Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-11-2010, 04:49 PM   #1
HypnoTECH03
First Ford Owner

Default Unwanted Repairs.

Hey Guys,

Quick Rundown on my issue.

My 01 AU2 Forte Falcon had a few issues like instrument cluster not working, major oil leak, unregistered ect..

My GF's Dad offered to help fix it, get it roadworthy again & get it back on the road.
So we did a swap his 86 Pulsar for my Falcon.
once or twice a week i get a phone call saying found 2nd hand parts for this & that yada yada......
all good and after about 9 days of no contact.. i get a call saying we have replaced this & that, total of about 5-6 different things in the engine.. inc timing chain (which was only 3 months old), water pump (5 months old), engine belt (3 1/2 months old), & much more
Cost so far is at $1080, & they still have not fixed the Oil Leak.. he is now taking it into ford to find out exactly where the problem is.. IF the Head needs taking off its going to have to be machined & put back on..
by the time all that is done total cost is $1800...

including parts that did not go towards roadworthy, interior trim on front doors, center console, front & rear lights (only had 1 that was shorting out).

now is there a NICE way to tell him i am not paying for repairs/parts that were not required in the first place.
i thought going to a friend i'd have less chance of being ripped off than a mechanic..
i would have been better off & possibly cheaper heading to a mechanic 7 weeks ago, had it fixed in a few days and done.. instead of 6-7 weeks off stuffing around & not bothering to properly diagnose the problem before starting repairs!!

i could just go around pick up the car as is (when he is not home) and not pay a cent... but im not that nasty, (as he has paid for all parts/repairs out of his own pocket) not a single repair has been officially authorised by myself for Ford or any other parties to undertake repairs.. he himself has signed & paid for it all..

Any thoughts on the Situation would be appreciated

Cheers Ash

Old 04-11-2010, 04:54 PM   #2
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HypnoTECH03
Hey Guys,

Quick Rundown on my issue.

My 01 AU2 Forte Falcon had a few issues like instrument cluster not working, major oil leak, unregistered ect..

My GF's Dad offered to help fix it, get it roadworthy again & get it back on the road.
So we did a swap his 86 Pulsar for my Falcon.
once or twice a week i get a phone call saying found 2nd hand parts for this & that yada yada......
all good and after about 9 days of no contact.. i get a call saying we have replaced this & that, total of about 5-6 different things in the engine.. inc timing chain (which was only 3 months old), water pump (5 months old), engine belt (3 1/2 months old), & much more
Cost so far is at $1080, & they still have not fixed the Oil Leak.. he is now taking it into ford to find out exactly where the problem is.. IF the Head needs taking off its going to have to be machined & put back on..
by the time all that is done total cost is $1800...

including parts that did not go towards roadworthy, interior trim on front doors, center console, front & rear lights (only had 1 that was shorting out).

now is there a NICE way to tell him i am not paying for repairs/parts that were not required in the first place.
i thought going to a friend i'd have less chance of being ripped off than a mechanic..
i would have been better off & possibly cheaper heading to a mechanic 7 weeks ago, had it fixed in a few days and done.. instead of 6-7 weeks off stuffing around & not bothering to properly diagnose the problem before starting repairs!!

i could just go around pick up the car as is (when he is not home) and not pay a cent... but im not that nasty, (as he has paid for all parts/repairs out of his own pocket) not a single repair has been officially authorised by myself for Ford or any other parties to undertake repairs.. he himself has signed & paid for it all..

Any thoughts on the Situation would be appreciated

Cheers Ash
Mixing business and pleasure, you are in more poo that Flash Gordon.

When you agreed to have him fix it you entered into a contract for which you ARE liable. Apart from that GF's father is not someone to make an enemy of.

This will end in tears.....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2010, 04:59 PM   #3
MYVYSS
Back where I belong

Tell him straight, pay for what has been done...or else..

He will do to you as you are doing to his daughter...without the kiss and cuddle before and or after.

Craig
MYVYSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2010, 05:01 PM   #4
Scott

I feel for you mate but you've painted yourself into a corner by mixing business with family.

This will end in tears.....
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2010, 05:04 PM   #5
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why dont you want to pay him? Not having a go, but he has spent the money on the parts for your car.

I guess put it another way, why should he bear the cost?

I say pay for it and think of it as a lesson learned in communicating exactly what you want done.

These things can ruin relationships, so I dont think its worth it in this case to take it much further.

Your girlfriend's dad has lent you his car and ran around getting parts and spending time fixing your car. The amount of money sounds like a bargain so far in what has been fixed. Try costing a new installed instrument cluster from Ford for example.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2010, 05:05 PM   #6
HypnoTECH03
First Ford Owner

As there is no actual proof of me agreeing for him to fix it.

its just the fact he has gone out of his own way to purchase & install parts that were not necessary.

I'm More than happy to pay the Repairs that actually FIXED the car & get it Roadworthy. but not all the rest of the crap!
Old 04-11-2010, 05:06 PM   #7
sleek7

The sooner you talk to him about the issue the better. Your going to have to come to some sort of agreement...But the sooner you let him know you dont want anything except for x and y changed the better.
sleek7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2010, 05:06 PM   #8
Ozzyiceman
Formula F6 - Hmmmm!

