Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-11-2012, 09:30 PM   #1
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Default Should Lincoln come to Australia?

Ever since Ford initiated the Lincoln turn around, I have become quite intrigued in the future of the brand (not just products) - especially on a global scale.

With the announcement the brand will debut in the Chinese market in 2014, I was interested in seeing what your opinions were in regards to starting up the brand here in Australia (& maybe even NZ)?

I'd love to see Lincoln start up here under their new marketing direction ("progressive luxury") with the coming Focus-based compact, MKZ, and all-new MKX in inner city concept dealerships with the full concierge service that they are now offering in the U.S.

Even I, a 19 yo, would snatch up a MKZ - it's just simply beautiful!

For a refresher on the current(ly aged) line-up: www.lincoln.com (N.B. all bar the 2013 MKZ are due for all-new replacements in the next couple of years.)

Let's also try to not start the notorious RWD / Falcon blah blah debate - we've been there, done that (only 1,000,000 times before!) - the fact is, it's not happening in the foreseeable future, so live with it! :P

fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2012, 09:37 PM   #2
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 
Default Re: Should Lincoln come to Australia?

No...

Austalia already has enough brands! lol

I'd rather see the Flacon be the underpinnings for a upmarket Lincoln sedan, that gets sold here as a Fairlane

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-11-2012, 09:42 PM   #3
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's probably a good car, but I think oz is already flooded with motor cars,, I reckon trying to get decent sales numbers would be a very hard task.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2012, 09:44 PM   #4
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No. It has absolutely no heritage or meaning in Australia, nobody under the age of 50 knows what a Lincoln is, and I don't know how well people would take to a marque named after an American president. More importantly, it would probably cannibalise sales of the G6E/Terri Titanium. Besides, Americans just don't do luxury very well.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:58 PM   #5
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Wow, it only took 1 post for the inevitable....

As for market saturation - I can certainly appreciate that point of view and there is probably a great case for that argument. There would definitely need to be availability in other RHD markets to make RHD development viable.

On the other [hypothetical] hand, it would be an interesting marketing experiment to launch the all-new Lincoln brand into a market with virtually no recognition of the current mess they're trying to clean up in the U.S. - I do honestly believe their new approach would leave very little in the way of being scared of the 'American-ness' of the brand and the products are/will certainly be of comparable status (to Lexus etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_The_Win View Post
More importantly, it would probably cannibalise sales of the G6E/Terri Titanium.
Given what the pricing would be like, they wouldn't be cross shopped - A4, 3er, IS and C-Class on the other hand...
Old 10-11-2012, 10:12 PM   #6
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4RD4TW View Post
On the other [hypothetical] hand, it would be an interesting marketing experiment to launch the all-new Lincoln brand into a market with virtually no recognition of the current mess they're trying to clean up in the U.S.
I think the Explorer was proof enough how US market-specific perceptions can quickly damage sales here. And with current medium technologies this problem is only amplified.

Quote:
Given what the pricing would be like, they wouldn't be cross shopped - A4, 3er, IS and C-Class on the other hand...
Lincoln have a LOT of catching up to do if they want to price their vehicles like the ones you sugggest.

Not trying to shoot you down here, just offering some relevant points

I personally would love to see Lincoln here, or at least one badged as a Fairlane.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2012, 10:34 PM   #7
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagleheart View Post
I think the Explorer was proof enough how US market-specific perceptions can quickly damage sales here. And with current medium technologies this problem is only amplified.
Perhaps, but I'd be willing to bet the MKZ and all-new MKX marketed well would create quite the buzz among the target market and the interested alike.

Quote:
Lincoln have a LOT of catching up to do if they want to price their vehicles like the ones you suggest.
I imagine a fully optioned MKZ nearing $65 -$70k AUD - that would make it somewhat of a bargain compared to what's being charged by Audi/BMW/M-B...
This user likes this post:
Old 10-11-2012, 10:58 PM   #8
4stanger
Powered By EcoBoost

Quote:
Ever since Ford initiated the Lincoln turn around, I have become quite intrigued in the future of the brand (not just products) - especially on a global scale.

With the announcement the brand will debut in the Chinese market in 2014, I was interested in seeing what your opinions were in regards to starting up the brand here in Australia (& maybe even NZ)?
IMHO- If any Ford based North American product was to be brought here to the asian pacific market, let it be the Mustang.
4stanger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2012, 11:14 PM   #9
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I think it would be a good idea, GM has brought Opel here, and they're marketing it like some upmarket German brand from their ads.

