Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 28-11-2007, 08:36 PM   #61
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

As Monty says, the track is the best measure. Bum-o-meter is sometimes distracted by new noises and the subconscious justification of money spent but the ETs don't lie as I found out when I gained 6 tenths out of a Bluepower tune plus some tweaks.

Leaks suck, just had a leak in one of my header gaskets fixed on my new truck, ticking gone which ruins an otherwise sexy engine note.

Goat rocks, the Mitre tav in the Melb CBD has it on tap, beautiful stuff! Pick up a six pakc of the hightail ale from the bottle shop, you won't be disappointed.
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2007, 09:51 PM   #62
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

I wonder if I can grab some of this Goat stuff here? Give it a go .. :
Yer I agree.A good tune is worth around .5 of a second down the track.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2007, 10:42 PM   #63
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stav
If anything,the 3 inch cat is to restrictive. I am going to see if I can fit a 4 or 5 inch cat.I had the car turning both wheels off the mark.Maybe the tune needs adjusting. The extra performance was from a 2.5 inch with a leaky cat to a 3 inch with a leaky cat. There was a big performance increase.This says leaky cat or not the gains are there to be had.The car stll feels much quicker than the 2.5 incher. So whoever doesnt back the 3inch just hasnt really done enough work on them.
From what I read in one of your earlier posts, you don't actually have a 3" exhaust Stav. You have some 3" and some 2.5", so overall, the 2.5" is going to be the effective diameter as it would be restricting the whole exhaust at some point.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2007, 01:42 AM   #64
Damage
Macca from Fordmods

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
From what I read in one of your earlier posts, you don't actually have a 3" exhaust Stav. You have some 3" and some 2.5", so overall, the 2.5" is going to be the effective diameter as it would be restricting the whole exhaust at some point.
hmm : I am thinking the cardboard book again here, if you read all his posts you can work out he removed all the 2.5", after trailing the 2.5" with the 3" cat, he also never fitted a rear resonator with the 3" system, well that is how I quickly read it. Am I correct Stav, or am I the one needing a Mr Men book?
http://tmacmechanical.com.au/
Damage is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2007, 04:09 AM   #65
The Monty
Just slidin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage
hmm : I am thinking the cardboard book again here, if you read all his posts you can work out he removed all the 2.5", after trailing the 2.5" with the 3" cat, he also never fitted a rear resonator with the 3" system, well that is how I quickly read it. Am I correct Stav, or am I the one needing a Mr Men book?

Thats what I read also.
Old 29-11-2007, 02:27 PM   #66
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
I read the same, but I didn't make assumptions about what I read:
Quote:
Put a 3 inch cat,muffler and left the rest at 2.5 inch.
To me, that means all the pipework is still 2.5", with ONLY the cat and muffler being 3".

Quote:
Recently I ditched the rear 2.5 inch resonator and piping.
"Ditched" does not mean replaced with 3".

Your book is in the mail.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

Old 29-11-2007, 03:38 PM   #67
TE205
Starter Motor

Interesting times you ran with both systems. If you take away the difference in the reaction times, it looks like faster times were on the 2.5" system. Reaction time is dead time. According to the temperature too, it was 5 degrees hotter when you ran the slower time. The cooler and denser the air into the car, the more power it will make.
I don't think this really answers the question as to what system makes more power or torque.
TE205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2007, 03:42 PM   #68
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

reaction time does not affect the et

the et timer does not start until the reaction time beam has been broken

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2007, 05:22 PM   #69
The Monty
Just slidin'

Exactly, hence why you see the rotaries with huge as turbos, sitting there trying to spool up and have reaction times of 4 seconds, but still run 7's.

As for track conditions, 5 degrees I doubt would make that much of a difference.
Also, there was an hour and 8 minutes gap between the run before the 15.379, and on the 14.971, there was 56 minutes, Id say the extra 10 minutes of cooling down would counteract the 5 degrees ambient temp difference.
Old 29-11-2007, 05:41 PM   #70
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Yer I got a bit slack and havent updated the stingray build thread.I have had the back 3 inch added a few weeks ago just like the much bigger injectors I am running since May .I just have been plodding away in my garage and with spare time up the side of the road. Trying this n that.

The 2.5 inch remainder is sitting in my garage on the floor.

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Old 29-11-2007, 05:45 PM   #71
gozza

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
If you bothered to do any research at all, and pulled your head out of your crack, youd realise that three inch is a great option for the 6. OED666 runs 13.8 - 3 inch
XTC is a BA with twin 2.25's - 14.4's
I ran 15.379 with 2.5, 14.97 with 3 inch.
If you cant be bothered to do any of your own research dont bother giving your opinion.