Take the girlfriend hostage and negotiate a trade for your car!
'02 Explorer - V6 - Mineral Grey
One Day! '69 RoadRunner or '71 Plymouth Cuda or '66 Pontiac GTO
Too much horsepower is just about enough." - Carroll Shelby
Ozzyiceman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2010, 05:13 PM   #9
HypnoTECH03
First Ford Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Why dont you want to pay him? Not having a go, but he has spent the money on the parts for your car.

I guess put it another way, why should he bear the cost?

I say pay for it and think of it as a lesson learned in communicating exactly what you want done.

These things can ruin relationships, so I dont think its worth it in this case to take it much further.

Your girlfriend's dad has lent you his car and ran around getting parts and spending time fixing your car. The amount of money sounds like a bargain so far in what has been fixed. Try costing a new installed instrument cluster from Ford for example.
i managed a quote for a 2nd hand cluster which i could have installed myself (done it before) for only $100, he said he could do better. but instead of doing it himself he took it to someone to install it with $280 labor on top of cost!..

1. I did communicate exactly what i wanted done to the car. Fix the Oil Leak, Instrument cluster & replace all the Front Suspension Bushes (which thankfully don't need replacing), & new Drivers Seat Belt..

i had given him a list of everything i had already replaced and how old the parts were..

2. Me and the GF broke up only a week after he got the car.. (he knew it was going to happen anyways)
at this point he had already gutted the car, so i pertty much told him ill hold onto the Pulsar until its fixed.. (mind you i've paid the Rego on the Pulsar to keep driving it!)..

3. Like i said im happy to Pay for all the REQUIRED Costs, but none of the other stuff that did not need replacing.

Hypno
Old 04-11-2010, 05:17 PM   #10
HypnoTECH03
First Ford Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzyiceman
Take the girlfriend hostage and negotiate a trade for your car!
Lol, cant no longer together....
i thought off just driving the pulsar down dropping it off & picking up the Falcon as is and thats it (as i have a spare key),

I've moved houses so he doesnt know where i live :P..

But yeah. im not that nasty!
Old 04-11-2010, 05:24 PM   #11
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
When you agreed to have him fix it you entered into a contract for which you ARE liable. Apart from that GF's father is not someone to make an enemy of.
Enough with the business speak - people dont sign contracts in their backyards FFS.

I think the bloke probably thinks he is helping you out by replacing all of these things and by rights if youre getting all these parts replaced then you probably will get a good car out of it - but did you mention a budget or a 'stop if it gets to $x?

Oh and the 'dont **** off your GF's dad' advice is perfect too. Been there done that.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:24 PM   #12
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Is your missus hot? That would be the main determining factor on how to go about this.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2010, 05:28 PM   #13
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Is he a certified mechanic? Agreed with flappist and MYVYSS, you're pretty much screwed if you want to get out of paying anything.

I commissioned my father recently to build me some furniture, and before anything began we outlined what costs were involved for material, labour and anything else that could need doing in the process.

We agreed if it went past a certain value he would consult me before proceeding, or if it looked like an alternative to something costing a fortune was available it would be discussed between the both of us.

My advice would be to pay up, or you may loose more than just your money...

In summary... THIS ->
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
Is your missus hot? That would be the main determining factor on how to go about this.
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2010, 05:29 PM   #14
buggo
[BU66OS]

You had to pay rego for his car? And your no longer together? Sounds like he's taking you for a ride mate, you made his daughter sad, now he's gonna get you for it sort of thing.
If you have no other connections to this bloke, and after the cars done you have no intention of seeing either him or your old missus again, I'd be saying thanks for the help, but heres the keys to the pulsar, I'd like mine for the Falc, here's what I owe have a nice life.
IMO

BA XR8 Manual
buggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2010, 05:29 PM   #15
HypnoTECH03
First Ford Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Enough with the business speak - people don't sign contracts in their backyards FFS.
The problem with a verbal contract is that it if there is a dispute over the terms it may be difficult to prove its terms. People can forget, deliberately or accidentally, what they have agreed, and if there is no written record of contractual terms & no witnesses it could be 'your word against theirs'.

Obviously, the more valuable the goods or services in question, the more important it may be to have a written agreement.

I gave a list of repairs needed.. but that list is most likely long gone!
Old 04-11-2010, 05:30 PM   #16
JaguarDave

From what you said in your first post you agreed to him arranging to have the car put back to roadworthy condition. Did he indicate to you that he'd do all that on the cheap out of the goodness of his own heart or did you assume that?

Or is it simply that the terms of the "agreement" are now different because his daughter is no longer in your picture?
JaguarDave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2010, 05:30 PM   #17
ltd
Force Fed Fords

So what you're saying is that because you're no longer with his daughter you're going to welsh on someone who you happily agreed to fix it when you and his daughter where together?
This is the same man who has lent you his car and has seen past the fact that your relationship ended and is still trying to help; to show how to be honourable even in difficult circumstances?
My advice to you is to grow up, grow a pair and talk to the man. Ask him about what repairs were done, why and where to from here. Be a man about it and set targets/limits to the repairs and how long it should take, or whether you just pay him for his trouble and take the car back. If you intend not to pay him then at least have the balls to tell him now; don't allow him to keep putting money into it so you can disadvantage him further.

Quote: