Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 20-12-2011, 12:47 PM   #1
Ms_Jam

Default GPS Mount for WS Fiesta

Finally I have decided to get a GPS/satnav unit during the post-Christmas sales.

At this stage I'm thinking of going for a Garmin.

My question is what mount do people recommend? I'm not attracted by the windscreen suction mounts.

I had been thinking of a ClicOn.

I see now that Garmin is selling a little (and cheap) bean-bag type of mount that sits on the dash. I have a feeling, however, that this will push the GPS unit too far forward for easy viewing on the Fiesta.

What are the thoughts of others here?

Ms_Jam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2011, 12:00 AM   #2
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: GPS Mount for WS Fiesta

Ive got a suction one but the clicon stuff looks good.

If you have an existing gps you could hold it in different spots till you find where you like having it inside the car?
GoesLikeAZetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2011, 12:42 AM   #3
Caydus

Speaking of such things, I've been trying to find a good descreet place to mount a on dash compass. The best place to me would be right next to the driver side A pillar almost up against the glass.
But looks like there's actually a magnetic field of some sort under there, makes the compass constantly point SE.
Caydus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2011, 01:05 AM   #4
vhcbm
having Fiesta withdrawals

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Ford couldn't fix my BlueTooth issue. This member posted a download link, with instruction, on how to do it myself. One week on, the unit hasn't played up once. Three different dealers told me to virtually 'Live with it. 

Could be some sort of wiring?

Lights, radio antenna, microphone...

Past: 2009 Ford Fiesta LX in Vision Blue - Sold
vhcbm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2011, 07:01 PM   #5
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

When it comes to GPS systems, I've never understood exactly how aftermarket units are legal to use in the car.

OEM - I understand, the car has been complied with the unit: no real problem: its in the centre console, not in the line of sight.

However: when I was running a Mirage show car with the usual complete audio visual set up, by law the tv screens in the dash were required to be hooked up to the handbrake so they could only operate when the car was stationary. The reason behind this was safety: tv screens could be seen as distracting, and fair enough (bypass the handbrake safety and the car was illegal i.e. not able to be insured, though I'm aware lots do this).

But now, while tv screens are still illegal in the front of the car whilst in motion (rears are fine, obviously) it is completely legal to buy an aftermarket GPS unit and stick it anywhere on the screen: how is this not distracting and dangerous? Of course sensible drivers will just listen to the device, but we share the road with thousands of fools who are, apparently, legally able to look at the screen whilst the car is moving.

The laws around this were clear, but have been ignored as GPS devices have become ubiquitous with Aussie drivers.

This was brought to my attention a few weeks ago when I was on the way, at night, to pick up the better half from work. I was following a Camry and noticed the GPS unit was in a real odd position. When we stopped at a set of lights I gently pulled up beside the gentleman and yes, the GPS was directly in his line of view, in the centre of the screen right above the dash. How he actually saw where he was going I don't know. And, according to how the law is now in force, completely legal (i.e. police cannot be expected to pull over every motorist who has stupidly positioned their GPS unit - they already don't pick up people with mobile phones).

I'm wondering when insurance companies will start to refuse cover because of GPS units like this?

So anyone getting a GPS, position it down below and listen to the directions: or try using an old fashion map and know where you're going before you set off......

So, Ms Jam, that's my thoughts on GPs units and windscreen mounts.
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2011, 12:12 AM   #6
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also add doing makeup, mobile phone playing and also playing around with the car stereo to equally as bad as playing with gps
Old 22-12-2011, 08:01 PM   #7
Spinner77

On the other hand, one of the proudest Australian discoveries is that being forced to glance at your speedo every three seconds is the greatest possible contribution to road safety.

In the more sophisticated parts of the country, this approach is enhanced by encouraging drivers to keep their eyes peeled, looking at the side of the road - to discover which one of the 17 different speed limits applies to the half-kilometre on which they are actually driving.

And everywhere, there is an unofficial policy of tail-gating. Technically against the law, tail-gating has attracted a total of six fines Australia-wide since 1788. And those six police officers were suitably disciplined.

Our deep insight into road safety has been that the less you look at the road, the safer you will be.
Spinner77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2011, 08:18 PM   #8
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

+1 spinner +1
Old 23-12-2011, 12:11 AM   #9
vhcbm
having Fiesta withdrawals

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Ford couldn't fix my BlueTooth issue. This member posted a download link, with instruction, on how to do it myself. One week on, the unit hasn't played up once. Three different dealers told me to virtually 'Live with it. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner77

And everywhere, there is an unofficial policy of tail-gating. Technically against the law, tail-gating has attracted a total of six fines Australia-wide since 1788. And those six police officers were suitably disciplined.
IS that true, 6?

Past: 2009 Ford Fiesta LX in Vision Blue - Sold
vhcbm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2011, 09:57 AM   #10
Spinner77

Quote:
IS that true, 6?
Could be five.

Seriously, I have never heard of anyone being fined for tail-gating in Australia.

But tail-gating is a big no-no in Germany and the Netherlands at least.

Still, what would they know about road safety, eh?
Spinner77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2011, 11:13 AM   #11
trumpy73

Road safety in Australia is generally about 'Ease of Enforcement' rather than practical benefits. Identify the low hanging fruit and go for it.
trumpy73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2012, 03:25 PM   #12
layton
Starter Motor

Yep reckon most drivers are spending far to much time checking for speed cameras. They are everywhere and it has nothing to do with road safety. Its all about revenue. Last time I got fined was going down a long straight road ( 80 kph) and here was the cop sitting down the bottom picking them up one after the other. Was doing 86 and when I asked her how many road accidents had occured along this part of the road got the cold stare. Anyway told her in a nice way to have a great day and hapy to see the police force doing its bit for state revenue.You wonder why average drivers get ****ed off. Been driving for 45 years never had an accident or caused on and this is your reward. I sit on the speed limit have owned and hotted up cars over the years but feel sorry for the younger generation as the"law" is out to get you. No time for idiots but gee what is wrong with doing mods on your car. Most of the mods tend to improve the ride/perforamace anyway so whatt is the big deal. Problem is the few idiots on the road spoil it for the rest. Idiots who drink take drugs and drive should be the main target not some guy cruising around in a modified car.
layton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post