) are for "pollution control" today known as emission control as well. You probably will be at little risk of getting caught but if your emission control system is not working properly, there are some fairly heavy fines out there you can be hit with. As for a "non return valve" or one way valve in the fuel line I must have missed something in my experience with carburetted engines. Never seen one. Most of the earlier Japanese and Korean cars actually had a return to tank line which operated when the engine was on over run eg coasting down a hill with the mechanical fuel pump still pushing fuel to the carby. Excess fuel was diverted back to the tank through the fuel return line. Have you replaced your fuel tank filler cap recently? Vacuum build up in the tank can draw fuel back to the tank. The cap has a one way valve in it. If it fails you get either vacuum build up or pressurised tank.
graham7773 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2012, 11:11 AM   #8
Chief Tool
Starter Motor

Yeah those corroded parts are the reed valve housings for the air injection.
About the only problem is that if they leak they'll leak exhaust gasses and exhaust noise under the bonnet.

You can remove the air injection nozzles fairly easily and screw some bolts into the holes if itsa serious problem
Chief Tool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post