OED ran the 13.8 with 2.5Inch

Now has BBM and 3 Inch gained 11 rwhp
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2007, 05:54 PM   #72
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TE205
Interesting times you ran with both systems. If you take away the difference in the reaction times, it looks like faster times were on the 2.5" system. Reaction time is dead time. According to the temperature too, it was 5 degrees hotter when you ran the slower time. The cooler and denser the air into the car, the more power it will make.
I don't think this really answers the question as to what system makes more power or torque.
Timing starts at the track from when you break the first beam.The car did pull those times down a full quarter excluding reaction time. I have ported my own head from a book and got a bigger cam. The car has issues which will leave me stranded if I dont fix them. It doesnt really matter if I give you the cold hard facts as some people choose to belive what theyve been told by the "experts" . I can tell you that the experts are no less human than myself and arent always prepared to go the extra mile as a car enthusiast. I love the au's. Most experts dont because they havent been able to make em go quick. Now the ba's are the flavour of the day.A standard ba with a xorst has alot more power than a modified au six on dynos. At the end of the day I dont care because dynos pretty much suck!!!

Old 29-11-2007, 06:00 PM   #73
FS5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

was just reading those time slips and realised i'm car number 576.
Old 29-11-2007, 06:06 PM   #74
5L
[ 5L ]

3 inch on a 4litre should be ok, lol ive got 5 inchs of pipe to fill on my 5 litre. mine is probably not the best option for power but for how it sounds its definately the best option.

as for dronning i found that the twin 2.25 to a single 2.5" that the exhaust shop put on first in error droned twice as much as the system now.
[ 5L ] 2001 AU series 2 xr8, 220kw, 5speed, leather interior, premium sound, narooma blue, cat back exhaust, k&n filter,willall edit,MSD coil packs, MSD leads, monroe gt gas shocks, superlow kingsprings 187rwkw (mainline)

www.ignitionimages.com
5L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2007, 06:27 PM   #75
The Monty
Just slidin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by FS5
was just reading those time slips and realised i'm car number 576.

Yes you are, thats the only race I won all night, and only because you red lit, lol.
Old 29-11-2007, 07:28 PM   #76
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This thread is a joke, how many of you guys saying a 2.5" is the be all end all and 3" exhausts are crap have had one? How many of these "professionals" have actually done the R & D to determine that the 3" is inferior to the 2.5"? I'm guessing no one here has the answers I'm looking for.
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2007, 08:15 PM   #77
Damage
Macca from Fordmods

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockoau
This thread is a joke, how many of you guys saying a 2.5" is the be all end all and 3" exhausts are crap have had one? How many of these "professionals" have actually done the R & D to determine that the 3" is inferior to the 2.5"? I'm guessing no one here has the answers I'm looking for.
If you have the dosh try both, but to be fair use basically the same mufflers, bends etc in both sizes, sell the one that didn't work for you to someone in here as they will know it has little work.

Back in the 90's they used to say 2.5" was to big for a 6, they also said 3" was to big for a 351 Cleveland, weren't those tosses proved wrong.
http://tmacmechanical.com.au/
Damage is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2007, 12:17 AM   #78
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
If you have the dosh try both, but to be fair use basically the same mufflers, bends etc in both sizes, sell the one that didn't work for you to someone in here as they will know it has little work.

Back in the 90's they used to say 2.5" was to big for a 6, they also said 3" was to big for a 351 Cleveland, weren't those tosses proved wrong.
I guess nail and hammer have connected here. Though, to me, It's not really an issue of whether a 3" is actually too big for an I6 (despite the fact that I did say that earlier, and stand by it). The real issue, is whether a 3" exhaust, at roughly twice the price of a 2.5", actually gives you the extra $$$ benefit over a 2.5". I guess a time saving of 0.3 sec over 400m may be worth the extra cost to some, but not to me.

Also, does a 3" on an I6 really sound that good? I'd doubt it, and the fact that Stav is getting headaches from his tends to suggest it's not - by the time you muffle it so it is at an acceptable (and legal - by EPA standards) noise level, you've probably muffled out/restricted any extra power gain over your run of the mill 2.5" mandrel bent redback or lukey system.

Lastly, to say any I6 with a 3" sounds better than a V8 is ludicrous - nothing sounds as good as a V engine, whether it be 8, 10 or 12 (and yes, even V6). You cannot get the same clashing of exhaust pulses from a straight motor (boxers aside) that you get from a V. But everyone has their own opinion I guess, and some are entitled to it.

Old 30-11-2007, 12:18 AM   #79
OED666
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i have 2 mufflers in my exhaust. the one in front of the diff is 11x8 and the rear is 9x6 IIRC. Its probably quieter than my 2 1/2" with 2 mufflers and a 3 1/2" dump tip.

For a reasonably worked I6 3" seems to be good. I havent lost any bottom end power, even with my BBM stuck on short runners at the moment. I was told that fitting the BBM I would lose top end, but I gained.

I havent been back out to the track yet, but it will go better I believe.