Bring Lincoln over and don't associate it with Ford, people wouldn't know any better and it removes the Ford negative stereotype.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2012, 11:14 PM   #10
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That just creates a biased thread. Ford need to try to get the Falcon selling not bring in more imports as direct competition. and yes when Aussies look for larger cars RWD is the prefered option
Quote:
Let's also try to not start the notorious RWD / Falcon blah blah debate - we've been there, done that (only 1,000,000 times before!) - the fact is, it's not happening in the foreseeable future, so live with it! :P

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2012, 11:37 PM   #11
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Bring Lincoln over and don't associate it with Ford, people wouldn't know any better and it removes the Ford negative stereotype.
Cha-ching! Hence it could just work here and in other places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6 View Post
That just creates a biased thread. Ford need to try to get the Falcon selling not bring in more imports as direct competition. and yes when Aussies look for larger cars RWD is the prefered option
Bias toward what? Reality?

I fail to see how a $65k Mondeo-sized luxury car would be direct Falcon competition? Sure, in reality it's about 98% of the size of a Falcon, but it's still a different league altogether.

Also, the kind of people Lincoln are targeting with the new MKZ don't mind for FWD/AWD layouts.

The only type of reference to Ford in this thread should really be in the context of FoMoCo, too - Lincoln is it's own brand, would be here for it's own reasons and would ideally have NOTHING to do with FoA.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:47 PM   #12
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Perhaps, but I'd be willing to bet the MKZ and all-new MKX marketed well would create quite the buzz among the target market and the interested alike.
But who exactly is the target market? Who would buy Lincolns if they came to Australia?
Old 10-11-2012, 11:54 PM   #13
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
But who exactly is the target market? Who would buy Lincolns if they came to Australia?
People who buy Lexus that are unaware that its a fancy Toyota.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2012, 12:04 AM   #14
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

From "luxury" cars to their Turks, Yanks just don't get the idea of quality...not on the level we're used to. Horrible plastics, shoddily built, technically behind. They do make good cars, but sometimes they just trip over their feet and put out monstrosities that only a badge blind made in the USA customer would accept.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2012, 12:19 AM   #15
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just thought it was a bit arrogant of you asking what we think of a car but then telling us not to make comparisons with the falcon we are entitled to our opinions and if we fell the comparison is justified what right do you have to tell us to ignore it
Quote:
Cha-ching! Hence it could just work here and in other places.

Bias toward what? Reality?

I fail to see how a $65k Mondeo-sized luxury car would be direct Falcon competition? Sure, in reality it's about 98% of the size of a Falcon, but it's still a different league altogether.

Also, the kind of people Lincoln are targeting with the new MKZ don't mind for FWD/AWD layouts.

The only type of reference to Ford in this thread should really be in the context of FoMoCo, too - Lincoln is it's own brand, would be here for it's own reasons and would ideally have NOTHING to do with FoA.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2012, 12:35 AM   #16
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
No. It has absolutely no heritage or meaning in Australia, nobody under the age of 50 knows what a Lincoln is, and I don't know how well people would take to a marque named after an American president. More importantly, it would probably cannibalise sales of the G6E/Terri Titanium. Besides, Americans just don't do luxury very well.
If the name Lincoln is too American, they could always Australianise the name and call it the Gillard.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-11-2012, 12:42 AM   #17
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

At some point surely its inevitable, as they want it to return to a global luxury brand. For the short term though, no. At least let them penetrate Europe first and see how they combat the traditional luxury marques.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2012, 01:13 AM   #18
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6 View Post
just thought it was a bit arrogant of you asking what we think of a car but then telling us not to make comparisons with the falcon we are entitled to our opinions and if we fell the comparison is justified what right do you have to tell us to ignore it
Well you're more than entitled to your own opinion and sharing's caring, but I'm not asking for any sort of comparison here - I'm asking if, on brand merit alone (almost as if FoMoCo never existed and Lincoln did), is the Lincoln brand and it's products compatible with the current Australian luxury car market (read: Audi, BMW, Infiniti, Lexus and Mercedes).

