Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-03-2006, 06:32 PM   #1
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 
Default Accident this afternoon

Was on my way back to Chatswood from Mascot ... and I was ducking along Epsom Road through Rosebery and came across this accident right in front of our other Rosebery office.

Could see billowing smoke from down the road ... then came across this ... the Mazda really didn't have that much damage ... but caught alight quickly ... fire brigade just blocked the road off as I was about to pass and head onto the ED .... but I had to backtrack and take the longer way.

No one was injured in the accident though.

PS: the work VZ Commonwhore wagon was awful to drive too ... first time I ahve driven one ... and hopefully the last ... it felt like a death trap to drive ... I should have taken the AU ute and driven in luxury (would have had a better ride even though it has harder suspension in it).

Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2006, 06:36 PM   #2
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

A shot like that, might be worth ringing the mags and seeing if they want to buy it!
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2006, 06:37 PM   #3
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

was with a a 1megapixel Sharp phone too ... hee hee
right place (or wrong) at the right/wrong time.
Old 22-03-2006, 06:37 PM   #4
Paxton
Cobblers!

Shezus.

Not good. I can't tell in the picture, but is the Commodore alight, not the Subaru Forester. Just from where I'm sitting.

Let that be a lesson to you, don't drive a Commodore.

The cars are Commodore, and Subaru Forester, not Mazda Tribute.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2006, 06:38 PM   #5
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

I heard about a bad accident over the taxi radio on the way to Syd airport (thats where I am right now) at about 4:15pm.. was that it? Looks pretty bad, did they get out ok?

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2006, 06:42 PM   #6
HTCURRY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
was with a a 1megapixel Sharp phone too ... hee hee
right place (or wrong) at the right/wrong time.

glad no one was injured...and about the Sharp phone...wasnt a GX-30 by any chance was it?
HTCURRY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2006, 06:42 PM   #7
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
Not good. I can't tell in the picture, but is the Commodore alight, not the Subaru Forester. Just from where I'm sitting.
Was gonna say the same thing.

How bad did the impact look?
Old 22-03-2006, 06:42 PM   #8
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Was a Mazda 626 sedan .... mid-nineties model.

Must have been on the taxi radio ... the traffic got pretty bad rea quick ... I got out of there luckily ... and good thing I know that area like the back of my hand too.

It's not far from the airport (10 mins away ... less if you drive like me)

The driver's were on the side of the road ... the intersection is bad though ... I used to work in that building and had to turn into that street everymorning ... there's no lines and the road kinks right there ... I have had a few close calls there myself.
Old 22-03-2006, 06:43 PM   #9
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTCURRY
glad no one was injured...and about the sharp phone...wasnt a GX-30 by any chance was it?
How did u guess ... hee hee
Old 22-03-2006, 06:45 PM   #10
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUII_SE_Ute
Was gonna say the same thing.

How bad did the impact look?
I have been in a worse accident that that ... the bonney was up a little bit ... headlight/grille/bumper damage .... Forrester had hardly any damage ... except the flames were getting closer to it as I managed to do a U-turn.

Firies were there damn quick though ... and were putting it out as I started turning.

I'd say a fuel line crack or popped off and sprayed underbonnet .... and caught fire due to heat/exhaust.
Old 22-03-2006, 06:45 PM   #11
HTCURRY

Quote:
How did u guess ... hee hee
went through the whole range, gx10i, 20, 30 before moving on...:
HTCURRY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2006, 06:46 PM   #12
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Was a Mazda 626 sedan .... mid-nineties model.

Must have been on the taxi radio ... the traffic got pretty bad rea quick ... I got out of there luckily ... and good thing I know that area like the back of my hand too.

It's not far from the airport (10 mins away ... less if you drive like me)

The driver's were on the side of the road ... the intersection is bad though ... I used to work in that building and had to turn into that street everymorning ... there's no lines and the road kinks right there ... I have had a few close calls there myself.

Bugger,

From this end, it looks like a VR Commodore. I think its time to get new glasses.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2006, 06:47 PM   #13
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Quote:
Shezus.

Let that be a lesson to you, don't drive a Commodore.

The cars are Commodore, and Subaru Forester, not Mazda Tribute.
I know it wasn't a Tribute ... the 626 looks like a Commie though ... I was driving the Commondore myself .... LOL
Old 22-03-2006, 06:47 PM   #14
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Quote:
Bugger,

From this end, it looks like a VR Commodore. I think its time to get new glasses.

Was an average picture though ... and distance involved ... hee hee
I do agree I would have thought iwas a Commodore if I wasn't there at the scene myself.
Old 22-03-2006, 06:48 PM   #15
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
I have been in a worse accident that that ... the bonney was up a little bit ... headlight/grille/bumper damage .... Forrester had hardly any damage ... except the flames were getting closer to it as I managed to do a U-turn.

Firies were there damn quick though ... and were putting it out as I started turning.

I'd say a fuel line crack or popped off and sprayed underbonnet .... and caught fire due to heat/exhaust.
I was gonna say that it didn't look that bad, and/or the Mazda was poorly built to just go up like that with such small damage.
Old 22-03-2006, 06:58 PM   #16
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

There wasn't that much debris on the road either ... just a hassle with traffic though.
The fire was coming out at the base of the windscreen too.
Old 22-03-2006, 10:29 PM   #17
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Wouldnt the car have a automatic fuel cutoff system so it wouldnt light up like that?

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2006, 11:05 PM   #18
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

That's a good question .... unless it was something else that caused the fire to start ... electrical maybe ... the padding on the underside of the bonnet (but that really should be fire retardant too).

I don't know ... but it was burning and it was about to really take off if it wasn't for the fire brigade being so quick on the scene and dousing the car.

Immediately after the photo I took the flames got a lot larger, the fireman in the picture had just been given the end of the hose/nozzle and he started dousing the Mazda.

Could have been a lot worse though.