Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-03-2021, 12:03 PM   #1
GT88
BA Mk2 Fairmont

Default Nissan X-Trail T32 stalls

Hi all,

Our auto 2016 Nissan X-Trail T32 with 50k km randomly stalls when in P or at the lights. The issue started a few months ago. Happens randomly. The mechanic connected to the computer and couldn't find any faults. Nissan said there are no known issues. It seems the idle isn't right and runs rough which probably causes low revs then a stall.

Had a general service the other month.
Air filter is clean.
I cleaned throttle body. Is it worth resetting the throttle/idle speed? These have electronic throttle bodies and I found the steps required to reset.
The coils appear to be good and working.
Spark plugs aren't due to be replaced for another 50k km so not sure if I should replace?
MAF sensor looks clean but I'll buy the MAF cleaner and spray that out.
I can't hear any vacuum leaks. Is there any tests or things I can do to get some certainty?
I put some Liqui Moly injector cleaner a few days ago. We use 91, not sure if 98 is worth trying?
I understand the fuel filter is a non replaceable part.
Has a new battery as the old recently died.

Any other tips?

Thanks.
GT88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2021, 12:47 PM   #2
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Re: Nissan X-Trail T32 stalls

Is it an auto or a CVT?

When it stalls, can you re-start it immediately? Does it run smoothly once re-started? Can you avoid stalling by keeping the revs up?
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2021, 03:10 PM   #3
GT88
BA Mk2 Fairmont

CVT. Restarts fine and runs normally afterwards. I could keep the revs up but that won't solve the underlying problem.
Old 18-03-2021, 03:22 PM   #4
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I feel it’s a transmission issue, not the motor.
Old 18-03-2021, 05:12 PM   #5
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was going to suggest fuel filter until I read your 2nd last line.
So how does one clean the filter, because while it may be non-replaceable which sounds a bit odd, how can a company guarantee you'll never have one clog or eventually fail?
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2021, 05:59 PM   #6
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Many late model cars have no separate "serviceable" fuel filter.

In most of those cars the filter is part of the fuel pump module, inside the fuel tank.

The life of these is around 150-250k km, so when the fuel pump fails, the whole module (including the filter) gets replaced as a single item.

IMHO the manufacturer should specify a "life" for these things, but they simply don't care about cars outside of the warranty period.

The OP's problem doesn't sound fuel related, I agree with Citroënbender, it could be a CVT drama. At only 50 km you would have a good case for warranty with our consumer laws.

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2021, 06:20 PM   #7
GT88
BA Mk2 Fairmont

Interesting suggestion about CVT. I'll look into that.
The service manual says the fuel filter is an in-tank maintenance free item.
Old 18-03-2021, 06:27 PM   #8
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

A fuel supply problem generally manifests under load, not stopped or at idle. The exceptions are when electrical supply to the in-tank pump are poor (eg the infamous fuel pump earthing issue with older Volvos).

Either way - fuel supply pressure can be checked with a gauge spliced in just before the rail, you snake the flex fuel hose out under the back edge of the bonnet and prop the gauge on the wiper blade to watch it in test driving. The needle position should be solid.