Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-10-2020, 10:46 PM   #1
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default 2020 Ford Puma ST-Line review

Quote:
Is this the SUV Ford needed most?

MSRP $32,340 8.3/10

Positives:

* One of the most fun SUVs/crossovers to drive
* Terrific engine and auto
* Spacious boot is clever in multiple ways
* Drive-away specials until the end of 2020

Negatives:

* High RRPs for a pint-sized SUV/crossover
* Australia misses out on Megabox drain plug
* Rear-seat space could be more generous

It’s goodbye EcoSport and hello Puma, as Ford revives an old badge for its crucial, new baby crossover.

The Ford Puma may be named after the round-faced species of the big-cat family, but it’s very much the cub of the Blue Oval’s SUV family.

Was going to copy and paste the lot but it's a long review!

https://www.drive.com.au/new-car-rev...mePageReviews3

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2020, 12:02 AM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: 2020 Ford Puma ST-Line review

Still using the same 1.5L Ecoboost engine at 92KW as the WZ Fiesta Sport.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2020, 01:14 AM   #3
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Still using the same 1.5L Ecoboost engine at 92KW as the WZ Fiesta Sport.
I think the 1.5 litre Ecoboost was in the Focus.

My son had the choice of the 3cyl 1 litre turbo or 1.5 litre NA in his Fiesta (he took the 1.5 litre NA, it's not a bad engine).

That would make it worthwhile, alas it says in the Drive article that it's the 3cyl 1 litre turbo...
Ratmick is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2020, 01:17 AM   #4
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratmick View Post
I think the 1.5 litre Ecoboost was in the Focus.

My son had the choice of the 3cyl 1 litre turbo or 1.5 litre NA in his Fiesta (he took the 1.5 litre NA, it's not a bad engine).

That would make it worthwhile, alas it says in the Drive article that it's the 3cyl 1 litre turbo...
Correct - its the 1L turbo, I stand corrected.

So looking at this 'ST-line' Puma:

- Based on Fiesta platform
- Uses 1.0L 3 cyl turbo Ecoboost same as WZ Fiesta Sport
- Larger car, same engine, same power.

So really its a Fiesta on stilts using the same engine as 6 years ago, except it'll handle worse, use more fuel and go slower:

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...se-ad-6420774/

This is like the Thailand Special of SUVs.

Whats this trend of devaluing the 'ST' badge by naming everything 'ST Line'? They've done it with the Mustang name with that new Mustang SUV thing too.

Might see an 'F350-line' Ranger or something soon that has fancy seats and a 240V inverter in the dash thats a $17,500 option package and we'll wheel out the old 4.0L V6 from the Ford Courier from 15 years ago as the 'performance' option.

The only thing I hate more than SUV's are people who bastardise Pizza, its supposed to have **** all on it and a thin base! SUV's are the pizza ham topping, with egg, pineapple and all sorts of other nonsense that appear on Pizzas, give me the margherita and maybe chuck some fresh basil on it.

Ford has nothing to aspire to anymore, the only thing they have is a bunch of wishy washy SUVs, a ute with two wheezy diesel engines (one of which has been around for 9 years) and have no entry point for a young kid to buy into the Ford family as there is nothing under $30K on the market with a Ford badge.

I got my start into the Ford family with an $18,000 DA WS Fiesta I bought new when I was 17.

There is nothing for the next 17 year old Franco to get their foot in the door to become a consistent Ford customer.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 04-10-2020 at 01:39 AM.
3 users like this post:
Old 04-10-2020, 10:08 AM   #5
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am hearing you big damo.
After an LR LS LT LZ and a WT fiesta in between I recently traded the LZ on a new Skoda Fabia wagon 1.0 70kw /160 nm five speed manual $18990, drive away. the ultimate tight **** car as far as buy price goes.
Had Ford still been selling Fiesta it would be a Ford.
If Ford had been selling a 23k 6 speed manual SA focus I may have stretched to that number.
But no Ford is now a plus 30k car seller and locked and loaded on SUV,s/dual cabs. Cant blame them on SUV and dual cab focus as that is what 75 per cent of the market is buying.
but yeah for guys like you and me that loved our 4 cylinder reasonably priced Fords for their handling and the TDCI stuffed in the LT with a six speed manual we have been left high and dry.
My daughter wants to trade her 2015 Corolla. I ve suggested she look at Cerato I30 Polo Fabia. i told her Toyota and Ford are overpriced. She just wants A to B transport anyway.
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-10-2020, 07:42 PM   #6
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Ford has nothing to aspire to anymore, the only thing they have is a bunch of wishy washy SUVs, a ute with two wheezy diesel engines (one of which has been around for 9 years) and have no entry point for a young kid to buy into the Ford family as there is nothing under $30K on the market with a Ford badge.

I got my start into the Ford family with an $18,000 DA WS Fiesta I bought new when I was 17.

There is nothing for the next 17 year old Franco to get their foot in the door to become a consistent Ford customer.
Whilst I do understand what you are saying, especially there being no true entry models to the brand, but no Ford's to aspire too?

Fiesta ST, Focus ST and 5 Mustang variants to choose from, desirable performance cars spread across a wide range of price points. This is more than many other brands on the market.

Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 04-10-2020, 08:28 PM   #7
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Whilst I do understand what you are saying, especially there being no true entry models to the brand, but no Ford's to aspire too?

Fiesta ST, Focus ST and 5 Mustang variants to choose from, desirable performance cars spread across a wide range of price points. This is more than many other brands on the market.