I intended to convey that FoA and the Falc/Terri have not a thing in the world to do with this topic.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:18 AM   #19
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
From "luxury" cars to their Turks, Yanks just don't get the idea of quality...not on the level we're used to. Horrible plastics, shoddily built, technically behind. They do make good cars, but sometimes they just trip over their feet and put out monstrosities that only a badge blind made in the USA customer would accept.
I'm yet to read anything that says any of the current Lincoln's (bar the Navigator) are made with "horrible plastics", or are "shoddily built" and with the new MKZ especially, are "technically behind". As a matter of fact, it's quite the opposite of late...
Old 11-11-2012, 01:32 AM   #20
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO View Post
At least let them penetrate Europe first and see how they combat the traditional luxury marques.
With one fake-chrome plastic hood ornament at a time, I expect!
Old 11-11-2012, 06:33 AM   #21
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
Your use of rhetorical fallacies indicate a lack of critical thinking. You managed to hit stereotyping, generalizing, hyperbole, rhetorical irony, and ad hominem. 5 fallacies in 3 sentences!
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 11-11-2012, 07:35 AM   #22
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Well you're more than entitled to your own opinion and sharing's caring, but I'm not asking for any sort of comparison here - I'm asking if, on brand merit alone (almost as if FoMoCo never existed and Lincoln did), is the Lincoln brand and it's products compatible with the current Australian luxury car market (read: Audi, BMW, Infiniti, Lexus and Mercedes).

I intended to convey that FoA and the Falc/Terri have not a thing in the world to do with this topic.
Would you be willing to lay down $76,000 to $90,000 for either an MKX or an MKZ ?
Because that's what the comparable Lexus sell for here, having limited run RHD production volume costs a fortune.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2012, 09:38 AM   #23
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Absolutely, without a doubt, yes.

Lexus had no history in Australia, and it came across.
Infiniti had no history in Australia, and it's coming across.
Cherry, Geely, Mahindra bla bla bla.

That 'it has no history'argument is the dumbest I have ever heard, a seriously hand-in-sand moment.

I see two things.

(1) brand fragmentation - if that fragmentation helps to benefit Ford rather than disadvantage it, I'm all for it. Why make it hard for Ford/Lincoln when so many other brands are entering the market? Either those against this idea are just trolling, or they want Ford Australia to fail.

(2) Luxury - since losing Range Rover, Jaguar, Aston etc, Ford is in bad need of being able to participate in the Quality/Prestige market. Did Lexus detract from Toyota? Or has it help fool people into thinking that Toyota is higher quality than it actually is?

Lincoln is sorely needed in Australia.

Lukeyson
Old 11-11-2012, 11:09 AM   #24
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Would you be willing to lay down $76,000 to $90,000 for either an MKX or an MKZ ?
Because that's what the comparable Lexus sell for here, having limited run RHD production volume costs a fortune.
One would hope that $76k would be an MKZ Reserve with all the goodies (considering that's about $50k in the U.S.) - not even I believe they could get away with charging $90k! Hence the requirement for other RHD markets - I'm not saying they should be here tomorrow...

Last edited by fou_bleu; 11-11-2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:14 AM   #25
imugli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Plaizier View Post
Absolutely, without a doubt, yes.
Infiniti had no history in Australia, and it's coming across.
Not true IMO...

Infiniti has been here before (remember the q45 experiment?) and there are a bunch of Infiniti G35s getting around on the grey import market. Even Infiniti themselves realise it may be a good thing...

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...257A1600229121
imugli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2012, 11:45 AM   #26
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am rather inclined to silence, and whether that be wise or not, it is at least more unusual nowadays to find a man who can hold his tongue than to find one who cannot...

No..
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-11-2012, 01:13 PM   #27
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One observation.

Luxury Fords have not done very well in Australia in recent years.

LTD, Force, GT-E, F6-E, TL50 all struggled/are struggling and previous attempts at boutique dealerships and models have ended badly.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2012, 01:42 PM   #28
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes, but only if they want to use an Australain built Falcon as the basis for their large sedan!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2012, 01:56 PM   #29
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post
One observation.

Luxury Fords have not done very well in Australia in recent years.

LTD, Force, GT-E, F6-E, TL50 all struggled/are struggling and previous attempts at boutique dealerships and models have ended badly.
I don't seem to be able to stress enough that we're talking about Lincoln here, not Ford or FPV or Tickford or anything related to FoA products or branding at all.

Unlike the examples given, Lincoln isn't a trim level, it is a completely focused brand [now] with focused products - from a marketing standpoint alone this opens up so many opportunities to create a position and identity in the marketplace that Ford or FPV could never achieve with a Falcon or Territory based product - no matter how good the product is in reality, the marketing behind it can only really be in addition to other Falcon products.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:15 PM   #30
GT014

not a fan of the push button shift !!