Fiesta/Focus ST aren't something people 'aspire' to, they're 'hot' hatches (I use that term loosely with the Fiesta ST) that make circa half as much power as our local cars were making over a decade ago, at similar price points. They're wrong wheel drive, small cars.

We've got a WZ Fiesta ST with the Mountune package in our family, its nothing special, its literally a muscled up version of my first car and its the daily driver of a 60 year old man, its a good car but its not something I'd call impressive or consider 'aspirational', nor is the new one worth the 'Ford Performance' branding by any mark (also 5 doors only, WTF?).

Maybe the Mustang, but again its not an aspirational car for someone younger than a baby boomer or older Gen X - that brand means nothing to me, the one that has a connection with me (ST) they're slapping on 92KW SUVs with a whole 170NM of twist, what are they doing to get a Generation Z buyer on the hook?

Mercedes is a brand which is on point and you can see it with this premium brand sitting in the top 10 sales figures, they've got everything covered - this is a big turnaround of a brand that's gone from appealing only to salty old white men with their ugly cars from the 1990s/00s to suddenly appealing to younger buyers in the past 10 years with a design language change and a huge range of models, albeit at a higher price point, but it has the badge for it - the amount of younger people you see driving about in new Mercs in Melbourne is nuts. They have a range that covers everything, it goes from mid $40K to $400K+ from hatches, sedans, coupes with commercial vehicles thrown in too.

Ford Australia is too busy trying to be Volkswagen without the German name.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 04-10-2020 at 08:57 PM.
Old 04-10-2020, 10:05 PM   #8
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
this is a big turnaround of a brand that's gone from appealing only to salty old white men with their ugly cars from the 1990s/00s
Oi!...
Old 05-10-2020, 10:12 AM   #9
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes Damo Mercedes is a good example. MB bring in a wide range of vehicles and sub types. I think A class outsells SA Focus 2.5 to one. But SA Focus has no sedan and only one engine option and my pet no manual (neither does MB to be fair).
Ford just cant be bothered with ''complexity'' unless its Ranger.
Old 05-10-2020, 11:59 AM   #10
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Puma is great, so glad I went and took it for a test drive as it surprised me how nice the package is.
Sometimes we get so bitter about what Ford does or doesn't do that it clouds judgement on the actual vehicle.
The price is up there but I think this vehicle is good enough to justify that, we'll see how the market feels about
that but at least Ford is still trying new vehicles.

Last edited by jpd80; 05-10-2020 at 12:08 PM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2020, 12:05 PM   #11
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
Yes Damo Mercedes is a good example. MB bring in a wide range of vehicles and sub types. I think A class outsells SA Focus 2.5 to one. But SA Focus has no sedan and only one engine option and my pet no manual (neither does MB to be fair).
Ford just cant be bothered with ''complexity'' unless its Ranger.
We're a small but competitive market but Ford doesn't want to put the effort or work in to engage with us.

They just use Australia as the Asia-Pacific dumping ground, something that works in other RHD markets just send it to Australia, that will do for them and that's that.
Old 08-10-2020, 10:12 AM   #12
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So Damo would you if you had 55k to spend on a car and had a choice of BMW MB or Ford would you take the Focus ST?
Since your comments on MB I ve noticed A class MB and BMW 1 series everywhere. I guess in Germany these compete with SA focus.
Old 08-10-2020, 11:58 AM   #13
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
So Damo would you if you had 55k to spend on a car and had a choice of BMW MB or Ford would you take the Focus ST?
Since your comments on MB I ve noticed A class MB and BMW 1 series everywhere. I guess in Germany these compete with SA focus.
If I had $55K to spend on a car, it had to be new then I'd buy neither, they're not value for money propositions in that price range.

Kia Stinger 330S is what I'd buy

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...HRM-AD-6085008

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 08-10-2020 at 12:05 PM.
Old 08-10-2020, 12:19 PM   #14
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Funny, for once I think they have done a better job than usual but not holding my breath as Ford just seem to struggle with anything that is not fast or a ute.

You guys are looking to deep into this, the target market wont have a clue. It looks good, goes well enough, has the tech, it will all come down to price and if they can find any pussies in the woods.

As for MB and the other Germans, this is long over due, One Ford was a bit of a fail but IMO some manufacturers are way to fat, to many models with minor BS variations etc.

https://www.carsales.com.au/editoria...models-126655/

CV19 has only sped this process up.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2020, 12:52 PM   #15
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
Funny, for once I think they have done a better job than usual but not holding my breath as Ford just seem to struggle with anything that is not fast or a ute.

You guys are looking to deep into this, the target market wont have a clue. It looks good, goes well enough, has the tech, it will all come down to price and if they can find any pussies in the woods.

As for MB and the other Germans, this is long over due, One Ford was a bit of a fail but IMO some manufacturers are way to fat, to many models with minor BS variations etc.

https://www.carsales.com.au/editoria...models-126655/

CV19 has only sped this process up.
Keep in mind Australia is good for Mercedes, it is (was) one of the most profitable car companies in our market.

https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/aus...anies-revealed
Old 08-10-2020, 03:38 PM   #16
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Keep in mind Australia is good for Mercedes, it is (was) one of the most profitable car companies in our market.

https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/aus...anies-revealed
Mind you that was 3 years ago, and they have enjoyed LCT etc to bump those profits.

But profit is profit, they still sell to many variations IMO. Audi and BMW are also guilty and should follow suit.

As for the Puma, I think its a great package, not for me but can see the appeal.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post